• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| Mock draft Central sponsored by the Shirtless League

I haven't really read any post-draft breakdowns, but I'm sure the national media is shitting on the Panthers' draft for not addressing needs and reaching for players. Just like they did last year.

And the year before that.

Getts is what he is. He takes the players he wants and doesn't give a fuck about needs or supposed value.

So far, I can't question his results.

effzee

I have to say Eric Rowe in the 2nd round is getting a lot of love. I don't watch any college football so reading up on him during the draft lead up I thought he was only high on the Eagles list but people seem to think he should start day1.

Feeling better about the secondary. If only Chip was able to sign Devon McCourty - off season would have been perfect.

Syrinx

I'm generally pleased about this Bucs draft but only one defensive player drafted in the last two years is kinda alarming. Not that our offense didn't need those picks but our defense, though it was better in the second half of last season, isn't exactly shutdown.

Another Raiders cut, Kevin Boothe. Former Giant, I wonder if they would bring him back for depth. I would certainly welcome him for cheap, versatile guy that can play 3 spots.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Raiders are releasing OL Kevin Boothe. Nine-year veteran appeared in nine games for the team last year. Could get a look elsewhere.

No, No, No, No, get younger is the goal, don't retread...

No classes for the rest of the week and I'm exempt from 3 out of 4 of my finals, time to get drunk (Normal drunk not Jak drunk I like my liver).
FyQyig8.gif

I give Dolphins a C, parker was a great pick up but they fucked it up in round two going for a luxury pick instead of adressing the bigger needs of cb and lb, they got some cbs later but completely ignored the lb core.

No, No, No, No, get younger is the goal, don't retread...

The current veteran backup at G/C is Dallas Reynolds who is 31, 32? Boothe is about the same age and can play all 5 positions. I don't disagree on getting young but an established veteran who can be the swing T/G and has been solid in the system in the past isn't the worst thing in the world. Wouldn't hurt to get a look.

I spent the afternoon watching some game tape for Ereck Flowers. Specifically the game against Nebraska (Randy Gregory) and Georgia. A few notes:

- Slow footed and really awkward with his kick step. /Really/ awkward which can turn you off of him really quickly when you watch more polished prospects.
- Despite that awkwardness he's pretty damn athletic movement wise. His size and athleticism helps him to hide some of his deficiencies. I was surprised by how quickly he can recover from a missed or poor executed block because of his movement.
- Speed rushers (like Gregory) will give him fits off the bat in the NFL. Reese/Ross are adamant he has the propensity to be a franchise left tackle but he's good 2-3 seasons of playing time /coaching away from that.
- Natural run blocker who finishes and can hold blocks nicely. He can be really nasty with his downfield blocking which I like a lot. Better as a run blocker than in pass protection but any deficiencies in that regard can be worked on while he plays on the right side and blasts holes open in the running game.

I'll say what I said before - he's our starting right tackle this season. Justin Pugh is moving inside. It's a just a matter of where (my preference if left guard as it will allow Schwartz to play his natural RG position).

That's my amateur level scouting of the guy. I hope he ends up developing quickly. If the Giants want to move on from Beatty in 2017 (when he's truly cuttable), he will allow them to do that without much thought.

MechDX

Rex Ryan is having dinner with La’El Collins now, an unsanctioned meeting, as @DellengerAdv said. Tune in to @BrettBuffington for details--Rappaport

Bills HC Rex Ryan passed through Baton Rouge, La., tonight and had an unsanctioned meeting with LSU OL La'el Collins, per @mikerodak and me.-Schefter

Rex doing work

I spent the afternoon watching some game tape for Ereck Flowers. Specifically the game against Nebraska (Randy Gregory) and Georgia. A few notes:

- Slow footed and really awkward with his kick step. /Really/ awkward which can turn you off of him really quickly when you watch more polished prospects.
- Despite that awkwardness he's pretty damn athletic movement wise. His size and athleticism helps him to hide some of his deficiencies. I was surprised by how quickly he can recover from a missed or poor executed block because of his movement.

- Speed rushers (like Gregory) will give him fits off the bat in the NFL. Reese/Ross are adamant he has the propensity to be a franchise left tackle but he's good 2-3 seasons of playing time /coaching away from that.
- Natural run blocker who finishes and can hold blocks nicely. He can be really nasty with his downfield blocking which I like a lot. Better as a run blocker than in pass protection but any deficiencies in that regard can be worked on while he plays on the right side and blasts holes open in the running game.

I'll say what I said before - he's our starting right tackle this season. Justin Pugh is moving inside. It's a just a matter of where (my preference if left guard as it will allow Schwartz to play his natural RG position).

That's my amateur level scouting of the guy. I hope he ends up developing quickly. If the Giants want to move on from Beatty in 2017 (when he's truly cuttable), he will allow them to do that without much thought.

Problem with this is he's not going to be facing college level pass rushers anymore. Especially in that division. Sounds like the key for him is to get his footwork heavily this offseason in order to really thrive.

Problem with this is he's not going to be facing college level pass rushers anymore. Especially in that division.
That's why he has no business being on the left side off the bat in his career like I said. He's 21 years old and far from a finished product. You put him on the right side and let him learn. He has an excellent offensive line coach in Pat Flaherty and I can see why the Giants brass felt he was a better prospect than say Andrus Peat. There's no rush here. The Giants have an established left tackle in Will Beatty. They also get better at guard by moving Pugh inside. Anything that gets John Jerry on the bench.

MechDX

As if this La'el Collins situation had gotten weird enough, now he and Rex Ryan appear to have gone rogue for dinner. #unsanctioned-Breer

Rex took the kid to the club

Malalaw

I'm reading on NFL.com and checking out the "experts" opinion on the Saints draft.

Everything ranging from an A to a C. I really liked our picks and I can see almost all of them contributing to the team in some form this season. Our O-line should be ok with Peat and Brees should get sacked a hell of a lot less. Our front seven with Anthony and Kikaha should spice things up and hopefully turn things around. P.J. Williams and Tull have promise as well. I'd give this draft a solid B+.

cajunator

Banned
I'm reading on NFL.com and checking out the "experts" opinion on the Saints draft.

Everything ranging from an A to a C. I really liked our picks and I can see almost all of them contributing to the team in some form this season. Our O-line should be ok with Peat and Brees should get sacked a hell of a lot less. Our front seven with Anthony and Kikaha should spice things up and hopefully turn things around. P.J. Williams and Tull have promise as well. I'd give this draft a solid B+.

The main question is what will our WR corps be like?
We have several unproven guys who will now be depended upon to produce. Luckily we have a highly accurate qb to give them the absolute best chance to succeed.

Malalaw

The main question is what will our WR corps be like?
We have several unproven guys who will now be depended upon to produce. Luckily we have a highly accurate qb to give them the absolute best chance to succeed.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Morgan and Toon step it up this year. I have faith though.

That's why he has no business being on the left side off the bat in his career like I said. He's 21 years old and far from a finished product. You put him on the right side and let him learn. He has an excellent offensive line coach in Pat Flaherty and I can see why the Giants brass felt he was a better prospect than say Andrus Peat. There's no rush here. The Giants have an established left tackle in Will Beatty. They also get better at guard by moving Pugh inside. Anything that gets John Jerry on the bench.

I don't disagree with you. I think he'll learn given time. I would have loved him on the Eagles.

Fox318

Why things like "draft grades" immediately post-draft are fucking stupid in one picture:

CENWma4WgAAh_EH.jpg:large

I think you can make a grade based on the teams need.

If the team desperately needed oline help and their first pick they draft a safety I don't give a shit how talented that guy could be its a bad pick.

Plus its not like the Texans have won the Super Bowl.

Bowser

I think you can make a grade based on the teams need.

If the team desperately needed oline help and their first pick they draft a safety I don't give a shit how talented that guy could be its a bad pick.

Plus its not like the Texans have won the Super Bowl.

Drafting for need is the first step to the unemployment line.

Drafting for need is the first step to the unemployment line.

I don't know sometimes grabbing the best player available is the right choice, but then other times that guy becomes a bust, and you still have a gaping hole at X position.

I think it's like 50/50.... I feel in the NFL drafting for need is acceptable and very viable. However in the NBA just grab the best fucking player is almost always the way to go.

Battle of the Gods was okay. I enjoyed it but I think I've grown more accustom to the more grounded battles nowadays of Naruto, Bleach, D-Gray Man, Fairy Tail and others like it. I can see why people like and I probably would of enjoyed it even more had the High School me watched it.

Top Bottom