• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

Spinluck

Seriously, what is the buzz about drafting Dorsett in round 1? Colts really believe TY HIlton is walking next season?

Apparently a number of players on the team are pissed at the decision. Not surprised.

And according to Jimmy/Grigson/Pagano it has nothing to do with potentially losing TY next year. Hmmm.

MechDX

Apparently a number of players on the team are pissed at the decision. Not surprised.

And according to Jimmy/Grigson/Pagano it has nothing to do with potentially losing TY next year. Hmmm.

Saw that article on PFT but its Florio so I give it little credence. Any other reporters saying it?

Any good tidbits?

Here you go:

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 3m3 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Jerry Reese: "We think we had a solid off-season and we think we are getting close to being back where we want to be.''

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 1m1 minute ago Manhattan, NY
Reese says Victor Cruz is probably at 85-90 percent but "they're taking it as a snail's pace right now.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 40s41 seconds ago Manhattan, NY
Reese says he fully expects Victor Cruz to be on the field for the season opener at Dallas.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 7m7 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Jerry Reese on @WFAN660 likes that Mykkele Thompson is fast enough to chase down receivers in the open field.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 9m9 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Jerry Reese says Landon Collins "really fits what coach Spagnuolo envisions'' at safety.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 10m10 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Reese says Collins has leadership ability, like Antrel Rolle.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 12m12 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Jerry Reese says he thinks Brandon Scherff can play right tackle. Says Flowers is right or left tackle.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 12m12 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Reese he liked Stanford OT Andrus Peat, but had Ereck Flowers rated higher.

Yes, here's hoping those percentages are even close to accurate. Reading about his injury when it happened, there was a lot saying it can take a year and a half to recover and it was essentially worse than an ACL tear would be.

As someone who suffers knee trouble I have nothing but sympathy for people who injure their knees. It's the worst. It was really shocking when he went down in that game too.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 3m3 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
Odell Beckham Jr. 1 of 4 finalists for Madden NFL 16 cover, joins Rob Gronkowski, Patrick Peterson, Antonio Brown.

Please DO NOT put him on the cover!

LevelNth

Banned
Well, Bill Barnwell at least thinks the Niners had one smart value pick (Eli Harold) so it wasn't all bad.
I think my favorite part of the Niners draft is people saying Armstead will be bad based on his statistical production being low.

I wish I could be a professional writer about football and not even know what a 34 DE does.

My Steelers draft thoughts. I'm going to talk about the individual guys and then some trends.

1 - Alvin 'Bud' Dupree, olb, Kentucy - A surprise that he fell to 22. His production didn't match his combine measurables. Looking at his tape, I believe that he doesn't always initiate contact with the offensive tackle when playing the run or pass. He shows it at times, but not consistently. If he can just fire the first shot, he's going to be a beast. Amazing first step and burst. 10 yard split is the same as Amari Cooper. It's going to take a year or two, imo, but he'll be good.

2 - Senquez Golson, cb, Mississippi - A former Red Sox center fielder that has a great feel for tracking the football. And catching the football. Willing and capable tackler. Not the greatest combine numbers and is on the small side.

3 - Sammy Coates, wr, Auburn - A physical beast. Reminds me of Terrell Owens. Dropped a lot of easy balls and caught a lot of difficult ones. Played in a limited offense with a limited quarterback. A little ahead of where Bryant was last year.

4 - Doran Grant, cb, Ohio State - A competitive guy with decent athleticism. Also a willing tackler. Played a lot of zone scheme, as did Golson. That's fine, because that's what the Steelers do, too.

5 - Jessie James, te, Penn State - Big. Really tall, really raw. Mostly a blocker in college, but flashed an ability to run routes and catch. His blocking was adequate, but not great.

6 - LT Walton, de, Central Michigan - About the right size for a swing tackle but could stand to be in better shape. Probably a guy who'll be a project, end up on the practice squad and then be picked up by the Cardinals in mid-season.

6 - Anthony Chickillo, olb, Miami - Played with his hand down in college. Total project at olb. Big, decent athlete.

7 - Gerod Holliman, s, Louisville - Consensus all-american who had 14 total interceptions. Will also lay the wood.

Standing back and looking at these guys, a few trends stand out.

Firstly, both of the olb picks are big guys. Could this be a sign that new d-coordinator, Dick Butler, will use an 'elephant' position? If Chickillo makes the squad, the answer is a definitive yes.

The Steelers drafted 3 defensive backs. They're all good to great tacklers. They also all showed an ability to defend and intercept the football in the air. Good news, imo.

The biggest weakness of the offense last year was red zone scoring. Both of the receiver picks are big guys that should be able to pluck lobbed footballs.

For the second year in a row, the Steelers got a couple of highly rated sparq guys, in Dupree and Coates. Last year, it was Shazier and Bryant.

Overall, not the most exciting draft. Hopefully it does provide years of productivity at a few areas of need.

Pretty much agree. he part of this draft i'm most excited about is the turn towards speed. Tomlin has been dabbling in it since Spence but now it's a clear full commitment.

MechDX

I think my favorite part of the Niners draft is people saying Armstead will be bad based on his statistical production being low.

I wish I could be a professional writer about football and not even know what a 34 DE does.

If he doesn't have production like Watt he is a bust. 34 DE hot take

I saw that Dallas drafted two more OTs. Do you guys think these new OTs can play without holding? Does this mean they won't be the team with the most offensive holding penalties in the league next year?

I don't care about production but a 6'7 3-4 DE? Is there another 3-4 DE in history that is that tall and had success?

I hope I look like a dumb fucking idiot a couple years from now but right now this draft class is a head scratcher for me

BigAT

I don't care about production but a 6'7 3-4 DE? Is there another 3-4 DE in history that is that tall and had success?

I hope I look like a dumb fucking idiot a couple years from now but right now this draft class is a head scratcher for me

You look like a dumb fucking idiot now if it makes you feel better.

Chris Canty is 6'7".

eznark

Banned
You look like a dumb fucking idiot now if it makes you feel better.

QNkEBqg.gif

Farooq

Banned
I saw that Dallas drafted two more OTs. Do you guys think these new OTs can play without holding? Does this mean they won't be the team with the most offensive holding penalties in the league next year?

Since we are asking random fucking questions. You think Lane Johnson will be suspended again for using PEDs?

Since we are asking random fucking questions. You think Lane Johnson will be suspended again for using PEDs?

Probably not, he learned how to properly cycle last year. Not every team gets the rules rewritten for them when a player gets suspended, so Lane had to learn the proper techniques to hide his usage like everyone else in the league.

Farooq

Banned
Probably not, he learned how to properly cycle last year. Not every team gets the rules rewritten for them when a player gets suspended, so Lane had to learn the proper techniques to hide his usage like everyone else in the league.

Right, and you could call holding on every play. Why throw stones?

Also, what you are trying to imply with regards to Scandrick's suspension is downright silly.

squicken

Texans didn't pick up the extension on Mercillus? Man, they were so awful at finding another DL to go alongside Watt during the Smith/Kubiak/Wade era

Farooq

Banned
I guess they could call holding on every play and then pick up the flag on certain ones.

We all live in glass houses. Every player uses PEDs, there is holding on every play.

Is your point that the Cowboys get an advantage? The calls/non-calls always go their way? If this is your claim, can you support it with evidence?

My Steelers draft thoughts. I'm going to talk about the individual guys and then some trends.

1 - Alvin 'Bud' Dupree, olb, Kentucy - A surprise that he fell to 22. His production didn't match his combine measurables. Looking at his tape, I believe that he doesn't always initiate contact with the offensive tackle when playing the run or pass. He shows it at times, but not consistently. If he can just fire the first shot, he's going to be a beast. Amazing first step and burst. 10 yard split is the same as Amari Cooper. It's going to take a year or two, imo, but he'll be good.

2 - Senquez Golson, cb, Mississippi - A former Red Sox center fielder that has a great feel for tracking the football. And catching the football. Willing and capable tackler. Not the greatest combine numbers and is on the small side.

3 - Sammy Coates, wr, Auburn - A physical beast. Reminds me of Terrell Owens. Dropped a lot of easy balls and caught a lot of difficult ones. Played in a limited offense with a limited quarterback. A little ahead of where Bryant was last year.

4 - Doran Grant, cb, Ohio State - A competitive guy with decent athleticism. Also a willing tackler. Played a lot of zone scheme, as did Golson. That's fine, because that's what the Steelers do, too.

5 - Jessie James, te, Penn State - Big. Really tall, really raw. Mostly a blocker in college, but flashed an ability to run routes and catch. His blocking was adequate, but not great.

6 - LT Walton, de, Central Michigan - About the right size for a swing tackle but could stand to be in better shape. Probably a guy who'll be a project, end up on the practice squad and then be picked up by the Cardinals in mid-season.

6 - Anthony Chickillo, olb, Miami - Played with his hand down in college. Total project at olb. Big, decent athlete.

7 - Gerod Holliman, s, Louisville - Consensus all-american who had 14 total interceptions. Will also lay the wood.

Standing back and looking at these guys, a few trends stand out.

Firstly, both of the olb picks are big guys. Could this be a sign that new d-coordinator, Dick Butler, will use an 'elephant' position? If Chickillo makes the squad, the answer is a definitive yes.

The Steelers drafted 3 defensive backs. They're all good to great tacklers. They also all showed an ability to defend and intercept the football in the air. Good news, imo.

The biggest weakness of the offense last year was red zone scoring. Both of the receiver picks are big guys that should be able to pluck lobbed footballs.

For the second year in a row, the Steelers got a couple of highly rated sparq guys, in Dupree and Coates. Last year, it was Shazier and Bryant.

Overall, not the most exciting draft. Hopefully it does provide years of productivity at a few areas of need.

Thanks for the recap. Didn't get to see any of Day 2 and beyond. I know absolutely nothing about any of these guys so any info/opinions I read is much appreciated. I guess they addressed needed areas, just hope some of them pan out quickly. It's truly Tomlin's team now, so we'll see if he gets the results. I am a little disappointed at the size of some of the secondary guys.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Seriously though what it is with Bill and his fetish for picking guarantee bust safeties in the high rounds? Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon, now Richards.... seriously he's whiffed on all those giant reaches, but he keeps tryin.

Top Bottom