• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

MechDX

In terms of heartbreak I would think get so close on multiple occasions would be worse then never getting close.

Thanks for kicking me in the nuts. I get a warm feeling when I see that Philly is signing all our former players. Barwin shown the green letterman jackets yet?

eznark

Banned
This is so fucking true but there is no point at all being a fan if you are not going to get emotionally invested and potentially hurt.

Do it the Packer Fan Way. They all fucking suck until they prove otherwise, and then they suck again the next day til they prove it again.

:jnc

That was my first frozen yogurt experience too. It was a weird combo like vanilla and strawberry cheesecake with nerds and sprinkles. I had no clue what I was doing.
I somehow missed the frozen yogurt boat until recently also. That stuff is amazing though, so many toppings and flavors and you can throw it all in one bowl. The best part is, since you pay by the weight, whipped cream is a super cheap topping (yes, I think about these things). Those little strawberry balls are fantastic as well.

Man, I've been involved in a lot of Freeman-like conversations lately. Maybe I should eat a light lunch today.

Do it the Packer Fan Way. They all fucking suck until they prove otherwise, and then they suck again the next day til they prove it again.
That is a good place to be. The other positive with that approach is that no criticism bothers you since you are completely skeptical about everything anyway.

Greg

this is the way

defense will be as bad as last year, Rodgers will be the most sacked again, none of the RBs will pan out, and they'll end up picking up some random guy that was cut from some other team's practice squad

can't wait

I somehow missed the frozen yogurt boat until recently also. That stuff is amazing though, so many toppings and flavors and you can throw it all in one bowl. The best part is, since you pay by the weight, whipped cream is a super cheap topping (yes, I think about these things). Those little strawberry balls are fantastic as well.

Man, I've been involved in a lot of Freeman-like conversations lately. Maybe I should eat a light lunch today.
Yeah, I was impressed - I enjoyed the setup much more than something like Cold Stone. Although I could definitely see myself getting carried away with toppings when you don't know what you have to pay until it's too late.

Because I know you guys love this kind of thing.

tumblr_mmcgbxRZuC1qhkbk8o1_500.gif

Toughest QB in the league.

Thanks for kicking me in the nuts. I get a warm feeling when I see that Philly is signing all our former players. Barwin shown the green letterman jackets yet?

No, no letterman jackets yet. Hopefully he understands that people in Philly would never support that garbage. Sorry to kick you in the nuts that wasnt my intention at all.

Once the Eagles actually win a SB I think this will be how things go. There are already a large group of fans that are down on everyone all the time. I just need to believe that they will win a SB at some point in time.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

The only thing I ever feel confident in is winning a weak division playing against garbage teams. As much as I expect our defense to suck, Man boobs to look confused 95% of the time (and throw "I wish that didn't just happen" challenge flags), and HoFinley to neither block not catch, I sleep well knowing that we have 5-6 wins already locked up.

eznark

Banned
The only thing I ever feel confident in is winning a weak division playing against garbage teams. As much as I expect our defense to suck, Man boobs to look confused 95% of the time (and throw "I wish that didn't just happen" challenge flags), and HoFinley to neither block not catch, I sleep well knowing that we have 5-6 wins already locked up.

That's true.

effzee

It is batshit insane that Andy Reid, running a professional football team in this modern era, had taco day and fast food day. What a dumb idea. Whichever one of the Eagles guys who has the insane hate for Reid may have been right all along

THATS ME!

And now we see why it was not insane hate, but rather justified especially for the past 5 seasons of madness.

Reports also came out yesterday that there would be areas he wouldn't allow reporters to stand (like the stairs or bleachers) and how one very hot day during practice when a female reporter took a knee, he sent over an Eagles security guy to tell her to stand up.

Reid was just like Chip when he came. He brought change and rejuvenated a dead franchise. But since 2006 on his message, direction, and overall coaching went downhill.

I bet he is the old Reid again in KC to start off. But if they don't win big within 5 years and he sticks around further than that, same issues will pop up.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It is batshit insane that Andy Reid, running a professional football team in this modern era, had taco day and fast food day. What a dumb idea. Whichever one of the Eagles guys who has the insane hate for Reid may have been right all along

The real question is whether or not Randy Moss would feed it to his dog!

effzee

The idea that Mike Vick is going to be put into a position to make even more fast paced decisions and in a even more precarious position in terms of ball security is probably the dumbest fucking thing in the world to me. Possessions are insanely valuable in the NFL. Chip is essentially giving a number of them away over the course of the year by expecting Vick to protect the ball in a read option situation.

I liked the idea of running that offense with Foles to give him more time in the pocket. I hate it with Vick because running will be a real option and not a pseudo-block.

Well assuming we run something similar to Oregon, if Vick starts, then the offense should be simplified no? Hand signals and one word play calls? Also the offense only works if the actual threat of the QB running is real.

Even the Redskins simplified their offense which left RG3 to only make 1-2 reads. It will be faster and Vick will have to run the offense at that pace but the actual calls should be simplified. If the play action works as well as it does for Seattle, SF, and DC, then Vick won't have to read as much.

If Vick starts, he won't have any more excuses for his play. Last years injuries and Reid sound like an excuse but they were real. Reid's stupidity was on display every week on offense, defense, and personnel moves. Now Chip is hammering home the point that whoever plays will have the offense built around them. Won't force players to do what they can't. The stubbornness is gone.

So with that kind of coaching and a healthy possibly elite OLINE if Vick still plays as shitty as he did last year he has no reason to be in the league.

Plus the expectation isn't to win anything this coming season so even if he starts with Vick but then has to make a switch, as long as their progress overall it won't be the same as last season. Chip gets to experiment this season. If season 2 is also a disaster then the honeymoon period is over.

eznark

Banned
It has nothing to do with simplifying the offense, I'm saying it's foolish because you keep the ball in Vick's hands longer and in more precarious situations. The decision making I am talking about is give/keep not complex downfield reads.

effzee

Felix Jones?

Hmm don't know how to feel about this. We obviously needed depth at the RB position because the running game will be a huge part of our overall attack now but Jones? His health and dependability worries me. But if he is averaging 5-7 carries as a compliment to Brown and McCoy, he could be a good weapon.

Cowboys fans what is the word on him? Good guy? Locker room cancer?

effzee

It has nothing to do with simplifying the offense, I'm saying it's foolish because you keep the ball in Vick's hands longer and in more precarious situations. The decision making I am talking about is give/keep not complex downfield reads.

That's true. But if he proves himself from now to opening week, just have to hold our breath and hope he doesn't turn it over. Have to believe Chip when he says its open competition and best QB will get the job. So if Vick doesn't show the ability to do this, then Foles or Barkley better be starting.

squicken

Felix Jones?

Hmm don't know how to feel about this. We obviously needed depth at the RB position because the running game will be a huge part of our overall attack now but Jones? His health and dependability worries me. But if he is averaging 5-7 carries as a compliment to Brown and McCoy, he could be a good weapon.

Cowboys fans what is the word on him? Good guy? Locker room cancer?

Ed Werder mentioned a few days ago the Felix constantly failed conditioning tests in Dallas, which made Philly and Chip an odd fit. Of course there were never consequences in Dallas since the Jerry took him so high

That's true. But if he proves himself from now to opening week, just have to hold our breath and hope he doesn't turn it over. Have to believe Chip when he says its open competition and best QB will get the job. So if Vick doesn't show the ability to do this, then Foles or Barkley better be starting.

I am really starting to think they should just go with Barkley day 1. Look at how much RGIII, Wilson, and Luck grew last year. If Chip really believes Barkley can be the guy to win a SB at some point then I would rather they get him all the experience they can this year. I dont think either Vick or Foles are long term answers, so it almost seems like wasting time letting either of them play. I understand wanting to start the best guy today, but you also have to think somewhat long term.

Cruz update:

Lenn Robbins @LennRobbins 24m

Victor Cruz at BTIG tells The Post things are moving on his contract negotiations with the Giants @BTIGCharityDay

Bart Hubbuch þ@HubbuchNYP 3m Lots of buzz swirling that this could be a big day in the Victor Cruz negotiations, Giants fans.

Pat Traina posted this earlier as well:

@Patricia_Trainia Some Victor Cruz News. A little birdie, who is at an ESPN event where Victor Curz is appearing said that Cruz is "getting close" on getting his deal done and that "he is ready."..

I'd expect something by the end of the week if not sooner. OTA's start for the Giants on May 22nd with the first real live practices so the timing makes sense.

EDIT: ...or not?

Mike Garafolo þ@MikeGarafolo 28s FYI - talks are ongoing but status quo on the Cruz front. Nothing imminent. Per someone kept abreast of such things.

Hunter S.

The Brady gif makes me happy too! Because the Pats crused the Broncos harder than Dumberville crushed Brady :D!

Also, anybody have the 'Why you shouldn't read comments' twitter link? It got posted here a couple of weeks ago by 'Giants fan with Rutgers/Patriots avatar'.
Elvis tried to do good that day. Sometimes evil triumphs over good, and I must accept it. I am kind of pissed the Patriots get two home games against the Broncos in two seasons. That is some weak sauce.

Urlacher pondering the Vikings or Broncos as his landing spot.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2009...-arena-not-good-news-for-reinsdorf-wirtz.html

Sneed hears that former Chicago Bear Brian Urlacher, whose stellar, longtime career with the Bears began with a growl and ended with a whimper, is getting close to finding a new pigskin playground.

Sneed is told that Urlacher, whose decision to leave the Bears followed their offer of a $1.6 million renewal contract, has been talking to the Minnesota Vikings and the Denver Broncos. “It’s getting close to happening, but Brian is leaning toward heading to Minnesota and is talking a one to two year contract,” said a source close to Urlacher.

squicken

I thought ESPN The Magazine was shuttered like a decade ago. Is it any good? Worth checking out?

It comes "free" with an Insider membership. I've been getting it for 2 years and can honestly say I've never opened it. It goes right in the trash. I hate it b/c it's an oversized POS that jams up my mailbox

It comes "free" with an Insider membership. I've been getting it for 2 years and can honestly say I've never opened it. It goes right in the trash. I hate it b/c it's an oversized POS that jams up my mailbox

Yeah I had a free subscription at one point and I couldnt stand the way things in it are laid out. They need to fire the entire magazine division and start over again. You would think with all the rights and access ESPN has they could put something worth reading together.

effzee

I am really starting to think they should just go with Barkley day 1. Look at how much RGIII, Wilson, and Luck grew last year. If Chip really believes Barkley can be the guy to win a SB at some point then I would rather they get him all the experience they can this year. I dont think either Vick or Foles are long term answers, so it almost seems like wasting time letting either of them play. I understand wanting to start the best guy today, but you also have to think somewhat long term.

Well the problem is we don't know what Chip really thinks about him as of now. He was picked because he was in their top 50 and the only remaining player in their top 50 still on the board. If he was picked as their #1 guy I'd agree but right now he seems like a project who if he really impresses could play right away but doesn't have to.

Well the problem is we don't know what Chip really thinks about him as of now. He was picked because he was in their top 50 and the only remaining player in their top 50 still on the board. If he was picked as their #1 guy I'd agree but right now he seems like a project who if he really impresses could play right away but doesn't have to.

I just hate they they could possibly waste a year or 2 while they try to come up with a QB. I really wish they could have gotten EJ.

bionic77

One thing I don't get about someone like Vick is how can he be in the league for like 10 years and not be able to recognize and react to the blitz? He just seems like a sitting duck once defenses start to blitz, but most qb's feast and beast on it.

Is it harder than I am making it out to be? I mean at least on tv it is obvious 95% of the time where the pressure is coming from. Peyton makes it look easy. Look at the defense pre-snap and then loudly identify to your line where you think the blitz is coming from (I believe Peyton uses the term "scary black guy" when IDing the blitz) and then it is on your receivers to notice the same thing and make the adjustment to the route (also seems like an easy thing to do that they must have practiced a million times). Qb usually throws in the direction of the blitz and where the extra pressure is coming and kills the defense.

It is more complicated than that?

One thing I don't get about someone like Vick is how can he be in the league for like 10 years and not be able to recognize and react to the blitz? He just seems like a sitting duck once defenses start to blitz, but most qb's feast and beast on it.

Is it harder than I am making it out to be? I mean at least on tv it is obvious 95% of the time where the pressure is coming from. Peyton makes it look easy. Look at the defense pre-snap and then loudly identify to your line where you think the blitz is coming from (I believe Peyton uses the term "scary black guy" when IDing the blitz) and then it is on your receivers to notice the same thing and make the adjustment to the route (also seems like an easy thing to do that they must have practiced a million times). Qb usually throws in the direction of the blitz and where the extra pressure is coming and kills the defense.

No I dont think it is. The problem with Vick and the Eagles was they didnt want to throw a 5 yard hot read. Even when teams where blitzing they still felt like Vick could make the 1st guy miss and then he could hit DJax or Maclin deep. Go back to the comeback against the Giants, Vick killed them every time they tried to blitz, but for some reason after that game he just stopped being able to make the first guy miss. He got hit a lot more, which lead to more turnovers and also made him want to get rid of the ball quicker which caused more poor throws. The offense stopped scoring as much and tat exposed the terrible defense.

Well, if the defense is committing to that blitz, no. However, teams love to disguise coverages, show blitz when they have no intention of doing so and other tricks that can make it difficult for a QB to "read" what the intention of the defense is. A good QB like a Peyton manning has seen it all and can read most anything pre-snap and audible to something he likes as a counter. Lesser/younger QB's are easily fooled by some of the adjustments/alignments defenses move in and out of.

In the case of Vick, at times he's just blind and doesn't see it. The Cardinals game and the safety blitz at the goal line is a great example. You just can't NOT see that! For fucks sake, slide your protection over to pick that up!

The problem with Vick and the Eagles was they didnt want to throw a 5 yard hot read.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPAxiv1SKU

He doesn't even look in the direction of the blitz. Completely oblivious to the fact that it's happening. Not once in that play did he look at that side of the field as he lined up! He's completely locked on Jackson (who looks to be running a simple slant to the inside). Not once. Fucking McCoy is even sitting there primarily to pass protect! Might want to tell him there's a blitz coming.

There's plenty of that on film from last season.

bionic77

Well, if the defense is committing to that blitz, no. However, teams love to disguise coverages, show blitz when they have no intention of doing so and other tricks that can make it difficult for a QB to "read" what the intention of the defense is. A good QB like a Peyton manning has seen it all and can read most anything pre-snap and audible to something he likes as a counter. Lesser/younger QB's are easily fooled by some of the adjustments/alignments defenses move in and out of.

In the case of Vick, at times he's just blind and doesn't see it. The Cardinals game and the safety blitz at the goal line is a great example. You just can't NOT see that! For fucks sake, slide your protection over to pick that up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPAxiv1SKU

He doesn't even look in the direction of the blitz. Completely oblivious to the fact that it's happening. There's plenty of that on film last season.
I mean even a guy like Peyton can get fooled by a clever blitz that he does not seem coming, but for the most part it doesn't seem like rocket science.

Then again, they make it seem like learning a 5 step drop and play action coming out of college for certain qb's is the most complicated thing ever. To me it seems like you should be able to pick up and master that in a few weeks, but coaches act like it is a big deal so who the fuck knows.

Top Bottom