• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Dragon

Banned
Anyone know when Dota's, the pointless game where Valve makes money off another company's property by selling keys to treasure chests, stupid tournament is over? I'll unblock eznark after that.

..…The fuck?

You know this whole blocking thing won't work when you quote him!!!

manfestival

my coworker keeps complaining whenever guys get pissed off and are rude to her(because customer service is a big part of our job). Then she goes off saying that men are terrible nowadays because they don't know how to speak to ladies and that they should be nice to ladies no matter what. All this while she was completely confrontational during her phone call.

I had to vent a little.

Tamanon

Banned
my coworker keeps complaining whenever guys get pissed off and are rude to her(because customer service is a big part of our job). Then she goes off saying that men are terrible nowadays because they don't know how to speak to ladies and that they should be nice to ladies no matter what. All this while she was completely confrontational during her phone call.

I had to vent a little.

You should tell here #notallmen are terrible. That always goes over well.

brentech

I had to vent a little.

Tell her she should act a lady instead of a bitch.

jakncoke

Banned
man-drinking-pot-coffee-13032781.jpg

Konka

Banned

I had to vent a little.

Is she hot?

ShaneB

So, European here that for some fucking reason is starting to get interested in american football. Hell, I don't even watch european football. I like the tactical aspect of the american football, I suppose, and our football never really got me interested. I have no clue as to teams or anything. What decent ways are there for us to watch it, is gamepass the best option? Is there any way of getting a trial going?

Heh, bbq, football and american beer. Maybe I should switch country. :D

Welcome aboard! I was a casual Football fan for years, and only before last season started really decided to get more into it, and I think I’m ready to concede it has overtaken Hockey as my favourite sport. Or at least they’re on equal terms.

The tactical aspect is indeed appealing. I’ve described it Gladiatorial Chess. Each side picks a play, and sees what happens. Always trying to counteract and find some balance. I know the start and stop nature of the sport is a hinderance to some people, but I feel that’s what makes it so inviting. You are always thinking about what is next, and replays are always showing the potential what ifs of plays. It’s very open for discussion as well and very social because of it.

Gamepass is a solid option for sure, and RedZone is a must to watch!! I guess as an introduction RedZone would spoil any fan, as it is commercial free and always jumps back and forth between games to show action across Sunday’s early and late games. I actually think right now you can watch all of last years games for free? I’m sure I’ve seen it say “trial” or something.

As for picking a team, I wouldn’t worry too much about it right now, build a solid base, watch games as you can, develop an interest, see how the season plays out, maybe you’ll enjoy the lovable loser, you’ll see trends play in and out. It just has to feel natural in my opinion.

I was once new to NFL-GAF, and it’s been enjoyable to feel more and more welcome here, so I hope the same for you!

jakncoke

Banned
If you end up choosing a team to follow for the love of god be sure to research their history so you don't accidentally pick a team that has always been shit.

Don't pick them based on the one year you watched them.

You think that dog likes belly rubs?

26178-dr-evil-laugh-gif-bBfL.gif

Greg

So, European here that for some fucking reason is starting to get interested in american football. Hell, I don't even watch european football. I like the tactical aspect of the american football, I suppose, and our football never really got me interested. I have no clue as to teams or anything. What decent ways are there for us to watch it, is gamepass the best option? Is there any way of getting a trial going?

welcome!

DAY TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when does it start?

I enjoyed the game and a half I had streaming in the background yesterday

who is the favorite/underdog/Jets/Patriots/Packers?

good idea

Draxal

Nationality? I know some of the European have dedicated sites/forums to watching/discussing these games in their specific countries.

What I like about the NFL/CFL is that it's basically a series of sprints, compared to the marathon that is soccer. Each play is basically reset, so in game coaching matters so much more than any other sport.

We abandoned this thread earlier but it's a great primer for the sport, where Future explains alot of the terminology.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509316

Welcome aboard! I was a casual Football fan for years, and only before last season started really decided to get more into it, and I think I’m ready to concede it has overtaken Hockey as my favourite sport. Or at least they’re on equal terms.

The tactical aspect is indeed appealing. I’ve described it Gladiatorial Chess. Each side picks a play, and sees what happens. Always trying to counteract and find some balance. I know the start and stop nature of the sport is a hinderance to some people, but I feel that’s what makes it so inviting. You are always thinking about what is next, and replays are always showing the potential what ifs of plays. It’s very open for discussion as well and very social because of it.

Gamepass is a solid option for sure, and RedZone is a must to watch!! I guess as an introduction RedZone would spoil any fan, as it is commercial free and always jumps back and forth between games to show action across Sunday’s early and late games. I actually think right now you can watch all of last years games for free? I’m sure I’ve seen it say “trial” or something.

As for picking a team, I wouldn’t worry too much about it right now, build a solid base, watch games as you can, develop an interest, see how the season plays out, maybe you’ll enjoy the lovable loser, you’ll see trends play in and out. It just has to feel natural in my opinion.

I was once new to NFL-GAF, and it’s been enjoyable to feel more and more welcome here, so I hope the same for you!
I think it's awesome that your fandom has come so far. It's cool to see new people getting into the sport and realizing how great it is.

I agree with your advice on picking a team. If you are getting in late I think you should just watch as much as you can and pick a team that clicks with you, for whatever reason that might be. Of course, if you just pick a team because of how good they are you will get a lot of ridicule, but no matter what you are basically joining a "bandwagon" so why not do it for the reasons that make the most sense to you?

Heck, I'm a Dolphins fan because I jumped on the bandwagon when Marino was around and they were good. I was five years old at the time but still, would I have picked them if they were as sucky as they are now? Who knows.

jakncoke

Banned
I think it's awesome that your fandom has come so far. It's cool to see new people getting into the sport and realizing how great it is.

I agree with your advice on picking a team. If you are getting in late I think you should just watch as much as you can and pick a team that clicks with you, for whatever reason that might be. Of course, if you just pick a team because of how good they are you will get a lot of ridicule, but no matter what you are basically joining a "bandwagon" so why not do it for the reasons that make the most sense to you?

Heck, I'm a Dolphins fan because I jumped on the bandwagon when Marino was around and they were good. I was five years old at the time but still, would I have picked them if they were as sucky as they are now? Who knows.

Did you get to watch the SB or did you become a fan after that and tormented throughout his career that they never got back?

eznark

Banned
when does it start?

I enjoyed the game and a half I had streaming in the background yesterday

who is the favorite/underdog/Jets/Patriots/Packers?

Noon. Today is my favorite part, the Round Robin for seeding! Ugh. At least they don't do a ping pong tournament if it's tied at the end.

Favorite is probably the Chinese teams, DK and IG. They have looked real good. Alliance and EG kind of round out the top 4. EG is the American team (North American) and they are a fan favorite because they have four awesome players who are so nice they signed a retarded Canadian autistic with Asperger's to play mid for them. He's adorable but feeds like crazy. Shake loves him.

It's actually a pretty awesome field all in all. Every team except Liquid and NaVi US has a shot at making the final 8.

The dark horses with a legit shot are probably C9 and NaVi. Navi has been playing like fucking ass and so has C9 but they are crazy talented players and Navi always kind of rises to the occasion.

NewBee is another dark horse with less of a legit shot.

Alliance is the Patriots. They play lame ass rat dota and cheese their way to wins, but they win a lot. Fuck those guys. Root against them.

jakncoke

Banned
By the end of July I will be Ryan Tannehill years old.

SB was before I was born. :(

25 eh, lots of tormentation. Also you might be curse on them in the divisional round. Since 1995 the Dolphins have had 3 appearances in the divisional round

38-3 loss vs Denver in 1998
62-7 loss vs Gatas in 1999
27-0 loss vs Raiders in 2000

127-10 outscored in 3 divisional games.

ShaneB

RedZone is for people who have fantasy teams but don't actually like American football.

Gamepass is fantastic.

Fuck the Pats.

Eh, I think RedZone is awesome. If your team is playing the late Sunday game, how awesome is it to spend the early games with RedZone and seeing all the action!? I think it's great, and the time flies by.

Thanks man. A big obvious part of Football is just that the short season makes every single game, every single play, feel important. Every 3rd down can feel like "this is the game right here".

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think you've gone off the deep end.

You do realize he's punishing everyone for talking about soccer?

He'll further punish us by talking about baseball as soon as this DOTA thing is over.

Good job guys, you just had to like kickball.

Wrayfield

The single play that A) made football interesting to me and B) made me a Dolphins fan:

October 4

1992 — Miami's Louis Oliver returns an interception a record-tying 103 yards for a touchdown against Buffalo, tying the mark established by Vencie Glenn against Denver on Nov. 29, 1987.

Joined the local team the day after I saw it on TV. Totally fell in love with the game then, learned the rules, and have witnessed the team's slow and steady decline into irrelevant mediocrity since forever. Good times.

25 eh, lots of tormentation. Also you might be curse on them in the divisional round. Since 1995 the Dolphins have had 3 appearances in the divisional round

38-3 loss vs Denver in 1998
62-7 loss vs Gatas in 1999
27-0 loss vs Raiders in 2000

127-10 outscored in 3 divisional games.
I am pretty much a poor man's Kave.

The single play that A) made football interesting to me and B) made me a Dolphins fan:

Joined the local team the day after I saw it on TV. Totally fell in love with the game then, learned the rules, and have witnessed the team's slow and steady decline into irrelevant mediocrity since forever. Good times.
:jnc

So awesome and also I am sorry.

eznark

Banned

He'll further punish us by talking about baseball as soon as this DOTA thing is over.

If only there were dedicated threads for these things all the problems could be solved.

Konka

Banned

If he wants to be a Debbie downer thats his prerogative and right as an American.

Dragon

Banned

We all talk about things not relevant to football. Not sure why he's now the arbiter of anything outside of his own asshole!

jakncoke

Banned
Apparently someone from a brit sketch used it as a slang

This word was popularised by Bo'Selecta! and the character of Lorraine Kelly, with her famous phrase, 'Have ya seen me growler' as she parted her legs to reveal an unsightly mound of pubic hair.

Greg

Noon. Today is my favorite part, the Round Robin for seeding! Ugh. At least they don't do a ping pong tournament if it's tied at the end.

Favorite is probably the Chinese teams, DK and IG. They have looked real good. Alliance and EG kind of round out the top 4. EG is the American team (North American) and they are a fan favorite because they have four awesome players who are so nice they signed a retarded Canadian autistic with Asperger's to play mid for them. He's adorable but feeds like crazy. Shake loves him.

It's actually a pretty awesome field all in all. Every team except Liquid and NaVi US has a shot at making the final 8.

The dark horses with a legit shot are probably C9 and NaVi. Navi has been playing like fucking ass and so has C9 but they are crazy talented players and Navi always kind of rises to the occasion.

Alliance is the Patriots. They play lame ass rat dota and cheese their way to wins, but they win a lot. Fuck those guys. Root against them.
awesome - thanks

Nationality? I know some of the European have dedicated sites/forums to watching/discussing these games in their specific countries.

What I like about the NFL/CFL is that it's basically a series of sprints, compared to the marathon that is soccer. Each play is basically reset, so in game coaching matters so much more than any other sport.

We abandoned this thread earlier but it's a great primer for the sport, where Future explains alot of the terminology.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509316

Going back there again reminded me of an argument I wanted to bring up.

Aside from Manning, Luck and maybe Brees, all franchise QB candidates landed on a well built team that could carry the load while they learned. Think Maybe GM's have it turned around - Get the team together first, then go after your QB?

manfestival

Alliance are the patriots? HOLD UP SON! Those are fighting words! It's weird, in a sense Na'vi have become the cowboys. They were successful in the past and now they cant even hang in the playoffs.They are even the favorites and probably sell a ton of merchandise. Dendi is practically tony romo except he doesn't choke(xboct and puppey do). You say Newbee is a legit dark horse but ignore the fact that Empire is one as well. Also lol@clown9.

Why do you insult lord arteezy?

Talon

Aside from Manning, Luck and maybe Brees, all franchise QB candidates landed on a well built team that could carry the load while they learned. Think Maybe GM's have it turned around - Get the team together first, then go after your QB?
Brees is interesting because that Saints roster was pretty talented prior to him getting there. They just had Haslett coaching there for too long like a bumbling idiot.

Don't think Brees has that sort of success sans Payton, though. The way they kick out the left guard to give Brees passing lanes is something 99% of playcallers in this league wouldn't even think about.

Eh, I think RedZone is awesome. If your team is playing the late Sunday game, how awesome is it to spend the early games with RedZone and seeing all the action!? I think it's great, and the time flies by.

Action is meaningless for me without the context of the game or even the drive leading up to a touchdown. I'd rather watch one game and see how that develops than jump from game to game to game, may as well be watching a youtube montage otherwise.

Draxal

I think its just pure luck at times.

Rodgers got lucky that he fell to the Packers in that draft. While I think he would have been a successful qb anywhere, he's just such a perfect fit for the Packers. Yet the Packers were also lucky that he fell to them.

Same thing with Roethlisberger and Pitt, Pitt was only bad for the one year and they were lucky that San Diego fell in love with Rivers.

Top Bottom