• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT3| The Long Wait

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
today is a good day and it's only 9

iboxDz9p0BN607.png

squicken

GB doesn't have a player in its front 7 taller than 6'4". That's kind of odd, really. You'd think at least the DEs would be tall guys

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Some very tall, rangy DE's in the NFC North...DET (Jones-6'5, Ansah-6'5), CHI (Peppers-6'5, Wooten-6'6) MIN (Allen-6'6). GB much smaller

She has Tom Brady's chin, no wonder Dutch pounds his pillow to her

Strangely enough, this is not the first time someone has pointed out that I dig a chick with a 'Bradychin'. Interesting.

Also, 2 more weeks 'till I'm going to the Trampled by Turtles show :D!

Friends, I'm buying a power ball ticket. If I win, I will buy GAF; unban snes and then ban him again.

If you win, you're buying Taco Bell when I'm in LA.

Vio-Lence

Banned
GB doesn't have a player in its front 7 taller than 6'4". That's kind of odd, really. You'd think at least the DEs would be tall guys

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Some very tall, rangy DE's in the NFC North...DET (Jones-6'5, Ansah-6'5), CHI (Peppers-6'5, Wooten-6'6) MIN (Allen-6'6). GB much smaller

GB specializes in roided up LBs.

bionic77

drogba.gif

That's a LA 7? Getting more hyped for the summer.
LA has the best looking girls in the world. Not saying they are worth talking to or are nice people, but they gots the looks.

Otherwise the city is a shithole. Get your Gronk on when you are there. Tell chicks you are a Dutch producer looking for someone to be in your documentary about cheese or windmills or whatever.

Greg

LA has the best looking girls in the world. Not saying they are worth talking to or are nice people, but they gots the looks.

Otherwise the city is a shithole. Get your Gronk on when you are there. Tell chicks you are a Dutch producer looking for someone to be in your documentary about cheese or windmills or whatever.
:jnc

ChanHuk

Banned
Chapter 6 of FE, trying to figure out who I want to keep in my party permanently. Going with Chrom (obviously), Lissa, Maribelle, Avatar, Lan'qu, Stahl, Sully, and figuring out the rest.

That's not a bad idea.

Too bad I can't take them out for drinks since your third world country has stupid +21 drinking laws.

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=

Average starting position, percentage of drives that led to TDs, FGs, TOs. NFL is all about possessions, and now we can see what teams do in aggregate
Some great stuff in there, thanks.

I like this one: "Average point differential at the start of the drive" On one end you have the Pats at +6.4 and on the other end you've got the Chiefs at -8.6. Down by more than a TD at the start of a drive on average... that is horrifically bad. The Chiefs also turned the ball over on 19% of their drives.

Baalke had some quasi-backhanded remarks at Fangio and his inability to develop rookies awhile back. Some start data that go to that

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/100023/which-team-leads-in-rookie-starts-since-10
I'm not sure what that has to do with rookie development. The article even states that the Niners have fielded a veteran unit and when you take into account the ridiculous health of that unit over the last couple of seasons - of course rookies aren't going to need to start....

Why would a team push a rookie onto the field if they don't have to?

squicken

I'm not sure what that has to do with rookie development. The article even states that the Niners have fielded a veteran unit and when you take into account the ridiculous health of that unit over the last couple of seasons - of course rookies aren't going to need to start....

Why would a team push a rookie onto the field if they don't have to?

The play counts for the 49ers top players are obscene. They never come off the field. Sando asked Baalke about it and Baalke got defensive, saying it wasn't that they weren't drafting the right guys, it's that the coaches weren't playing young players.

Draxal

Chapter 6 of FE, trying to figure out who I want to keep in my party permanently. Going with Chrom (obviously), Lissa, Maribelle, Avatar, Lan'qu, Stahl, Sully, and figuring out the rest.

I think I had Chrom/Sumia/Avatar in my end game party; with Lissa/Maribelle joining in some of the bigger maps. Just saying you'll get a shit ton.

bionic77

What does winning the lottery have to do with it?

Come down for the Steelers game!
If we bring our families are our women allowed to talk without permission and leave the kitchen while we are there?

I just want to make sure that if I visit I don't insult you by not observing your unique sconi culture.

squicken

Some great stuff in there, thanks.

I like this one: "Average point differential at the start of the drive" On one end you have the Pats at +6.4 and on the other end you've got the Chiefs at -8.6. Down by more than a TD at the start of a drive on average... that is horrifically bad. The Chiefs also turned the ball over on 19% of their drives.

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=

Just digging around, but this is good as well. How many drives started with the defense forcing a turnover or on downs. Dallas' D did the offense no favors. The Redskins had 31 drives start off turnovers, Seahawks 33. I don't think you can discuss the young QBs w/o looking at how much harder it was for Luck, who had 13

Luck had 7 drives start in opponent territory. Redskins 19, SEA 26.

The play counts for the 49ers top players are obscene. They never come off the field. Sando asked Baalke about it and Baalke got defensive, saying it wasn't that they weren't drafting the right guys, it's that the coaches weren't playing young players.
Right but why is that a problem is my point? If the players are healthy and doing their job, there's little reason to throw a rookie out there outside of rotation. I'm not sure how much rotation there is in the linebacking corp (watching the Niners, Willis and Bowman are on the field a ton) or the front line but if the players are generally healthy, they have the luxury of sitting their young guys and letting them develop.

It just seems like a stupid question to ask a GM. The GM isn't there to coach or hand out play count amongst players.

Just digging around, but this is good as well. How many drives started with the defense forcing a turnover or on downs. Dallas' D did the offense no favors. The Redskins had 31 drives start off turnovers, Seahawks 33. I don't think you can discuss the young QBs w/o looking at how much harder it was for Luck, who had 13

You're right, that seems like a very important angle to consider in that argument. Even Tannehill had it a lot easier than Luck with 16 drives started in opponent territory (although 2 or 3 of those may have been Moore in one of the Jets games). And seeing the Colts at dead last is pretty crazy as well.

The Dolphins were 27th in number of drives started after a turnover, which is something that Ireland and Philbin really took to heart this offseason. Part of the reason Sean Smith was let go was because of how many INT's he dropped, and picking Dion Jordan at #3 overall was also somewhat in response to that issue. On top of that they went out and got some faster, more dynamic LB's and drafted three DB's. If the number of takeaways doesn't improve drastically this year Ireland has failed big time.

squicken

You're right, that seems like a very important angle to consider in that argument. Even Tannehill had it a lot easier than Luck with 16 drives started in opponent territory (although 2 or 3 of those may have been Moore in one of the Jets games). And seeing the Colts at dead last is pretty crazy as well.

As much as we make fun of Brees, his team had absolutely no help from the defense, had consistently awful field position, and yet they still scored a lot of points

As much as we make fun of Brees, his team had absolutely no help from the defense, had consistently awful field position, and yet they still scored a lot of points
Yep, noticed that as well. This thing is so fun, it's like a random fact generator. Such as:

Did you know the Jaguars scored on 80% of drives coming off of opposing INT's?

So 9ers and Cards had the best starting field position last year and the Eagles had the worst. The Eagles stat isnt surprising at all, they forced almost no TO's and they gave up a ton of 1st downs.

Edit: I see that the Saints were even worse in starting position.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
VegasInsider.com has some interesting predictions/outlooks for all teams based on a bunch of variables. For the Lions, I selectively quoted some positives:

Despite being 4-12, the Lions were only outscored by an average of just four points per game and this is a talented team that could be a strong candidate for a rebound season.

The Lions certainly look like a team that should improve on last season’s ugly record, but whether they will improve enough to buy this coaching staff another season remains questionable in a very tough division.

Detroit Lions 2013 Schedule Numbers:
2013 Opponents Win Percentage in 2012: .539
Games vs. 2012 Playoff Teams: 7 (four home, three away)
Miles Traveled for 8 road/neutral games: 5,125
Back-to-Back road game sets: 3
Primetime Games: 2 (one Thanksgiving, one Monday)

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/story.cfm/story/1402149

It's going to be a bloodbath to make the NFC playoffs this year.

squicken

So 9ers and Cards had the best starting field position last year and the Eagles had the worst. The Eagles stat isnt surprising at all, they forced almost no TO's and they gave up a ton of 1st downs.

Edit: I see that the Saints were even worse in starting position.

But if you just look at drives where the offense started inside its own 25, New Orleans had the highest TD percentage. How much impact is Sean Payton going to have wrt the offense, when they are already so good w/o him?

The top 10 teams in starting field position:

9ers
Cards
Cowboys
Bucs
Chiefs
Broncos
Jets
Chargers
Bills
Giants

Only 2 made the playoffs. Guess that stat isnt anywhere near as important as "experts" make it out to be.

Edit:

6 of the top 10 defensive field position teams made the playoffs.

That's an awesome link, squicken.
Personally I've never thought Sonic was any good, even in the 16 bit era.

That's why Sega has had such a hard time with it - nowhere to go with the mechanics.
I still think the original 4/5 16bit games were great. Momentum works as a game play mechanic.

But everything else in the franchise is complete garbage.

brentech

My contribution.

Offense down by 7 or less, has ball, with 5 minutes or less remaining. Can't get points.
In 2012, any team vs. any team, in the fourth quarter, 5:00 or less remaining, ended with Fumble, Interception, Downs, Safety or End of Game, scoring margin is between -7 and -1, sorted by game date ascending

Same circumstances, but the offense succeeded......and the team still managed to lose. (Packers @ Indy =(
Happened twice to the bucs, and once to a handful of teams.

Then the happy version where the team gets the points and wins. Surprisingly not many of those.

Top Bottom