• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Fantomex

So help me out here. If I buy Madden and I already have DirecTV, I get to see ALL the Phins games? Or is it only certain games from whatever teams they choose?

Nevermind, New Subscribers only like always. Lame!

squicken

Cantor is probably the biggest Vegas sports book, and they released their season win totals last week. Where they differ big from the Atlantis lines from earlier. Seems they are giving away money on that Rams total

Buffalo Bills
Atlantis: 5 wins
Cantor: 6.5 wins

Green Bay Packers
Atlantis: 12 wins
Cantor: 10.5 wins

St. Louis Rams
Atlantis: 8 wins

So help me out here. If I buy Madden and I already have DirecTV, I get to see ALL the Phins games? Or is it only certain games from whatever teams they choose?

Nevermind, New Subscribers only like always. Lame!

hmmm I thought the coupon was $99 for existing subscribers as well?

The first trailer was the best. I love every song they've used so far.

I don't mind them going completely over the top. It's been years since I read the book anyway.

Looking forward to the film.
I am surprised it did so well in its first weekend. it looks like a wait for video movie to me.

What week does the Matt Barkley era begin? I'm guessing Week 6. What do you guys think?

I will say week 3, but I really think week 1 is realistic. Vick is actually going to have to win the job from Barkley. I dont think Chip is going to just hand it to him.

brentech

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1144.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-15 23:53 EDT-0400)
Nice. Going to be a beast.

The first trailer was the best. I love every song they've used so far.

I don't mind them going completely over the top. It's been years since I read the book anyway.

Looking forward to the film.
It was pretty enjoyable. I think they could have stayed closer to the book in some instances but that pretty much always happens in movies, and it was nothing too egregious unless you're a big stickler for that kind of thing.

I did feel like a lot of the music was out of place, but overall I didn't really mind the over the top stuff either. Young and Beautiful is an amazing song though, it fits the movie so perfectly.

Squicken, since we're in full offseason mode, I'm gonna respond on here and not in Twitter since I need more than 140 letters.

So, you get the concepts of the Europa League and the Champions League now right?

In the Champions League, you start with the groupstage. Where every team plays the 3 other teams twice. The top 2 advance to the knock-out rounds of the Champions League. When you finish 3rd, you qualify to play in the Europa League and are eliminated from the Champions League and the team that finishes last is eliminated from the Champions League and is not qualified to play in the EL.

Arsenal finished first or second in their pool, so they advanced in the Champions League. Chelsea finished third in their pool, so they got downgraded to play in the Europa League. They see advancing in the CL, even with the posibillity of being eliminated in the first round of the knock-out stage as a bigger reward than competing in the EL (Money wise, advancing in the CL also earns you a whole lot more than winning the EL, I think).

Edit: Also, I'm a complete Chelsea bandwagoner (Sorry Yankeehater :'( ). I always played with Chelsea in Fifa since the 2008 version, so I started to follow them in real life as well.

Edit: Also, I'm a complete Chelsea bandwagoner (Sorry Yankeehater :'( ). I always played with Chelsea in Fifa since the 2008 version, so I started to follow them in real life as well.
It's funny how sports games can turn you into a fan like that. I did the same thing with the Memphis Grizzlies back when I picked up NBA 2k11. I wanted to play as a decent team but I wanted it to be someone kind of under the radar so I went with Memphis. Ever since playing through a season or two as the Grizzlies I've been paying attention to them a little more in real life, and now they're in the conference championship! Pretty cool.

I've never had that happen with FIFA though, because my goal there is usually to play as a League 2 team and work my way up to the EPL. Go Bury!

It's funny how sports games can turn you into a fan like that. I did the same thing with the Memphis Grizzlies back when I picked up NBA 2k11. I wanted to play as a decent team but I wanted it to be someone kind of under the radar so I went with Memphis. Ever since playing through a season or two as the Grizzlies I've been paying attention to them a little more in real life, and now they're in the conference championship! Pretty cool.

I've never had that happen with FIFA though, because my goal there is usually to play as a League 2 team and work my way up to the EPL. Go Bury!

I always start a career with the team from my hometown, since it's one of the worst teams in the Dutch league, it's fun to build from there.

And after that I start a career with Chelsea to spend crazy amounts of money on all the superstars and to build my own dreamteam :D

You never play online? Online I always play with Chelsea, although for the first time I switched it up a bit, because they're pretty terrible in Fifa and I can't compete with Real Madrid and Barcelone because the players simply aren't good enough.

On which console do you play Fifa?

I always start a career with the team from my hometown, since it's one of the worst teams in the Dutch league, it's fun to build from there.

And after that I start a career with Chelsea to spend crazy amounts of money on all the superstars and to build my own dreamteam :D

You never play online? Online I always play with Chelsea, although for the first time I switched it up a bit, because they're pretty terrible in Fifa and I can't compete with Real Madrid and Barcelone because the players simply aren't good enough.

On which console do you play Fifa?
In FIFA 13 I actually started as a League 2 team and then got fired (stupid overly high expectations) and went to manage some Australian team. I think I played a solid 4 or 5 season there and won it all the last 3 but by then my team was so good it almost felt unfair, haha.

I've played some FIFA online here and there but honestly it's never really hooked me like the manager mode. I love playing with friends though, but unfortunately that rarely happens these days as well. I'd say I'm a pretty decent player, I've been playing on World Class since FIFA 09 or so.

I play on the PS3. I'd love to play a few matches sometime if you're on PS3 as well!

In FIFA 13 I actually started as a League 2 team and then got fired (stupid overly high expectations) and went to manage some Australian team. I think I played a solid 4 or 5 season there and won it all the last 3 but by then my team was so good it almost felt unfair, haha.

I've played some FIFA online here and there but honestly it's never really hooked me like the manager mode. I love playing with friends though, but unfortunately that rarely happens these days as well. I'd say I'm a pretty decent player, I've been playing on World Class since FIFA 09 or so.

I play on the PS3. I'd love to play a few matches sometime if you're on PS3 as well!

Damn you PS3 players! I have it on Xbox. But I can probably borrow my little brother's PS3 copy. PM me your PSN name (or post it here) and I'll add you. I'm always down to play a couple of games.

I also challenged Bionic, but he always has excuses and is too scared.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Fuck the Grizzlies. Team was taken out of Vancouver way too early! :(

Damn you PS3 players! I have it on Xbox. But I can probably borrow my little brother's PS3 copy. PM me your PSN name (or post it here) and I'll add you. I'm always down to play a couple of games.

I also challenged Bionic, but he always has excuses and is too scared.
Just trade your Xbox for your brother's PS3 permanently. :p

I'm definitely up for some games, my PSN is the same as my name on here. I'll be honest, I'm scared as well. You know how we Americans are when it comes to soccer.

Fuck the Grizzlies. Team was taken out of Vancouver way too early! :(
That's probably true, but other than that they're hard to hate. They're a small market team full of humble team players that excel defensively, which in my opinion is exactly what the NBA has been missing for quite some time. The more you look into the guys and their stories the more you want to see them win.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Cantor is probably the biggest Vegas sports book, and they released their season win totals last week. Where they differ big from the Atlantis lines from earlier. Seems they are giving away money on that Rams total

Buffalo Bills
Atlantis: 5 wins

Green Bay Packers
Atlantis: 12 wins
Cantor: 10.5 wins

St. Louis Rams
Atlantis: 8 wins

Do you have a link to the rest of the teams, and do they have SuperBowl odds??

squicken

Do you have a link to the rest of the teams, and do they have SuperBowl odds??

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
Over 11 (-125)
Under 11 (+105)

CHICAGO BEARS
Over 8.5 (-120)
Under 8.5 (even)

CINCINNATI BENGALS
Over 8.5 (-120)
Under 8.5 (even)

BUFFALO BILLS
Over 6.5 (even)
Under 6.5 (-120)

DENVER BRONCOS
Over 11 (-120)
Under 11 (even)

CLEVELAND BROWNS
Over 5.5 (-110)
Under 5.5 (-110)

TAMPA BAY BUCS
Over 7.5 (-115)
Under 7.5 (-105)

ARIZONA CARDINALS
Over 5.5 (even)
Under 5.5 (-120)

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Over 6.5 (-110)
Under 6.5 (-110)

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Over 8.5 (-110)
Under 8.5 (-110)

DALLAS COWBOYS
Over 8.5 (-110)
Under 8.5 (-110)

MIAMI DOLPHINS
Over 6.5 (-120)
Under 6.5 (even)

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Over 7 (-120)
Under 7 (even)

ATLANTA FALCONS
Over 10 (-115)
Under 10 (-105)

NEW YORK GIANTS
Over 9 (-120)
Under 9 (even)

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Over 5 (-120)
Under 5 (even)

NEW YORK JETS
Over 6.5 (-105)
Under 6.5 (-115)

DETROIT LIONS
Over 7.5 (-110)
Under 7.5 (-110)

GREEN BAY PACKERS
Over 10.5 (even)
Under 10.5 (-120)

CAROLINA PANTHERS
Over 7 (even)
Under 7 (-120)

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Over 11 (-115)
Under 11 (-105)

OAKLAND RAIDERS
Over 5.5 (-110)
Under 5.5 (-110)

ST. LOUIS RAMS
Over 6.5 (-110)
Under 6.5 (-110)

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Over 9 (-110)
Under 9 (-110)

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Over 8 (-110)
Under 8 (-110)

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Over 9 (-115)
Under 9 (-105)

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Over 10 (-120)
Under 10 (even)

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Over 9.5 (-110)
Under 9.5 (-110)

HOUSTON TEXANS
Over 10.5 (even)
Under 10.5 (-120)

TENNESSEE TITANS
Over 6.5 (-120)
Under 6.5 (even)

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Over 7 (-120)
Under 7 (even)

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
Over 7.5 (-110)

Super bowl odds:

sb2014l4yhs.jpg

Thanks Dutch. I didn't realize the money disparity was that large between the two tournaments. Makes sense then that a team like Arsenal would be okay with making the CL but going out relatively early vs going to the EL

Qualifying for the group stage of the CL nets you 8,9 million, qualifying for group stage of the EL nets you 1,3 million.

Items a huge difference.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Clearly the oddsmakers are ignoring the amazing arm of one Matthew Stafford and his ability to put up 10,000 yards a season! And he's only 15 years old and he can only get better!!!

:kas

Qualifying for the group stage of the CL nets you 8,9 million, qualifying for group stage of the EL nets you 1,3 million.

Items a huge difference.
The craziest thing about soccer (and the reason I can't really get into it) is the disparity in worth from team to team. If you look at the EPL the team with the most worth is Man U at £1.06 billion and the team with the least (out of only 20 teams) is Wigan at £42.8 million. So Wigan is worth 4% of Man U.

In the NFL the Cowboys are worth the most at $2.1 billion and the Jags are at the bottom at $770 million. So the Jags are worth 37% of Dallas.

I just don't see how you can get excited about leagues like the EPL unless you have been invested in a team since forever, and even then you probably know that your team will either always be around the top or will likely never have a shot depending on where they stack up in terms of worth. It's just so uninteresting from the outside looking in. You either pull for a juggernaut or a team that will never become more than fodder for one of those juggernauts.

High level play between clubs from different leagues is a lot more exciting of course, but at the end of the day it still almost always comes down to the same handful of clubs. I know this complaint is nothing new but it's the main reason why I just can't get into European club soccer. I know all sports revolve around money but at least most US sports try to manage that influence in varying degrees.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's been explained to me that rooting for soccer teams isn't actually rooting for them to win, it's about community. Or something. Because out of the 100 or so clubs in England, only 2 or 3 of them have a legit chance to win the league, people certainly aren't rooting because of the great games.

All of that leads to why the NFL is the superior league to pretty much all sports leagues. The rules are in place to try and force parity. It's amazing to me that the owners/commissioners in the other sports can't figure this out.

bionic77

I don't have any teams but I love watching professional euro soccer and national games.

My loyalties change match to match with the exception of always rooting for the US in national matches. A good soccer match is really fun. There are a lot of duds too but I guess you could say the same in any sport. Because I am not attached to any teams I don't get as emotional watching it. Also love the lack of stoppage.

squicken

I really would love to see the Giants in some 80's throwbacks with the 76-99 logo on the side of the helmets. I grew up with that so it holds some serious nostalgic value for me.

[MG]http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0807/nfl_g_taylor_260.jpg[/IMG] http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0203/nfl_u_carson_200.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

I still like the Giants logo. It's a pretty subtle change. I've never liked Denver's move away from their old logo and helmets. Seemed like a lot of teams have these angry animals on their helmets for no good reason

edit: I cannot imagine NBA GAF is doing well with Phil's Jordan vs Kobe book

[url]http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-phil-jackson-kobe-20130516,0,269009,full.story[/url]

Milchjon

I don't have any teams but I love watching professional euro soccer and national games.

My loyalties change match to match with the exception of always rooting for the US in national matches. A good soccer match is really fun. There are a lot of duds too but I guess you could say the same in any sport. Because I am not attached to any teams I don't get as emotional watching it. Also love the lack of stoppage.

Weirdo.

BigAT

I really would love to see the Giants in some 80's throwbacks with the 76-99 logo on the side of the helmets. I grew up with that so it holds some serious nostalgic value for me.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0807/nfl_g_taylor_260.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0203/nfl_u_carson_200.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I really wish they would bring back the old away uniforms or at least get rid of the current ones. Absolutely no blue anywhere on the jersey, they look like a Cardinals jersey if you get rid of the helmet.

Top Bottom