• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

gutshot

Can you explain to me why Mariota isn't a fit for the Wiz? Why would Mariota not fit in?

I'm not really familiar with Whisenhunt's system. I'm just going off of this quote from The Tennessean:

Mariota played in a high-speed, spread offense at Oregon, which makes him a great fit for someone like Eagles coach Chip Kelly, his former college coach. He's not necessarily a great fit in Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt's offense, which focuses so much on the vertical passing game and would put handcuffs on him.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...riota-jameis-winston-ken-whisenhunt/21709213/

Bowser

Are the Titans really going to draft Mariota at 2? He's not really a fit for Whisenhunt's system plus they just drafted a guy in Mettenberger. I really don't think they will go QB there, but who knows, maybe they fall in love with Mariota.

Next team that might take him are the Jets. Could they be scared of taking another shotgun-spread guy after the Geno Smith debacle? Possibly. Bowles might want to go defense too.

Next up would be the Rams. They desperately need a QB, but a lot will depend on who their OC ends up being.

If he makes it past those 3 teams, the only ones who could conceivably want to draft him in the top 10, the Eagles will get him.

...he was a 6th round pick lol. Not exactly a franchise guy.

should be good lol

Will they have coverage like with the normal combine?!

I need this in my life.

schermafbeelding2015-o1udg.png

This man was also a 6th round pick

gutshot

That's true. But he was picked by the current staff, so they must have seen something they liked. Certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them pick Mariota, but I think they would have to really fall in love with him to ignore other positions of need and select a QB at no. 2.

I honestly think he ends up in either Atlanta or Denver, sadly.

God I hope not. Although I can understand the reasoning...we could easily lose Suh and Fairley this offseason, alongside some vets being cut/leaving. Who knows what he'll be working with next season, if he stays. I maintain Austin and the defense are the biggest reason we made the playoffs.

BTW now that the Bears have a decent coach, and with the Vikings steadily improving...next year will be interesting for the Lions.

Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch
#49ers have also released secondary coach Ed Donatell and LB coach Jim Leavitt from their contracts, per source.

I want Jim Leavitt on the Raider's .....

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2m2 minutes ago
The #Redskins have hired former #Cowboys OC and offensive line coach Bill Callahan to very lucrative three-year contract.

BigAT

This is the official photo the Raiders Twitter account used for Del Rio. It looks like an obituary picture more than anything. Which I suppose is appropriate for anyone that is about to start coaching the Raiders.

B7aFXdXCEAAo3w_.jpg

Bowser

That's true. But he was picked by the current staff, so they must have seen something they liked. Certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them pick Mariota, but I think they would have to really fall in love with him to ignore other positions of need and select a QB at no. 2.

There is no other position of need bigger than QB. If you hit on one, you're a perennial playoff contender.

The Titans especially need only a QB to contend in that shit sandwich division.

I love the notion that Fangio, a man who let it be known he's probably bailing if anyone but him got the HC job (maybe Shanny too, but yuck), would've stayed for some inexplicable reason. Defensive continuity is in scheme and methodology, not staff. Tomsula alone is enough to keep that, which is what matters.

And stop freaking out about rumors. They suck cause NFL media sucks. Yesterday morning Gase was our confirmed HC. Even if they do switch, who's to say it's a bad thing?

They're bringing in new coordinators. Couple that with a change to 4-3...seems like a huge continuity change. I'm also worried about development seeing as how Donatell has been a miracle worker getting value out of our patchwork secondary. And don't get me started about the offensive side of the ball. Yes, running the ball is still important but not as important as developing a passing game. It's like Jed wants to go to pre West Coast offense era football...

Actually Gully State, the more I think about it, wouldn't a switch to 4-3 be BETTER for the Niners if it means we can get Willis, Bowman and Borland on the field at the same time?

In today's NFL it's not that big a deal anyways since everyone spends 50%+ of their time in nickel regardless.

TBH I dunno. I've always thought that OLB need to be able to blitz or cover depending on which side they lineup on. I suppose Willis and Bowman can do both...I just don't get changing what wasn't broke in the first place.

LevelNth

Banned
They're bringing in new coordinators. Couple that with a change to 4-3...seems like a huge continuity change. I'm also worried about development seeing as how Donatell has been a miracle worker getting value out of our patchwork secondary. And don't get me started about the offensive side of the ball. Yes, running the ball is still important but not as important as developing a passing game. It's like Jed wants to go to pre West Coast offense era football...

TBH I dunno. I've always thought that OLB need to be able to blitz or cover depending on which side they lineup on. I suppose Willis and Bowman can do both...I just don't get changing what wasn't broke in the first place.
Tomsula is a D coach. The DC he brings in will be doing what he wants, which is the continuity. And I agree it sucks to lose Donatell, but he was gone after this year when his contract ended anyways, he was going to get a promotion somewhere. Not a big deal to me, it's part of the game.

As for the O, we have to wait and see. But continuing to force a horribly schemed pass game is not the answer.

And if they do change, I see it less as fixing what isn't broken and more getting great players on the field. Do you really want Borland sitting on the bench?

Jarnet87

This is the official photo the Raiders Twitter account used for Del Rio. It looks like an obituary picture more than anything. Which I suppose is appropriate for anyone that is about to start coaching the Raiders.

B7aFXdXCEAAo3w_.jpg

lol. Listened to a bit of Cowherd, he was talking aboit Del Rio taking the job, thinks he will succeed in Oakland. Was also taking about Cardale Jones. thought he had physical tools but doesn't see him being a guy who puts in the time to be successful.

Eh if Wilson can win two rings, he can get whatever he wants. I'll gladly reserve a seat in the Offseason thread right next to Kave for the next half decade if that's the case!! Since the Niners have clearly stopped trying to win and the Rams are, well, the Rams... it would be the Cardinals chance to rise and win!!

Silly Rando we are in the Seahawks Golden Age. 10 years of prosperity. Bask in the glory!

BigAT

Cosell going in on Cardale Jones on Russ Tucker podcast. Says Cardale doesn't know 1st thing about playing QB.

All the more reason to declare now honestly. His stock will never be higher and he doesn't need to give scouts a full year to pick apart his game and find all the flaws. Even worse, he could sit on the bench for an entire season.

Media/analyst say he should come out and his stock will never be higher, gets shredded minutes after rumors of him entering draft lol.

I don't think "he should declare now" and "he'll be an awful NFL quarterback" are mutually exclusive thoughts.

Gigglepoo

Being a sports fan sucks. Two years ago, the 49ers were in the Super Bowl and the Pacers pushed the Heat to 7 games. Now? Both teams are mediocre.

Furyous

Cosell going in on Cardale Jones on Russ Tucker podcast. Says Cardale doesn't know 1st thing about playing QB.

Cosell can shut the entire fuck up with his "no shit" analysis. The QB played in three of the biggest college football games and balled. He's as much of a project at the next level as Mariotta. Matter of fact, if Cosell fellates Mariotta in any capacity then his analysis is invalid forever on some Skip Bayless shit.

If Cardale is hanging around in the any time after the third round the Browns need to take a flyer on him. We've got to develop Johnny anyway but need a fallback plan in case Johnny continues to not care about starting for this team. Plus, Cardale is from Glenville so take him anyway. Don't ask me who's starting next year at all.

All the more reason to declare now honestly. His stock will never be higher and he doesn't need to give scouts a full year to pick apart his game and find all the flaws. Even worse, he could sit on the bench for an entire season.

I don't think "he should declare now" and "he'll be an awful NFL quarterback" are mutually exclusive thoughts.

I feel like after the Matt Barkley fiasco more and more QBs will start coming out as soon as their stock is high enough. I mean if you go from a first rounder to whatever Barkley ended up as that's a huge loss of income. Barkley was a sure fire top 5 pick, future starter and now he will be lucky to be more than a career back up.

Go get paid Cardale.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Cosell can shut the entire fuck up with his "no shit" analysis. The QB played in three of the biggest college football games and balled. He's as much of a project at the next level as Mariotta. Matter of fact, if Cosell fellates Mariotta in any capacity then his analysis is invalid forever on some Skip Bayless shit.

If Cardale is hanging around in the any time after the third round the Browns need to take a flyer on him. We've got to develop Johnny anyway but need a fallback plan in case Johnny continues to not care about starting for this team. Plus, Cardale is from Glenville so take him anyway. Don't ask me who's starting next year at all.

The Browns would force him out there way too early and destroy his career, just like the last 21 qbs they've had.

Furyous

The Browns would force him out there way too early and destroy his career, just like the last 21 qbs they've had.

I saw that BS gif... 9ersGAF is responsible for Ken Dorsey. SteelersGAF is responsible for Bruce Gradowski. We didn't draft Thad Lewis or half the QBs on that list, off the top of my head. QBs are drafted to QB needy teams like Tom Brady in New England and Andrew Luck in Indy.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I saw that BS gif... 9ersGAF is responsible for Ken Dorsey. SteelersGAF is responsible for Bruce Gradowski. We didn't draft Thad Lewis or half the QBs on that list, off the top of my head. QBs are drafted to QB needy teams like Tom Brady in New England and Andrew Luck in Indy.

Oh. The Browns have only drafted half of their bust qbs. You'll be fine, then.

rando14

I have never been this confused after reading a post, in my life

Kevin Sherrets @KSherrets1043FM · 13m 13 minutes ago

Obviously the #49ers will sell it as they wanted Tomsula over Gase but that's not the case. Gase was their guy and offered him the job.

We are hearing that Gase actually turned down the 49ers job and not the other way around. Looks as if @natelundy had it right!

lol makes more sense now

JT Barrett's going to start if he's healthy next year.

So Cardale's choice is between not getting paid to sit on the bench at OSU or getting paid to sit on the bench at an NFL team and develop.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think if we end 2016 with a losing season, they will be gone. With all the questions around why weren't let go along with Mike Smith, they are directly in the hot seat.

No one wants to take a hc job with a lame duck front office. They're fucked.

Bread

Banned
what

Stop pls.

tmdorsey

No one wants to take a hc job with a lame duck front office. They're fucked.

Not necessarily. If you a coach with aspirations of having total control over personnel. Which I could see Blank offering behind closed doors.
Probably wishful thinking on my part. :-/

Dragon

Banned

Quiz, what round was Brady drafted in?

Mrbob

I'm not too hot on either of Fox's coordinators he is planning to bring it, but I'm not too concerned about Allen. I figure the defense will be what John Fox wants. Offensively though I'm not too confident with Kyle Shanahan, but we'll see!

Hmmm wonder why Gase turned the job down then...then again with that ownership in place, he might have been scared off.

Lundy was swearing up and down that his source was correct at the time, guess he was right!

It is interesting that he's starting to garner a ton of interest from other teams as OC...I'm not really interested in having him as a head coach, he could use a tad more experience as OC and not just OC with Peyton Manning as your QB.

Top Bottom