• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

Twitter:

Bill O'Brien following Teddy around from drill to drill lol. #Texans

Bridgewater's workout is on NFL Network now ... Not real good so far.

Usually during Pro Days, you hear "the ball didn't hit the ground." Won't hear that with Teddy Bridgewater's Pro Day at U of L. Good arm tho

squicken

Mayock not impressed either. Mechanics and arm strength concerns remain

I thought accuracy was supposed to be his thing too?

There's always been some concern on his deep ball, but short and intermediate he was supposed to be superb. Today he just hasn't looked good. Mayock and Warner seem to be making sure not to get too critical, rightfully. Oddly, he always has worn a glove, but today he hasn't worn one

Dolphins FA so far, along with my thoughts:

In:

LT Branden Albert (five years, $47 million) - Kind of a no-brainer move but it was good to see Albert landed regardless. Dolphins need a LT now and can't afford to risk throwing a rookie into the position.

DT Earl Mitchell (four years, $16 million) - This one leaves me feeling rather indifferent. Mitchell seems like a solid player but I don't think he's an upgrade over Soliai, so they haven't really gotten better at DT with this pickup.

S Louis Delmas (one year, $3.5 million) - Risky move but if he can stay healthy it could work out as a net gain. Clemons was a solid performer that I always saw as underrated so Delmas has some work to do.

DT Randy Starks (two years, $12 million) - Glad to see Starks retained even if Soliai is a better overall player.

CB Cortland Finnegan (two years, $11 million) - Honestly I hate this move. Finnegan pretty well showed that he has nothing left in St. Louis, plus his character issues don't exactly scream "Philbin guy."

G Shelley Smith (two years, $5.5 million) - Another unspectacular signing but I'm pleased with it. The OL needs all the help it can get.

Out:

CB Dimitri Patterson (release saved $5 million) - It sucks that Patterson didn't work out in Miami. When he was healthy he was a great CB, the problem is he was never healthy. It makes sense to let him walk.

DT Paul Soliai (signed $33 million contract with Atlanta Falcons) - Great player that I'll miss but I can see why the Dolphins weren't willing to pay that much.

RT Jonathan Martin (traded to 49ers) - It wouldn't surprise me if Martin turned into a decent starter for the Niners but he obviously had to go.

Overall I'm kind of lukewarm on how this offseason has gone so far. Solid in some respects but questionable in others, and not particularly exciting in any capacity. 6/10 so far.

Zero Hero

I remember an interview Irsay did with Hannah Storm(?) and he told her that he had spilled more alcohol than she drank in her life. The guy is a pompous ass living off the coattail of his dad.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
4 counts of felony possession is no joke. Not sure what he has in his past, but I can't see him avoiding jail time when the DUI is added in

With all that money and the best lawyers money can buy, he won't spend a day in prison.

He'll pay ridiculous fines and some other stuff though. Should be interesting to see how the league treats it.

eznark

Banned
Irsay hasn't been charged on the possession counts yet. Until he is formally charged it's easy to make that stuff disappear.

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 6m
There are only 5 Panthers currently on the roster who are 30 or older: D. Anderson, C. Blackburn, T. Davis, D. Edwards and DeAngelo [Williams]

Dolphins FA so far, along with my thoughts:

In:

LT Branden Albert (five years, $47 million) - Kind of a no-brainer move but it was good to see Albert landed regardless. Dolphins need a LT now and can't afford to risk throwing a rookie into the position.

DT Earl Mitchell (four years, $16 million) - This one leaves me feeling rather indifferent. Mitchell seems like a solid player but I don't think he's an upgrade over Soliai, so they haven't really gotten better at DT with this pickup.

S Louis Delmas (one year, $3.5 million) - Risky move but if he can stay healthy it could work out as a net gain. Clemons was a solid performer that I always saw as underrated so Delmas has some work to do.

DT Randy Starks (two years, $12 million) - Glad to see Starks retained even if Soliai is a better overall player.

CB Cortland Finnegan (two years, $11 million) - Honestly I hate this move. Finnegan pretty well showed that he has nothing left in St. Louis, plus his character issues don't exactly scream "Philbin guy."

G Shelley Smith (two years, $5.5 million) - Another unspectacular signing but I'm pleased with it. The OL needs all the help it can get.

Out:

CB Dimitri Patterson (release saved $5 million) - It sucks that Patterson didn't work out in Miami. When he was healthy he was a great CB, the problem is he was never healthy. It makes sense to let him walk.

DT Paul Soliai (signed $33 million contract with Atlanta Falcons) - Great player that I'll miss but I can see why the Dolphins weren't willing to pay that much.

RT Jonathan Martin (traded to 49ers) - It wouldn't surprise me if Martin turned into a decent starter for the Niners but he obviously had to go.

Overall I'm kind of lukewarm on how this offseason has gone so far. Solid in some respects but questionable in others, and not particularly exciting in any capacity. 6/10 so far.

Nice write up, my thoughts align pretty close to yours, surprised we really only addressed the lt position, I thought they were going to over pay for a rt at least, now we have to spend draft picks on a G and T, unless they have a lot of faith in thomas getting a lot better or being ok with clabo... :/

MechDX

... Bridgewater wore a glove over his throwing hand for all his games. Raised to me as interesting that he chose not to today.

if you wore a glove your entire college career why would you NOT at your pro day?

Dragon

Banned
I doubt it.

tumblr_left6jQebn1qf8yek.gif

squicken

Everyone with a QB should want these QBs to look good at all times. If they fall to the 2nd round, that's a position player taken off the board

Bridgewater's pro day will be a thing. Missing throws, badly. Usually you hear they never miss any throws. Deep ball is shit

This is how it's gonna go Down: Texans take Clowney first and trade the 33rd pick for Mallett. Bridgewater will drop and the Pats will pick him 20th overall after trading up a bit, he will then replace Brady in 3 years and be our very own little Aaron Godgers.

Draxal

Everyone with a QB should want these QBs to look good at all times. If they fall to the 2nd round, that's a position player taken off the board

Ayup, although it would make sense for a team to trade up to Seattle's spot, the fifth year for first round qb's is incredibly important.

Tom Penny

This is how it's gonna go Down: Texans take Clowney first and trade the 33rd pick for Mallett. Bridgewater will drop and the Pats will pick him 20th overall after trading up a bit, he will then replace Brady in 3 years and be our very own little Aaron Godgers.

At least you got the 1st half correct.

Brandt on Bridgewater:

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 18m

Not as down on Bridgewater workout as some. Only saw 1 bad throw. Norv Turner told me he thought it was pretty good.

I hope all four (Bridgewater, JFF, Bortles, Carr) go in the top ten. Push that talent down!

Sanjuro

I pretty much only played the capture point mode. Maybe the CTF mode will make me less apathetic.

Capture the point and CTF are amazing.

Last Titan Standing is pretty fun. It's a great mode to learn how to play better as a Titan. Too many people just get in one rush into things and die.

The Slayer Mode (nutrition?) is terrible. They need to tweak that a bit.

Then there is probably one/two other gametypes I've never played.

Dragon

Banned
He plays Dota 2 religiously, that game is pretty dang popular.

Obviously according to the yankeehater metrics of Microsoft love, it comes in a distant third to Titanfall and Kinect Sports.

Is it? I really dont know anything about it. You never really hear anything about it so I have no idea how big it is or not.

You cannot be serious. I don't even like MOBAs but c'mon bro. Get informed about something other than Titanfall's server infrastructure.

eznark

Banned
Ez is a bit of a hipster. I dont think I have ever seen him like a popular game.

lol yeah, Madden and Battlefield are totally niche.

I don't dislike Titanfall. It's totally ok. I'll probably play it almost never now though since the servers can't handle a second game running at the same time and I refuse to close Dota.

eznark

Banned
Capture the point and CTF are amazing.

Last Titan Standing is pretty fun. It's a great mode to learn how to play better as a Titan. Too many people just get in one rush into things and die.

The Slayer Mode (nutrition?) is terrible. They need to tweak that a bit.

Then there is probably one/two other gametypes I've never played.

Capture point is fucking TERRIBLE 6 v. 6. It's basically a circuit run from point to point because there aren't enough people to properly mount assaults and hold points at the same time. Garbage.

Easy way to rapidly level though since everyone else plays it as deathmatch and you can just play ring around the rosy with ABC.

lol yeah, Madden and Battlefield are totally niche.

I don't dislike Titanfall. It's totally ok. I'll probably play it almost never now though since the servers can't handle a second game running at the same time and I refuse to close Dota.

I had no idea you played Battlefield. I read every post in the NFL threads but I dont remember you mentioning it. I was basing my comment more on your praise for Rust then anything. Sorry if I was off base. Can any games run at the same time as a second game? I never tried that on my PC but I would think most games are pretty resource intensive.

EdiT: I like hardpoint with smaller groups. You can go in and take a point all by yourself even if 2 guys are holding it. I get that it does require the coordinating like it would if it was bigger teams, but it is nice grabbing a point on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom