• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Haha, I feel the same! MGX always felt like it was more geared toward two player to me, and despite the slowdown fix felt off overall in other respects.
Yeah, other than the slowdown I never understood why everyone always threw out "X > 2" as if it was some factual statement. 2 felt more focused and thoughtfully designed to me, whereas with X you can tell they are taking a previous game and tweaking it which isn't as exciting. It also got a little too chaotic for my taste (and skill level) which probably coincides with your comment about two player.

Tried that out last night and got to 3-2. Once you get used to the controls and level pieces it's just a matter of figuring out a plan and hammering out the muscle memory to execute it.
1001 Spikes is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier. I am not great at the game but I love taking the time to learn each stage and teach myself the muscle memory it takes to overcome it. I died hundreds of times but I never really felt frustrated thanks to the quick restart.

This conversation reminds me, Super Meat Boy GOTY 2010.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Re: Games were harder when we were kids

I feel like although AAA games are easier, there are loads of punishing games out there that are download only. Plus if you want a real challenge, there's always competitive online gaming...being the best at that is far harder than anything we did back in the day.

I've also noticed that I rage quit after maybe two or three tries of any game. I just don't have patience anymore...

Edit: I'm an old so I think it was Tecmo that advertised as being the hardest.

eznark

Banned
Just dropped off a donation of 4 chickens and a goat to the local youth home. I put it all i a heavy duty plastic bag. I was like Meat Santa.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Man watching these kids get mad about the same thing over and over is so amusing. Timed exclusive content in Destiny!!!! No fucking shit.

The PS4 version is the lead SKU. Why is this a shock to anyone at this point since we've known it for ages?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Re: Games were harder when we were kids

I feel like although AAA games are easier, there are loads of punishing games out there that are download only. Plus if you want a real challenge, there's always competitive online gaming...being the best at that is far harder than anything we did back in the day.

I've also noticed that I rage quit after maybe two or three tries of any game. I just don't have patience anymore...

Edit: I'm an old so I think it was Tecmo that advertised as being the hardest.
Oh, there are still hard games being made today, but they are more niche and indie and the gaming populace as a whole has far less patience for it so they never get better as players. They want their easy wins and complain vocally if they don't get it, deriding any suggestion otherwise. Hell, just look at the MKWii thread. One guy tried to call me out, mocking the suggestion that people should get better.

cajunator

Banned
Does the young generation understand the agony a 6th grader would experience trying to work up the nerve to hold the hand of a girl during the couples skate?

Also Mortal Kombat movie song was the jam at the skating rink.

there was so much awesome music at the skating rink. My 8 year old self had so much fun!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
there was so much awesome music at the skating rink. My 8 year old self had so much fun!

My skating rink blared the "Hey, let's talk about HIV/safe sex with our parents" version of "Let's Talk About Sex" on a loop. It was embarrassing.

cajunator

Banned
man now Im thinking about all the cool monster trucks from my childhood. Mad dog, Clydesdale, Awesome Kong, Gravedigger, Snakebite
And by the way, Bigfoot the NES game was fucking impossibly hard and tore up your fingers.

Sanjuro

man now Im thinking about all the cool monster trucks from my childhood. Mad dog, Clydesdale, Awesome Kong, Gravedigger, Snakebite
And by the way, Bigfoot the NES game was fucking impossibly hard and tore up your fingers.

Kids seats are just five buxxx

ShaneB

That is awesome! Nintendo Power was so the best... The Game Boy was the first real system I had to myself (before that it was just PC for me, no consoles) so it holds a very special place in my heart, along with handheld gaming in general.

Have this for some warm and fuzzy nostalgia:

http://www.zeldacapital.com/Games/maps_la/Koholint.png

Yup, that is exactly it.

I had a wide variety of game magazines, had subscriptions to Nintendo Power and Gamepro, and picked up a bunch of other magazines at various times. For the longest time I would go back and look at them for nostalgia’s sake.

First console I had was an Atari, and I remember the suitcase full of games that came with it when we bought it from someone else. I Remember Christmas time getting the NES and my copy of TMNT, and my brother got RBI baseball, playing Mario and duck hunt too. And playing pc games too eventually.

Nothing in gaming seems to ‘Wow’ me anymore, and my interest just isn’t there it seems, but I miss that sense of wonder as a kid. Perhaps I'll read that Console Wars book sometime soon.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Another example particularly dear to my heart: Tetris used to be a game that demanded actual skill, but after 2000 it was decided that requiring players to figure out where to place pieces in a specific span of time was too much and made it so that any button press reset the lock timer. Not only that, it was REQUIRED that you do this and a bunch of other game decisions to even get the license! Aside from some fringe features and autoshift timing, all official Tetris games made in the past decade are the fucking same and all kinda suck.

Meanwhile, Tetris The Grand Master went the other way and developed a rotation system that was sane, predictable, and accommodating of all possible skill levels. Too bad it remains stuck in Japanese arcades and PC clones thanks to a xenophobic developer and an iron-fisted licensor.

moist

Is this the oldest community on GAF?

Remember that fucking gap in TMNT where you couldn't cross it unless you did the completely counter intuitive thing and didn't hit jump. Fuck it took me so long to figure that out.

-NOTHING- was as frustrating as that fucking underwater level where you had to disarm the bombs.

bionic77

anyone remember Life Force for NES? that was another game I never beat as a kid
It has been a hundred years since I played that game but I am pretty sure that game was easier than playing the Lions.

And I think it had the usual Konami code which made it even easier.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Remember that fucking gap in TMNT where you couldn't cross it unless you did the completely counter intuitive thing and didn't hit jump. Fuck it took me so long to figure that out.
You saw the same thing in SMB1, and using it was required to beat the game.
-NOTHING- was as frustrating as that fucking underwater level where you had to disarm the bombs.
Dive in with all turtles at full health, do the proper sequence which isn't that hard to figure out, and swap out when you get low on health. Fill up on pizza in the first room of Level 3.

More frustrating was the part in Level 4 before the end when you had to fall down several single block gaps WITHOUT walking over them. If you messed up you died.

squicken

Hey Grover, pretty awesome new jerseys for Man U, right?

_76095839_utd.jpg

Greg

It has been a hundred years since I played that game but I am pretty sure that game was easier than playing the Lions.

And I think it had the usual Konami code which made it even easier.
of course the game is easy with 600000 lives

I played with honor

cajunator

Banned
Which was the bigger game and deal, Mario 1 or 3?

I can't remember which game caused more kids to soil their diapers in excitement.

What has surpassed those games since then?

Mario Bros 3 had a massive ad campaign. The release of that game was huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

dionysus

Yaldog
Which was the bigger game and deal, Mario 1 or 3?

I can't remember which game caused more kids to soil their diapers in excitement.

What has surpassed those games since then?

An attempted serious answer, Mario Kart for some generations especially the Wii. Goldeneye for N64. COD for the recent generations. Wii sports. GTA3. Not sure what it would be on the ps1 since I never had that console and never played it much.

I don't mean they surpassed Mario but just that they had really high cultural relevance during their peak.

Dragon

Banned
An attempted serious answer, Mario Kart for some generations especially the Wii. Goldeneye for N64. COD for the recent generations. Wii sports. GTA3. Not sure what it would be on the ps1 since I never had that console and never played it much.

I don't mean they surpassed Mario but just that they had really high cultural relevance during their peak.

Gran Turismo and FFVII were the games for the PS1, in terms of relevance and sales.

Then you have games like Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider.

I never really got into Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden. When I was in middle or high school I was able to finish each level of Contra without getting hit, but not the game as a whole. More recently I could get through Metal Slug 2 without getting hit until the last level when the aliens start slapping me around. :(

I could do that with Metal Slug 1. Last level always kicked my ass though. Could never get a rhythm going.

I could also one life all the Contra's up until CONTRA III. That spinning desert level on hard always kicked my ass,

jakncoke

Banned
If we're still talking NES games. Monster Truck Rally or whatever it was called. Create a Track was so awesome. Still probably is if I ever found a copy and a working NES.

bionic77

Super Mario Bros. 3

...and nothing.
I was a kid during Mario 3 so I can't really comment on what was as big afterwards.

Pokemon seems like it came close but I don't know if there was the same level of hysteria for Mario 3. I agree with cajun that Mario 3 was probably the bigger deal because of the advertising campaign. I mean they made a advertisement and disgusted it as a movie. Mario might have made me shit my pants more when I actually played it for the first time though. That was such a massive leap over the Atari that you can't really understand how much so unless you were there at the time.

Other than Pokemon the only thing I can think of which were probably not as big as Mario 3 are Sonic and Call of Duty (young boys seem to love this game more than ez loves fat pc gamers).

Top Bottom