• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

bionic77

I thought his salary was over $40M. Maybe he got penalized for letting Peyton win two years ago.
The way he handled the Pats getting caught cheating multiple times in the regular season and playoffs was deserving of the bonus.

It didn't prevent Hernandez from getting framed.
Thank you.

You can now forever be the Hernandez Defense Force along with Gata.

I think now legally I can't be banned no matter what I say to you.

2fTZu9u.jpg

Who is that?

god damn slingTV fucking sucks on xbone (or maybe everywhere). im trying out the free trial and just turned it on to TNT. 6 minutes left in the rockets/mavs game.... but the game is long over and the spurs/clips has already started. piece of trash!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
god damn slingTV fucking sucks on xbone (or maybe everywhere). im trying out the free trial and just turned it on to TNT. 6 minutes left in the rockets/mavs game.... but the game is long over and the spurs/clips has already started. piece of trash!

Get cable.

:p lol

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas you guys trading back for Gordon?

No, hopefully we stay put and pick him at #23. Which brings me to an article from Mike O'Hara, long time Lions beat writer:

Don't expect Mayhew to stay put with six picks

As general manager Martin Mayhew’s track record shows, it’s best for Lions fans to be on alert for the words “we have a trade” when the Lions are on the clock in any round.
Martin Mayhew didn’t act like an outsider and window shop in the NFL trade market when he became general manager of the Lions in 2008.
Mayhew went straight to the high-priced section and began to deal.

Mayhew was promoted to GM from assistant GM when Matt Millen was fired on Sept. 24, 2008. Only 20 days later – Oct. 14, 2008 – he pulled off his first trade.

He sent under-achieving wide receiver Roy Williams to Dallas for the Cowboys’ first-, third- and sixth-round picks in the 2009 draft. In addition to Williams, the Cowboys got Detroit’s seventh-round pick in ’09.

At the time, the Lions were en route to the historic 0-16 won-loss record, and it was a foregone conclusion that Williams – a first-round draft pick in 2004 with one Pro Bowl season on his checkered resume -- would depart after the season as a free agent.

The payoff of the deal was weighted in the Lions’ favor, although it did not work out quite as well as might have been expected. With the first-round pick, 20th overall, the Lions drafted tight end Brandon Pettigrew, a six-year starter going into his seventh season as a Lion.

Players acquired with the other two picks – wide receiver Derrick Williams in the third round, running back Aaron Brown of TCU in the sixth – failed to make any impact. Williams was out of football after the 2010 season. Brown lasted one game longer. He was released after one game in 2011.

However, the trade with Dallas was a sign of what was to come from Mayhew, who’s in his eighth season as GM and preparing to lead his seventh draft. He has been an aggressive deal-maker in shopping draft picks, initially to build the talent-bare roster he inherited in 2008 and lately to maintain and improve it.

In six drafts – 2009 through 2014 – 23 players drafted by the Lions have been taken with acquired picks as the result of trades. That doesn’t mean there have been 23 trades, though. For example, the Lions got three draft picks in the one trade with Dallas in 2008.

In this year’s draft, the Lions have the 23rd pick in Thursday night’s first round and six picks overall – one in all seven rounds except the fourth.

But as Mayhew’s track record shows – and his words reinforce – it’s best for Lions fans to be on alert for the words “we have a trade” when the Lions are on the clock in any round.

“I think I made the point at the league meeting that we’ve never started a draft and finished a draft with the same picks,” Mayhew said at his pre-draft press conference last week. “So I think we’ll have a different number of picks at the end of the draft.”

No formula or pattern has been followed in trades involving draft picks. Mayhew has swapped draft picks in a current draft year and future draft years and sometimes moved up or down in the same round, either at the cost of a pick to get a player he has targeted or to add a pick in exchange for moving down.

The only significant change is that Mayhew has been less inclined to use draft picks to acquire veterans. In the first three drafts he supervised – 2009 through 2011 – Mayhew used draft picks to acquire veteran players who were needed to plug gaping holes in the roster.

Linebacker Julian Peterson (Seattle 2009), guard Rob Sims (Seattle 2010), cornerback Chris Houston (Atlanta 2010) and defensive tackle Corey Williams (Cleveland 2010) were veterans brought in to be serviceable starters. Mayhew gave up low-round picks, an exchange of draft picks or a combination of picks and players to make deals.

The Lions’ low standing, a byproduct of a decade of losing, made it problematic to sign veteran free agents to reasonable contracts.

“Early on, that was something a lot of times that we did because of the difficulty of signing those guys as free agents,” Mayhew said. “If Corey Williams hit the free agent market, what he was going to cost in terms of that bonus and then trying to attract him here was going to be extremely difficult to get done.”

The Lions have been in playoff contention the last four years, thus making the team a more attractive destination for free agents such as Reggie Bush, Glover Quin and Golden Tate. Mayhew has been less active in trading draft picks for veterans.

“I think we’re in a place now where we have a pretty solid core of quality players and we really want to add some youth to that group,” he said. “I think the draft is the best way to do that.”

An exception to that was this year, when the Lions acquired Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata from the Ravens for fourth- and fifth-round draft picks. The Lions needed a defensive tackle to make up for free-agent losses on the defensive line, primarily Ndamukong Suh’s signing with Miami.

Following is the year-by-year summation and highlights of Mayhew’s trades involving draft picks:

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/oh...ix-picks/f9617df8-1747-49ae-a6ba-efb4e8a86111

More at the link. Mayhew will no doubt trade down from either Rounds 2 or 3 to aquire more picks. Like the article states that's how we got DeAndre Levy.

We can add depth for the offensive and defensive lines in the later rounds. Running back is a need of ours and when you have a undeniable talent like Melvin Gordon you have to take him.

Melvin Gordon will fill that void that Jahvid Best left. I remember those first 5 games with Jahvid in 2011. They were beautiful. I think Gordon is close/as good as Jahvid was.

RBH

I have a random question.

I use my Facebook account to log into my Spotify account (premium), and I now want to deactivate my Facebook account. Is there any way that I could transfer my existing Spotify account from a Facebook account to a regular email account, or am I fucked?

Top Bottom