• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kids today are pampered.
By the way, I agree. I beat TMNT 1 for the NES before I was in middle school. Of course, I was also a weird nerdy kid who could draw SMB3 levels from memory in the 2nd grade.

You don't need to be good at games. You just need to have a little patience and a willingness to figure shit out. So many today have neither. Currently working my way through Alundra and I can only chuckle at how the game trolls me at times.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So I was in Vegas this past weekend, and you're telling me I could have snorted coke in a club bathroom with Johnny Fucking Football? Fuck my life, series of near misses.

You still have 3 more weekends to make this happen. And then about 20 weekends in Cleveland. Maybe bg can snort some coke with Johnny.

By the way, I agree. I beat TMNT 1 for the NES before I was in middle school. Of course, I was also a weird nerdy kid who could draw SMB3 levels from memory in the 2nd grade.

You don't need to be good at games. You just need to have a little patience and a willingness to figure shit out. So many today have neither. Currently working my way through Alundra and I can only chuckle at how the game trolls me at times.
I always say I'm not that good at games I am just stubborn. Overcoming a challenge is one of my primary reasons for playing games. It seems like a lot of people just don't want to put up with failure in games these days, but I think that tends to make the success that much sweeter.

Also, I just started playing Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and noticed you posted a lot in one of the LTTP threads from years ago. Am I in for a good time?

bionic77

To be fair to the fat and illiterate kids of today most people don't want their entertainment to be hard.

And some NES games were impossible without a guide. No one I knew could find that tornado in Castlevania 2 to the Grim Reaper without someone telling them what to do or calling the Nintendo helpline (which is what me and my friend did).

bionic77

I'd just jump once and be back home
You can't sleep on my grass.

Either get a taxi or hitchhike back home with nothing but your thumb, your soon to be violated butthole and a bag of meth (this is the official bus system in Florida but unofficially this will get around most of the states).

Greg

You can't sleep on my grass.

Either get a taxi or hitchhike back home with nothing but your thumb, your soon to be violated butthole and a bag of meth (this is the official bus system in Florida but unofficially this will get around most of the states).
I'll sleep on your ping pong table, and then you'll cook the breakfast you owe me from getting beat in the morning.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I always say I'm not that good at games I am just stubborn. Overcoming a challenge is one of my primary reasons for playing games. It seems like a lot of people just don't want to put up with failure in games these days, but I think that tends to make the success that much sweeter.

Also, I just started playing Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and noticed you posted a lot in one of the LTTP threads from years ago. Am I in for a good time?
VP1 is a game where you need a guide to get the good ending unless you want to play through the game 10 times to figure out how to work the Seal Rating. Otherwise, it's fantastic and the sequel only improves on both the platforming and the battle system.

To be fair to the fat and illiterate kids of today most people don't want their entertainment to be hard.

And some NES games were impossible without a guide. No one I knew could find that tornado in Castlevania 2 to the Grim Reaper without someone telling them what to do or calling the Nintendo helpline (which is what me and my friend did).
My grade school library had Nintendo Power and Gamepro. I ate that shit up.

It's one reason I can't relate to all the whining about game spoilers today. Reading breakdowns of games made you want to play them even if they were actually ass.

bionic77

VP1 is a game where you need a guide to get the good ending unless you want to play through the game 10 times to figure out how to work the Seal Rating. Otherwise, it's fantastic and the sequel only improves on both the platforming and the battle system.

My grade school library had Nintendo Power and Gamepro. I ate that shit up.

It's one reason I can't relate to all the whining about game spoilers today. Reading breakdowns of games made you want to play them even if they were actually ass.
:lol

That is pretty awesome though a little suspect from an educational point of view.

The best we had at our school was oregon trail. All of the other games installed on the computers were garbage.

Greg

There are a bunch of games I never beat as a kid that I like to think I could go back to now and beat (unassisted), but that's probably not the case.

I hate you, Milon's Secret Castle.

Its ping pong Greg not sex.

You don't get to sleep in my house afterwards or get breakfast from me.
sore loser!

Yeah, that was the one thing I knew going in so I found a nice guide online to help me out. It's a really unique game, I don't think I've ever seen a JRPG quite like it.

There are a bunch of games I never beat as a kid that I like to think I could go back to now and beat (unassisted), but that's probably not the case.

Dude, Milon's Secret Castle is like "Obtuse, the Game."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, that was the one thing I knew going in so I found a nice guide online to help me out. It's a really unique game, I don't think I've ever seen a JRPG quite like it.
I'd like to think that Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter took some from VP1 and then VP2 took some from DQ in turn, but that's probably not the case.

Oh yeah, I hope you picked Hard. The extra dungeons, items, and time make it ironically easier to handle things overall. New characters starting at level 1 is a nonissue when Exp Orb is a thing. You also don't need to worry that much about Eval, and Freya is content with one warrior per chapter even if you can send two.

Greg

Dude, Milon's Secret Castle is like "Obtuse, the Game."
seriously

so much random hidden shit

I'd like to think that Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter took some from VP1 and then VP2 took some from DQ in turn, but that's probably not the case.

Oh yeah, I hope you picked Hard. The extra dungeons, items, and time make it ironically easier to handle things overall. New characters starting at level 1 is a nonissue when Exp Orb is a thing.
I started on Normal but after reading the intro in the guide I restarted on Hard. You know a game is weird when you need a guide just for that, haha.

bionic77

sore loser!
You probably could beat most of the NES or 16 bit games now if you were patient with them. Most of them are really not that hard. Like I said they are meant to be beaten.

tmdorsey

I never owned Battletoads is it really that hard?

As I got older I found most NES games to be pretty easy as long as you didn't have Gatas IQ or skills. Most of the games had patterns that were pretty easy to discern and beat with some practice. There was a time I could beat Castlevania 1 and Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 without getting hit.

You lie sir! There's no way I'm gonna believe you could beat the Grim Reaper in Castlevania 1 without getting hit once without a NES Advantage or something and I know you had to at least get clipped by a bat or something in those Ninja Gaidens.

You are right on this though. You had to have the map in the original Metal Gear to make it through that damn maze in those woods.

Sanjuro

You probably could beat most of the NES or 16 bit games now if you were patient with them. Most of them are really not that hard. Like I said they are meant to be beaten.

They were meant to be hard. That was literally the selling point in most of the advertising at the time.

bionic77

You lie sir! There's no way I'm gonna believe you could beat the Grim Reaper in Castlevania 1 without getting hit once without a NES Advantage or something and I know you had to at least get clipped by a bat or something in those Ninja Gaidens.

You are right on this though. You had to have the map in the original Metal Gear to make it through that damn maze in those woods.
Ninja Gaiden is actually easier to run through than Castlevania. It has less randomness (the great equalizer in NES games). The hardest part to avoid getting hit were the last bosses.

And the Grim Reaper was not that hard. Though I don't think holy water worked on him. I think you had to kick his ass with timing and boomerangs. X4 and he was dead pretty quickly.

That is nothing though. I saw my friend beat zelda 2 with low ass stats. I think he was only like 5 or 6 with the sword at the end. He had to hit bosses like a million times for them to die and his hearts were not maxed out either so their hits would destroy him.

They were meant to be hard. That was literally the selling point in most of the advertising at the time.
Most developers at the time learned the ropes making arcade games so it was only natural that the difficulty (often unfair) would carry over into console game development.

cdyhybrid

Damn, you guys are some olds if you can remember NES advertising. I played the NES at my grandma's house but my first real system was the SNES (RIP snes).

bionic77

I seem to recall the point of most advertising was to emphasize how amazing the graphics and adventure were going to be. Often with artwork that did not in any way resemble the actual graphics of the game.

Sanjuro

I seem to recall the point of most advertising was to emphasize how amazing the graphics and adventure were going to be. Often with artwork that did not in any way resemble the actual graphics of the game.

Yes, on the latter. During the NES Era though, a few companies taglines were "We make the hardest games" or something of that nature.

Milchjon

This makes me feel like a dinosaur.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850409

I still remember the time I bought Link's Awakening from some kid for $10. Best purchase of my life.

Rr4fPIQ.gif

This is how I imagine most of GAF.

Well, actually, he's both actually playing and having fun. So maybe it's the opposite of GAF.

ShaneB

I still remember the time I bought Link's Awakening from some kid for $10. Best purchase of my life.

I remember taking my game boy and LA down to the cabin, and the copy of Nintendo Power with the LA maps and whatnot. When I got out of the boat at the cabin, I forgot I had the magazine under my lifejacket, and it fell in the water. I was sad, but it was still readable eventually, so it's all good!

Ah memories.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I never really got into Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden. When I was in middle or high school I was able to finish each level of Contra without getting hit, but not the game as a whole. More recently I could get through Metal Slug 2 without getting hit until the last level when the aliens start slapping me around. :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I miss the days of yelling at my tv because the game was "cheating"

To this day I'm sure I pressed A in time. The game just didn't want me to win.

I remember taking my game boy and LA down to the cabin, and the copy of Nintendo Power with the LA maps and whatnot. When I got out of the boat at the cabin, I forgot I had the magazine under my lifejacket, and it fell in the water. I was sad, but it was still readable eventually, so it's all good!

Ah memories.
That is awesome! Nintendo Power was the best... The Game Boy was the first real system I had to myself (before that it was just PC for me, no consoles) so it holds a very special place in my heart, along with handheld gaming in general.

Have this for some warm and fuzzy nostalgia:

http://www.zeldacapital.com/Games/maps_la/Koholint.png

I never really got into Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden. When I was in middle or high school I was able to finish each level of Contra without getting hit, but not the game as a whole. More recently I could get through Metal Slug 2 without getting hit until the last level when the aliens start slapping me around. :(
I got into Castlevania with the GBA games so I missed out on the classic style games in the series. I actually played the original for the first time this year, that game is tough. I'd still like to beat it but I'm not sure if it'll ever happen at this point.

Holy balls at the Metal Slug 2 comment. That game is insane (and also my favorite in the series!).

bionic77

That is fucking impressive. And I am glad to see that I also found the alien bits to be impossible. Probably a cheat on purpose to eat some more quarters.

Also that is one of the best video games ever created.

Fuck any rich kid whose daddy bought that shit for them back in the 90s.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Holy balls at the Metal Slug 2 comment. That game is insane (and also my favorite in the series!).
Haha, I feel the same! MGX always felt like it was more geared toward two player to me, and despite the slowdown fix felt off overall in other respects.

I finished the story mode a few weeks ago. Don't buy it if you aren't okay with playing the same level 20-50 times, haha.
Tried that out last night and got to 3-2. Once you get used to the controls and level pieces it's just a matter of figuring out a plan and hammering out the muscle memory to execute it.

eznark

Banned
Man watching these kids get mad about the same thing over and over is so amusing. Timed exclusive content in Destiny!!!! No fucking shit.

dionysus

Yaldog
Is this the oldest community on GAF?

I had a NES with TMNT and Contra and that was it. Then my older brother traded away contra for some shitty sub hunting game called Silent Hunter or some shit that was awful and shortly after that my Mom decided that videogames were of the devil and wouldn't buy any more games.

Remember that fucking gap in TMNT where you couldn't cross it unless you did the completely counter intuitive thing and didn't hit jump. Fuck it took me so long to figure that out.

Top Bottom