• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Bedard seems pretty sure Texans will draft JFF. Only 4 more weeks!

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard
Ball on your 10, down by 6 with 2:00 left. Which of these draft QBs do you want? It's the same answer every time, & will be 5 yrs from now

squicken

B/R Warning

Dan Pompei's Read Option: Drafting a Quarterback This Year Is 'A Crapshoot'

• NFL teams are rethinking Teddy Bridgewater. A pro day should not make or break a player, but a quarterback needs to ace every test to be a top-10 prospect. Bridgewater has not done that.

• While some prospects are on bobbers and others are on sinkers, one player, it seems, has remained constant. That is Blake Bortles. And that could result in the Central Florida product being the first quarterback taken, which was an unthinkable thought a few months back.

----

• NFL honchos expect rocker Jon Bon Jovi to make a push to purchase the Bills, perhaps in concert with Maple Leafs magnate Larry Tanenbaum. Bon Jovi is connected with Tanenbaum and Tim Leiweke, CEO of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Group.

Lot more at link

Zach looked great at his pro day. I caught the highlights on NFLN last night and he has so much zip on his passes. Clowney and him would not be a bad 1 2 for the Texans.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
When is drafting any player not a crapshoot? Thats kind of the whole point of the draft, folks put in all that work but at the end of the day its not an exact science.

squicken

Zach looked great at his pro day. I caught the highlights on NFLN last night and he has so much zip on his passes. Clowney and him would not be a bad 1 2 for the Texans.

He is Schaub with a better arm. He's soooooo sloooow. I've mentioned before that LSU implemented this weird little pitch play b/c he was so slow in getting the ball to RBs on hand offs, and this was before his injury

They do like him though, they like Teddy and are interested in JFF too. After the private workouts and sit downs think they'll be more in on JFF. Teddy at 4 wouldn't surprise or dissapoint me ethier.

I'm still split on whether I want a QB at 4, but I think Teddy is the safest pick there. All depends of course on who's available after the 1st three picks.

He threw some ducks, and a few incompletes. He's a slow dude too so if you rush him, he's really not going anywhere. But, he is a good project for a team.

He is Schaub with a better arm. He's soooooo sloooow. I've mentioned before that LSU implemented this weird little pitch play b/c he was so slow in getting the ball to RBs on hand offs, and this was before his injury

Yeah he has some concerns about his speed. It's not like anybody's expecting him to scramble, he's not starter ready by any stretch, anybody that nabs him is going to have to have a long-term plan for his development.

squicken

Scouts and analysts are mostly giant pussies who try to protect themselves and their reputations.

There's only 32 teams. It's such a hard climb to get those jobs that it only makes sense to be cautious. It's why all coaches clean house when they come in. If they are going to lose it will be with their guys

bionic77

There's only 32 teams. It's such a hard climb to get those jobs that it only makes sense to be cautious. It's why all coaches clean house when they come in. If they are going to lose it will be with their guys
No guts no glory.

I can understand wanting to keep your job, but to be great you have to take chances. On the other hand it would really suck to have your job depending on how well someone you picked performed. Once they are picked it it entirely out of your hands.

I'm salty that the sequel hasn't been announced yet. What are you DOING IS? I doubt that vaporware game SMT X FE is ever coming out.
Well they have to have something cooking! Maybe we'll hear about it near E3. People are always talking about how they want another Advance Wars but really I just want more FE...

bionic77

There's lots of expensive options on PC for power users. Free stuff is good for very basic stuff. Can't seem to find a middle ground
I am not sure there are any decent cheap options on the PC for video editing. I have heard bad things about Sony's software but it is better than Windows Movie Maker. Thats the only one I have heard of it and I don't do much video editing on the Mac and none on the PC so I won't claim to be an expert.

Other than that you can always pay a small fee to basically rent Adobes software.

Draxal

Well they have to have something cooking! Maybe we'll hear about it near E3. People are always talking about how they want another Advance Wars but really I just want more FE...

Advance Wars is deader then dead. Japan is still Nintendo's primary market, and Awakening did amazing there, while the first ds Advance Wars bombed so hard they never bothered to release the sequel in Japan.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...elieve-the-panthers-lost-all-their-receivers/

Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams was shocked to learn that none of the wide receivers who caught passes for Carolina last year would be back this year.

Asked on NFL AM about the departure of veteran receiver Steve Smith, Williams said he hated to see Smith go, but it went beyond just that. Williams said that he doesn’t know what the front office is thinking at the receiver position.

“We lost them all,” Williams said of the Panthers’ receivers. “That was tough, man. I played with Steve for eight years, and I know the chip he has on his shoulder, and he’s a playmaker. I couldn’t believe that we made those moves. Like, I’m still in shock. Not only did we lose him, but Ted Ginn Jr., Brandon LaFell, and [Domenik] Hixon.”

Asked if he feels that losing receivers puts more pressure on the running backs, Williams answered, “No, it puts more pressure on our front office because you make these moves, getting rid of four receivers, you’ve got to bring in guys.”

So far, the guys the Panthers have brought in are Jerricho Cotchery, Jason Avant and Tiquan Underwood. Williams was careful not to criticize his new teammates, but he clearly isn’t convinced that the Panthers can be as good in the passing game this year as they were last year. In that skepticism of the Panthers’ receiving corps, Williams is far from alone.

DeAngelo real talk

squicken

49ers in talks with Brandon Lloyd about possible return

Veteran wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, who did not play last season, is in talks with the 49ers about the possibility of rebooting his NFL career, according to multiple sources.

The 49ers reportedly expressed interest in several free-agent wide receivers, including Julian Edelman, Emmanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, Hakeem Nicks, Devin Hester and DeSean Jackson. The 49ers remain in the market for another wide receiver to add to the mix.

Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree are the 49ers’ presumptive starting wide receivers. Quinton Patton also figures to be in the mix for playing time, and the 49ers are expected to invest in a draft pick.

Lloyd, who turns 33 in July, does not play special teams. If he signs with the 49ers, he would seemingly have to earn the No. 3 job to secure a roster spot at the beginning of the regular season.

Lloyd enjoyed the best three-year stretch of his career before stepping away last season. In 2012, he caught 74 passes for 911 yards and four touchdowns for the New England Patriots.

Reportedly, he turned down the 49ers and several other teams that approached him about the possibility of playing last season.

lloyd_ducks_medium.gif

According to that report Suh always does that unless money is on the table so I don't see why this should be a big deal. We all know Suh runs that team so unless Caldwell does something about it there's no reason for him to change.

I wouldn't really enjoy being a Lions fan. Megatron is the only guy to really cheer for, and all that leads to is depression about his career being wasted. Suh is downright unlikable and Stafford is too flawed to really like for what he makes (except for kas)

Advance Wars is deader then dead. Japan is still Nintendo's primary market, and Awakening did amazing there, while the first ds Advance Wars bombed so hard they never bothered to release the sequel in Japan.

I really wish Nintendo would spend less time trying to win Japan's fading heart for videogames and focus more on the west. Or at least give NOA the autonomy to do it.

Wes

venison crêpe
It's hardly doing the hard work for the Browns - the stated goal of Mack's agent is to make the deal as unpalatable to the Browns as possible (hence the opt-out clause in all likelihood; with the Browns he'll opt out, with the Jaguars he'll be promising to opt in or renegotiate before hitting the opt out date). The Browns could have negotiated a long-term deal with him themselves or just used the franchise tag, and got a respectable deal without alienating a key player. Now they've pushed to the point where whether they get him signed or not they'll be losing him soon and they've taken things in such a direction that he doesn't want to play for them any more.

Doing the hard work would have been easier.

I can understand it from everyone's point of view.

- New Browns regime wants to keep him, but knew how Mack felt and allowed him to test the market and also find out his market value.
- Mack has had enough with the constant upheaval at Berea and wants to go to sunnier climes.
- Jags get to pick up a pro bowler.

I blame Banner and Lombardi, who alienated him completely last season when Mack wanted a long term deal. They were just going to let him hit FA without tagging.

I hope, if the contract is as rumoured, we match it. 20m is less than if we used the franchise tag on him two years in a row (this year and next). At least this way we get two years out of him whilst we can groom a late round pick to eventually replace him. The only contracts it would be likely to affect is Haden's and Gordon's but even then I think we have the room to handle it. Sure, it'll turn out much more expensive than if everything was happy in Cleveland last year but the new regime has no control over that.

MechDX

Interesting way to look at it.

I cant remember who it was but one of the Texans reporters was at the combine and was on an elevator with two scouts from the Colts after Clowneys 40 yard run. The reporter said the scouts were talking in awe about Clowney and stated "I hope those fuckers don't draft him at #1"

I cant remember who is was but one of the Texans reporters was at the combine and was on an elevator with two scouts from the Colts after Clowneys 40 yard run. The reporter said the scouts were talking in awe about Clowney and stated "I hope those fuckers don't draft him at #1"

I read that then the other scout turned to him and whispered
"Drowney for Clowney."

It's hardly doing the hard work for the Browns - the stated goal of Mack's agent is to make the deal as unpalatable to the Browns as possible (hence the opt-out clause in all likelihood; with the Browns he'll opt out, with the Jaguars he'll be promising to opt in or renegotiate before hitting the opt out date). The Browns could have negotiated a long-term deal with him themselves or just used the franchise tag, and got a respectable deal without alienating a key player. Now they've pushed to the point where whether they get him signed or not they'll be losing him soon and they've taken things in such a direction that he doesn't want to play for them any more.

Doing the hard work would have been easier.

Franchise tags rarely lead to long term deals. They would have just been paying 11 million for a disgruntled player for 1 more year, with his agent telling him to take it easy, so as not to get injured before his big payday next year.

Browns should have just let him go and moved on, he clearly doesn't want to be there and as good as Mack is, centers aren't too hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom