• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Mindlog

What is the most memorable play in [insert team] history?

Don't worry Fox, Butt Fumble is winning comfortably for the Jets.
q1H35Bx.png

I thought PA would be blue.
Even with 2 of 3 spots the Iggles still can't close.

How would you guys describe each of the euro football(soccer) leagues?

Does each have a distinctive feel?

I would say they all have a distinctive feel, yes. Difficult to describe though (For me, because I suck at that shit).

Premier League: The best league in my eyes. The highest overall level of competition, the closest thing to parity in the world of soccer, with 4/5 teams battling for the league year in year out. Also the biggest league in the world when it comes to the amount of money it generates. The best games are played in the Premier League and to me it breathes what is soccer all about. The vibe in the stadiums, the level of play and all the history they have.

Primera Division: Second best league probably, even though it's usually a 2 horse race between Real Madrid and Barcelona (Last year was an exception with Atletico winning the title). Overall level of competition is fairly low though, Madrid and Barcelona rule that league, with the second tier teams not being able to keep up. I don't watch a lot of Primera Division, because of it. Compared to the Premier League the soccer here feels faster, more high paced.

Serie A: A different kind of soccer compared to the rest of the leagues, a lot more defensive overall and I personally think it's kind of boring. It also doesn't help that Juventus has won the league for like 4 years straight with relative ease. Stadiums also always look kinda crap, which doesn't help the overall feel for me (Sidenote: Fuck AC Milan).

Bundesliga: Broken. It's not a question who wins the title anymore, it's just a matter of when Bayern wins it.

Dutch Eredivisie: The baby league of relevant Europa. Not enough money to compete with all the big leagues. The Dutch teams are well known for their youth development though, so a lot of young European talent plays here. Even though Ajax has won the title for 4 weeks straight, I think that it's kind of a fun league. Level of play is pretty low at times, but that results in some nice games.

Greg

who are these 4 people doing commentary? and why aren't they playing the game if they're pointing out line-up/build issues?

edit: the people at the desk

Fox318

I would say they all have a distinctive feel, yes. Difficult to describe though (For me, because I suck at that shit).

Premier League: The best league in my eyes. The highest overall level of competition, the closest thing to parity in the world of soccer, with 4/5 teams battling for the league year in year out. Also the biggest league in the world when it comes to the amount of money it generates. The best games are played in the Premier League and to me it breathes what is soccer all about. The vibe in the stadiums, the level of play and all the history they have.

Primera Division: Second best league probably, even though it's usually a 2 horse race between Real Madrid and Barcelona (Last year was an exception with Atletico winning the title). Overall level of competition is fairly low though, Madrid and Barcelona rule that league, with the second tier teams not being able to keep up. I don't watch a lot of Primera Division, because of it. Compared to the Premier League the soccer here feels faster, more high paced.

Serie A: A different kind of soccer compared to the rest of the leagues, a lot more defensive overall and I personally think it's kind of boring. It also doesn't help that Juventus has won the league for like 4 years straight with relative ease. Stadiums also always look kinda crap, which doesn't help the overall feel for me (Sidenote: Fuck AC Milan).

Bundesliga: Broken. It's not a question who wins the title anymore, it's just a matter of when Bayern wins it.

Dutch Eredivisie: The baby league of relevant Europa. Not enough money to compete with all the big leagues. The Dutch teams are well known for their youth development though, so a lot of young European talent plays here. Even though Ajax has won the title for 4 weeks straight, I think that it's kind of a fun league. Level of play is pretty low at times, but that results in some nice games.

There are just so many teams and leagues.

Isn't the French, Russian, J-League, Ukraine, and Portuguese leagues supposed to be good too?

So many teams.

There are just so many teams and leagues.

Isn't the French, Russian, J-League, Ukraine, and Portuguese leagues supposed to be good too?

So many teams.

Ligue 1 (France) : Became relevant with the money boost PSG (and later AS Monaco) received from some Arab oil guys, before that they were pretty average.

Russia, J-League, Ukraine and Portugal are all kinda meh, Second tier leagues.

bionic77

18-1 Bowl was the best Super Bowl in my lifetime.
It was definitely not the best game. In fact it was kind of a shitty game where not much happened until the 4th quarter (at least that is how I remember it). I will say that other than your team winning a SB this was the one that made everyone feel the best.

It was more of a highpoint in humanity than the best SB. Best SB is still Steelers/Cards when just objectively looking at the game.

Milchjon

Once again, we're all Germans today.

Although I'm not as nervous. Losing a semifinal against the favorite in their home country isn't too shameful.

It was definitely not the best game. In fact it was kind of a shitty game where not much happened until the 4th quarter (at least that is how I remember it). I will say that other than your team winning a SB this was the one that made everyone feel the best.

It was more of a highpoint in humanity than the best SB. Best SB is still Steelers/Cards when just objectively looking at the game.

Bionic and I disagree on a lot of things but we agree on this. Steelers/Cards was the best Super Bowl. Not 1 but 2 signature moments for the winning team. Cards would have had one too with Fitz splitting the safeties if the Cards had won. It had everything, and was exciting throughout.

Draxal

Bionic and I disagree on a lot of things but we agree on this. Steelers/Cards was the best Super Bowl. Not 1 but 2 signature moments for the winning team. Cards would have had one too with Fitz splitting the safeties if the Cards had won. It had everything, and was exciting throughout.

Well I have to take you guys to task on the 2nd and 3rd quarters, where the Giants just stifled one of the greatest passing attacks of all time.

I won't lie though, the game of the decade by far was Boise State/Oklahoma 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

Because of the Orange?

Edit: I don't have s CFB team to root for, so I never really cared for it all.

Cuz SEC SEC SEC, and we have all the other SEC SEC SEC teams covered.

ShaneB

Once again, we're all Germans today.

Although I'm not as nervous. Losing a semifinal against the favorite in their home country isn't too shameful.

I'm holding out hope that the higher ups here tell everyone to leave early to watch the game. We're a german based company, so it makes sense!!

It was definitely not the best game. In fact it was kind of a shitty game where not much happened until the 4th quarter (at least that is how I remember it).
If you hate watching defensive football, then sure. The 4th quarter was absolutely when the game broke open but there was nothing "shitty" about SB42. Giants and Pats D came to play. Folks like to throw around "defensive struggle" but that game fits that description pretty accurately as it wasn't a case of two ineffective offenses playing poorly.

You can interchange Steelers/Cards and Giants/Pats at #1 and #2 as they are most oft mentioned. I like both games for different reasons but you know where I stand and yeah thats in part due to my own bias but objectively, the build-up to 42 and the Pats 16-0 run made it historically a bit more significant to me.

Top Bottom