• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

eznark

Banned
Patriots haven't won* a Super Bowl since they were sanctioned by the league for cheating.

I think you guys are misreading that article (or I am). They want more illegal contact penalties (10 yards and a first) which actually hurts the chuck it and fuck it offenses like the Ravens. It probably helps defenses like Green Bay who got called for a lot of PI's that were probably illegal contacts.

Basically the net result should be fewer yards per penalty, hopefully.

eznark

Banned
BtE5oyKCMAA2wXF.jpg:large

jbug617

Banned
I think you guys are misreading that article (or I am). They want more illegal contact penalties (10 yards and a first) which actually hurts the chuck it and fuck it offenses like the Ravens. It probably helps defenses like Green Bay who got called for a lot of PI's that were probably illegal contacts.

Basically the net result should be fewer yards per penalty, hopefully.

I think you are reading it wrong. The title of the article is "More Plays, more defensive penalties trending".

Should of posted more of the article to be fair.

Teams such as the Seattle Seahawks and Patriots, among others, will have to adjust. The Steelers were among the league leaders in defensive coverage penalties because they play tight coverage. The Patriots signed Brandon Browner and Darrelle Revis to do the same.

The idea is to create more offense. Scoring is already at an all-time high, but the NFL doesn't want scoring and offensive production to drop off. The Seahawks won the Super Bowl with their "Legion of Boom" defense. While it was fun to see defense back on the podium, the NFL doesn't want to see the sport go the way of baseball, which is dominated by pitching and low-scoring games.

The themes this year will be more offensive plays and defenses with a harder chance of stopping them.

eznark

Banned
I think you are reading it wrong. The title of the article is "More Plays, more defensive penalties trending".

Oh, the Seahawks are fucked. Tons of illegal contact. What this won't do though is result in a ton more DPI calls, it'll result in more Illegal Contact calls.

Buzz Bissinger wrote an article for the Philadelphia Magazine as this month's cover story. Buzz was pissed off that Nick didn't accept his request to be interviewed. Foles has been on a media blackout this off season, because he wants to focus on football.

Bissinger went on to call Foles a nerd and made jokes about him being boring. It's almost like he's talking about us. Bissinger also mentioned how Foles's family is extremely wealthy without football. The best part of the story was how Buzz struggled to use his patented snark and vitriol on Foles. His only real complaint was that Foles was too humble and that he was the kind of humble that wasn't fake.

The story about the State Championship game Foles lost was something I never heard. Foles's teammate, star OT and Texas recruit coming into his Junior season died on the field only to be revived by Justin Tucker's father.

If you take away Buzz's complaining, it's a pretty great story.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/nick-foles-eagles-profile/

I loved this quote from the article:

Particularly since Foles is the New Face of Philadelphia Sports in a sports-mad town, the newest promise to the Promised Land in the post-Donovan McNabb era. Is he capable of leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl one day? Was the 2013 season aberrant? How will he handle the pressure? Fans need to try to figure out what ticks inside him to remotely know any of the answers.

Instead, what has emerged is a one-dimensional choirboy caricature reflective of a player and a team and a league terrified of individuality. Foles is selling himself, and being sold by the born-again Eagles, as the anti-DeSean: contrite, non-charismatic, cautious, churchgoing, Caucasian. The perfect poster boy for Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and commissioner Roger Goodell’s vision of a new NFL theme park where players have no discernible personality and the Twitter account is laced with Glories to God.

MechDX

Foles is a young kid and needs to go out and have some fun. He is missing out on his youth and wasting time. Needs to go get some hookers, blow, inflatable animal, champagne and hang out with Beiber.

bionic77

He read it wrong but he had the right idea.

There should be more contact penalties instead of the straight up PI gifting insane amounts of yardage. Granted the Steelers couldn't cover anyone last year with or without cheating so I a little biased in how I think the game should be called.

And eznark isn't that nerd fest over? Stop with the DOTA shit!

NFL wants refs to call more defensive penalties in pass coverage this year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nsive-penalties-trending-john-clayton-mailbag
Playoffs will roll around and the refs will swallow the whistle. Teams that had explosive offenses in the regular season will go silent, and defenses that were punished during the regular season for physical play will be rewarded.

tbh I prefer the playoff style of play. Makes field position and the run game important. But the inconsistency is a little frustrating.

bionic77

Gata needs to watch Big Trouble in Little China
While everyone should watch that movie he has move pressing concerns.

He is 4 feet tall, has a 5th grade Florida education, and doesn't know how to get along with other people and is moving into Lunchbox's neighborhood in Detroit. Thats the city that killed RoboCop, how long do you think he will last? If you are one of the very few people who care about Gata's well being then you should worry about him being alive by the end of the year instead of watching all time great action/adventure movies.

MechDX

While everyone should watch that movie he has move pressing concerns.

He is 4 feet tall, has a 5th grade Florida education, and doesn't know how to get along with other people and is moving into Lunchbox's neighborhood in Detroit. Thats the city that killed RoboCop, how long do you think he will last? If you are one of the very few people who care about Gata's well being then you should worry about him being alive by the end of the year instead of watching all time great action/adventure movies.

ir8HaJU.jpg

bionic77

More emphasis on illegal contact when the best offense get's totally shut down. I've never seen that before..
When the Pats were doing it they had knives, clubs and their genitals out when they were running the Colts receivers off of the LOS and even after 5 yards they were pushing them around.

You can't compare this to that.

The Seahawks use their hands and are physical but they never seem to alter the path of the receiver. Thats just great defense. They were just the best team last year playing a team from the JV league. The result wasn't surprising to intelligent people. It only surprised the pundits and the retards that play fantasy.

rando14

Godell hating on my boys, they're just tryna play a litte grabass on defense, it's all good!!

When the Pats were doing it they had knives, clubs and their genitals out when they were running the Colts receivers off of the LOS and even after 5 yards they were pushing them around.

The Seahawks use their hands and are physical but they never seem to alter the path of the receiver. Thats just great defense. They were just the best team last year playing a team from the JV league. The result wasn't surprising to intelligent people. It only surprised the pundits and the retards that play fantasy.

Defenders will have to adapt again and push the limits, but it's getting really fucking tough.

NFL drooling at the thought of having Cowboys-Broncos esque barnburner games every week. To which I say, fuck that!!

bionic77

Godell hating on my boys, they're just tryna play a litte grabass on defense, it's all good!!

Defenders will have to adapt again and push the limits, but it's getting really fucking tough.

NFL drooling at the thought of having Cowboys-Broncos esque barnburner games every week. To which I say, fuck that!!
The Seahawks are going to regress from last year. If they want to repeat Wussle is going to have to take a giant step to make up for that.

When they don't repeat it won't be because of Goodell desperately trying to get has beens like Tammy and Peyton another SB. Roger is too stupid to know by now that no matter what the rules are or how much talent you surround them with, they will always find a way to choke in the playoffs.

To quote a formerly great man who now slums with nerds who think showering is optional: "losers lose".

dionysus

Yaldog
What proof is there that fans like offense? I mean in terms of viewers and revenue generation.

The example that always gets thrown around is the resurgence of baseball during the PED era, but baseball is more popular than ever and offense is down. So that is hardly proof. I think the resurgence of baseball is more attributed to the media coverage surrounding the various single season HR record races.

Sure its beneficial to the league to not have every game be an SEC NCG field goal fest, but that isn't a realistic scenario.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and offense doesn't even exist in that game, just random luck.

Tom Penny

The whole point of jamming WR's is rerouting them and disrupting the timing especially on outside WR's. Good DB's can pin them to the sideline making the QB have to throw a perfect pass in small window.

rando14

Maybe just like Heretic they have a Kaep-nose fetish.

There's a lot of fetishes on GAF that I don't understand, I just gotta put my hands up and say" to each his own"!!

The Seahawks are going to regress from last year. If they want to repeat Wussle is going to have to take a giant step to make up for that.

When they don't repeat it won't be because of Goodell desperately trying to get has beens like Tammy and Peyton another SB. Roger is too stupid to know by now that no matter what the rules are or how much talent you surround them with, they will always find a way to choke in the playoffs.

To quote a formerly great man who now slums with nerds who think showering is optional: "losers lose".

I'm just glad my city got a championship, I honestly thought I'd die before I saw Seattle win anything worth a damn!! Does that thought process make me a loser, yeah it probably does :(

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm just glad my city got a championship, I honestly thought I'd die before I saw Seattle win anything worth a damn!! Does that thought process make me a loser, yeah it probably does :(

Hahahaha yeah that's weird hoping your team just STOPS FUCKING THE HELL AROUND AND MAYBE PLAY SOME GODDAMN COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL BEFORE I DIE OF FUCKING OLD AGE FUCK is pretty silly. Not sure why that would be a concern for anybody, tbh.

Is it bad that I'm rooting for the Bengals to finally win a playoff game this season? On one hand, they're division rivals. On the other hand, the reaction from the fans the moment after it happens when amidst their celebration they realize "oh shit Dalton's getting hella paid now" would be more than worth it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What proof is there that fans like offense? I mean in terms of viewers and revenue generation.

The example that always gets thrown around is the resurgence of baseball during the PED era, but baseball is more popular than ever and offense is down. So that is hardly proof. I think the resurgence of baseball is more attributed to the media coverage surrounding the various single season HR record races.

Sure its beneficial to the league to not have every game be an SEC NCG field goal fest, but that isn't a realistic scenario.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and offense doesn't even exist in that game, just random luck.

People love the college game and their basketball scores and the NFL wants in on that.

Hahahaha yeah that's weird hoping your team just STOPS FUCKING THE HELL AROUND AND MAYBE PLAY SOME GODDAMN COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL BEFORE I DIE OF FUCKING OLD AGE FUCK is pretty silly. Not sure why that would be a concern for anybody, tbh.

It's amazing how the Bills are already screwed and it's only July. Your best player is out of shape and about to get suspended supposedly.

Is it bad that I'm rooting for the Bengals to finally win a playoff game this season? On one hand, they're division rivals. On the other hand, the reaction from the fans the moment after it happens when amidst their celebration they realize "oh shit Dalton's getting hella paid now" would be more than worth it.

Yes. Yes that's very bad to want to see a division rival do well. I still get a chub when the Lions win 3 games a season.

MechDX

I came off as salty against the Seahawks but I honestly was happy for them and their fans. They just happened to be the team that started my teams complete unraveling.

We physically beat their ass for 3 damn quarters then typical Conserviak happened. Sherman knew they would run that pass because he probably hit numerous Texans message boards complaining about Kubiak doig it. Kubiak is the guy you want as your neighbor to borrow shit from and not ever return it but he has like zero killer instinct. O'Brien comes off as someone who will physically beat your ass down then go for the jugular. It's a cut throat game and kill or be killed.

I cant wait for Baltimore Larrys weekly "Why the fuck are we running draw plays/quick 4 yard out patterns on 3rd and long?!?!"

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's amazing how the Bills are already screwed and it's only July. Your best player is out of shape and about to get suspended supposedly.

Kiko quickly became the heart of the team and his injury sucked the life out of the defense. The sense of doom is strong this year. We are almost assured the bottom of the AFC East unless our rookies all turn out to be super stars.

bionic77

It is wrong and you should know better.

But to be fair, other than Steelers dominance there are not a lot of great second or third options to go to in the AFC North.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Yes, it's bad. Imagine the turmoil in eznark's family. Won't someone think of the children!

As expected, Chris Snee has retired.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...best_offensive_lineman_in_giants_history.html

He was probably hoping Monday would be different, too. Earlier this morning, Snee met with coaches and front-office members to confirm his retirement. According to his agency, EAS Sports, that decision now appears to be official. He attempted to make one last comeback this spring, but after two straight seasons with a hip surgery and an elbow surgery toward the end of last season, he knew his body couldn’t withstand the beating again. Though he remained hopeful up until the last day of organized team activities (OTA’s), the realizations -- he was 10 pounds underweight, he couldn’t practice all spring -- had to nag at him. Snee never wanted to hurt the team. He never wanted to simply occupy a roster space.

It’s that attitude, the willingness to push through aches and pains for a decade, that made Snee one of the greatest offensive linemen in Giants history. Alongside names like Bart Oates, Jumbo Elliott, Roosevelt Brown, Mel Hein, David Diehl and Brad Benson, Snee will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the best to play up front in team history.

Amazing guard in his prime. Anchored the offensive line for a long time. Happy to see him retire in blue.

rando14

Best of luck to Snee

I came off as salty against the Seahawks but I honestly was happy for them and their fans. They just happened to be the team that started my teams complete unraveling.

We physically beat their ass for 3 damn quarters then typical Conserviak happened. Kubiak is the guy you want as your neighbor to borrow shit from and not ever return it but he has like zero killer instinct. O'Brien comes off as someone who will physically beat your ass down then go for the jugular. It's a cut throat game and kill or be killed.

I cant wait for Baltimore Larrys weekly "Why the fuck are we running draw plays/quick 4 yard out patterns on 3rd and long?!?!"

Thanks man, that means a lot!! :') I really hope Savage and BOB work out for yall

Kiko quickly became the heart of the team and his injury sucked the life out of the defense. The sense of doom is strong this year. We are almost assured the bottom of the AFC East unless our rookies all turn out to be super stars.

Man Kiko going down really sucked, dude was one of my favorite defensive players!! Also that bimbo Kave is strutting around here claiming he's got your pick, that cat needs to learn some humility!!

bionic77

Yes, fuck them.

While in they are the lesser of the three evils in the division, you can't "root" for them. You can say, "if it isn't the Ravens, at least it's not the Browns or Steelers." That's ok.
It would be so awesome and satisfying if the Browns were competitive this year with Johnny and styled all over the Ravens.

Payback for the crimes they committed against Ohio and other innocent bystanders over the last 20 years.

Not that anyone thinks this is a realistic possibility but it would be awesome if this were to ever happen.

Honestly, I'm really glad I don't have to see him try to hang on as much as Dielh/O'Hara did. Back in the day he was the beast of the 2006-7-8 line.
Yeah. He's been a shell of his former self for years now. Prefer this than trying to see him hobble along another season, indeed.

It would be so awesome and satisfying if the Browns were competitive this year with Johnny and styled all over the Ravens.

Payback for the crimes they committed against Ohio and other innocent bystanders over the last 20 years.

Not that anyone thinks this is a realistic possibility but it would be awesome if this were to ever happen.

How about they just make Ray Rice look like a scrub instead? Best of both worlds.

How about they just make Ray Rice look like a scrub instead? Best of both worlds.

I can't root against Ray Rice, despite his actions. Have to separate the player from the person, for me. Should they have cut his ass? Yes. But they didn't, so he's still on the team and will probably play a prominent role. I can't root for him to fail now.

He's still a dick, though.

bionic77

Guys whats some cool shit I should put in my home office?

I am going to get a nice desk, nice chair, probably a 27" iMac, LCD on the wall and couch, mini fridge.

But I don't have much to decorate it. Right now I have a kickass Soundwave (thanks Fantomax) and an old Star Wars toy. Any other suggestions? I want cool looking shit, some sports memorabilia and the occasional nerdy toy/item (not at the current ez level).

Top Bottom