• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason 2: Free Agency or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Squicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Per Kent Somers, "Dansby to Browns, 4yrs/$24m. $10m year 1, $14m guaranteed." Oh, Browns.

I sure as hell don't know how cap hits work and what not but that doesn't seem bad considering after year 1 he's only getting 4 million guaranteed if things go bad.

gutshot

Not surprising. Eagles screwed up the market outbidding themselves on Cooper. It's automatic any decent WR wants 6+ M.

Eagles didn't outbid shit. If anything, Cooper's contract is going to lower the going rate of WR2s, not increase it.

http://overthecap.com/riley-coopers-contract-draws-back-second-target-market/

To me what is more interesting about the deal is what this might say about the receiver market. The contract itself is very team friendly. In essence this is a two year $9 million contract where Cooper has to prove he belongs as a secondary target. In terms of annual value Cooper ranks well behind Brian Hartline ($6 million) and Danny Amendola ($5.7 million) the two who seemed to be the standard bearers for the secondary WR’s last year. His guarantees are about what Amendola received.

There is little upside in the contract for Cooper outside of avoiding the uncertainty of free agency. If he develops into a better receiver he will be locked into tier two money for the next five years. If this is the type of contract that the Eagles are offering Jeremy Maclin it would explain why Maclin would prefer taking a prove it type of contract from Philadelphia or another team.

For players such as Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders, who are free agents this year, the Cooper contract does little to give confidence that they can move past Hartline in terms of contract value in free agency. Despite the rumored increase in cap room he came towards the lower end of the WR2 marketplace. Odds are that’s a sign of how most teams will be viewing these players when free agency begins.

squicken

I thought I was making fun of the Pats but apparently I fall on the Pro-New England spectrum on NFL-GAF, with all those Brady Prime jokes

Colasante

Not that simple. They got incredibly lucky with Edelman. Who's going to replace him? Amendola,Dobson, Thompkins? None of those guys can do it as of right now. The chances that Amendola make it through one full season is slim, and the other two guys have a long way to go.

Edelman’s 2012 season: 9 games, 21 receptions, 235 yards, 3 touchdowns. He went to the market and only the Giants were even willing to bring him in for a visit, and he had to settle for slightly above the veteran minimum. Why exactly can't Dobson, Boyce, or Amendola have the season Edelman did last year? He's not a special talent, he's just the only one who stayed healthy for 16 games.

TheFatOne

YES we're entering the hyperbole stage of the offseason already

#mostwonderfultimeoftheyear

It isn't hyperbole. Pats don't have anyone to replace those two guys especially Talib. When he has been healthy he has completely changed the Pats defense. Without him or someone of his caliber the Pats are fucked defensively. I don't trust their record with rookie corners. Ryan was ridiculous last season, but the Pats have a history of rookie corners doing really well their first season then disappearing after that. If the Pats goal is to simply make it to the post season then sure they could make it easily because of the AFC East. Seriously look at the Pats roster who replaces those two guys?
Edelman’s 2012 season: 9 games, 21 receptions, 235 yards, 3 touchdowns. He went to the market and only the Giants were even willing to bring him in for a visit, and he had to settle for slightly above the veteran minimum. Why exactly can't Dobson, Boyce, or Amendola have the season Edelman did last year? He's not a special talent, he's just the only one who stayed healthy for 16 games.

I'm not convinced any of those three can make it through a season healthy. Amendola will not make it through the season healthy. So that leaves Thompkins and Dobson. I don't think either will replace Edelman.

Back to the days of Florio being the most up to date place with news

Yeah starting to come around to this thinking as well I kinda thought Watson was always meant to replace Veldheer. Has better feet and athletic ability for it, higher upside.

Regarding Houston, I don't think they can get to picky, they need him. Pay the man ffs.

You are the voice of reason when it comes to Pats fans, Colasante.

Pretty sure Dansby was one of the top rated ILB last year, while Dqwell was closer to the bottom. Not a bad deal, front loaded which will create cap in future.
Edit: Browns could still sign Moats, seems likely.

Alex did more than his part in the playoffs, so I'll temporarily relent, but not before wishing the Chiefs still had that 2nd round pick. It figures that they pick #1 overall in a year of after Luck comes out, and before a seemingly deep class.

Of all of the players the Chiefs let hit FA, I only have a problem with Schwartz leaving. For one, he was a level above Asamoah. Two, his release sets in motion a nightmare scenario in which the Chiefs go into the draft needing essentially two guards, and then drafting some dickhead like Yankey instead of getting a WR.

Their dire needs are WR, FS & TE, and I'd argue CB & OLB. I wouldn't be shocked to seem them move on from Hali and Flowers after next season.

Bread

Banned
I'm not convinced any of those three can make it through a season healthy. Amendola will not make it through the season healthy. So that leaves Thompkins and Dobson. I don't think either will replace Edelman.
That's a funny thing to say considering Edelman finally had his first healthy season last year.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Fuck a free agency our team is set, we just need three impact players in this draft. We did it last year with about 5 or so and we will do it again. Oh BTW, don't know if this was posted but Sammy Watkins posted this on his Instagram last week:

http://instagram.com/p/lOehI-I240/#

"#dope"

He just posted his Lions jersey with a #88 today. Something is brewing.

http://instagram.com/sammywatkins2

He wants to come to Detroit. Rams how about your #2 for our #10 and a 3rd rounder?

Also looks like Brandon Pettigrew is heavily rumored to be going to the Jests.

Mike Garofalo of Fox Sports is on 94.1 now, says the Eagles are talking to Bryd now as well. He says the Hold up is Bryd wants $9.5 per year and teams dont want to go that high.

Bread

Banned
Fuck a free agency our team is set, we just need three impact players in this draft. We did it last year with about 5 or so and we will do it again. Oh BTW, don't know if this was posted but Sammy Watkins posted this on his Instagram last week:

"#dope"

He just posted his Lions jersey with a #88 today. Something is brewing.

He wants to come to Detroit. Rams how about your #2 for our #10 and a 3rd rounder?

Also looks like Brandon Pettigrew is heavily rumored to be going to the Jests.

:kas :jnc

TheFatOne

what if the pats get everyone they want on defense and finally be a good defensive team..........with no offense

RIPatriots :p

I would be ok with this. They will at least have one legit weapon if Gronk is healthy. They aren't going to be elite, but they should be good enough to win in the playoffs assuming the defense is legit.

Duxxy3

Not that simple. They got incredibly lucky with Edelman. Who's going to replace him? Amendola,Dobson, Thompkins? None of those guys can do it as of right now. The chances that Amendola make it through one full season is slim, and the other two guys have a long way to go.

I didn't think Edelman had it in him either, but he stepped up. Before 2013 he was a special teamer, or someone they brought in for end arounds.

And if this makes room for a taller receiver to get playing time, I am all for it.

gutshot

I am listening to 94.1 all day but that was posted on the Eagles message board just a bit ago.

Yeah, I saw it too, but I'm pretty sure that guy is mistaken or just fucking with people. If he had said that on the air, the 97.5 Twitter would have mentioned it. The only mention of SalPal on their Twitter is that he is going to come on at his usual 5:15 slot.

Yeah, I saw it too, but I'm pretty sure that guy is mistaken or just fucking with people. If he had said that on the air, the 97.5 Twitter would have mentioned it. The only mention of SalPal on their Twitter is that he is going to come on at his usual 5:15 slot.

Oh that sucks, what an asshole.

Kas, don't get your hopes up on Sammy. He posted a Bucs one a week or so ago. I think there fan submissions he's just retweeting.

Colasante

Adam Kaplan just said on NFL Insiders Zane Beadles to the Jaguars is close to a done deal. Will be a pretty nice signing by them. I'm pretty sure he's considered the best guard on the market, maybe other than Schwartz.

squicken

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane
Got this from an NFL executive not in the Jairus Byrd sweepstakes: "Good player, but not clean health. I would not give him a ton of money."

Also, every NFCW has lost a big money free agent ... except Seattle

MechDX

Ravens will evaluate Owen Daniels, according to source, could be a good fit potentially. Unclear if it will develop, just hitting the market

Kubiak already doing work

Ben Volin ‏ @ BenVolin 42m
Could see # Ravens, # Texans and # Browns as legit suitors for Edelman if # Patriots let him get to the market. Important to lock him up, IMO
Browns want a slot guy, heard reason we cooled on Dexter is to pursue some other guys. So we could always revisit Mccluster if nothing else comes through

squicken

Carolina looks in such bad shape. I know it is just March but it seems so unlikely they can patch enough of the holes to get back to 10 wins this year

Bread

Banned
I'd take McCluster on the Pats, he would be a good replacement for the versatility that Edelman brought to the table.

Colasante

I'd take McCluster on the Pats, he would be a good replacement for the versatility that Edelman brought to the table.

Baby Hawk.

hawkins.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom