• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Actually it's quite amazing how many elite, non-QB players they have. JJ Watt just had one of the 5 greatest seasons a defensive player has ever had. Foster had a nice few years before Kubiak ran him into the ground. Even Cushing is dominant when he's healthy and beating drug tests

But God does Schaub fucking suck. He's going to get booed to hell all year. If he dies mysteriously, if the police even care to investigate, we will all know suspect #1. Mech knows Schoob is killing their window
Yeah, I don't disagree at all. Any hope of Schaub being anything more than mediocre was completely destroyed in the second half of last season. It was actually pretty sad to see it all unfold.

The lesson? Don't draft a UVA QB.

And Mech, no matter how many times you bring up the Dolphins it isn't going to get Schaub any closer to winning you a SB. At least the Phins have a QB with some potential!

squicken

I think Foster is all scheme. Put him behind any other o-line and he's OOL in a year.

He's the perfect back for a ZBS system. But he's more than that. In 2010 he was phenomenal out of the backfield as a receiver. But Kubiak just used him up. Such a good coordinator but bad head coach

Fantomex

At least post a topical version.

ibw42csRFpFAn8.gif

The fan in the stands is what I picture FMT looking like in real life.

squicken

Oh Cam

His teammates sure seem enthused about him being captain one day

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton indicated this week he wants to be a team captain someday.

But with a couple of the cornerstones of the franchise seemingly entrenched as offensive captains, it could be a while before Newton gets to wear a “C” on his jersey.

Receiver Steve Smith and left tackle Jordan Gross, the team’s longest-tenured players, have been selected the offensive captains the past several seasons, in voting by their teammates.

“You’ve got to look at the team as a whole. I just think there’s guys who have been with the organization a lot longer that have been in that role for a long time,” veteran center Ryan Kalil said Thursday. “So it’s hard. There’s only two of them. I would say there’s a couple other guys that would be in that mix.

“But it’ll be a while before it transitions to somebody else.”

In response to a reporter’s question Wednesday, Newton said he would like to be a captain and understands the responsibility that comes with it.

“I recognize – and everyone knows around the league – when you’re a team captain that’s not just a patch on the jersey. You’re holding yourself to a higher standard with being accountable,” Newton said. “I’m going about it each and every day and trying to make that happen.”

Newton has been criticized by fans, media and even teammates for his on-field demeanor at times during his first two seasons. But Panthers coach Ron Rivera, who referred to Newton as “Mr. Mopeyhead” during Newton’s rookie year, said he’s seen Newton take on more of a leadership role of late.

That doesn’t necessarily mean Newton will be a captain when the Panthers vote on their 2013 choices in September after the opening-week, 53-man roster is set. Since moving to permanent, season-long captains in 2002 – after using different captains each week under former coach George Seifert – the Panthers have never had more than two captains on offense, defense or special teams.

In 10 of the 11 seasons since 2002, the Panthers have had five captains – two on offense, two on defense and one on special teams. Carolina employed two special teams captains in 2011 – kicker John Kasay and safety Charles Godfrey.

Smith has been a captain for four seasons – 2007 and every year since 2010. Gross has been captain every year since 2009, and replaced quarterback Jake Delhomme as an offensive captain in 2007 after Delhomme was injured.

“I never came in saying I’m going to be a captain,” Gross said Thursday. “You look who it’s been and it’s usually… like Pep (Julius Peppers) was a captain and he’s not a vocal guy. But he’s somebody that I loved looking at during games because it made me feel better.”

After leading the Panthers to the Super Bowl in 2003 during his first year in Charlotte, Delhomme was a captain for his final six seasons with Carolina.

Besides Gross and Smith, the Panthers’ other captains last season were special teams captain Jordan Senn, linebackers Thomas Davis and Jon Beason, and defensive end Charles Johnson, who replaced the injured Beason.

Gross said the qualifications for being a captain are varied and hard to define.

“It’s not always the loudest guy that’s doing the most you can see from the stands,” Gross said. “Just a consistent person that guys rely on.”

Like Newton, Kalil said he also would like to be a captain, but knows he might have to wait.

“I think Steve is somebody, Jordan’s somebody, they’ve been here a long time and are very well respected, not only in the community and the organization, but with teammates, as well,” Kalil said. “So I don’t think it’s just a matter of years and age. But the longer you’ve been here, the more time you’ve had to prove that role and earn that right.”

But there could soon be a vacancy or two among the offensive captains. In restructuring his contract this offseason, Gross, 32, agreed to a deal that voids after this season, essentially making it a 1-year deal.

When Smith, 34, re-signed a contract extension last year, he indicated he only planned to play a few more seasons.

But Gross said there are only so many captain spots to go around.

“When the team says you’re one of the guys that we can count on the most, that’s when it will happen. And that may be when guys roll off, too,” Gross said. “So if (Newton) is not a captain, I don’t think it should be a huge story. I mean Kalil could be a captain. DeAngelo (Williams) could be a captain. Greg Olsen could be a great captain. But you kind of get tenured sometimes.”

Newton says he understands he has something to prove.

“Team captain is solely based off of your peers,” he said. “I’m going about it each and every day, trying to do my part to prove not only to my team, but first myself, that’s a big responsibility on the field and off the field.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...on-id-like-to-be-a-captain.html#storylink=cpy

I hope the 49ers defensive coordinators learn how to rotate their stars better this season. The Smith brothers are amazing, but they played so many snaps last season, they got worn down, got hurt, and it was a big reason the defense fell off in the playoffs and superbowl.

I hope the 49ers defensive coordinators learn how to rotate their stars better this season. The Smith brothers are amazing, but they played so many snaps last season, they got worn down, got hurt, and it was a big reason the defense fell off in the playoffs and superbowl.

Craig Dahl personally shut their Super Bowl window

Rorschach

Brady and Belichick, sentenced to suffer Dolphin Rape Caves. Hmmm....

lol for some reason, lately, I've been seeing a lot of "Dolphin Rape Caves" references. As far as I know, it started with King of the Hill, but recently, it's spread like wildfire. What's up with that?

Milchjon

Dwight Freeney isn't old or anything:

Dwight Freeney's journey through free agency ended earlier this month when the 33-year-old pass rusher finally signed a two-year, $8.75 million contract with the San Diego Chargers.

Freeney piled up 107.5 sacks during his 11 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, but interest in the seven-time Pro Bowl pick all but flat lined when he hit the open market in March. Freeney believes the lack of interest had little to do with his age or the perception he no longer can play.

"I basically think the owners got together and decided not to spend the cash on free agents," Freeney told Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com. "I definitely think that's part of it. I think the owners made a pact. There's only 32 of them and none of them broke ranks. I think they all decided not to spend money."

In other words, Freeney is accusing NFL owners of collusion. In days past, teams would have lined up to sign an experienced pass rusher of his ilk, he argued.

"It takes one team to start things going," Freeney said, "but what was strange was initially there was not one team."

The NFL offered no comment on the matter to Around The League, but it already has denied that collusion occurred. The NFL Players Association has expressed concern over the matter, leading executive director DeMaurice Smith to send a memo to player agents asking them to notify the union if any proof of collusion is discovered.

One unnamed agent told Freeman, "I've been in this business for several decades and there was never an offseason like this. Never."

"What you saw," Freeney said, "were guys getting small deals. I haven't seen anything like it. There was a lot of take-it-or-leave-it from teams. It was crazy. Even a guy like (Elvis) Dumervil didn't make as much money as he should have. He's in his prime."

It's a serious accusation that, for now, remains Freeney's opinion. He says he's content to be with the Chargers and plans to make 31 other teams sorry for passing on him.

"I'm going to make all of them regret it," Freeney said.

effzee

The Eagles signed 9 FAs themselves. Barwin got a really big deal. He's nuts if he thinks the owners got together a risk another billion dollar lawsuit just to pay him less.

And I wouldn't mind adding Freeny on the super cheap near the end of training camp if it just one more pass rusher on a 1 year deal.

I can't see then winning 7 either but I won't blame the refs for tonight. Indy crumbled and Miami sensed it and went for the kill. Champs don't fold that easily.

Blame the refs? LOL. Pacers have shot more free throws in each game, LeBron has fouled out, received a technical, and Wade has been in foul trouble all series. Refs have blown calls but both ways and have had nothing to do with the final decisions.

So Hakeem Nicks skipped OTA's yesterday again. His agent went out and said "we have no cmment" on why he's not there after clearly stating he's not angling for a new contract right now.

So I don't get it. Outside of just not wanting to be at the workouts since they're voluntary anyways, what's the point of the silence? He has no leverage coming off of a down year and needs to come in and have a big season to get his pay day...

So Hakeem Nicks skipped OTA's yesterday again. His agent went out and said "we have no cmment" on why he's not there after clearly stating he's not angling for a new contract right now.

So I don't get it. Outside of just not wanting to be at the workouts since they're voluntary anyways, what's the point of the silence? He has no leverage coming off of a down year and needs to come in and have a big season to get his pay day...

I dont get why people keep saying he has no leverage. He is still a big time player and if things dont work out with Cruz the Giants will be extremely thin at WR. If anything this is probably his best chance to force a contract. Once the Giants get Cruz signed they wont have to get one of them signed. Peters has stayed away from the last 2 OTA's and his agent is saying it isnt contract related but there is talk that he is upset about the Eagles getting $4m back lat year due to a clause in his contract. I cant imagine a guy skipping team workout just because, there has to be some bigger reason.

bionic77

Blame the refs? LOL. Pacers have shot more free throws in each game, LeBron has fouled out, received a technical, and Wade has been in foul trouble all series. Refs have blown calls but both ways and have had nothing to do with the final decisions.
Uh thats what I said. Though I am not as loving of the Heat as you seem to be!

Bowser

Oh Cam

His teammates sure seem enthused about him being captain one day

lol here you go again thinking Cam's teammates hate him and don't respect him. There's nothing here. He was asked the question by a reporter and answered it appropriately. What is he supposed to say? "nah, I don't want to be a captain"? Of course, it'll be a while because Gross and Smith are cornerstones of the franchise (although I firmly believe this is Gross' last year as a Panther following the contract restructure). You don't need the C on your chest to be considered a leader.

Look, don't hate Cam just because you've got noodle-armed Sam Bradford leading (one of) your team(s).

edit: http://youtu.be/OaVeMnAyVOQ

They love him bro

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000206989/Franchise-QB-Wilson-or-Newton

These guys know the deal

I dont get why people keep saying he has no leverage. He is still a big time player and if things dont work out with Cruz the Giants will be extremely thin at WR. If anything this is probably his best chance to force a contract. Once the Giants get Cruz signed they wont have to get one of them signed.
Then you don't understand how leverage works. Being a big time player is meaningless when you're under contract in 2013. If he decides to sit at home and skip training camp in the near future, he'll be fined and eventually he will lose a year towards free agency. The team can sit there and do nothing and it makes the decision on who to pay (Cruz or Nicks) THAT much easier for them. They'll give Victor his money and let Hakeem walk. They spent draft picks on Jernigan and Randle for a reason.

In what way does Hakeem have any leverage whatsoever in that situation?

Also to force a contract - you sort of have to come out and say you want one. Not sit quietly in the corner while team activities are going on. If he's displeased he could kick up a fit and try to force a trade but that's not what's happening at the moment.

Then you don't understand how leverage works. Being a big time player is meaningless when you're under contract in 2013. If he decides to sit at home and skip training camp, he'll incur heavy fines and eventually he will lose a year towards free agency. The team can sit there and do nothing while he weeps and moans and it makes the decision on who to pay (Cruz or Nicks) THAT much easier. They'll give Victor his money and let Hakeem walk. They spent draft picks on Jernigan and Randle for a reason.

Also to force a contract - you sort of have to come out and say you want one. Not sit quietly in the corner while team activities are going on.

But we dont know what the players agents are saying to the teams behind the scenes. Plyers have a lot less leverage then they used to thanks to the new CBA, so holding out in training camp doesnt work anymore. Like you said teams can fine the hell out of you, the only time you can skip team related stuff to send a message to management is now.

I don't think Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith are the best of friend, Sanchez sure has problems making friends with other Qbs. What a cancer! Tebows still a great guy, probably just want to hang with Mark smh.

But we dont know what the players agents are saying to the teams behind the scenes.
Unless Coughlin is lying for the sake of lying - he's said plainly over the past few OTA's Hakeen has had no contact with the team and he has no clue why he's not there despite being told by Hakeem that he would be there a few weeks ago.

If it were contract related and things were happening behind the scenes - Coughlin would gladly dodge the question as being a front office issue that "will work itself out" as he's done in the past.

Could he be sending a message? Sure. What's the message? I won't attend voluntary workouts but see you all in a month!

Unless Coughlin is lying for the sake of lying - he's said plainly over the past few OTA's Hakeen has had no contact with the team and he has no clue why he's not there despite being told by Hakeem that he would be there a few weeks ago.

If it were contract related and things were happening behind the scenes - Coughlin would gladly dodge the question as being a front office issue that "will work itself out" as he's done in the past.

Really odd that he would just decide to sit home, especially coming off a down year player usually try to go the extra mile to be sure to have a good season. Chip has said that the Eagles have talked to Peters, so at least they know whats up even though no once else does. Could Coughlin be twisting the truth a bit, maybe the team hasnt heard from Nicks directly but rather from his agent? Seems strange that they wouldnt just pick up the phone and ask him where he is.

The message is he wants to be in Carolina
:p
Then he might want to come in and have a big season and draw that crazy money you guys will end up paying him.

The concern with Hakeem is staying healthy, but yeah he's going to get a big pay day either from the Giants or someone else. The Giants seem open to paying him the 10m/yr as they do see him as a #1 receiver. They'll still low ball the shit out of him out of the gate though.:D

squicken

lol here you go again thinking Cam's teammates hate him and don't respect him. There's nothing here. He was asked the question by a reporter and answered it appropriately. What is he supposed to say? "nah, I don't want to be a captain"? Of course, it'll be a while because Gross and Smith are cornerstones of the franchise (although I firmly believe this is Gross' last year as a Panther following the contract restructure). You don't need the C on your chest to be considered a leader.

Look, don't hate Cam just because you've got noodle-armed Sam Bradford leading (one of) your team(s).

edit: http://youtu.be/OaVeMnAyVOQ

They love him bro

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000206989/Franchise-QB-Wilson-or-Newton

These guys know the deal

Haha. Though no coach of Bustford's has ever called him Mr Mopeyhead

Hellix

Surprised Cam ranked #46 on NFL's Top 100 Players. I was thinking he would have slid off the list entirely this year. He and Steve Smith should swap places though.

Surprised Cam ranked #46 on NFL's Top 100 Players. I was thinking he would have slid off the list entirely this year. He and Steve Smith should swap places though.

Why would he slide at all? He had a great year last year. Almost 4k yards, 27 total TDs. He wasnt the problem at all, the terrible offense they tried to run is what hurt them.

Top Bottom