• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Seahawks logo looks like crying indian from those commercials.

995.gif

cryingindian.jpg

I got stuck with Wolverhampton this way

Why?

I always chose Chelsea back then because my friend played with Real Madrid and I needed some team to match. I then fell in love with Didier Drogba.

I don't have any teams but I love watching professional euro soccer and national games.

My loyalties change match to match with the exception of always rooting for the US in national matches. A good soccer match is really fun. There are a lot of duds too but I guess you could say the same in any sport. Because I am not attached to any teams I don't get as emotional watching it. Also love the lack of stoppage.

I'm enjoying watching soccer more and more lately, too bad the Dutch season is over now.

The craziest thing about soccer (and the reason I can't really get into it) is the disparity in worth from team to team. If you look at the EPL the team with the most worth is Man U at £1.06 billion and the team with the least (out of only 20 teams) is Wigan at £42.8 million. So Wigan is worth 4% of Man U.

In the NFL the Cowboys are worth the most at $2.1 billion and the Jags are at the bottom at $770 million. So the Jags are worth 37% of Dallas.

I just don't see how you can get excited about leagues like the EPL unless you have been invested in a team since forever, and even then you probably know that your team will either always be around the top or will likely never have a shot depending on where they stack up in terms of worth. It's just so uninteresting from the outside looking in. You either pull for a juggernaut or a team that will never become more than fodder for one of those juggernauts.

High level play between clubs from different leagues is a lot more exciting of course, but at the end of the day it still almost always comes down to the same handful of clubs. I know this complaint is nothing new but it's the main reason why I just can't get into European club soccer. I know all sports revolve around money but at least most US sports try to manage that influence in varying degrees.

I root for the team from the city I was born, ADO Den Haag, I like to compare them to the Raiders, but the Raiders had more success in the past. They are from a large city(for Dutchie standards), but the club is quite small. They have an average budget of around 10 to 15 million, where the 2 largest teams have budgets of around the 60 to 65 million. A pretty massive gap and it shows in the results. The largest club, Ajax, has won the title for 3 years in a row now.

The only real fun my team gives nowadays is the occasional upset of the big teams. Every time the team starts to show some promise and actually starts to win games, the big teams buy our good players.

squicken

all of the old Rams logos are amazing

The lady who owned the Rams and moved them from STL was one of the worst owners in professional sports. No one went after her b/c she was one of the first women owners, but she was awful. She wanted a "new start" and changed the awesome yellow and blues to the ugly gold and navy thing they had

It is like the Pats just sit around trying to find ways to be more evil. How bad would it suck to have diabetes and then on top of it your team gives you this crazy ultimatum. He should totally get a lawyer and go after them.

Mike Glennon will be getting plenty of reps with the 1's.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...to-give-rookie-qb-mike-glennon-plenty-of-reps

“We're going to put a lot of pressure on [Glennon] and see a lot of reps from him in the preseason. He's got to play,” Dominik said on a recent NFL.com podcast, via JoeBucsFan.com. “We may not see as much of Dan Orlovsky or even of Josh Freeman somewhat in the preseason as much as you're going to see Glennon.”

That can't be a great thing for Freeman. Well, I guess it depends on how deep into the preseason Dominik means. If the team really wants to test Glennon during OTAs and the early part of training camp (and maybe a preseason game or two), that might be OK by Freeman, since it would keep him away from the possibilities of an on-field injury while allowing him to stay fresh.

But if Glennon is the de factor No. 1 quarterback for the entire preseason, that probably will present problems.

“We're excited about just the little bit we saw from him [during rookie minicamp] in terms of mentally what he could handle,” Dominik said. “We kept piling more on him and he kept doing a great job digesting it, regurgitating it and running the team.”

Doesn't sound like particularly good news for Freeman in Tampa Bay.

It is like the Pats just sit around trying to find ways to be more evil. How bad would it suck to have diabetes and then on top of it your team gives you this crazy ultimatum. He should totally get a lawyer and go after them.

If the PFT thing is true, and it seems like it is, I understand that you cut him, to give him time to get healthy and all that and re-sign him afterwards, to open up a roster spot or something, but the way they handled it is bullshit.

If the PFT thing is true, and it seems like it is, I understand that you cut him, to give him time to get healthy and all that and re-sign him afterwards, to open up a roster spot or something, but the way they handled it is bullshit.

Couldnt they have just put him on the PUP list until he was healthy? The only reason to force him to retire is they were worried he would be cleared and they didnt want to pay him. Hopefully he lands somewhere else and plays well.

ChanHuk

Banned
Couldnt they have just put him on the PUP list until he was healthy? The only reason to force him to retire is they were worried he would be cleared and they didnt want to pay him. Hopefully he lands somewhere else and plays well.

Raiders picking up everyone banged up with a chip on their shoulder. I'd welcome him as long as he gives up a cheeseburger every now and then.

Wrayfield

Damn you PS3 players! I have it on Xbox. But I can probably borrow my little brother's PS3 copy. PM me your PSN name (or post it here) and I'll add you. I'm always down to play a couple of games.

I also challenged Bionic, but he always has excuses and is too scared.

Just trade your Xbox for your brother's PS3 permanently. :p

I'm definitely up for some games, my PSN is the same as my name on here. I'll be honest, I'm scared as well. You know how we Americans are when it comes to soccer.

That's probably true, but other than that they're hard to hate. They're a small market team full of humble team players that excel defensively, which in my opinion is exactly what the NBA has been missing for quite some time. The more you look into the guys and their stories the more you want to see them win.

If you want a mediocre FIFA opponent, TheRealWrayfield is there for you (some kid took Wrayfield in PSN). :)

I root for the team from the city I was born, ADO Den Haag, I like to compare them to the Raiders, but the Raiders had more success in the past. They are from a large city(for Dutchie standards), but the club is quite small. They have an average budget of around 10 to 15 million, where the 2 largest teams have budgets of around the 60 to 65 million. A pretty massive gap and it shows in the results. The largest club, Ajax, has won the title for 3 years in a row now.

The only real fun my team gives nowadays is the occasional upset of the big teams. Every time the team starts to show some promise and actually starts to win games, the big teams buy our good players.
That is so depressing. I really like the sport of soccer, I just wish it wasn't so blatantly centered around the money.

If you want a mediocre FIFA opponent, TheRealWrayfield is there for you (some kid took Wrayfield in PSN). :)
Sounds good, man. I can't believe someone took Wrayfield from you, what a punk.

ChanHuk

Banned
So here's my thank you letter to my rejection:

Dr. MrMrsJerkoffwhorejectedme

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview for the Emergency Medical Technician position. I appreciate your time and consideration and enjoyed our meeting.

Although I am disappointed I was not selected for the vacancy. I would like to thank you for the courtesy and professionalism shown to me throughout the entire selection process. I enjoyed meeting you and the rest of your staff in your ER. Our meetings confirmed that Orange Coast Memorial would be an exciting place to work and build a career.

Please keep me in mind for future consideration should another position become available.

Again, thank you for the interview. Best wishes to you and your staff.

Yay or nay?

squicken

Can't help you ChanHuk, I've been lucky with my job searches. Sorry you didn't get the position

Rob Rang has his top 32 2014 propsect

Clowney is 1, Matthews 2, Bridgewater 3, Lewan 4, Tuitt 5

JABEE

I really would love to see the Giants in some 80's throwbacks with the 76-99 logo on the side of the helmets. I grew up with that so it holds some serious nostalgic value for me.

nfl_g_taylor_260.jpg
nfl_u_carson_200.jpg

I like the "GIANTS" logo better than their current one.

The old Eagles logo from the 40s is awesome.

Top Bottom