• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

So in football news, Giants started their OTA's today.

1st team Linebackers: Mark Herzlich, Spencer Paysinger and Keith Rivers (Herzlich in the middle)
2nd team Linebackers: Dan Connor, Aaron Curry and Jacquain Williams (Connor in the middle)

I do believe the Giants now take the crown for the worst group of linebackers in the league.

David Diehl opened at RT with James Brewer at RG but that's mainly because Snee is still recovering from hip surgery. Pugh isn't signed either so can't participate, yet.

Oh and:

RT @giantswfan: hynoski being carted off after a running play >> Crap. That is not good.

:(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So in football news, Giants started their OTA's today.

1st team Linebackers: Mark Herzlich, Spencer Paysinger and Keith Rivers (Herzlich in the middle)
2nd team Linebackers: Dan Connor, Aaron Curry and Jacquain Williams (Connor in the middle)

I do believe the Giants now take the crown for the worst group of linebackers in the league.

David Diehl opened at RT with James Brewer at RG but that's mainly because Snee is still recovering from hip surgery. Pugh isn't signed either so can't participate, yet.

So it's not bad that Aaron Curry is the only name I recognize there?

squicken

haha that Sunni GI is amazing. Guess for the next 3 weeks it will be trolling and drama in the Gaming section. That's when it shines

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
How have you not heard of Herzlich? Dude had cancer, bro. Cancer.

No English

Herzlich was a highly rated LB, he went undrafted because of cancer.

Give him a break. He's a Packers fan, to him Herzlich is just another faceless person in the huge crowd of cancer patients Rodgers has spat on.

I blame The Giants fans here because as much as you all talk about your team's defense, I'm only highly aware of your secondary and D-Line!

Talon

So it's not bad that Aaron Curry is the only name I recognize there?
Paysinger was featured with the Oregon D for the past few years. Herzlich (BC), Rivers (USC), Connor (PSU) and Curry (WF) were college stars.

Too bad none of them have shown anything at the pro level, but it seems like Coughlin always rides with mediocre linebackers.

squicken

I read something this morning that a backstage demo with the cable box functionality was with a DirecTV receiver. You can already plug in your fantasy team and get updates with DTV, so I could some partnership with MS, DTV, and the NFL announced at a later date. The only thing that matters is getting ST on the XBOX w/o a DTV subscription, and I just can't see DTV giving that up.

MS is just after their brand being at NFL games. If you think of how many times the TV shows coaches on the sideline, that a pretty nice slice of promotion to have them all holding heavily branded Surface tablets

Milchjon

MS is just after their brand being at NFL games. If you think of how many times the TV shows coaches on the sideline, that a pretty nice slice of promotion to have them all holding heavily branded Surface tablets

Will they also show those Surface Pros running out of battery during OT games?

Now I just hurt myself :-(

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

Sunhi did it again. It's glorious.

Ether

Which thread was this in?

squicken

The DF piece at Eurogamer is great. Really shows that Sony was bold with its design, and that allowed them to make the better product

edit: @Aaron_Nagler: Mark Sanchez in mid-season form, throwing three picks so far in today's OTA.

RBH

Hundreds of players will get cut by NFL players before the start of the regular season, and most of those players will keep working out and hoping for another chance at making it in professional football.

But some of those players may try to make it in professional wrestling.

Jim Ross, who works with World Wrestling Entertainment in talent development, has a meeting scheduled with the NFL Players Association today in which he’ll make the case that football players who lose their jobs on NFL teams should be informed that a second career in pro wrestling may be available to them.

“Everybody doesn’t make the 53-man roster,” Ross told Alex Marvez and Jim Miller on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “Some guys are going to be looking for work, and we’ve got some job openings. Maybe we can put the synergies of those two entities together and create something wonderful some day.”

From the WWE’s perspective, it’s easy to see why this makes sense: Pro wrestling needs big, strong, agile athletes, and football produces lots of those. And some of the guys cut by the NFL would bring name recognition from their playing days into the wrestling ring.

There’s also a long history of athletes dabbling in both wrestling and football, from Bronko Nagurski to Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and dozens of others in between. If you’re a football player who couldn’t quite make it in the NFL, you could do worse than turning to wrestling.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...calling-for-players-who-get-cut-from-the-nfl/

0vOvS.gif

@Patricia_Traina: Corey Webster has been beaten at least three times this practice.
Ah, the NY Giants 2013 season has begun!

EDIT:

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina 1m

Coughlin indicated Hyno's injury was a knee but added that they don't know what extent. Said he'll say a Few prayers.

Looks like Hakeem Nicks skipped practice today and Coughlin wasn't none to happy about it either.

squicken

Ah, the NY Giants 2013 season has begun!

EDIT:

Looks like Hakeem Nicks skipped practice today and Coughlin wasn't none to happy about it either.

OTAs don't matter, but they aren't meaningless. People get dismissive of offseason stuff and preseason, but there are things to pay attention to

OTAs don't matter, but they aren't meaningless. People get dismissive of offseason stuff and preseason, but there are things to pay attention to
Yep. OTA's aren't mandatory either so Nicks skipping a day technically isn't to be held against him. Apparently he was at a charity event in the city last night. Too much drink, Hakeem!

I fully expect Webster to suck at much the same level he did last year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he doesn't. The fact that we're not paying him that obscene salary makes it easier to digest.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
OTAs sound like that part of the work day between 4pm and 6pm where you pretend to be busy for brownie points instead of cutting out early.

squicken

OTAs sound like that part of the work day between 4pm and 6pm where you pretend to be busy for brownie points instead of cutting out early.

They matter for rookies and young players. The Rams are the only team not doing a the mandatory mini-camp. Fisher thinks the vets don't need them. But the do have a "rookie week" instead

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
They matter for rookies and young players. The Rams are the only team not doing a the mandatory mini-camp. Fisher thinks the vets don't need them. But the do have a "rookie week" instead

Are OTAs where they do a back to basics kind of program? I remember hearing rumblings about that since so many players especially on defense like to hit a player down instead of wrapping up and tackling.

I know back in the day, Vince Lombardi started every summer with the basics regardless of how long they've played.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I like football! Dont you guys?

I think its swell.

=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M0SbQz8itNE#t=19s

Are OTAs where they do a back to basics kind of program? I remember hearing rumblings about that since so many players especially on defense like to hit a player down instead of wrapping up and tackling.

I know back in the day, Vince Lombardi started every summer with the basics regardless of how long they've played.

No pads, so no tackling drills.

ChanHuk

Banned

OTAs is essentially a back to basics program, most the vets skip out on it since they're not mandatory. But for rookies and UDFAs, its basically their tryouts. You have your OTA and training camp stars though that don't produce shit on the field.

Dragon

Banned

squicken

Yeah the DF stuff was pretty damning to be honest. MS will have to come up with some really good games to combat the difference for the core gamer. Thanks for the link.

It's going to come down to 3rd parties exploiting that. It seems like relatively low hanging fruit, so I expect most will

It's going to come down to 3rd parties exploiting that. It seems like relatively low hanging fruit, so I expect most will
The Anandtech article states the obvious though:

The funny thing about game consoles is that it’s usually the lowest common denominator that determines the bulk of the experience across all platforms.

If Microsoft remains in the drivers seat this next generation, all of that added power will be meaningless for Sony outside of first party titles which is the exact situation you have today. Developers will develop to the strengths of the top system.

Michael Crabtree tore his achillies. Out for the year I'd guess
Ugh. That sucks.:( Hate to see that shit happen before training camp even starts.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Michael Crabtree tore his achillies. Out for the year I'd guess
fmt! Post if you're ok!
b/c the PS3's advantage wasn't low hanging. These are the same machines, only one has a better CPU, GPU, and Ram
The smart devs will simply scale their engines. If they make a pc version, it should be similar, but easier, because the h/w is a known commodity. It could certainly mean that most multi-plat games will look better on the PS4.

Top Bottom