• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Redzone is the Fantasy Football channel.

Goddell probably loves it - all of the touchdowns, with none of that silly field position stuff getting in the way.

dionysus

Yaldog
Going back there again reminded me of an argument I wanted to bring up.

Aside from Manning, Luck and maybe Brees, all franchise QB candidates landed on a well built team that could carry the load while they learned. Think Maybe GM's have it turned around - Get the team together first, then go after your QB?

I think in general there are many paths to success and often it is easier to build success rejecting conventional wisdom. That doesn't mean you can be straight up bad in areas that conventional wisdom says you need to be good at. If you slavishly follow conventional wisdom though you have to better at it than a lot of other people to win.

But to your specific point, I don't actually see teams behaving as if the QB is the be-all-end-all. ESPN and the media does, but if you look at the draft I think only the Jaguars reached for a QB and everyone else put their highest priority on a well-built team. It was a weak QB class and it got drafted as such.

Greg

I don't get the channel, but the two times I caught it at the bar I really enjoyed it (when the Packers weren't playing).

It's not as hectic as I thought it would be, and there's less bullshit to watch.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Aside from Manning, Luck and maybe Brees, all franchise QB candidates landed on a well built team that could carry the load while they learned. Think Maybe GM's have it turned around - Get the team together first, then go after your QB?

If more quality qb's hit free agency, like Brees, gm's jobs would be a lot easier. Unless you're the lolphins and can't accurately predict someone's recovery from injury.

I also think that Rivers would have worked in Pittsburgh, but I'm glad they got Ben.

I think in general there are many paths to success and often it is easier to build success rejecting conventional wisdom. That doesn't mean you can be straight up bad in areas that conventional wisdom says you need to be good at. If you slavishly follow conventional wisdom though you have to better at it than a lot of other people to win.

But to your specific point, I don't actually see teams behaving as if the QB is the be-all-end-all. ESPN and the media does, but if you look at the draft I think only the Jaguars reached for a QB and everyone else put their highest priority on a well-built team. It was a weak QB class and it got drafted as such.

I think a ton of teams see it that way.

Bradford on the Rams
Freeman and the Bucs
RGIII and the Redskins
Gabbert and the Jags
Bortles and the Jags
Clevelands Carousel of QBs
Titans with Locker

I would say that all of those teams in some manner put too much weight on the performance of their QB when they had tons of other glaring holes to address.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
RedZone seems like the casual football fan's crutch.

Can't respect dat.

You guys are harsh, I love that channel because sometimes the 1pm games get hectic to follow. I always miss something the moment I flip between games. Since Green Bay so often plays at 4pm or later, it's not an issue for me to watch everyone else in piecemeal.

Dragon

Banned
I don't get the channel, but the two times I caught it at the bar I really enjoyed it (when the Packers weren't playing).

It's not as hectic as I thought it would be, and there's less bullshit to watch.

Yeah there aren't any commercial breaks, so you don't have to deal with the bullshit of scoring play -> commercial -> review -> commercial -> extra point -> commercial -> kick off -> commercial that happens nowadays.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think its just pure luck at times.

Rodgers got lucky that he fell to the Packers in that draft. While I think he would have been a successful qb anywhere

I think he still could have crashed and burned with the Nolan-Singletary era Niners.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Red Zone on the second tuner/tv/tablet. It's the only way to live. An actual game on the main screen, though.

Rodgers got lucky that he fell to the Packers in that draft. While I think he would have been a successful qb anywhere, he's just such a perfect fit for the Packers. Yet the Packers were also lucky that he fell to them.

Same thing with Roethlisberger and Pitt, Pitt was only bad for the one year and they were lucky that San Diego fell in love with Rivers.

If Rodgers had gotten drafted to the team he wanted to go to he would be Out of the league. I'm sure of it.

Packers played Rodgers perfectly. He needed time in the oven, got it behind Favre, then blossomed into a franchise QB.

Alex Smith got shoved to the wolves. If he had the same stability Rodgers got we could be talking about him in the top 3-5 of QBs.

Smh at who ever said pretzel buns are gross. Just had one! Delicious!
ZB0204H_pretzel-hot-dog-buns_s4x3.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
Cant remember if I mentioned this or not last night. But how is this following trade never mentioned in trade blunders.

In 1964, The Steelers traded their 1965 1st Round pick to the Bears in exchange for the 1964 Bears 2nd and 4th round picks

Steelers drafted Jim Kelly, a TE that played 1 season for us 3 total 31 career catches

Ben McGee lasted 8 years, 4 seasons as a starter beteween 68 and 72.

Bears got Dick Butkus

Talon

Pretzel buns are great for burgers, especially if you have an egg on top of it. Brioche buns or sesame rolls just fall apart too easily.

bionic77

Rodgers got lucky that he fell to the Packers in that draft. While I think he would have been a successful qb anywhere, he's just such a perfect fit for the Packers. Yet the Packers were also lucky that he fell to them.

Same thing with Roethlisberger and Pitt, Pitt was only bad for the one year and they were lucky that San Diego fell in love with Rivers.
Ben would have been good almost anywhere. He is talented enough that he can make plays by himself and doesn't need to rely on a system.

I think the same is true of Rodgers for the most part.

They of course need to go to good teams or have the giants and Panthers have an epic choke to win a SB though.

Talon

Ben would have been good almost anywhere. He is talented enough that he can make plays by himself and doesn't need to rely on a system.

I think the same is true of Rodgers for the most part.

They of course need to go to good teams or have the giants and Panthers have an epic choke to win a SB though.
I agree about Ben, but I don't think Rodgers would have succeeded right away. He looks night and day different from when he as at Cal - from his arm motion, to positioning the ball, arm strength, etc. Just a remarkable change over the course of two years.

Greg

I agree about Ben, but I don't think Rodgers would have succeeded right away. He looks night and day different from when he as at Cal - from his arm motion, to positioning the ball, arm strength, etc. Just a remarkable change over the course of two years.
TOM CLEMENTS GOD

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Only thing I don't like is when people say he "learned" from Favre instead of guys like Tom Clements. Clearly Favre was more about what not to do. He probably learned more watching film of Steve Young as a kid than anything from Favre.

Edit: damn it Greg!

Talon

Only thing I don't like is when people say he "learned" from Favre instead of guys like Tom Clements. Clearly Favre was more about what not to do. He probably learned more watching film of Steve Young as a kid than anything from Favre.

Edit: damn it Greg!
Yeah, I don't think when people say "sitting behind Favre" they mean "learning from Favre." Unless they're referring to pills and booze.

cajunator

Banned
my coworker keeps complaining whenever guys get pissed off and are rude to her(because customer service is a big part of our job). Then she goes off saying that men are terrible nowadays because they don't know how to speak to ladies and that they should be nice to ladies no matter what. All this while she was completely confrontational during her phone call.

I had to vent a little.

My coworkers gossip about 50 shades of gray and make sex jokes all the time. I dont think you could offend those women if you tried.

Dragon

Banned
My coworkers gossip about 50 shades of gray and make sex jokes all the time. I dont think you could offend those women if you tried.

My mom read 50 shades of grey and thinks it's actually good. A book based on fan fiction based on Twilight about BDSM. Fuck the internet!

dionysus

Yaldog
My mom read 50 shades of grey and thinks it's actually good. A book based on fan fiction based on Twilight about BDSM. Fuck the internet!

Speaking about horrible things and literature, I saw what you said about my boy Brandon Sanderson over in off-topic. I won't forget this.

Narag

I fear for JFF's health if Lebron does come home as I suspect there's some cosmic force waging a silent war against the citizenry of Cleveland.

Balance will be maintained.

cajunator

Banned

Brees walked into a complete mess.
There was shit in the locker room like a recliner that Sean Payton threw out along with some other stuff that just made the players lazy and shitty. Brees and Payton completely changed the culture in that locker room almost overnight. In a way I almost want to give more credit to Aaron Brooks for setting team records and getting the team to the playoffs in the sorry condition it was in but I still cant bring myself to like him. the Brees area began with a complete overhaul of EVERYTHING on that team.

Dragon

Banned
Speaking about horrible things and literature, I saw what you said about my boy Brandon Sanderson over in off-topic. I won't forget this.

What did I say? He's the most prolific fantasy writer I've ever seen? Don't know why that's a negative thing, I enjoy his books, even if I've never been a fan of his dialogue.

Top Bottom