• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Tamanon

Banned
From my Magic days a decade ago, most players would shit their pants if Adrian Peterson played them. But that'd just be because he's black.

They'll go 0-16.

On another note, I can't believe I used to read Peter Kings columns years ago. That dude serves no purpose. He doesn't provide breaking news, inside stories or predict anything that actually happens. I just went to glimpse his column and it's full of news and tidbits you can get anywhere else about 2 weeks ago. That dude is clownshoes. What is his role on the NBC Sunday Night Football? Just to relay what Schefter, Clayton and Glazer already discovered?

He's a national news writer. National writers almost never have up to the minute news. They have a collection of sourced, easy to read and vetted news, specifically for consumption by the layman. Not worth it when you're constantly scouring for NFL news in the eye of the offseason.

Personally, I read Peter King because he's folksy. Not all the time because a lot of the stuff he writes is old news to me, but sometimes he has anecdotes that you can't hear anywhere else. Dude is also very likable.

squicken

I guess my thing is, he does offer behind the scenes stuff. But not on a "elway to marino" level of interest. It's more like things that a beat writer can pick up. Anyhoo, dude is clownshoes. He reminds me of the dude nobody liked in school, not because he was cool, stupid or a nerd but because he had that smug mentality.

The Rams, I think, are the only NFL team with one full time beat reporter. Every other team has at least 2 media people, be it from radio, TV, or print, that cover the team full time. He's the only guy who asks questions at press conferences unless it's some big story.

So I'll take whatever Peter King can get. But otherwise, I skip whatever isn't related to my team. Especially his crap stuff on society and travel

From my Magic days a decade ago, most players would shit their pants if Adrian Peterson played them. But that'd just be because he's black.

Could you imagine the dominance?

Just look at him.

He would break the color barrier and be the Magic league MVP every year until he retired.

1362469114314_zpsafc76835.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
And I only read the KSK reading of Peter King weekly. Beyond that, he's just a blatant mouthpiece for teams and agents. Plus, too much coffee talk.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Lions will save us from a Clowney-Jets future.

My guesses are the Titans, Cardinals, Buffalo, or Tampa Bay.....maybe the Chiefs or Jaguars.

Chiefs are a stretch because Andy Reid usually wins a number of games with questionable talent. Jacksonville is a hot mess in good division although they play the Titans twice.

My guesses are the Titans, Cardinals, Buffalo, or Tampa Bay.....maybe the Chiefs or Jaguars.

Chiefs are a stretch because Andy Reid usually wins a number of games with questionable talent. Jacksonville is a hot mess in good division although they play the Titans twice.

Raiders? Oakland is definitely in the Clowney race

Fantomex

And I only read the KSK reading of Peter King weekly. Beyond that, he's just a blatant mouthpiece for teams and agents. Plus, too much coffee talk.

See that's my problem. He seems like the mouth of Sauron for the NFL. I've heard Glazer mention some team presidents have actually asked him for info or media favors and he straight denied them. Or so he says.

So basically Peter King is the Nintendo of Writers.

cdyhybrid

Titans and Cards might be legitimate threats. I see the Bills at 6-10 or so, and TB 7-9 or 8-8.

Chargers or Raiders might get in there too! Jags maybe too, since they'll be tanking the team so they can move to LA and Goodell will mail in the #1 pick for them.

BigAT

Peter King is an amazing resource for information, so long as take absolutely everything he says and assume the direct opposite is the actual truth.

squicken

The NFL business is very incestuous. The guy at the center of the Elway to Marino 30 for 30 is Marvin Demoff. He is the agent for a lot of coaches and front office execs, as well as a few media guys and players. He represents Al Michaels and Peter King, for instance.

So Marvin Demoff represents Peter King and Jeff Fisher, Demoff's son Kevin is the Rams COO and contracts/cap guy. So there's never going to be anything negative from him on the Rams. He also represents all of the Long family, so he negotiated Chris Long's extension with his son.

That's why the NFL is so slow to innovate and change. The way in is who you know, so it's all retreads. There's no reason Steve Spagnuolo should be employed beyond the towel guy at a car wash, yet there he is working for his old buddy John Harbaugh in Baltimore b/c they were on Reid's staff in Philly a long time ago

Fantomex

The NFL business is very incestuous. The guy at the center of the Elway to Marino 30 for 30 is Marvin Demoff. He is the agent for a lot of coaches and front office execs, as well as a few media guys and players. He represents Al Michaels and Peter King, for instance.

So Marvin Demoff represents Peter King and Jeff Fisher, Demoff's son Kevin is the Rams COO and contracts/cap guy. So there's never going to be anything negative from him on the Rams. He also represents all of the Long family, so he negotiated Chris Long's extension with his son.

That's why the NFL is so slow to innovate and change. The way in is who you know, so it's all retreads. There's no reason Steve Spagnuolo should be employed beyond the towel guy at a car wash, yet there he is working for his old buddy John Harbaugh in Baltimore b/c they were on Reid's staff in Philly a long time ago

Drop that knowledge squicken.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
AFC West is so bad that I think the Raiders are a dark horse.

The Cardinals are the worst team by far in a very good division. Honestly I have to say that they're the clear favorite.

squicken

AFC West is so bad that I think the Raiders are a dark horse.

The Cardinals are the worst team by far in a very good division. Honestly I have to say that they're the clear favorite.

They also have a brutal schedule. I think an NFC team has the inside track b/c the bad AFC teams get to play each other. But AZ should be okay. I think they can safely go 4-12 again

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Isn't a large percentage of coaches somehow traceable back to Bill Walsh?

It feels like football is about 95% nepotism and 5% new blood that brings innovation.

Join your wife on the dark side and become a Pats fan :D'
You do realize that if I did this the Pats would become irrelevant overnight, right?

It would be amazing if the Dolphins move. Incredibly unexpected, but amazing. Jags fans stock is rising!
You're mean.

You're just about nice enough to be a Pats fan. You'd fit right in!
Why thank you, kind sir, but I must humbly decline your offer. I don't know how all you cool overseas dudes ended up as Pats fans but it's a real shame.

Texans! Otakus, furries and we have never lost to the Dolphins.
The Texans would be pretty cool but unfortunately they're tainted by a stinky UVA QB. No thanks.

JABEE

One good thing about soccer is the worst few team are relegated and sent down into the lower leagues.

I would love to see that happen to the Jets. Then they would proceed to get their asses kicked in the CFL or Europe. There is no game they can't lose!

I would love to relegate the Patriots!

On second thought, it's better to keep the evil inside of "Pandora's Box" rather than allow the scourge to spread across the entire league.

bionic77

I would love to relegate the Patriots!

On second thought, it's better to keep the evil inside of "Pandora's Box" rather than allow the scourge to spread across the entire league.
We should relegate them to Europe.

Most of their fans seem to be there anyways so it makes sense that we just ship the whole rotten package over there so they can be closer to one another.

Bread

Banned
We should relegate them to Europe.

Most of their fans seem to be there anyways so it makes sense that we just ship the whole rotten package over there so they can be closer to one another.
poor bionic and his lack of education, new england isn't actually in europe! it's just named after a country over there.

JABEE

Isn't a large percentage of coaches somehow traceable back to Bill Walsh?

It feels like football is about 95% nepotism and 5% new blood that brings innovation.

It's like the royal family.

That's why I'm glad the Eagles have brought in an outsider to guide the ship.

Chip is the only person left in this league that knows how to innovate. A true champion of equal rights and a sworn enemy of the nepotistic practices brazenly promoted by the league today.

:kas

Top Bottom