• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

Impressive so far, didn't think he'd be ready to start honestly. Seems like the Oline has come together much better then I though with the absence of Pouncey, even shelly smith seems solid now. Looks like Daniel Thomas is on the wait out too, slowly we are getting rid of the Ireland stench lol
This got me thinking, I wonder how much is left of Ireland's draft picks?

2008: 0 players
2009: 1 player: Brian Hartline
2010: 3 players: Jared Odrick, Koa Misi, Reshad Jones (pretty solid draft actually)
2011: 3 players: Mike Pouncey, Charles Clay, Jimmy Wilson (again, not bad)
2012: 4 players: Ryan Tannehill, Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller, Rishard Matthews
2013: 8 players: Dion Jordan, Jamar Taylor, Dallas Thomas, Will Davis, Jelani Jenkins, Dion Sims, Caleb Sturgis, Don Jones

Honestly it's not all that bad. Ireland was kind of a mediocre drafter I'd say, but his biggest weaknesses were drafting effective offensive linemen and making smart decisions regarding FA and player contracts.

I'm glad Hickey looks to be giving the o-line the attention it deserves (and needs).

Need a fantasy player for the Straggler's league. Get in and win!

Might need more, sent out some pm's to the non-joined.

Figuring out what to do with the cat.gif league. I'll do something tonight...

Picked a bad time to get serious with a girl, cramping my football time!
We need more than a few players for our Play or Die also. Any people interested get in our leagues! Join both!

This got me thinking, I wonder how much is left of Ireland's draft picks?

2008: 0 players
2009: 1 player: Brian Hartline
2010: 3 players: Jared Odrick, Koa Misi, Reshad Jones (pretty solid draft actually)
2011: 3 players: Mike Pouncey, Charles Clay, Jimmy Wilson (again, not bad)
2012: 4 players: Ryan Tannehill, Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller, Rishard Matthews
2013: 8 players: Dion Jordan, Jamar Taylor, Dallas Thomas, Will Davis, Jelani Jenkins, Dion Sims, Caleb Sturgis, Don Jones

Honestly it's not all that bad. Ireland was kind of a mediocre drafter I'd say, but his biggest weaknesses were drafting effective offensive linemen and making smart decisions regarding FA and player contracts.

I'm glad Hickey looks to be giving the o-line the attention it deserves (and needs).

My biggest problem with him was the stupid amount of money he spent on the oline only for it to fail and then he just didn't bother addressing it after, especially after getting tannehill well that and trading UP for thomas....idiot.

Browns, Vikings, Cardinals, Ravens announced their cuts:

Ongoing list

Browns

Cuts to get to 75: WR Anthony Armstrong, DB Royce Adams, RB Edwin Baker, OL Randall Harris, DB T.J. Heath, DL Cam Henderson, WR Jonathan Krause, OL Ryan Lee, LB Caleb McSurdy, OL Keavon Milton, LB Keith Pough, WR Tim Smith, OL Jeremiah Warren, TE Martell Webb

Vikings

Cuts to get to 75: S Brandan Bishop, OT Pierce Burton, CB Derek Cox, WR Andy Cruse, WR Kamar Jorden, WR Erik Lora, OT Kevin Murphy, DT Kheeston Randall, DE Tyler Scott, DE Jake Snyder, TE Kory Sperry, CB Robert Steeples, WR Ty Walker

Cardinals

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/25/max-starks-and-ryan-lindley-out-in-arizona/

The Cardinals have made their way to 75 players by dropping 13 players.

Among that baker’s dozen are three veterans. Kicker Jay Feely is out after losing the kicking competition and the team has also announced that tackle Max Starks and quarterback Ryan Lindley will join him in a search for new employers.

Starks signed with the team early this month, but wasn’t able to displace starting right tackle Bobby Massie or the team’s other options for the swing tackle role behind Massie and left tackle Jared Veldheer. Starks, who turned 32 this year, is coming off a year that saw him play two games for the Rams and could be nearing the end of the line after a long run with the Steelers.

The writing was on the wall for Lindley with the addition of Logan Thomas in the draft. Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton held the first two spots on the depth chart and Thomas will slot in behind them while Lindley tries to land a reserve spot elsewhere in the league.

Linebacker Keenan Clayton, linebacker JoJo Dickson, center Tom Draheim, wide receiver Reggie Dunn, linebacker Derrell Johnson, safety Orhian Johnson, wide receiver Kevin Ozier, defensive tackle Justin Renfrow, cornerback Brandon Sermons and running back Damien Thigpen have also been released.

Ravens

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/25/ravens-get-to-75-man-roster-limit-with-15-moves/

The Ravens knocked 15 names off the roster Monday, including the release of safety Omar Brown and wide receiver LaQuan Williams.

They waived eight other players, including outside linebacker Nicholas DiMarco, punter Richie Leone, tackle David Mims, cornerbacks Marrio Norman and Deji Olaytoye, linebacker Austin Spitler, wide receiver Mike Willie and running back Cierre Wood.

They also waived-injured fullback Shaun Chapas and tackle Brent Van Sloten, and placed defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore, guard Will Rackley and defensive end Brent Urban on injured reserve.

Those moves get them down to the 75-player limit a day ahead of the league’s deadline.

My biggest problem with him was the stupid amount of money he spent on the oline only for it to fail and then he just didn't bother addressing it after, especially after getting tannehill well that and trading UP for thomas....idiot.
Yeah, true. I am glad he is gone and Hickey already seems like a smart replacement. Way too early to tell of course but early signs are positive.

Gigglepoo

Jeff Fisher said:
I took this job for two reasons: Mr. [Stan] Kroenke, the owner, and Sam, a really good starting quarterback.

WHAT!?

Bradford was a pretty decent quarterback (when healthy), but that's just nuts. There's no reason to lie, Jeff.

eznark

Banned
WHAT!?

Bradford was pretty decent quarterback (when healthy), but that's just nuts. There's no reason to lie, Jeff.

vince-young-football-headshot-photo.jpg

It's all about perspective.

Yeah and if the FA pick ups this year work out I'll like him even more, what do you think about the LBs experiment?
I'm not really sold on the personnel but I like the thinking behind it. I think Ellerbee made it pretty clear last season that he isn't cut out to be a MLB in a 4-3 so moving him to the outside should increase his effectiveness. I don't really know what to think of Misi at MLB to be honest. Seems like a temporary solution at best as he's not great in coverage.

I think the run defense will be improved this season but I don't know about pass d. I still see the Dolphins struggling to cover TE's and RB's. Wheeler looked like an idiot trying to tackle Murray in space on one play Saturday.

Did Tebow get drafted in the shirtless league? If not then SiF >>>>> #shirtless

I still have no clue how the hell he is even draft eligible jnc

We finally moved on from Feely at kicker, I'll always remember fondly the game where he single handily outscored the entire other team (I want to say it was Denver). Too bad Lindley didn't play well enough for us to trade him for a late pick. Only reason he got any time over Thomas but the guy blew. Logan Thomas future in 2016!

I still have no clue how the hell he is even draft eligible jnc

We finally moved on from Feely at kicker, I'll always remember fondly the game where he single handily outscored the entire other team (I want to say it was Denver). Too bad Lindley didn't play well enough for us to trade him for a late pick. Only reason he got any time over Thomas but the guy blew. Logan Thomas future in 2016!
How has Thomas looked so far this preseason? I was always extremely critical of him at VT and I never thought he had much of a future in the NFL but I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Remember how awful the AFC East was going to be? It's going to be even worse

@KimJonesSports
NYJ: John Idzik says CB Dimitri Patterson has been suspended indefinitely & team will "gather more information on what led to his behavior."

To recap, 2 of the top 3 CBs on the Jets are hurt. And the third has gone AWOL and is being punished by the team with an indefinite suspension. The team has exactly 2 CBs left, both really bad, but somebody's gotta start Week 1.

hiryu

It's not just one year or one draft. They've been treading water for years waiting for Bradford to develop, and no one ever considered a plan b. It's ludicrous.

Yeah, it was pretty stupid on their part. They never even tried to push him, like they were afraid to offend him or something.

@KimJonesSports
NYJ: John Idzik says CB Dimitri Patterson has been suspended indefinitely & team will "gather more information on what led to his behavior."

To recap, 2 of the top 3 CBs on the Jets are hurt. And the third has gone AWOL and is being punished by the team with an indefinite suspension. The team has exactly 2 CBs left, both really bad, but somebody's gotta start Week 1.
What in the world is going on with Patterson? So weird...

Don't worry about the AFC East, Dolphins and Pats have it under control.

Talon

lol at a team allowing that
A friend of mine was at a Halloween party in Minneapolis, and at least three Vikings players (Jared Allen included) showed up. This was on a Saturday, and they played the next day in Philly.

So, whatever. It could just be Childress having no balls, but it at least happens.

Fox318

@KimJonesSports

meanwhile the Jets have 20 million dollars of cap room left

eznark

Banned
A friend of mine was at a Halloween party in Minneapolis, and at least three Vikings players (Jared Allen included) showed up. This was on a Saturday, and they played the next day in Philly.

So, whatever. It could just be Childress having no balls, but it at least happens.

I don't believe this story, unless they were injured.

Yeah surprised they didn't try to get in on one of those CBs.
It's especially stupid because Patterson is a huge risk as it is with his health issues. He was supposed to be the no. 2 corner all year for the Dolphins last season but he barely saw the field. The guy just couldn't stay healthy.

@KimJonesSports

Good news for whatever Raiders QB ends up starting week one against the Jets.

bionic77

Why is green bay so high in teams players don't want to play for? The others make sense but what's bad about there?
First lets just look at black players. Many of them are going to want to be around other black people (especially women). That is impossible in Wisconsin. The only black people in Wisconsin play for a professional sports team. So if you don't like your teammates or the guys on the Brewers or Bucks you are fucked when it comes to a social life.

Now lets look at the average NFL player. They are young, reckless and want to have a good time. That usually involves night clubs or attractive women. WI has neither.

Now lets look at the weather and food. It snows 12 months a year there. As far as food, there are 20 different kinds of cheese and all the Natty Ice a man can stomach, but not much for you if you don't like cheese or shitty beer. Wisconsin contributed one thing to popular culture, Laverne and fucking Shirley. That was the high point for the state.

What is so hard to understand about why players or the average human being would not want to live there?

How has Thomas looked so far this preseason? I was always extremely critical of him at VT and I never thought he had much of a future in the NFL but I'd love for him to prove me wrong.
He looked phenomenal in the first game against the Texans, better than he had all training camp actually with a perfect completion rate and went right down the field and scored a TD. He then didn't play in the second game as we played Lindley hoping he'd play well enough to be trade bait (he didn't). Last night Thomas finally played again for just the 4th quarter and he reverted back to looking raw but he had poor protection too. The thing about Thomas is he has the benefit of being a project and doesn't have to be ready yet. I trust Arians and Tom Moore's eye and if they think they can fix him and that it's largely issues with his footing which is correctable, I'll have faith that in two years he can be our guy. Palmer will stay the course in the meantime.
Shirtless = NFL

SiF = CFL

With all the posts you guys commit to announcing your superiority, one might think you were insecure ;)

He looked phenomenal in the first game against the Texans, better than he had all training camp actually with a perfect completion rate and went right down the field and scored a TD. He then didn't play in the second game as we played Lindley hoping he'd play well enough to be trade bait (he didn't). Last night Thomas finally played again for just the 4th quarter and he reverted back to looking raw but he had poor protection too. The thing about Thomas is he has the benefit of being a project and doesn't have to be ready yet. I trust Arians and Tom Moore's eye and if they think they can fix him and that it's largely issues with his footing which is correctable, I'll have faith that in two years he can be our guy. Palmer will stay the course in the meantime.
Yeah, he is definitely a project type guy. As far as raw physical talent he definitely has it, he's cut from the same mold as a guy like Ben Roethlisberger in terms of size, strength, and arm strength. The problem is none of that ever translated very well to playing QB in college. His accuracy has always been wildly inconsistent and he struggles with decision making, on top of quite a few other issues.

I guess the hope is that his flaws are more of a product of bad QB coaching at VT (very possible) than his natural skill ceiling. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Top Bottom