• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

cdyhybrid

Welp, the Daft Punk thread has been taken over by wannabe-Bucketheads arguing about subjective things.

It was good while it lasted.

squicken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPAxiv1SKU

He doesn't even look in the direction of the blitz. Completely oblivious to the fact that it's happening. Not once in that play did he look at that side of the field as he lined up! He's completely locked on Jackson (who looks to be running a simple slant to the inside). Not once. Fucking McCoy is even sitting there primarily to pass protect! Might want to tell him there's a blitz coming.

There's plenty of that on film from last season.

Not to defend Vick, but Horton's blitzes even got Brady a few times last year. I don't know how he does it, but he gets a LB coming free right up the middle once or twice a game. At least he did in AZ. We'll see in CLE.

Not to defend Vick, but Horton's blitzes even got Brady a few times last year. I don't know how he does it, but he gets a LB coming free right up the middle once or twice a game. At least he did in AZ. We'll see in CLE.
Maybe that's true for the other hundreds of defensive plays he put on the field but that's not some disguised, all world beater designed blitz. It's well timed and I'll give you that but gimme a break. Any QB worth their ass gets up from center and calls out that protection change when Rhodes creeps up the line. Vick is completely and hopelessly locked into DeSean Jackson on that inside slant. He doesn't give a fuck about anything else happening on the field. Once the Cards take that away, he's lost.

eznark

Banned

He doesn't really disguise them though. He just extra bodies a gap. The reason it gets guys like Brady and Rodgers (who have quick releases and a good repoire with their receivers) is that it's too good of an opportunity at a gash to pass up. When you stack the gap with three guys the QB knows that there will be hot routes with nothing across the middle to tackle them. It's a gamble. If you go back and look at a lot of those Horton defenses it's generally not about deception, it's about daring.

I think part of the problem with the Eagles is Reid wouldnt let either Mcnabb or Vick call audibles. They would all them in from the sideline which is why there would be so many delay of game penalties throughout the season. Vick clearly should be scanning the line before the play though.

squicken

Albert Breer column on Eagles

http://t.co/HAWXRFDYK8

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
1) Matt Barkley made his share of rookie mistakes. But when he had where he was going right, he showed fantastic accuracy. That's big b/c...

2) An overlooked key to QB in Kelly's no-huddle is consistency. Gotta avoid 3-and-outs, or the D will get killed. Chain-moving is big.

3) So Barkley's strong suit, his accuracy/consistency/head, is big. Still, you could see a sizable gap in arm strength b/w he and Vick. ...

Maybe that's true for the other hundreds of defensive plays he put on the field but that's not some disguised, all world beater designed blitz. It's well timed and I'll give you that but gimme a break. Any QB worth their ass gets up from center and calls out that protection change when Rhodes creeps up the line. Vick is completely and hopelessly locked into DeSean Jackson on that inside slant. He doesn't give a fuck about anything else happening on the field. Once the Cards take that away, he's lost.

Not defending him at all. His fumbles and sacks speak to his lack of awareness. Andy Dalton has a similar problem

I just really like Ray Horton and am glad he is out of the NFCW and Bowles is in.

He doesn't really disguise them though. He just extra bodies a gap. The reason it gets guys like Brady and Rodgers (who have quick releases and a good repoire with their receivers) is that it's too good of an opportunity at a gash to pass up. When you stack the gap with three guys the QB knows that there will be hot routes with nothing across the middle to tackle them. It's a gamble. If you go back and look at a lot of those Horton defenses it's generally not about deception, it's about daring.

Good point. It helps that Washington is so good at timing his blitz. They did give up big plays, but overall they were still very good

eznark

Banned
Good point. It helps that Washington is so good at timing his blitz. They did give up big plays, but overall they were still very good

It looked to me like they also had some triggers for adjusting to those types of blitzes depending on personnel packages which reduce the ability for the QB to blitz out of, again sort of playing to the hubris of the offense.

squicken

It looked to me like they also had some triggers for adjusting to those types of blitzes depending on personnel packages which reduce the ability for the QB to blitz out of, again sort of playing to the hubris of the offense.

An odd thing about them is that they got gashed by two of the most big-played starved teams in the league: STL and MIA. Probably a case where Horton would have been better served sitting back and making them make plays. FMT and I make fun of Peterson not being a shutdown CB, but it's true. They left him on an island constantly and paid for it often

Tabris

Tebow was given the choice to go home and play. He chose to go to NY and show the world who Sanchez and Rex really were. Elway was given the mission from God, it was imbued upon Tebow, and Tebow as a warrior god executed the mission. It's simple day to day stuff really.

You are a fool if to think that Tebow being in Denver wasn't simply a mission. Tebow was recruited by McDaniels, when McD was breaking free from the darkness that is NE. McD thought that Tebow could purge him completely of the darkness and evil, but the cheating ways of McD and the remote power control of BB defeated McDaniels. He got caught cheating and was fired. He then had to go to the Rams in order to prove to BB, that he would do whatever it took to nestle back to his bosom.

Meanwhile, back in Denver, Tebow had to purge McD's evil leftovers in the form of Orton. He handily did so, and lead the team to the playoffs. Since Elway is a good friend of Tebow's dad, he blessed us with a win over the rapist in order to mount a surprise attack at the heart of darkness. Darkness and evil knew of the plan, and were prepared. They conjured up the most evil of all magic 'The Female QB punt'.

When this magic was executed, it severely weakened Tebow. It corrupted the mind of Elvis Dumervil, it even fooled Andy Reid into thinking there was free fried chicken in the AFC West.

All was not lost though. Elway then sent Tebow on a slightly less challenging mission, in order to grow and recharge his strength. In the meantime, a paladin who had fallen in battle long ago, was finally mended. He out grew his old training ground, and had moved on to give room for a new warrior of light to train in Indy. He and Elway have united to mount an attack to the heart of darkness, and restore the trophy to it's former glory.

In order to bring this trophy back to the closest city to heaven in the NFL, Peyton had to sacrifice a playoff game in the first round in order to appease the three horde demons known as 'Brow Beast', 'Yukmouth Beast', and 'Antler Beast'. Now that this sacrifice has been made, we have a clear path to bring the light back to the NFL.

So if you knew your lore, you wouldn't say Tebow gives us the best chance. He was simply part of the prophecy!

This was beautiful.

bionic77

This has always been Ben's problem. He has always been able to get the ball out quick for the sure 4 yard play but he always wants to gamble on the big bomb. And he can't help himself on the blitz sometimes either. But then again some of his gambles have paid off huge as well.

mr2xxx

Banned
Welp, the Daft Punk thread has been taken over by wannabe-Bucketheads arguing about subjective things.

It was good while it lasted.

Seems to be a great album, gotta check it out. Is "The Get Lucky" single indicative of the album style or is it allover the place?

effzee

Well, if the defense is committing to that blitz, no. However, teams love to disguise coverages, show blitz when they have no intention of doing so and other tricks that can make it difficult for a QB to "read" what the intention of the defense is. A good QB like a Peyton manning has seen it all and can read most anything pre-snap and audible to something he likes as a counter. Lesser/younger QB's are easily fooled by some of the adjustments/alignments defenses move in and out of.

In the case of Vick, at times he's just blind and doesn't see it. The Cardinals game and the safety blitz at the goal line is a great example. You just can't NOT see that! For fucks sake, slide your protection over to pick that up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPAxiv1SKU

He doesn't even look in the direction of the blitz. Completely oblivious to the fact that it's happening. Not once in that play did he look at that side of the field as he lined up! He's completely locked on Jackson (who looks to be running a simple slant to the inside). Not once. Fucking McCoy is even sitting there primarily to pass protect! Might want to tell him there's a blitz coming.

There's plenty of that on film from last season.

Firs of all yes Vick isn't good against the blitz. Recognition and then reaction is still something he is struggling with. I look at guys like Warner and how they actually wished for the blitz so they could pick the D apart. Vick is only effective against the blitz if he beats the initial guy and then takes off around the corner. Which he did plenty of in 2010 until I think it was drilled into his head that for his own protection stay in the pocket. Which actually works against him at least for protection reasons.

The other problem, and its been a problem since McNabb days, is Reid's offense. Redzone? PASS! 3rd and 2? PASS DEEP! Oh and don't you audible! Supreme offensive genius knows best so its not the play or scheme ever in question!

More than once opposing CBs have commented on how predictable the WRs routes are. Deep 15 yard come backs, curls, or go routes. All routes which require time to develop. When Vick had decent protection he moved the ball pretty well between the 20s.

In fact how crappy their scoring offense was, they still moved the ball. Its just when you get into the redzone, the lack of a running game, poor blitz pick up/recognition, and injuries on the line really made things worse. But Eagles redzone offense has stunk since McNabb's last 2 seasons.

Reid/MM never solved it and only doubled down on their philosophy. Vick, when he had free reign to break plays and just run around, solved it momentarily but when he tried real hard to be a pocket passer his inability to get the ball out quickly only led to more hits, fumbles, and injuries.

I just hate they they could possibly waste a year or 2 while they try to come up with a QB. I really wish they could have gotten EJ.

But again, I don't think they liked any of the QBs in this year's draft enough to select them early as the QB of the future.

They were more than ready to go in this year with Foles and Vick.

And fucking McCoy. I love the guy but he is making it really hard to cheer for him when he keeps getting into trouble with women. Grow the fuck up already.

Fantomex

What I like about RAM is that it provided me with a bit more goodness from the Tron Legacy soundtrack with Contact. That's like my jam to go work out now.

bionic77

Does mccarthy even give a fuck about running the ball?

He seems like a slightly skinnier version of Andy Reid. He just wants to throw it on every down.

Real talk Packers GAF. Which coach is worse between Tomlin and McCarthy? I am not asking if either is good, because they both suck balls IMHO. I am also not asking which one is more attractive because we all know your coach is a fat blob of ugly while Tomlin makes up for his lack of intelligence with charisma and by being the best looking NFL coach in NFL history.

eznark

Banned
Nothing wrong with McCarthy in my book. Dumb challenges are his worst flaw but when that is a complaint you know things are pretty well fine.

Still no notice after my interview. Its only been a couple days though (Friday).

Nerve wracking.

I wonder if the new Viking Stadium will have a 30 foot tall Peterson statue.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Starks is gone. Green will be fine and he knows it.

If nothing else Green is safe because his dead money is $250k this year and Starks is only $25k. Not really huge amounts but probably something they consider. This is also the last year for Starks under his contract so he's out sooner or later. Green is gone after this next season unless he blows up. So is Kuhn.

bionic77

Nothing wrong with McCarthy in my book. Dumb challenges are his worst flaw but when that is a complaint you know things are pretty well fine.
Your defense has sucked dick in the past two years. And when slanging isn't working I don't see a plan B on offense.

I wish my biggest complaint with Tomlin was challenges. But honestly unless you are winning we will find a way to make a coach look retarded. The one exception is Tomlin's insistence on trying to kick 50 yard field goals at Heinz (it is impossible). We seem to lose one game a year by that bullshit. Someone needs to tell him that you are allowed to punt on the other side of the field!

jakncoke

Banned
e8RAV2l.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

He seems like a slightly skinnier version of Andy Reid. He just wants to throw it on every down.

Real talk Packers GAF. Which coach is worse between Tomlin and McCarthy? I am not asking if either is good, because they both suck balls IMHO. I am also not asking which one is more attractive because we all know your coach is a fat blob of ugly while Tomlin makes up for his lack of intelligence with charisma and by being the best looking NFL coach in NFL history.

McCarthy gives Rodgers a whole lot of say in our offense. You can tell just based on how Rodgers plays the game versus one of Reid's QBs. Rodgers has full control over timeouts and is always free to audible. Obviously McCarthy has the most control but you have to know that Rodgers has a lot of input.

Green Bay doesn't run the ball because we suck at it. If we had Lesean McCoy, he'd get used unlike Reid's system.

bionic77

McCarthy gives Rodgers a whole lot of say in our offense. You can tell just based on how Rodgers plays the game versus one of Reid's QBs. Rodgers has full control over timeouts and is always free to audible. Obviously McCarthy has the most control but you have to know that Rodgers has a lot of input.

Green Bay doesn't run the ball because we suck at it. If we had Lesean McCoy, he'd get used unlike Reid's system.
Has McCarthy ever been able to run the ball regardless of running back?

I also wonder how much McCoy would get used in GB. I really wonder if McCarthy believes in a running game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I also wonder how much McCoy would get used in GB. I really wonder if McCarthy believes in a running game.

We ran the ball pretty well in 2008 and 2009 with Ryan Grant. Grant looked like he was going to have another great season when he got injured in the first game of 2010. So I wouldn't say he's completely adverse to it.

Greg

I like McCarthy - I always thought it seemed like he went out of his way to stay balanced. I'd say he's doing pretty well considering Rodgers is the QB, they've been stacked at WR, and they haven't had a consistent back.

How is Tomlin from Monday-Saturday? I always trust McCarthy to have a good game plan on offense (capers runs the D so that's on him) and to have the team ready to play.

McCarthy's usually dumber than a box of rocks on gameday, but I still consider him a pretty good coach for what he does in preparation.

bionic77

How is Tomlin from Monday-Saturday? I always trust McCarthy to have a good game plan on offense (capers runs the D so that's on him) and to have the team ready to play.

McCarthy's usually dumber than a box of rocks on gameday, but I still consider him a pretty good coach for what he does in preparation.
i will give Tomlin credit for Monday to Saturday as well with the exception of his handling of injuries and veterans. Too often we will give too much playing time to a gimp when the shit below him isn't any good but is at least healthy. And often it just leads to a worse injury. This is not just Tomlin, most coaches and fans don't see these players as humans. They are used up until they break.

Tomlin also can't make any adjustments on gameday.

The true test for Tomlin is going to come in the next 3 years when he has to rebuild this team. Cowher was a fucking champ and rebuilt the team several times. Tomlin got a group of all pros when he was hired. Now we will see how he is at coaching guys up.

eznark

Banned

Hope not. His goal with the running game is not to be effective but to open up holes in the passing game. When you have the worst quarterback in football you don't want to take the ball out of his hands and hand it to some asshole who will fall forward 3.2 yards.

Starks is gone because he can't stay healthy, it has nothing to do with a couple hundred g's.

Your defense has sucked dick in the past two years. And when slanging isn't working I don't see a plan B on offense.
When have they ever needed a plan B? Like, twice in regular season games and any game against the Giants. That's it.

McCarthy has nothing to do with the defense.

JABEE

Shady's Publicist via Jeff McClane

Statement from McCoy camp: “The allegations against LeSean McCoy are completely, unequivocally false. There are no criminal charges pending and no probable cause was ever found. This is sadly an attempt to extract money and LeSean will vigorously defend any attempt to collect money through a personal injury claim." (END)

Hope not.
I hope so.

The Packers' primary method of attack is and always should be the pass game but they've become predictable and one-dimensional.

People like to say how they won a Super Bowl without the run game which is not true at all.
They barely escaped Philadelphia with a win but did so thanks to Starks chewing a bit of clock and Desmond Bishop playing QB Spy.
At times, they barely escaped with wins, just like they barely snuck into the playoffs.

The Patriots pass-to-run and the Saints have 3 RBs that help open up the passing game for their terrible WRs and basketball playing TE.

I'd love to see some 2RB sets where the backs can actually do something. Defenses would have to play them differently opening up the traditional pass game but also opening up the RBs out of the backfield.
Depleting defenses to the secondary while having a competent attack up front will be murder for the Packers' opponents and make Aaron like a kid in a candy store.

It's funny you point out the Giants game where McCarthy was so obviously incompetent and in over his head, Vince Lombardi could hear it back in 1956.
You didn't mention the 49ers game either where, despite the run working, he went away from it. If anything could help a winded defense, it'd be a little breather, and it's not like the pass game was lighting it up anyway.

Point being, in two games that mattered, McCarthy's gameplan was criminally negligent and the Packers got blown out of the fucking water.

You can have all the 15-1 and 11-5 seasons you want but it's playoff success that matters. It's what got Sherman shitcanned and McCarthy will be next unless he finds someone to do his gameplanning for him.

Top Bottom