• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Draxal

It's definitely overkill if you're just shooting for 1920x1080 and 30-60 FPS.

A decent entry level PC should be able to get that level of performance pretty easily (oh and it also does everything else ever that a PC can do).

PC games are also way, way cheaper so if people are willing to get over that initial barrier of entry for a machine that literally does everything, a person can spend far less on games and on gaming in general.

I'm also pretty defensive of PC gaming because I'm not seeing a port of Europa Universalis IV being announced for consoles with a mouse accessory.

Now things might be a bit unbalanced price wise for PC gaming this year depending on what PS4 games look like so if someone was looking to choose between PC gaming and the PS4, I'd say wait just to see what happens.

Ya, Paradox Games (and 4X games in general) Mobas/RTS; and the freedom to mod the Bethesda games are much more responsible for my PC douchiness than anything else.

It's definitely overkill if you're just shooting for 1920x1080 and 30-60 FPS.

A decent entry level PC should be able to get that level of performance pretty easily (oh and it also does everything else ever that a PC can do).

PC games are also way, way cheaper so if people are willing to get over that initial barrier of entry for a machine that literally does everything, a person can spend far less on games and on gaming in general.

I'm also pretty defensive of PC gaming because I'm not seeing a port of Europa Universalis IV being announced for consoles with a mouse accessory.

Now things might be a bit unbalanced price wise for PC gaming this year depending on what PS4 games look like so if someone was looking to choose between PC gaming and the PS4, I'd say wait just to see what happens.

Why do people say that PC game are much cheaper? I bought ME2 and Battlefield 3 at launch on PC and I dont remember either being any less then the console versions. If you are buying game at launch, like a lot of people are, then there really isnt a huge difference between any of the platforms, right?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Why do people say that PC game are much cheaper? I bought ME2 and Battlefield 3 at launch on PC and I dont remember either being any less then the console versions. If you are buying game at launch, like a lot of people are, then there really isnt a huge difference between any of the platforms, right?

A lot of the absolutely huge games are similarly priced with consoles but I want to say that most games retail at 49.99 and I've seen numerous Steam pre-orders for 44.99.

Usually after a month or two, most of those $59.99 games drop down to below 30 or 40 bucks unless you want to play the newest Call of Duty.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Well, it obviously depends on circumstances. Generally speaking, yes, launch games are going to be full price no matter the platform. But you just mentioned two EA games and those guys aren't exactly big into deals for gamers. Other services/publishers are into increased sales. For example, I pre-purchased Infinite and paid full price, but I also got XCom and Metro 2033 at no charge.

edit - And hats. How could I forget my free hats?! Hats that can be virtually sold for real money. And if I had already owned those games, they can also be sold.

When I bought my gaming PC I bought one that was already fully assembled. I have no doubt that I could have done it myself, and for much less, but I really hate working with wires and stuff like that. When I was in grad school I actually switched to theoretical physics just because I cant stand putting stuff together or trying to figure out why some piece of electronics wont work.

I build all of my PCs. My latest one that I built cost me around $600. Lots of good deals that I found plus having a MicroCenter near me helps immensely.

I can't wait to build a PC one day. I kept putting it off and putting it off, and now with school and moving out on the horizon I don't know when I can allocate the time and money for it. Mind you, I'm not looking to build a powerhouse of a PC, but I have a ton of games bought on Steam for a pittance and nothing to play them on. This laptop is five years old this year. It hitches on frigging Max Payne 2 if I beef up its settings.

squicken

Heh, as somebody who has worked inside PCs for approaching two decades, the expression "blood, sweat, and tears" is entirely literal.

I've posted about this before, but I was a pretty committed PC who just gave up with all of the crap. And it still has issues. I can't play the Walking Dead. Some people can't run it and I'm one of those lucky souls

Also, there's a GFWL bug on Windows 8, so you have to manually install it in compatibility mode. If you don't know that, and play a GFWL game, like Batman, it won't save the game. So I lost 4 hours the other day. It also stutters on some systems b/c Nvidia and Rocksteady could never agree on who should fix it

PC gaming has come a long way, but it is miles away from consoles that "just work"

ChanHuk

Banned
Well guys I was the last person to interview and was told he's making his decision this afternoon. So hopefully I hear from HR next week.

I caved and pre-ordered tLou. I had told myself I wouldnt buy any more PS exclusives since they have given out some many with PS+, but it looks so good I dont want to wait 6 months to play it. On that note did you guys see they announced what the new yearly PS+ games are going to be, X-com, UC3, and Little Big Karting. I cant wait to try both Xcom and LBPK. PS+ has been on an insane run these last few months.

I caved and pre-ordered tLou. I had told myself I wouldnt buy any more PS exclusives since they have given out some many with PS+, but it looks so good I dont want to wait 6 months to play it. On that note did you guys see they announced what the new yearly PS+ games are going to be, X-com, UC3, and Little Big Karting. I cant wait to try both Xcom and LBPK. PS+ has been on an insane run these last few months.
XCOM is so good, you're in for a treat. My only advice is to play on ironman (every move you make is permanent).

4TUtqIP.png

Bagged milk and now pizza and spaghetti slushies!

STEP YOUR GAME UP AMERICA!

asEOIUO.gif

Why do people say that PC game are much cheaper?
I bought Remember Me on release day for $33 via GMG.

Tomb Raider, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 3 ....all of them bought for $35 or less on release day thanks to GMG or other outlets with discounted prices. Infinite was on GMG for %25 off the day of release or included all of the original Bioshock games when you bought it (can't recall which).

EA is a poor example and even then you can wait a bit and get them discounted through different outlets.

ChanHuk

Banned
If you get the job, you're buying me something this weekend Focker.

I don't have high hopes on getting the job unless Tebow somehow blesses me and himself with a new job. Paraphrasing what he said, unfortunately there's only one opening, if you're not selected I suggest you keep on applying because it took me 2 years of constant applying to get hired with Kaiser. He did say it was a good thing that I got in touch and interviewed today, maybe that shows some initiative that I really want the job.

Otherwise that hospital where your kid is gonna be born better call me back soon. Did you get a 3DS yet?

BigAT

I got Batman Arkham City day one on PC for $25.

So I picked up Castlevania Mirror of Fate on 3DS today. The Lord of Shadows 2 trailer got me all hyped up to dive back in. I've heard good things about it.

So I picked up Castlevania Mirror of Fate on 3DS today. The Lord of Shadows 2 trailer got me all hyped up to dive back in. I've heard good things about it.
I'll probably get around to picking it up once it's cheap but the lukewarm reaction surrounding the game at launch was enough to keep me from jumping in right away. It's a shame too, the GBA and DS Castlevanias are some of the best games on the systems. Anyway, if you like Mirror of Fate maybe I'll be more inclined to give it a shot sooner rather than later. I could go for some Castlevania right about now.

Also, I can't wait for LoS2, I loved the first one.

Preorder deals for $40 are pretty common in PC.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've posted about this before, but I was a pretty committed PC who just gave up with all of the crap. And it still has issues. I can't play the Walking Dead. Some people can't run it and I'm one of those lucky souls

Also, there's a GFWL bug on Windows 8, so you have to manually install it in compatibility mode. If you don't know that, and play a GFWL game, like Batman, it won't save the game. So I lost 4 hours the other day. It also stutters on some systems b/c Nvidia and Rocksteady could never agree on who should fix it

PC gaming has come a long way, but it is miles away from consoles that "just work"
PC devs have become notorious for releasing shit in a miserable condition with the expectation of patches later. Anyway, I used Linux as my primary OS for about 10 years before deciding I had enough and started using Mac as my primary computing platform.

Draxal

I bought Remember Me on release day for $33 via GMG.

Tomb Raider, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 3 ....all of them bought for $35 or less on release day thanks to GMG or other outlets with discounted prices. Infinite was on GMG for %25 off the day of release or included all of the original Bioshock games when you bought it (can't recall which).

EA is a poor example and even then you can wait a bit and get them discounted through different outlets.

Ya, and squicken's example of GWL also distorts the issue (which even Microsoft seems to be abandoning when they released AOE on Steam).

And we also live in a day where RRods also occur, consoles aren't immune to problems as I think everybody has pitched in about that topic the last couple of days.

Any of you bags of milk gonna be getting Animal Crossing?

Yes

ChanHuk

Banned
Actually I was thinking about building a PC/HTPC. I was thinking just getting a Haswell CPU/mobo and running with the onboard graphics since it seems like it can play most games at 30fps on low-medium settings. I don't notice the high/ultra settings, my eyes are slanted. A HTPC based on Haswell should be about $500.

Top Bottom