• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
In the new tradition of awful Super Bowl teams, that 2010 Packers team wasn't really any better than the 2011 or 2012 teams. It definitely took a lot of luck and awful decision making by the opposing teams we played. Then Jay Cutler displayed his Green Bay fandom so hard he refused to play us!

In the new tradition of awful Super Bowl teams, that 2010 Packers team wasn't really any better than the 2011 or 2012 teams.
Defensively I'd disagree. Especially in the playoffs. You're secondary was a far different animal when you had Nick Collins playing. Charles Woodson was still useful coming off of his DPOY award. Not to mention Tramon Williams that year was at a different level and hasn't been the same since with injuries and just downright poor play. Raji hasn't been the same since in the games I've seen from him either but I remember him being pretty stout in that 2010 defense alongside Cullen Jenkins.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Defensively I'd disagree. Especially in the playoffs. You're secondary was a far different animal when you had Nick Collins playing. Charles Woodson was still useful coming off of his DPOY award. Not to mention Tramon Williams that year was at a different level and hasn't been the same since with injuries and just downright poor play. Raji hasn't been the same since in the games I've seen from him either but I remember him being pretty stout in that 2010 defense alongside Cullen Jenkins.

Our defense has definitely regressed but conversely the offense got better.

Nick Collins :(. Yeah that's an issue. Still, I'd say the 1996 Packers were loads better than the 2010 version.

Edit: I honestly have no idea what point I'm trying to make other than that 2010 team didn't feel that good and I had a lot of issues with the 2011 and 2012 teams.

I still wonder how 2011 would've turned out if Philbin's son hadn't died and last year if they had gotten the bye.

Even if we had Collins though, no pressure from the D-Line spells trouble.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I still wonder how 2011 would've turned out if Philbin's son hadn't died and last year if they had gotten the bye.

Even if we had Collins though, no pressure from the D-Line spells trouble.

2011 actually felt like our year unlike 2010. We had problems on D but we got cold late in the season just like the "regular season winners" do every season. I think the Falcons wrote the book on the late season/playoff collapse.

In the new tradition of awful Super Bowl teams, that 2010 Packers team wasn't really any better than the 2011 or 2012 teams. It definitely took a lot of luck and awful decision making by the opposing teams we played. Then Jay Cutler displayed his Green Bay fandom so hard he refused to play us!
2010 had a legit top 3 defense in the NFL (Steelers, Bears). They were way better than 11/12. Just were hurt all year and didn't show it until the end.

2011 actually felt like our year unlike 2010. We had problems on D but we got cold late in the season just like the "regular season winners" do every season. I think the Falcons wrote the book on the late season/playoff collapse.

kap would have obliterated you in the divisional whether it was in GB or in SF

2010 had a legit top 3 defense in the NFL (Steelers, Bears). They were way better than 11/12. Just were hurt all year and didn't show it until the end.
Were they? I don't know.

They got a lot of turnovers but meh. I think they just had Aaron Rodgers and played sub-par QBs in the NFC for the stretch.
Taking the Giants to the shed was a bit of an anomaly.

Getting a rested Pickett and Jenkins for the playoff run seemed to make a huge difference.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Yeah except I can't explain the losses to the Skins and Dolphins that season. And we only won 10 games and backed our way into the playoffs on the foot of Matt Dodge and Wellington's laptop.

ChanHuk

Banned
medical staff?

That wasn't a woman but thank you for using the Heimlich maneuver dislodging that taco from Josh Freeman's throat.

Medical staff, I don't want to say neglected a patient, but they sorta did. A woman stopped breathing, she happened to be the patient that I was supposed to be transporting. She stopped breathing; so bagged her until my partner grabbed a doc so they could intubate and put her on a vent.

Godslay

Banned
iUgqLqaYDACFZ.jpg

ib0mJiHhBBHdu3.jpg

Can't believe they based Te'o off of Wakka...

Yeah except I can't explain the losses to the Skins and Dolphins that season. And we only won 10 games and backed our way into the playoffs on the foot of Matt Dodge and Wellington's laptop.
We were a mediocre 3-3 team that went 7-3 to finish the year (0-2 without our starting QB, 7-1 with).

The D was the strength all year, I think they finished 2nd in points allowed -- and it's not like we were playing ball control to prop that up. The offense was inconsistent but still good (this is the explanation for the Skins/Dolphins games, they only put up like 13 points those weeks), and the special teams were unforgettable. lybad.

Were they? I don't know.

They got a lot of turnovers but meh. I think they just had Aaron Rodgers and played sub-par QBs in the NFC for the stretch.
Taking the Giants to the shed was a bit of an anomaly.

Getting a rested Pickett and Jenkins for the playoff run seemed to make a huge difference.
I think you're conflating '09, which was a statistically good defense with no CB depth that got completely demolished by good QBs, with '10, which was a great defense despite a myriad of injuries. The Giants game was not an anomaly, we did it to Ben in the first half of the SB before half the secondary got injured.

Jenkins + Clay + Pickett (pre-old) + Raji (on limited snaps!) + Bishop + elite Tramon + Woodson (pre-old) + Nick Collins. It's a fairly straightforward equation when you have that many good players on one side of the ball, and Shields coming out of nowhere to play nickel (and Tramon's emergence as a legit #1 corner) meant we didn't have the obvious weak link we had the year before.

And the year after without Jenkins (no pass rush) and Collins (no safety net).

edit: Forgot about this initially, but the simple stat about the '10 Pack is that they never trailed by more than 7. To anyone. All year. That's pretty rare.

Godslay

Banned
Sounds like Woodson not coming to Denver would be an upset? I've been running around like a goddamn chicken with my head cut off today, and missed the news. He's old as shit, but as long as he is cheap and productive then why not?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sounds like Woodson not coming to Denver would be an upset? I've been running around like a goddamn chicken with my head cut off today, and missed the news. He's old as shit, but as long as he is cheap and productive then why not?

He's great against the run and as a safety blitz. Not sure if you really want him in a lot of coverage though.

i will give Tomlin credit for Monday to Saturday as well with the exception of his handling of injuries and veterans. Too often we will give too much playing time to a gimp when the shit below him isn't any good but is at least healthy. And often it just leads to a worse injury. This is not just Tomlin, most coaches and fans don't see these players as humans. They are used up until they break.

Tomlin also can't make any adjustments on gameday.

The true test for Tomlin is going to come in the next 3 years when he has to rebuild this team. Cowher was a fucking champ and rebuilt the team several times. Tomlin got a group of all pros when he was hired. Now we will see how he is at coaching guys up.

We are looking through rose colored glasses with Cowher.

Cowher was great at building a trench team, but sucked at skill positions. The 95' Super Bowl loss was the epitome of this. The Roethlisberger draft Cowher wanted to go linebacker - it was the Rooney's that said it was time for a franchise QB.

One thing Tomlin has proven is that he has an eye for skill receivers. Steelers offense has improved markedly with him here. Jury is still out on defense, though the team is silently halfway through their rebuild and would have been farther along were it not for Spence's freak injury.

Who's your strong safety? Charles Woodson's best asset is his head - doubt his body can keep up.

Wasn't 2008 pretty similar? Such an awful and heartbreaking season :(
Kinda, we lost a lot of close games in '08. But we also got completely clowned by New Orleans and ... Dallas, maybe? I mean, 20+ point beatdown level ownage.

Who's your strong safety? Charles Woodson's best asset is his head - doubt his body can keep up.
Yeah, durability is your main concern. I can't see him making it through the full season, your best bet if you sign him is that he'll get hurt early so he can be back for the playoffs.

You should watch some of the guys' workouts. It freaky what you have to do to compete in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Lamarr Woodley says he doesn't work out his legs during the season then wonders why he has all those hamstring and ankle injuries.

WedgeX

Banned
Welp, Imma drunk. Bartender was treating me good while waiting for my food and after having visited far too many psych hospitals for clients today. Jack n coke indeed.

Also, having bars to walk to is the best.

Also, saw titus got arraigned today...hopefully he gets some much needed help.

squicken

Welp, Imma drunk. Bartender was treating me good while waiting for my food and after having visited far too many psych hospitals for clients today. Jack n coke indeed.

His dad said he was taking meds for schizophrenia. That would be really sad. At least with drugs there's always the chance to turn it around

Trasher

Have one for me, friend. And have another ten for Titus since he shouldn't be going anywhere near alcohol for the rest of his life.

bionic77

You should watch some of the guys' workouts. It freaky what you have to do to compete in the NFL.

Meanwhile, Lamarr Woodley says he doesn't work out his legs during the season then wonders why he has all those hamstring and ankle injuries.
Fuck that fat fuck.

Also 2010 Pack were garbage and lucky. That's why they were unstoppable in the playoffs. The bar for being champion gets lower every year. We are going have to be total shit to contend this year. Thankfully most of GAF thinks we are up to that task!

WedgeX

Banned
His dad said he was taking meds for schizophrenia. That would be really sad. At least with drugs there's always the chance to turn it around

Terrible. I met with one client today who had been off his schizophrenia meds for three months. I imagine Titus is not far off. I wouldn't wish in-patient hospitalization on anyone, shit is straight out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but for Titus is seems necessary.

Have one for me, friend. And have another ten for Titus since he shouldn't be going anywhere near alcohol for the rest of his life.

I'll take all of his remaining alcohol. For life.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Fuck that fat fuck.

Also 2010 Pack were garbage and lucky. That's why they were unstoppable in the playoffs. The bar for being champion gets lower every year. We are going have to be total shit to contend this year. Thankfully most of GAF thinks we are up to that task!

I want a 7-9 team to win!

Seattle ruined everything in 2011!

mr2xxx

Banned
James Harrison spends 400-600k a year keeping his body in game shape, steroids sure are expensive

No one can claim that it wasn't money well invested though. Dude went from a UDFA, player who got cut multiple times to pass rushing force. Posterboy for why you should take steroids.

Fuck that fat fuck.

You have a great team Bionic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Someone save this poor soul:

I have a friend who is really in to NFL and he sort of got me interested. I decided I would try and follow a team next season. Since the football team I support, Chelsea, are a pretty successful side. I decided to follow a NFL side who aren't too hot. My friend recommended Jacksonville Jaguars. So I'll see how that pans out.

squicken

I think the Jags could be a playoff team in a couple of years

Short term, 2013 will be a tough year for JAX. And long term, they will be stuck in a division with Andrew Luck. But they could also get Bridgewater next year, and I think they've really upgraded both coaching and GM. It also seems like Kahn is out of the way as far as player personnel, though his son and his PFF account is something to worry about

Top Bottom