• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

Striker

He's much too sanguine on the talent on the offensive line if he thinks there's not a deficit of talent. There is a tremendous issue with the line lacking talent. We can parse out plays where there seems to be confusion or hesitancy which we can assume is an issue grappling with the scheme or trusting that the players next to you have mastered the scheme, but there's plenty of instances where guys are getting blown off the ball one-on-one. Not to mention, part of talent is knowing your damn assignments and executing. Sure, the latter is curable in-season whereas we're not going to get the group leveling up in terms of strength or agility, but I don't know how much improvement would come from a better grasp on the assignments. They're still liable to get thrown backwards on a whim.

We're a mess no matter what five you toss out there in front of Elisha.
Doesn't help Jerry went out and signed guys like Charles Brown and John Jerry and expect them to either compete for a job/be top backup material. Geoff Schwartz I can see, although he's at LG when he was always a sturdy player at RG. Then there's banking on the health of Beatty's leg injury and seeing if Walton can be a capable center after a year off and an injury to overcome. It's a series of question marks. I loved them snagging Richburg in the 2nd, though.

The division is ass. And if Philly can't win it, they're about as pathetic as the Lions were last season.

He's much too sanguine on the talent on the offensive line if he thinks there's not a deficit of talent. There is a tremendous issue with the line lacking talent.
We're set to have a first rounder (RT) and two second rounders on the line (LT, LG) in the beginning of the year. That's not to say that we shouldn't invest in a mauling guard ala Chris Snee that can really solidify the interior but Beatty needs to play better, Pugh needs to play better and Richburg (who we drafted at center and will be starting at guard while Schwartz is down) will be getting a trial by fire and needs to play at a high level. We brought in Schwartz in the offseason who is talented. I think we need to move him to his more natural RG position. It made sense to play him at LG when we thought Snee was coming back. That's off the table now, so move him and get either Mosely/Richburg on he left side but do we want to introduce more continuity changes when they are already struggling? I understand Coughlin's hesitance in doing so.

One area I will agree with you on is we have a lack of talent in our offensive line depth. Which is why when one of these guys go down, things just deteriorate quickly. Charles Brown and John Jerry do not inspire confidence. Nor does James Brewer for that matter.

Doesn't help Jerry went out and signed guys like Charles Brown and John Jerry and expect them to either compete for a job/be top backup material. Geoff Schwartz I can see, although he's at LG when he was always a sturdy player at RG. Then there's banking on the health of Beatty's leg injury and seeing if Walton can be a capable center after a year off and an injury to overcome. It's a series of question marks. I loved them snagging Richburg in the 2nd, though.

The division is ass. And if Philly can't win it, they're about as pathetic as the Lions were last season.
John Jerry, a key starter for the o-line that gave up more QB sacks than any team since the Lions in 2006. For you guys' sake I hope he stays far, far away from the starting lineup.

ZetaEpyon

Nice view at the game on Friday, as always.
IMG_20140822_200045.jpg

A good time was had by all.
Except Raji and Tretter.
Shit.

John Jerry, a key starter for the o-line that gave up more QB sacks than any team since the Lions in 2006. For you guys' sake I hope he stays far, far away from the starting lineup.
Brandon Mosely who was starting at RG exited practice with back issues yesterday. John Jerry took his spot. That's where we are right now.

ShaneB

2. Kansas City's offensive line has been an abomination all preseason. Alex Smith was pressured all night, and couldn't find open receivers. There's a lot of Albert Wilson and Frankie Hammond at receiver for the Chiefs. It's a rough looking group.

3. Smith had an ugly performance, with two interceptions and 140 yards on 24 attempts. The Chiefs' starting offense only scored three points in eight drives.

The Around the League takeaways from Saturdays game =( Pretty much on point. Still lots up in the air and now to wait until week 1 to see the impact Jamaal Charles has.

Think I'll be packing up my old consoles this week and selling them/trading them in + plus whatever accessories I can throw together. Selling my arcade stick for 80$ today! Want to join in on the fun and get a Maddenstation 4 I think, so I'll be selling things and searching between the cushions to see how much I can limit paying. I guess it might make sense to just get a MaddenBox bundle if I want to save money.... but ehhh.

Crisco

Banned
So the franchise QB has broken ribs and a not 100% ankle, playing behind a makeshift and unproven offensive line, with one explosive offensive target who happens to be a rookie, one consistently mediocre runningback, one consistently inconsistent runningback, one huge running back, and a great set of tight ends.

Defense better be prepared to play a lot of snaps this year.

Even if Cam's #allinforweek1

I would feel ok about DA starting week 1 in Tampa, that's a game we could win 6-3. Having Cam ready for the week 2 and beyond is more important. Would suck for him though since he's never missed a start.

jakncoke

Banned
Goddamn Chromecast, anyone else having it fuck with your wife WIFI? Finally got it fixed again.

Edit: What in the goddamn shit. I wish I could blame this on a phone, but im on a laptop.

Brandon Mosely who was starting at RG existed practice with back issues yesterday. John Jerry took his spot. That's where we are right now.
Oh boy. Run for your life, Eli!

This was about a week ago:

"We don't have a first-team right guard right now," Philbin said after practice Monday.
And yet there was basically no move to keep Jerry at all when his contract expired. Shows you what the Dolphins thought of him.

Cagey

Banned
Oh boy. Run for your life, Eli!

This was about a week ago:

And yet there was basically no move to keep Jerry at all when his contract expired. Shows you what the Dolphins thought of him.

The Giants don't have a first-team caliber right guard (when Schwartz is assigned to LG, anyway... if he switches back to RG, the problem then applies to LG) and I'm willing to cut him, so...

Crisco

Banned
Derek Anderson is going to start? Close down the bandwagon before a certain gray cat jumps on!

Just speculation, he came back into the game after the injury, so they could technically shoot him up with cortisone and throw him out there with one of those Vick style flak jackets. Would be really dumb to do for week 1 though, hence the thought that DA might start.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 2m

Breaking: The Bucs are bringing Richie Incognito in for a visit today, could sign him if visit goes well.

#BucsCulture

Miguel

Hopefully Mech doesn't see this, but Tom Savage is probably gonna edge Case out soon. The Keenum Magic is fading. Hopefully one of them will supplant Fitzpatrick though. I suspect that's going to go terribly within a month.

effzee

.. Wonder if it will come to UVerse should the acquisition go through

NFL is buying Sunday Ticket?

And speaking of Sunday Ticket, last year I got a free season pass with the purchase of Madden.

What's the best solution this year for folks who root for out of market teams? The Euro VPN game pass option? Did that even work?

eznark

Banned
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

He'd basically be the best linemen on your team right now.

Surprised only 6% of the players essentially said they don't want to live in Green Bay for 9 months. Would've guessed it was way higher. Maybe NFL players are less "me first" than I thought.

effzee

Division is ass because none of the teams play a lick of defense.

Philly doesn't have it in the bag. DeSean is gone and his place we have an unproven rookie. Maclin wasn't part of the team with Foles last season. Sproles is nice but old. Still our offense should be fine so long as McCoy stays healthy.

Our D is worse than what the Giants will field. In fact I think Giants will have the best D in the divison. And it still wouldn't shock me if Redskins or Giants win the division based on strength of schedule and rebounding after terrible seasons. Eli is not going to play as bad no matter what Oline they have.

Top Bottom