• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Do I tip the guys delivering mattresses?

Ravens SB ring:

2013_Baltimore_Ravens_Super_Bowl_Ring_Picture_First_Look.jpg

It's......beautiful

I am obligated to say that

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I love that any Browns news in this thread has that adorable jetskiing dog gif. Another fantastic addition by the one true king Wes.

All the heretic BG has given us is yelling "TRENT TRUCK!". That alone has probably saved him from being beheaded for bending a knee to Jason Campbell...who now may become #3 on the depth chart.

Draxal

PC elitism is fueled by cognitive dissonance resulting from having to spend so much money and master much more technical expertise just to play games ported from a console.

"Master much more technical expertise" hasn't been true for over a decade.

Gamers still insist that building your own is the only way to go.

I built my first ever rig a few months ago with little more than a 15 minute youtube video. It's ridiculously easy to build a computer.

edit---

also, as chuckddddddddd stated, it is a really fun and rewarding experience

I know what building a PC entails, past and present. It's still more than buying a box and plugging it in.
And? Console gamer ignorance is fueled by the view that building a PC is too hard and expensive and they have to sacrifice their comfy couch experience in the process.

It's about as nonsensical a view as what you posted about PC gamers.

Can I just buy an extra long hdmi cable and act like my pc is in my entertainment center? If so, I'm in.
We're not already doing that? :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
and? Console gamer ignorance is fueled by the view that building a PC is too hard and expensive and they have to sacrifice their comfy couch experience in the process.

It's about as nonsensical a view as what you posted about PC gamers.
I said PC elitists, not PC gamers.

Draxal

I know what building a PC entails, past and present. It's still more than buying a box and plugging it in.

Right, but as Chuck stated people build more because it's funner and cheaper that way, prefab is a perfectly viable option.

I think PC elitism is fueled by more things than that. Mods are extremly important (Elder Scrolls/Fallout 3 +) are 10 times more enjoyable than on the PC due to mods; plus some genres (parodox 4x games; good mobas/rts) are just non existant on the consoles.

And this is from a guy who's gamed more on the 3Ds the last year than anything else.

Fantomex

If I'm playing Madden or Ni No Kuni, I want to play it on a console on my couch. Other stuff I don't mind playing on my PC. Built my own PC and love that thing. But my kids are the ones using it now
LLShC.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's funny because I had an error when I tried launching Metro 2033 for the first time, last night. I had to look up the problem on the internet. The solution?
Reboot.

Semi-related, I was talking to my PC elitist friend earlier and he gave me this pretty cool quote:

Took him like an hour to get fallout 3 to work on his computer, and rather than thinking "that sucks, wouldn't happen on a console" I was thinking "That makes it like your baby that you raised through the bad times, and now you're more attached than ever!" It's like a sick, twisted mindset that makes it all more fun somehow.
Even though I don't do a lot of PC gaming I can actually see where he's coming from.

I love that any Browns news in this thread has that adorable jetskiing dog gif. Another fantastic addition by the one true king Wes.

All the heretic BG has given us is yelling "TRENT TRUCK!". That alone has probably saved him from being beheaded for bending a knee to Jason Campbell...who now may become #3 on the depth chart.
Well I never! I'm like a pre fraud Scandal haslam to browns Gaf, Wes is like Randy lerner!
I'm sorry Wes please don't destroy me, remember Trent truck! That was me!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Semi-related, I was talking to my PC elitist friend earlier and he gave me this pretty cool quote:

Even though I don't do a lot of PC gaming I can actually see where he's coming from.
Your friend is describing cognitive dissonance to a T.

To be clear, I'm not hating on PC gaming or PC gamers. I just think that spending an hour fiddling with a game, program, or device driver is a legitimate entry in the minus column rather than proof of my superiority in the plus column(I never want to go back to the days of config.sys/autoexec.bat). Each platform has their pros and cons. Buy according to how they suit your needs.

Haha, true, but at least software isn't a concern.

And that's exactly my point. You don't want to believe that investment and accomplishment was unnecessary.
To a degree, yeah. Though I don't limit my own personal gaming views to only one platform. I've owned every console and handheld at one time or another since I started gaming on an Atari.

I'm about as platform agnostic as it gets.

Draxal

If I'm playing Madden or Ni No Kuni, I want to play it on a console on my couch. Other stuff I don't mind playing on my PC. Built my own PC and love that thing. But my kids are the ones using it now
LLShC.gif

I'm pretty sure HDMI outs are standard on every vid card now.

Your friend is describing cognitive dissonance to a T.

To be clear, I'm not hating on PC gaming or PC gamers. I just think that spending an hour fiddling with a game, program, or device driver is a legitimate entry in the minus column rather than proof of my superiority in the plus column(I never want to go back to the days of config.sys/autoexec.bat). Each platform has their pros and cons. Buy according to how they suit your needs.
Yeah, I think he realizes that, he was just kind of joking around. His primary reasons for sticking with PC are his love for Steam, his belief that mouse and keyboard is the best method of input for games by a large margin, and his taste in games (he likes a lot of strategy genres that are really only well represented on PC and he doesn't care for anything first or third-person unless it's a WRPG).

At the same time, I can kind of understand the serious part of the comment as well, though. With hobbies there are times when you have to do some nitty-gritty work that isn't fun in and of itself, but if the end result comes out in a way that makes you super happy then it can make the whole process feel somewhat worthwhile. And plus, I can play Fallout 3 on my 360 without much hassle but if I want to get into maximizing performance and playing with mods I have to go PC.

I don't think going through those processes makes you "superior" per se, but I do think it can be satisfying to certain people to some degree.

Sure but I think console gamers tend to have a bit of an uneducated view of PC gaming more often than not. That may be due to the fact that at one time they tried PC gaming during the config.sys/autoexec.bat days and it left them wanting for their plug and go consoles. Or they simply aren't aware of the advances PC building, driver updates and the general download and go direction the platform has enjoyed for a good long time now.

At times, I just throw my hands up in frustration when I try to explain PC gaming to my more console centric friends.

"I don't want to spend $2k on a gaming PC!"
"I don't want to have to sit at my computer table to play a game!"
"I'm not an engineer and I don't want to become one to build a PC!"

The cost of entry isn't that out of line with the cost of entry for a console ($400-600). I'll be damned if I can find a video card without an HDMI out and plugging the blue cable into the blue slot on a motherboard is something my 7 year old can do.;)

When i built a new PC like 5 years ago, It was easy as heck. I think the best way to go about it is to buy the case and motherboard and processer all good to go, and buy the other components that are easy to install cheap like the HDD, Memory, and graphics card that is so simple it literally just snaps right in to the motherboard

Sure but I think console gamers tend to have a bit of an uneducated view of PC gaming more often than not. That may be due to the fact that at one time they tried PC gaming during the config.sys/autoexec.bat days and it left them wanting for their plug and go consoles. Or they simply aren't aware of the advances PC building, driver updates and the general download and go direction the platform has enjoyed for a good long time now.

At times, I just throw my hands up in frustration when I try to explain PC gaming to my more console centric friends.

"I don't want to spend $2k on a gaming PC!"
"I don't want to have to sit at my computer table to play a game!"
"I'm not an engineer and I don't want to become one to build a PC!"

The cost of entry isn't that out of line with the cost of entry for a console ($400-600). I'll be damned if I can find a video card without an HDMI out and plugging the blue cable into the blue slot on a motherboard is something my 7 year old can do.;)

The people who bitch about PC gaming the loudest have never had to go through the headaches. They just think "PC gaming, haha i'm no rocket scientist" and go back to playing Halo.

PC gamers don't help this stigma at all by being douchy as fuck about and crying about the superiority of the medium.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To be fair, building a PC with noise in mind greatly complicates part selection and adds to the price. My current Win 7 box clocked in at $1k when I built it. I know not everyone cares about this, but such considerations exist.

The people who bitch about PC gaming the loudest have never had to go through the headaches. They just think "PC gaming, haha i'm no rocket scientist" and go back to playing Halo.

PC gamers don't help this stigma at all by being douchy as fuck about and crying about the superiority of the medium.
Yep, I don't disagree at all there.

To be fair, building a PC with noise in mind greatly complicates part selection and adds to the price. My current Win 7 box clocked in at $1k when I built it. I know not everyone cares about this, but such considerations exist.
Absolutely but I'm talking entry level more than anything else. I spent over 2k on my PC and even more than that on two video card upgrades since. That may be complete overkill for someone looking to dip their toe and doesn't know enough to even have those considerations, right?

I think the upgrade cycle is genuinely what frightens people about PC gaming more than even the "wall" they have to get over in initially building.

Fantomex

I'm pretty sure HDMI outs are standard on every vid card now.

Man I'm not a poor. I'm not getting up and connecting that thing and then mouse and keyboarding from my couch. My poor might as well play the game for me as well. Which reminds me, sometimes I tell my poor to play a game and then constantly make him die in the game on purpose just to see the look on his face. I do this when he is starting to enjoy a game i make him play.

I order you to fall in that hole poor servant!

Super-Mario-Brothers.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Absolutely but I'm talking entry level more than anything else. I spent over 2k on my PC and even more than that on two video card upgrades since. That may be complete overkill for someone looking to dip their toe and doesn't know enough to even have those considerations, right?

I think the upgrade cycle is genuinely what frightens people about PC gaming more than even the "wall" they have to get over in initially building.

It's definitely overkill if you're just shooting for 1920x1080 and 30-60 FPS.

A decent entry level PC should be able to get that level of performance pretty easily (oh and it also does everything else ever that a PC can do).

PC games are also way, way cheaper so if people are willing to get over that initial barrier of entry for a machine that literally does everything, a person can spend far less on games and on gaming in general.

I'm also pretty defensive of PC gaming because I'm not seeing a port of Europa Universalis IV being announced for consoles with a mouse accessory.

Now things might be a bit unbalanced price wise for PC gaming this year depending on what PS4 games look like so if someone was looking to choose between PC gaming and the PS4, I'd say wait just to see what happens.

Top Bottom