• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585731

hmm see I had initially thought 3rd party was going to use the same DRM across both platforms, but I don't see how EA can enforce something like an always on connection for the PS3. Or block used games sales

They cant block used sales, and neither will the XB1 since it is actually illegal in Europe to block used sales, but 3rd parties on PS4 will use online passes again like last gen. It is possible that they could extend the online pass to even sp only games if you are connected to the internet, so people would have to unplug their Ps4/XB1 from the internet to play them. Tretton confirmed that online passes would be back yesterday on the PS4.

What I really want more clarification on is the family share system or whatever it's called on XBO. One of my friends who is a pretty big Xbox fan is thinking you will be able to simply share all of your games with your "family members," regardless of where they live. It can't be that simple, right? That system would be so exploitable, but I have no idea how else MS is going to make it work. Have any of you guys seen any clarification on that?

I don't play WiiU games. If Miyamoto's words soothe you then fine by me.
They don't soothe me but I can't say they surprise me either. Regardless, I have to admit that Nintendo's first year with the Wii U has been pretty awful.

Milchjon

Regardless of what Nintendo's own pace is, being like 8 years behind (or even more if you include PCs) is pretty damning in a fast moving/"high tech" environment like gaming.

squicken

They cant block used sales, and neither will the XB1 since it is actually illegal in Europe to block used sales, but 3rd parties on PS4 will use online passes again like last gen. It is possible that they could extend the online pass to even sp only games if you are connected to the internet, so people would have to unplug their Ps4/XB1 from the internet to play them. Tretton confirmed that online passes would be back yesterday on the PS4.

To me, the pillars of MS' DRM are the online check every 24 hours, and the game key that authorizes the game. I would think those would be system level measures that 3rd parties couldn't impose since Sony isn't making them part of the PS3. Online passes just restrict online play. MS' codes restrict any sort of play. I don't see how 3rd parties will ever get parity unless Sony has been bald face lying the past 2 days

What I really want more clarification on is the family share system or whatever it's called on XBO. One of my friends who is a pretty big Xbox fan is thinking you will be able to simply share all of your games with your "family members," regardless of where they live. It can't be that simple, right? That system would be so exploitable, but I have no idea how else MS is going to make it work. Have any of you guys seen any clarification on that?

I know that people were able to share family XBL accounts even if they lived in different houses. My guess is you will be able to pick 9 people to be your "family" and they will be able to play games on your list as long as you are not logged in at the same time. If you are logged in then you can only share with 1 other person like you can now. Currently when you download a 360 game it is tied to both your account and the console it is downloaded on, MS has said that will continue. So I am guessing on the XB1 rather then having to download a game with my profile onto my wifes console I can just download it onto mine and have her as my share buddy and she will be able to play the same game. They have been very vague about it so who knows. It sounds like it all can change right up until the XB1 is on store shelves.

Draxal

Regardless of what Nintendo's own pace is, being like 8 years behind (or even more if you include PCs) is pretty damning in a fast moving/"high tech" environment like gaming.

Well, its an issue plaguing the industry, the games are getting more expensive to produce, but are yielding the same or less returns. There was no way Nintendo was going to be immune to that issue.

bionic77

I know that people were able to share family XBL accounts even if they lived in different houses. My guess is you will be able to pick 9 people to be your "family" and they will be able to play games on your list as long as you are not logged in at the same time. If you are logged in then you can only share with 1 other person like you can now. Currently when you download a 360 game it is tied to both your account and the console it is downloaded on, MS has said that will continue. So I am guessing on the XB1 rather then having to download a game with my profile onto my wifes console I can just download it onto mine and have her as my share buddy and she will be able to play the same game. They have been very vague about it so who knows. It sounds like it all can change right up until the XB1 is on store shelves.
It will probably be very limited. Probably designed for multiple people sharing one console and I imagine it will be limited to one at a time. They won't allow sharing of games across accounts.

eznark

Banned
It will probably be very limited. Probably designed for multiple people sharing one console and I imagine it will be limited to one at a time. They won't allow sharing of games across accounts.

It actually sounds like it will be very broad and pretty cool. I'm pumped to check it out once they get rid of the spycam.

bionic77

It actually sounds like it will be very broad and pretty cool. I'm pumped to check it out once they get rid of the spycam.
Doesn't the camera have infrared too?

You might want to start hiding those bodies in a different room than where you play Xbox!

Speaking of Kinect, has MS shown any games that make use of the new one? Is it just for voice control and to allow the government to spy on obese teenagers?

Did anyone else notice how much this year's E3 focused on the "core gamer"? There were hardly any "casual" games demonstrated, no one talked about 3D, motion controls were an afterthought, and even services outside of games were barely mentioned. I'm guessing a big part of this is the rising popularity of smartphones and tablets causing the big gaming companies to realize that E3 is no longer about the casual market (not that it really ever was to begin with), but I have to say it was pretty refreshing. It's also pretty evident in the direction of the new consoles, as they seem to be doubling down on the "core" audience this time around. Obviously they still want to appeal to a broad audience but that doesn't feel nearly as extreme a focus as it was in the past 4 or 5 E3's.

I guess allowing only one person to be playing a single copy of the game at a time would be a good way to cut down on people sharing with all their friends but it still seems a little too loose given the other restrictions in place. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

eznark

Banned

You might want to start hiding those bodies in a different room than where you play Xbox!

Speaking of Kinect, has MS shown any games that make use of the new one? Is it just for voice control and to allow the government to spy on obese teenagers?

Xbone will actually be the first console I don't get on day one in...forever? I'm out until they remove the spycam requirement. I was nervous that Sony would have the same shitty policies and maddengaf would go with Microsoft but that's been resolved.

They currently let you share 1 game across 2 accounts, and Sony lets you share 1 game across 3 accounts but retail games are excluded from sharing on PS3. I really would like to see game sharing become more embraced by both companies next gen. It is a great way to get word of mouth out about games, and it also would curtail used game sales a lot. If I can play my copy of CoD with my buddy I am way less likely to trade it in and since MS is allowing digital games to be traded in they need a hook to get people to hold onto those digital licenses.

Milchjon

Xbone will actually be the first console I don't get on day one in...forever? I'm out until they remove the spycam requirement. I was nervous that Sony would have the same shitty policies and maddengaf would go with Microsoft but that's been resolved.

Wait, you're serious about this "spycam" thing? What the hell?

There are a ton of rational to semi-rational things to dislike about the Xbone, but this?

Kinect Sports Rivals was the only Kinect game shown by MS at E3. They didnt even show any of the voice commands in games. It really was odd seeing how Kinect is such a big focus of the new console. Like Darkest said though this E3 was 100% about hardcore gamers for MS. No Kinect stuff, and no media features at all.

eznark

Banned
Wait, you're serious about this "spycam" thing? What the hell?

There are a ton of rational to semi-rational things to dislike about the Xbone, but this?

I've seen people do some pretty heinous things via backdoored webcams. I also don't care enough about videogames to put an always on webcam in my living room. Is the possibility that anything bad happens remote? Sure. Is that minute risk worth it to have a console I will never play? Nope.

Plus, when you live on a compound and are a true Tax Patriot then you don't need to make PRISM more effective.

squicken

Did anyone else notice how much this year's E3 focused on the "core gamer"? There were hardly any "casual" games demonstrated, no one talked about 3D, motion controls were an afterthought, and even services outside of games were barely mentioned. I'm guessing a big part of this is the rising popularity of smartphones and tablets causing the big gaming companies to realize that E3 is no longer about the casual market (not that it really ever was to begin with), but I have to say it was pretty refreshing. It's also pretty evident in the direction of the new consoles, as they seem to be doubling down on the "core" audience this time around. Obviously they still want to appeal to a broad audience but it doesn't feel nearly as extreme as the past 4 or 5 E3's.

Not to be glib, but getting mom and grandma to play consoles was always a passing thing that was a fad. It was one of those things where the execs who didn't play games couldn't understand something that people who play games did. It's like you say, mobile will always be where there is broad adoption of games. All my relatives with iPhones have 100s of hours on Words With Friends

It's why I also think all this iPad player as part of your crew or fire team in Destiny and the like will never work out. Syncing up logistically with someone on the go, or even getting them to engage in a game like that, seems unlikely.

Not to be glib, but getting mom and grandma to play consoles was always a passing thing that was a fad. It was one of those things where the execs who didn't play games couldn't understand something that people who play games did. It's like you say, mobile will always be where there is broad adoption of games. All my relatives with iPhones have 100s of hours on Words With Friends

It's why I also think all this iPad player as part of your crew or fire team in Destiny and the like will never work out. Syncing up logistically with someone on the go, or even getting them to engage in a game like that, seems unlikely.

I hope you are wrong about the tablet stuff because that commander stuff in Battlefield looked amazing. I cant wait to be sitting at work and push 1 button on my tablet and take out like 10 guys in a mp game. My god the rage that will come from that.

Pretty much. I'm just glad that the console gaming industry is starting to shift back more towards my interests. It's selfish but hey, I spend a lot more money on this crap than my grandparents ever will.

I hope you are wrong about the tablet stuff because that commander stuff in Battlefield looked amazing. I cant wait to be sitting at work and push 1 button on my tablet and take out like 10 guys in a mp game. My god the rage that will come from that.
Then go to the official forums and talk about how you only play BF4 on the tablet and how easy it is. "Check out my insane KDR, guys!"

Wrayfield

The second screen thing reminds me a lot of the motion controls and scales stuff from Nintendo, later MS and Sony. It seems a lot of the AAA have it, but I am skeptical as to its use. Sure, I can send commands to some buddies playing B4, or be a helicopter in a racing game. Sounds nice, but not sure it adds that much.

It has some potential that motion etc. doesn't have that I am curious about, easy example could be drawing your own plays in Madden when travelling and maybe trying them out in a game later at home. I would just like more of that stuff.

squicken

I'm sure some people will use it like you do, but I still think most on the go folks will stick to Peggle. and at home, they'd rather play the game on the console than with a controller. I'm sure it will never be mandatory, but I doubt they will ever get enough uptake for it to last, beyond stuff like character customization and auction houses

With some help from my personal Josh McDaniels aka Milchjon and the inspiration form the Tebow signing, I made a special play just for Tebow to his abilities.

tebowplayy9be0.gif

With this play the slower receivers are lined up on the inside and in the slots and the fast guys on the outside. The idea is that with Tebow his 'extreme' accuracy he just has to shoot it down the middle of the field, where all 5 receivers will be at the same time.

This way he doesn't need to work on timing, he just needs to throw it straight ahead and one of the receivers will get hit by the ball.

With some help from my personal Josh McDaniels aka Milchjon and the inspiration form the Tebow signing, I made a special play just for Tebow to his abilities.

tebowplayy9be0.gif

With this play the slower receivers are lined up on the inside and in the slots and the fast guys on the outside. The idea is that with Tebow his 'extreme' accuracy he just has to shoot it down the middle of the field, where all 5 receivers will be at the same time.

This way he doesn't need to work on timing, he just needs to throw it straight ahead and one of the receivers will get hit by the ball.
Gronk and Amendola run into each other and just explode into a million glass, STD covered fragments.

Greg

Gronk and Amendola run into each other and just explode into a million glass, STD covered fragments.
:jnc

Fantomex

Ill admit It was really funny to me when people said the kinect would spy in people's living rooms. But now that the NSA whistleblower revealed all the Big Brother tactics and actually leaked Microsoft and Verizon as companies that help the government, it's not at all far fetched now.

bionic77

Ill admit It was really funny to me when people said the kinect would spy in people's living rooms. But now that the NSA whistleblower revealed all the Big Brother tactics and actually leaked Microsoft and Verizon as companies that help the government, it's not at all far fetched now.
Xbone is going to be able to tell which of your online friends you are attracted to by measuring the IR length of your boner. Your pants can't hide your shame from the Bone!

Don't be surprised when the console is trying to set you up for a date with yankeehater at the local eateries that are close partners with MS (I imagine it will be Subway).

eznark

Banned

Do yourself a favor and don't research webcam slaves.

Milchjon

Do yourself a favor and don't research webcam slaves.

Half of the students at my university seem to have tape over their webcams.

I'll keep thinking this is paranoid until one day you'll all see my naked ass dancing to bubblegum pop on the internet.

Draxal

All this arguing just seems like semantics. PS4 is cheaper and has virtually all the same games. Why bother with XBone unless you're hard for Halo?

Depends on how much Microsoft in the future, anyway I'll wait a year or so before getting a new console.

I know disposal income and all, but I'd rather put that disposable income in a sure thing (PC).

bionic77

All this arguing just seems like semantics. PS4 is cheaper and has virtually all the same games. Why bother with XBone unless you're hard for Halo?
Not to mention better hardware based on the exact same architecture, meaning that the PS4 will get all of the superior ports.

MS employees will counter that the Bone has a better controller (probable but we really don't know since none of us have touched the 4's controller), better online system (probably true, but at the end of the day multiplayer will work on both, but I don't doubt the experience will be better on the Bone), and better exclusives (this is the weakest argument as MS usually just buys timed exclusives and those games eventually come out on everything but the WiiU, 3DS and Vita).

eznark

Banned
Except webcam slaves are not operated by the government .

What's your point? We're talking about an always online camera. Even I am willing to admit that the government doesn't have a monopoly on evil actions. You don't have to be worried about the government or even microsoft to have concerns. It's an always online camera and microphone that is required to be connected to the internet.

Depends on how much Microsoft in the future, anyway I'll wait a year or so before getting a new console.

I know disposal income and all, but I'd rather put that disposable income in a sure thing (PC).
Personally I've always thought that anyone with a half decent PC will have no reason to bother with XBOX.

ChanHuk

Banned
I have to pay someone $50 so they can proctor my online final. Having someone watch me through my webcam doing my exam is kinda creepy.

Top Bottom