• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

post it here.

you will get way more money from us than the local gaming store.

In fact if you are going to sell it there you may as well keep it.

They won't give you shit for it and you would stand to make a lot more if you sold it individually on eBay.

I thought about that but with shipping and the fees from paypal/ebay unless I sell most of it in bulk it's not worth it.

ShaneB

I just released I don't really care about gaming anymore, I'm selling a ton of my shit tomorrow.

It was me wasn't it? With the trades in and getting a Maddenstation 4? :p

I realized a long time ago I didn't need 98% of the gaming crap I have anymore. I traded in the bulk of my games ages ago for Steam Wallet funds which were mainly used to buy games for other people, and a few games I haven't ever played yet.

And the other day I cleaned up the clutter around my tv and traded in those consoles and picked up a console pretty much solely to play Madden. It came with 2 Last of Us remastered vouchers, and I'm still debating what to do with those since I won't ever play it.

More suspensions:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Vikings WR Jerome Simpson is being suspended 3 games, per a league source.

This means more catches for Cordarrelle Patterson! Good things for me in the SiF league!

It was me wasn't it? With the trades in and getting a Maddenstation 4? :p

I realized a long time ago I didn't need 98% of the gaming crap I have anymore. I traded in the bulk of my games ages ago for Steam Wallet funds which were mainly used to buy games for other people, and a few games I haven't ever played yet.

And the other day I cleaned up the clutter around my tv and traded in those consoles and picked up a console pretty much solely to play Madden. It came with 2 Last of Us remastered vouchers, and I'm still debating what to do with those since I won't ever play it.

This means more catches for Cordarrelle Patterson! Good things for me in the SiF league!

lol you definitely pushed me over the edge although I won't use it towards a new console, I really should get rid of all that clutter that I'm never going to play.

Let's do this, top 5 Halo 2 maps.

1. Ascension
2. Sanctuary
3. Zanzibar
4. Ivory Tower
5. Coagulation

Lockout is pretty cool, though.

1. Zanzibar
2. Ivory Tower
3. Lockout
4. Midship
5. Ascension

Cant wait to play some neutral bomb assault on Zanzibar again.

Edit: If we include DLC maps then Turf would be on my list as well.

bionic77

Welcome fellow kinect lover!
I was never against Kinect.

Never played any software for it worth a damn though. Nintendo has that advantage that no matter how whacky their console or innovation you will always get some kickass software for it.

The shit I tried for Kinect waaaaaay back in the day all felt like shit.

Have not tried the new one or even an Xbone yet. Have also not played a WiiU beyond like 3 minutes at a Target once. So I can't really comment on Kinect 2 or the WiiU pad.

bionic77

I thought about that but with shipping and the fees from paypal/ebay unless I sell most of it in bulk it's not worth it.
It is a pain in the ass but you are going to get raped so hard by videogame stores that you may as well give it away to some kids who will appreciate it.

ShaneB

lol you definitely pushed me over the edge although I won't use it towards a new console, I really should get rid of all that clutter that I'm never going to play.

Yeah, understandable. I'm glad to have gotten rid of everything.

I had 2 options, try and sell the consoles via kijiji or something and get some cash, and maybe put it towards a new pc, but who knows how long that could've taken. Or just do it all in one shot via Ebgames and get a new box to play Madden and whatever else might be an option.

A new pc would've been nice since I currently just use my laptop via hdmi to my TV when I want to stream music, NFL Gamepass, movies/netflix, video content, etc etc, I guess the trade in with the ps4 at least gives me an option for some games like Madden and Hot Shots golf when I want those options. I'm happy with the choice in either case. The PS4 is an easy sell if it comes to that as well.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2014-miami-dolphins-1628112669

The only thing people remember is BULLYING.

ed:
Somehow, it gets worse. The Dolphins also took a PR hit when they allegedly fired a scout for taking time off to care for his cystic fibrosis-stricken wife. They allegedly traded a player for trying to take paternity leave. And Mike Pouncey still keeps a framed Aaron Hernandez jersey in his house.

:jnc I didn't even hear about the first two before

jakncoke

Banned
Fruit Ninja station at Chucky Cheese is the best Fruit Ninja you can do. It made the trip worth having to put up with 50 kids as my exs niece ran around playing games and with the other satans

bionic77

Fruit Ninja station at Chucky Cheese is the best Fruit Ninja you can do. It made the trip worth having to put up with 50 kids as my exs niece ran around playing games and with the other satans
I stick to the basketball games at any of those places or where they have games because they rarely have real arcade games anymore.

Probably hard to get kids to pay for this shit when half of the brats carry a phone or tablet with them everywhere.

Colasante

Vic Tafur says there's a 100% chance that Derek Carr starts week 1 for the Raiders. Matt McGloin has also looked good this preseason. So why again did Reggie McKenzie trade a 6th round pick for Matt Schaub and guarantee him $8 million?

Vic Tafur says there's a 100% chance that Derek Carr starts week 1 for the Raiders. Matt McGloin has also looked good this preseason. So why again did Reggie McKenzie trade a 6th round pick for Matt Schaub and guarantee him $8 million?

No way he could have known that either a rookie or McGloin would look good so he was trying to hedge his bets. Of course he fucked up when he picked Schaub to be that guy.

eznark

Banned

Eh, it's worth a shot. A sixth round pick has very little value and the Raiders have $13m in cap space even with the $8 to Schaub.

Are you telling mere there isn't a world where you forsee McGloin and Carr stepping all over their dicks this off-season? I'd say that was as likely as not.

Schaub wasn't any worse than McGloin was last year and he has been significantly better as recently as 2012. It was a fine no-risk trade.

McGloin was better than Schaub last year though.

Everyone was better then Schaub last year. Maybe they thought a change of scenery would do him good. He also had elbow problems, maybe they thought that would heal up and he would be better. A 6th is super low risk for a potential starting QB.

Bowser

Eh, it's worth a shot. A sixth round pick has very little value and the Raiders have $13m in cap space even with the $8 to Schaub.

Are you telling mere there isn't a world where you forsee McGloin and Carr stepping all over their dicks this off-season? I'd say that was as likely as not.

I don't think it was a bad idea to bring in another QB.

I think it was a bad idea to trade a pick (even a 6th) and guarantee so much money to a guy who is clearly done.

Vick, Sanchez, McCown, Shaun Hill, all of those guys are better stop gap options and got way less than $8m guaranteed this offseason and wouldn't have cost them a pick to boot.

eznark

Banned
I don't think it was a bad idea to bring in another QB.

I think it was a bad idea to trade a pick (even a 6th) and guarantee so much money to a guy who is clearly done.

Vick, Sanchez, McCown, Shaun Hill, all of those guys are better stop gap options and got way less than $8m guaranteed this offseason.

NFL money is meaningless except for it's opportunity cost. Since the Raiders had $22m in cap space and there wasn't $15m worth of assets they wanted to bring in, taking Schaub's salary is essentially a completely meaning cost.

Bowser

NFL money is meaningless except for it's opportunity cost. Since the Raiders had $22m in cap space and there wasn't $15m worth of assets they wanted to bring in, taking Schaub's salary is essentially a completely meaning cost.

Ok fine. Salary aside, I still maintain getting one of those guys would have been better for them than Schaub. Vick would bring some potential excitement and maybe ticket sales. Sanchez, I believe, is a better reclamation project. McCown and Hill are viable, average (to above average, in McCown's case) starters, better than Schaub at least.

The point is, they know Schaub wasn't going to be anything more than a stop gap. But if all they were looking for was a stop gap, there were better options on the free agent market rather than giving up a pick, even a late round one.

Everyone was better then Schaub last year. Maybe they thought a change of scenery would do him good. He also had elbow problems, maybe they thought that would heal up and he would be better. A 6th is super low risk for a potential starting QB.

Yeah, it was a low-risk high reward thing. I think they'd figure if he was really that bad they can throw McGloin in, or make him fight for the spot. They were also planning on drafting a QB so it really wasn't that bad.

eznark

Banned
Jesus Christ guys, in 2012 Schaub was 22/12 while completing 64% of his passes. Even last year he was completing over 61%.

If you want to tell me that Sanchez is a better quarterback than Matt Schaub please lead with that so I can know that you aren't a serious human.

In his last year of action Sanchez was significantly worse than Schaub's bad year last year. It's an idiotic claim.

Colasante

The idea that spending $8 million on Matt Schaub is okay because Reggie McKenzie couldn't find anything else worth spending that on is insane. He's supposed to be a talent evaluator and he can't find a single free agent more worthy of that money? McGloin looked better than Schaub last season. Terrelle Pryor looked better than Schaub last season. Both were on the roster and both were cheap. Mark Sanchez ($2.25M guaranteed), Michael Vick ($4M guaranteed), and Josh McCown ($4.75M guaranteed) were all available without draft pick compensation and for less guaranteed money, and they all played better than Schaub last season (Sanchez in 2012) and all have higher upside than Schaub. The trade was a horrible, indefensible idea from every possible angle.

i don't think it's a good idea for derek carr to start week 1. people get too worked up over meaningless pre-season games. shoob is a veteran and has had success in the league

bionic77

Jesus Christ guys, in 2012 Schaub was 22/12 while completing 64% of his passes. Even last year he was completing over 61%.

If you want to tell me that Sanchez is a better quarterback than Matt Schaub please lead with that so I can know that you aren't a serious human.

In his last year of action Sanchez was significantly worse than Schaub's bad year last year. It's an idiotic claim.
I don't remember much of Sanchez last year but is it possible to play worse than Schaub did last year?

All I remember of him was TAINT after TAINT after TAINT.

Ok fine. Salary aside, I still maintain getting one of those guys would have been better for them than Schaub. Vick would bring some potential excitement and maybe ticket sales. Sanchez, I believe, is a better reclamation project. McCown and Hill are viable, average (to above average, in McCown's case) starters, better than Schaub at least.

The point is, they know Schaub wasn't going to be anything more than a stop gap. But if all they were looking for was a stop gap, there were better options on the free agent market rather than giving up a pick, even a late round one.

Sanchez has said that he had offers from other teams but specifically chose the Eagles because he wanted to work in Chip's offense. It is possible that the Raiders were one of those teams and he didnt like the situation there for what ever reason.

Bowser

At least Sanchez still has an arm. Schaub can't throw a deep ball anymore. His arm strength is sapped and his confidence is gone. Defenders know he can't throw deep and/or outside the numbers anymore, so they just sit on all the short routes and break on the ball. That's why he was throwing TAINTs left and right last year.

Schaub's best days are behind him and he has no upside.

eznark

Banned
I don't necessarily disagree there, but it was worth giving him a shot at no real cost. McCown was going to Tampa so even if you wanted him, he was going with Lovie. Vick is a worse Pryor at this point. I think McKenzie wanted a QB who played the right way.

The idea that spending $8 million on Matt Schaub is okay because Reggie McKenzie couldn't find anything else worth spending that on is insane. He's supposed to be a talent evaluator and he can't find a single free agent more worthy of that money? McGloin looked better than Schaub last season. Terrelle Pryor looked better than Schaub last season. Both were on the roster and both were cheap. Mark Sanchez ($2.25M guaranteed), Michael Vick ($4M guaranteed), and Josh McCown ($4.75M guaranteed) were all available without draft pick compensation and for less guaranteed money, and they all played better than Schaub last season (Sanchez in 2012) and all have higher upside than Schaub. The trade was a horrible, indefensible idea from every possible angle.

A higher int rate and a lower completion percentage is "looking better?" I really don't follow.

Sanchez's 2012 was significantly worse than Schaub's 2013.

You're a crazy person.

McKenzie still has $14m to spend. Take a look at the market. Where would you have spent it? Good luck convincing people to play in Oakland!

cdyhybrid

Shouldn't throw Carr in there with that shit roster like his brother. Roll with Schoob, improve the roster after the season, and then let Carr start if he beats out Schoob.

I don't necessarily disagree there, but it was worth giving him a shot at no real cost. McCown was going to Tampa so even if you wanted him, he was going with Lovie. Vick is a worse Pryor at this point. I think McKenzie wanted a QB who played the right way.

A higher int rate and a lower completion percentage is "looking better?" I really don't follow.

You're a crazy person.

McKenzie still has $14m to spend. Take a look at the market. Where would you have spent it? Good luck convincing people to play in Oakland!
They can convince people in San Antonio.....

Colasante

You're a crazy person.

He could have franchised LaMarr Houston or Jared Veldheer with the money. He could have chosen to not given Schaub the $8 million and let that carry over into next season. I just see no justification for trading for a quarterback like Schaub. What is the very, very best case scenario with Schaub starting 16 games? 8-8? I'd say even that's too generous at this point.

And for the sake of comparison, in 2012 Mark Sanchez was being switched in and out with Tim Tebow and throwing to Clyde Gates, Chaz Schillens, and Braylon Edwards. Last season, when he wasn't throwing pick sixes Schaub was throwing to Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Even with Sanchez's 2012 tape and his 2013 injury, I would have gone for Sanchez over Schaub, and it's not like Schaub was their last resort- they traded for him on March 23, and Sanchez didn't sign with the Eagles until the 28th. There is really no excuse.

Top Bottom