• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If the Saints can win a Superbowl, and the Cardinals can make a Superbowl, Goddamnit so can we. We've been cursed too long, our time is now. Our offense can hang with and outscore anyone in the league. That in itself is enough for my confidence.

Fox318

If the Saints can win a Superbowl, and the Cardinals can make a Superbowl, Goddamnit so can we. We've been cursed too long, our time is now. Our offense can hang with and outscore anyone in the league. That in itself is enough for my confidence.
Lol. Lions won't make the playoffs at least for 5 years.

ari

Banned
I just don't see the Lions doing too much at their current state within the NFC north and NFC in general. Sorry.

squicken

You are going to have to upgrade Mayhew and Schwartz. Those two just aren't good at their jobs and it's holding back your organization

BigAT

How many of those teams were coming off a 4-12 season and had a shoulder-less fatso at quarterback?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You are going to have to upgrade Mayhew and Schwartz. Those two just aren't good at their jobs and it's holding back your organization

Mayhew has been a solid GM thus far.

He fleeced Jerry Jones for a 1st and a 3rd round pick for Roy Williams as one of his first moves. He turned that first round pick into Brandon Pettigrew, a solid TE, and in the same draft picked Matthew Stafford with the #1 pick and Louis Delmas in the 2nd. He picked Ndamukong Suh with the #2 pick and then picked up Nick Fairley the next year with the #13 pick.

He also got Chris Houston, our #1 DB from the ATL Falcons for a 6th round pick IIRC. Chris Houston was one of the most sought after DBs this past free agency despite being seen as a "flop" by ATL's front office. They took Chris Houston as a 2nd round pick but he didn't pan out for whatever reason in ATL.

Mayhew saw the talent in Titus Young and Jahvid Best but for separate reasons they did not pan out. They both were amazing for a short period of time but through brain injuries could not stay on the field.

He has taken over an 0-16 team and turned it into one of the most explosive offenses in the league, and a fearsome defensive line. He hasn't been as great with Round 4-7 picks but this article points out a lot of positives and negatives of Mayhew.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/5/6/4303036/lions-draft-picks-martin-mayhew

How many of those teams were coming off a 4-12 season and had a shoulder-less fatso at quarterback?

The Rams did it in 1999, Saints did it recently and so did the Cardinals. The Seahawks were the laughing stock of the league, and now they're some fearsome team, who we handled last year.

That shoulder-less QB has one of the strongest and most accurate arms in the league, and has dropped an unprecedented 10,000 Yards and a 3:1.5 TD/INT ratio before his 25th birthday.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I thought Mayhew was doing alright by picking up questionable character/low durability guys because the Lions needed an influx of talent. But he keeps doing it, and that, I don't like. Just too much off the field to make it work on the field.

bionic77

Pretty sure the Steelers were a 6 win team the year before we drafted Ben. In his first year he went undefeated in the regular season (playoffs were canceled that year for some reason) and won a title his second.

Teams can turn around quick in the NFL. Now to see if Reggie can make as big of an impact as Ben.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I thought Mayhew was doing alright by picking up questionable character/low durability guys because the Lions needed an influx of talent. But he keeps doing it, and that, I don't like. Just too much off the field to make it work on the field.

He started to change that philosophy last years draft. He picked up Riley Reiff (LT) at #22 in last years draft, a very safe pick, and I'm starting to think he passed up on Dee Milliner for Ziggy Ansah because of previous players who had character issues (mainly Titus Young).

When he first took over after the 0-16 season we were so depleted of talent outside of Calvin Johnson and Cliff Avril, he had to stock up the team with as much talent as possible considering we were the worst team in NFL history. As we've gone along we've gotten high character guys with talent, and now we can pick and choose among talent moreso than before.

At the same time a lot of people claim Suh and Nick Fairley are questionable characters which I disagree with. Suh stomped on some chump Packers lineman who the Packers coaching staff told to untie his shoelaces and attempt to injure him, and Nick Fairley got busted for weed. Big deal.

Talon

Is Kas really crowing about Chris Houston? He who Roddy and Julio took turns leaving in their dust?

He may play your #1, but he is perfectly average. Atlanta didn't keep him around because he couldn't pass off guys while playing zone to save his life. Drafted by the previous regime.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Is Kas really crowing about Chris Houston? He who Roddy and Julio took turns leaving in their dust?

He may play your #1, but he is perfectly average. Atlanta didn't keep him around because he couldn't pass off guys while playing zone to save his life. Drafted by the previous regime.

He is solid enough to where he was one of the most sought after DBs this past Free Agency. Houston was though highly enough to be drafted by the Falcons in the 2007 draft to be a 2nd round pick out of Arkansas.

He's had 8 INTs, two he turned into Touchdowns, with three forced fumbles and 37 passes defended since coming to Detroit. Just because your coaching staff couldn't make him work with your defense, he's worked great with our defensive philosophy.

Pretty sure the Steelers were a 6 win team the year before we drafted Ben. In his first year he went undefeated in the regular season (playoffs were canceled that year for some reason) and won a title his second.

Teams can turn around quick in the NFL. Now to see if Reggie can make as big of an impact as Ben.

:jnc at the bolded.

But speaking to your point, the Panthers went from 1-15 to 11-5 and in the Super Bowl in two years under Fox, so yeah teams can definitely change quickly.

The Panthers also went from 12-4 and a major Jake Delhomme fuck-up from a Super Bowl berth to 2-14 and worst team in the league in Fox's last three years.

Talon

He is solid enough to where he was one of the most sought after DBs this past Free Agency. Houston was though highly enough to be drafted by the Falcons in the 2007 draft to be a 2nd round pick out of Arkansas.

He's had 8 INTs, two he turned into Touchdowns, with three forced fumbles and 37 passes defended since coming to Detroit. Just because your coaching staff couldn't make him work with your defense, he's worked great with our defensive philosophy.
Great at getting burnt by Roddy for touchdowns. He's had 3 over him for the last 2 meetings.

We give you shit for hyping perfectly average players like Houston. I feel nothing for him. We had him on the team the last three years, his name was Chris Owens.

Godslay

Banned
:jnc at the bolded.

But speaking to your point, the Panthers went from 1-15 to 11-5 and in the Super Bowl in two years under Fox, so yeah teams can definitely change quickly.

The Panthers also went from 12-4 and a major Jake Delhomme fuck-up from a Super Bowl berth to 2-14 and worst team in the league in Fox's last three years.

That last part wasn't entirely Fox's fault. Right?

He has taken over an 0-16 team and turned it into one of the most explosive offenses in the league, and a fearsome defensive line.
This is where it's hard not to wonder what it is you're watching. Outside of incidental crotch kicking, there's absolutely nothing fearsome about your defensive line.

The Lions were ranked 20th in sacks just ahead of the Giants who had a complete down year with the defensive line severely under performing. There's no way I'm going to sit here and try to sell the Giants defensive line in 2012 as "fearsome". They were soft as fuck.

The Lions were 16th (barely middle of the road) against the run allowing almost 120 yards per game.

27th in points per game allowing 27.3 points.

There's just nothing fearsome about your defensive line. You just drafted an extremely raw player at #5 who's going to get thrown out on the field day one because you lack any semblance of depth at the DE position.

I don't get it....

Vyroxis

Banned
NFC north isn't very good, don't fool yourself

I accept your claim that our division isn't the best, but take pride in the fact the Vikings beat your team with a solid preformance.

Also, Kas is delusional. The Lions will certainly finish ahead of the Bears, and probably tie the Vikings. But ahead of the Packers? HA! That is quite the long shot.

I accept your claim that our division isn't the best, but take pride in the fact the Vikings beat your team with a solid preformance.

Also, Kas is delusional. The Lions will certainly finish ahead of the Bears, and probably tie the Vikings. But ahead of the Packers? HA! That is quite the long shot.

vikings didn't beat us, the curse of the 2-2-1 did

That last part wasn't entirely Fox's fault. Right?

Considering there was a drastic reduction of payroll between those two years that led to the team getting gutted talent-wise, along with dealing with a year of Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen (and Brian St. Pierre) at QB, I can't blame everything on Fox.

If nothing else, he was a guy that had control and respect in the locker room, and the guys played hard for him until the very end. The general idea around him leaving was that 2011 was the time for a complete change in culture, and drafting the QB of the future (who we all expected to be Luck at the end of that season) would mean we needed a new, exciting coaching staff in place as well. It wasn't that Fox was a bad coach, but that he was too...um conservative and the fans wanted someone new.

Fox is ten times a better coach than Rivera though.

bionic77

Don't assume anything or take anything for granted in the NFL. Just because the Packers were good last year and the Lions were shit does not mean that history will repeat itself. The fat man cometh!

WedgeX

Banned
Don't assume anything or take anything for granted in the NFL. Just because the Packers were good last year and the Lions were shit does not mean that history will repeat itself. The fat man cometh!

Once he gets going, the mass just can't be stopped.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Seahawks were the laughing stock of the league, and now they're some fearsome team, who we handled last year.
Actually, Seahawks just went through what most NFL teams call a "transition period", between the peak years of the Holmgren/Hasselbeck era and the nascent Carroll/Wilson era. Things were bad for a bit, then they got better.

Yay, the Browns signed Hoyer like I knew they would. Lombardo just couldn't resist himself. Could be a Romo type story if Hoyer wasn't 27 already.

Also, anyone here play Skullgirls?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Yay, the Browns signed Hoyer like I knew they would. Lombardo just couldn't resist himself. Could be a Romo type story if Hoyer wasn't 27 already.

Also, anyone here play Skullgirls?

Hoyer, Weeden and JCamp locked in a 3-way battle for the Browns starting qb position! How is this not getting as much attention as the Jets' situation?

cdyhybrid

Actually, Seahawks just went through what most NFL teams call a "transition period", between the peak years of the Holmgren/Hasselbeck era and the nascent Carroll/Wilson era. Things were bad for a bit, then they got better.

Hey, the Lions have been going through a transition period, too. A 50-year transition period, but still.

Hoyer, Weeden and JCamp locked in a 3-way battle for the Browns starting qb position! How is this not getting as much attention as the Jets' situation?

Hoyer is Lombardo's crush, Cambell is Norv's crush, but Weeden has the arm seems best fit for overall system, but Weeden can't relax, he could lose it, it just seems very doubtful sill.

Milchjon

Follow this flow chart...

Do you have a Massachusetts birth certificate?

If the answer is yes ->
Pats Suck

If the answer is no ->
You're a bandwagoner and the Pats suck

tumblr_lu2b4jSdZM1qzgpx9.gif

Peyton just renegotiated his contract about an hour ago to free up some cap space, pretty sure Woodson will be signed tomorrow.

Hoyer is Lombardo's crush, Cambell is Norv's crush, but Weeden has the arm seems best fit for overall system, but Weeden can't relax, he could lose it, it just seems very doubtful sill.

Wonder if the Browns or Jags would want Pryor? Pretty sure Reggie will trade him if he gets any offers. Chud could probably get the most out of him, and he has improved a lot.

Wonder if the Browns or Jags would want Pryor? Pretty sure Reggie will trade him if he gets any offers. Chud could probably get the most out of him, and he has improved a lot.

After what Pryor did to Buckeyes fans, doubt many Browns fans would want him here. From a football standpoint, he hasn't shown much. I'd only take a flyer if he was a FA Hoyer style. Weeden still could give us 6-7 good years.

cashman

Banned
I've never even seen the show, but I refuse to believe that any information can be discerned from this gif.

You're a thief of joy, too.
You just ruined the whole series for me dude. I hope you can live with yourself knowing that it's the second worst thing you've ever done in your life. (next to being a pats fan obviously)

squicken

James Lauranitis was doing an interview talking about Kap and Wilson, saying they were so dangerous b/c they were more than just athletes b/c they could throw it too. He used Pryor as a guy he had played with who was a good athlete, while also saying he couldn't throw for shit

Top Bottom