• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lions update:

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 1m

The #Lions and RFA RB Joique Bell have agreed to a 2-year, $7 M extension with $4.3 M guaranteed, per source.

He's from Boston College and Coughlin's son in law, you know he isn't starting unless says doesn't want to. I'm more upset about the Boothe at center thing. As long as they draft a good guard or get a strong fa center, I'd be okay with it.
I'd be upset about it all but I can't buy for a second that's the plan. You're basically trotting out the same line except for Diehl. If you accept Beatty/Pugh as the tackles. That can't happen and I'd have to seriously question the sanity of the FO if they put Eli behind that line.

(A bit early) Happy Free Agency!

Let the Offseason Championship Games begin

tumblr_mli2bggib41s55dxpo1_500.gif

Fox318

The salt is strong with you.

I'm just sick of that being the first team everybody mentions.

They don't have the cap room to resign every player yet according to ESPN they will sign everyone because Cheaty is a genius.

Cowboys do the same shit and Jerry Jones is an idiot but if Bill does it he is super smart.

There were people saying that Bill was gonna trade 2 1st round picks to sign Jimmy Graham also.

Then Cheaty will draft a punter for a left guard and fans will wonder why Brady isn't standing up straight.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
We need more obese quarterbacks now that Freeman has fallen from grace.

Well we always have Stafford.

You're goddamned right we'll always have Stafford. Because he's a great QB and after the ridiculous debate NFLGAF had a few years ago about who was the better QB (Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman), Stafford is carrying the 2009 QB draft class on his back. And will for at least another decade.

Also I wouldn't mind Jacoby Jones at a cheap price. He burned us one game last year and would be a solid #3 with the two headed beast of Megatron and Mike Evans. We will end up drafting Mike Evans, or Sammy Watkins and IMO at least one other WR in a later round.

Draxal

Lions update:

I'd be upset about it all but I can't buy for a second that's the plan. You're basically trotting out the same line except for Diehl. If you accept Beatty/Pugh as the tackles. That can't happen and I'd have to seriously question the sanity of the FO if they put Eli behind that line.

Well, I think the plan would be to draft some one like Sua'Fila/Yankey, and have it play it like how Diehl "Started" over Pugh last year.

I'm just in the Squicken camp here, you have to build the line up in the draft and not in free agency as lineman can decline incredibly fast as we've seen the last coulpe of years.

I am sad to see whitner leave if he does. He had a great year last year. It's a shame the refs have targeted him so much though. He gets a lot of bullcrap penalties.

I wish him good luck in Cleveland if he leaves. His demolition of Pierre Thomas in the divisional game will be a play I always remember

Tom Penny

So is there a missing angle on the Steve Smith cut. They save nothing, have no WR's or money to replace him. What cracks me up is I remember they idiotically descided to sign two RB's for a boatload of money.

They don't have the cap room to resign every player yet according to ESPN they will sign everyone because Cheaty is a genius.

Cowboys do the same shit and Jerry Jones is an idiot but if Bill does it he is super smart.

There were people saying that Bill was gonna trade 2 1st round picks to sign Jimmy Graham also.

Then Cheaty will draft a punter for a left guard and fans will wonder why Brady isn't standing up straight.

We have Logan Mankins as our left guard. Center and RG are up for grabs though!

Also, you're just mad that we are signing Verner, Revis, Jared Allen, Owen Daniels, HOFinley, Byrd, Talib and Edelman.

Edit: Almost forgot Steve Smith

Tom Penny

I think you need rehab.

You're goddamned right we'll always have Stafford. Because he's a great QB and after the ridiculous debate NFLGAF had a few years ago about who was the better QB (Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman), Stafford is carrying the 2009 QB draft class in his stomach. And will for at least another decade.

Also I wouldn't mind Jacoby Jones at a cheap price. We will end up drafting Mike Evans, or Sammy Watkins and IMO at least one other WR in a later round.

Fixed.

Bread

Banned
i can't wait until belichick gets all of the good free agents to sign for vet min deals for a championship run. Do it For Brady 2014!

I'm just in the ... Squicken camp here, you have to build the line up in the draft and not in free agency as lineman can decline incredibly fast as we've seen the last coulpe of years.
Great in theory, doesn't jive with the reality of where the team is right now. We need a mix. Too many holes on this offensive line and the rest of the team in general to spend 3 draft picks on the Oline alone. Can't be done. You could build it slowly but Eli is 33 years old and his iron man status isn't going to continue forever behind a porous line. We don't have the luxury of time on our side.

Also, it flies in the face of how the team has been built in the recent past as well.

Kareem McKenzie was a free agent.
Shaun O'Hara was a free agent from the Browns.
David Diehl was a fifth found pick
Chris Snee was a second round pick
Rich Seubert was an undrafted free agent

JABEE

Y'all ain't gettin him. Browns gonna give us picks, cap space, and a year of WWE Network for him.

We'll give you the benefit of not having to be associated with the Browns.

Also, it's the Browns pick. You would probably end up drafting a Weeden anyway. At least it would be in the 5th or 6th round where a Weeden pick belongs.

Tom Penny

i can't wait until belichick gets all of the good free agents to sign for vet min deals for a championship run. Do it For Brady 2014!

Minitron, Revis, Talib , Allen and Steve Smith are a safe bet. They should have plenty of money after that to adress TE and saftey.

Fox318

Worked for them in 2008.

Also which head coaches will be fired after this year?

My money is on Gus Bradley, Jeff Fisher, Dennis Allen, Joe Philbin, and Jason Garrett.

Syrinx

Worked for them in 2008.

My money is on Gus Bradley, Jeff Fisher, Dennis Allen, Joe Philbin, and Jason Garrett.

Mike Smith could be gone if the Falcons have another bad year.

I'm sure Brady's getting a little antsy. It'd be rough for him to finish his career without a single ring.

Like Dan Marino, har har.

JABEE

I know I was excited about Nmandi, but for some reason, I don't think Revis will do the same thing. The only thing I'm concerned about is missing out on both Revis and Byrd due to the timing of everything. I'm okay getting a middle-tier safety if it means bringing in Revis at a reasonable price for him.

Tamanon

Banned
Worked for them in 2008.

Bradley? We ain't the Browns, son. People get chances to actually enact their changes here.

Colasante

Pats update:

I'd like Woodyard. Mayo, Hightower, Collins, and Woodyard would be a very solid linebacker corps and swapping Spikes for Woodyard would go a long way toward making the unit more athletic and better in coverage, and it may also enable them to play more 3-4.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I decided to buy my younger brother Dark Souls II for his birthday, which isn't until Mid April. I decided to take the day off of work because I had to run the job site without my pops for a week due to a family emergency. Thought I could do it but it was a lot harder than I had imagined.

However tomorrow I go back to the grind of things and helping take over the construction business. For today though I'm buying my younger brother Dark Souls II and watch him play. I think this is the first time we've ever done that. As an older brother from the SNES/Super Mario World bundle and forward I would always play the game first and he would watch. Now we're in our mid 20's both hyped as fuck for DSII and I going to watch him play it instead.

/livejournal

I know I was excited about Nmandi, but for some reason, I don't think Revis will do the same thing. The only thing I'm concerned about is missing out on both Revis and Byrd due to the timing of everything. I'm okay getting a middle-tier safety if it means bringing in Revis at a reasonable price for him.

I was super excited about Nnamdi. He looked great with the Raiders and every single site that covers football had him as the top rated player in all of FA that year. The revisionist history that you see now is laughable. Not all FA work out, but not all draft picks work out either. You need to do well with both to be a successful team now.

Draxal

Great in theory, doesn't jive with the reality of where the team is right now. We need a mix. Too many holes on this offensive line and the rest of the team in general to spend 3 draft picks on the Oline alone. Can't be done. You could build it slowly but Eli is 33 years old and his iron man status isn't going to continue forever behind a porous line. We don't have the luxury of time on our side.

Also, it flies in the face of how the team has been built in the recent past as well.

Kareem McKenzie was a free agent.
Shaun O'Hara was a free agent from the Browns.
David Diehl was a fifth found pick
Chris Snee was a second round pick
Rich Seubert was an undrafted free agent

Snee and Mackenzie were both great, Seubert was very good as well, and I would rank O"hara and Diehl as good at best(Diehl was much better than O'Hara). They just got very lucky with Seubert and to a lesser extent with Diehl and they haven't been able to replicate that luck at all and they've tried, how many of the 3-7 round lineman have they failed to develop in the last 4 years?

If you grab Schwarz and Sua'Fila/Yankee you would have a good mix of young players and establish vets.

And as an aside, we both know a huge problem was the lack of production from the rb and te in the pass blocking game, which was a huge hole and hopefully they get Jennings. This team has just so many holes right now.

They have so much cap space that I doubt we land him but I know Striker wanted him for some time now.

Gerhart from the Vikes is also a possibility for us.
Jennings is a great pickup. Last year he finally got to show what he can do. Only downfall was that concussion. For fantasy owners he saved seasons

Snee and Mackenzie were both great, Seubert was very good as well, and I would rank O"hara and Diehl as good at best(Diehl was much better than O'Hara). They just got very lucky with Seubert and to a lesser extent with Diehl and they haven't been able to replicate that luck at all and they've tried, how many of the 3-7 lineman have they failed to develop?

As an aside if you grab Schwarz and Sua'Fila/Yankee you would have a good mix of young players and establish vets.

And as an aside, we both know a huge problem was the lack of production from the rb and te in the pass blocking game, which was a huge hole and hopefully they get Jennings.
Yankey is a first rounder, IMO. He won't be there in the second. Sua'Fila could be there but we'll see how that plays out.

I agree on the last part entirely, yes. EBRONGIANTS2014 campaign continues for me.:D

EDIT: More on Jennings:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 43s

I'm told RB Rashad Jennings could make a decision today and Giants are definitely in the mix, says a source. This definitely could happen.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN · 1m

Raiders are not out of the mix on Jennings. They've got more money to offer, but he may have a better opportunity with Giants. #NYG

Talon

Yankey is a first rounder, IMO. He won't be there in the second. Sua'Fila could be there but we'll see how that plays out.

I agree on the last part entirely, yes. EBRONGIANTS2014 campaign continues for me.:D

EDIT: More on Jennings:
I think our perception of Yankey is a little skewed by that Oregon game. He put in a Larry Allen performance that game, and he was markedly pedestrian against Michigan State.

rando14

I decided to buy my younger brother Dark Souls II for his birthday, which isn't until Mid April. I decided to take the day off of work because I had to run the job site without my pops for a week due to a family emergency. Thought I could do it but it was a lot harder than I had imagined.

However tomorrow I go back to the grind of things and helping take over the construction business. For today though I'm buying my younger brother Dark Souls II and watch him play. I think this is the first time we've ever done that. As an older brother from the SNES/Super Mario World bundle and forward I would always play the game first and he would watch. Now we're in our mid 20's both hyped as fuck for DSII and I going to watch him play it instead.

/livejournal

Kas when will you start playing? My copy should be here by tomorrow

Tamanon

Banned
Why don't the Jags go after free agents?

They'll go after some cheaper ones, but too many holes to fill. Gotta build through the draft instead. No sense dumping a big amount into a corner or tackle that won't be worth it in 3 years when the rest of the team is ready for a run.

Fox318

The better question is: does every team who loses to the Jags fire their HC like this past year?

Here is their schedule. Lets see what teams that would be the most likly to fire a coach.

Indianapolis (11-5)*
Tennessee (7-9)
Houston (2-14)
Miami (8-8)
Cleveland (4-12)
Pittsburgh (8-8) ?
Dallas (8-8) in London
N.Y. Giants (7-9)
San Diego (9-7)**
Baltimore (8-8)
Cincinnati (11-5)*
Philadelphia (10-6)*