• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

BigAT

Eric Macramalla ‏@EricOnSportsLaw 7m

While 2nd offence is life banishment, player can apply for reinstatement after 1 year but "no assurance that the petition will be granted"

Isn't this effectively how the current NFL drug punishment functions for the third offense? I'm pretty sure all players that receive a 1-year suspension aren't automatically back in afterward, they have to apply for reinstatement.

Draxal

Sorry Draxal, but I don't see how that prohibits him from getting involved in conflicts that involve the players, particularly when the issues are unprecedented. When the commissioner was rampaging all over Harrison and the Steelers in '10 numerous players said they never heard so much as a peep from Smith on their behalf. Ditto the Saints until near the end.

This is why they need arbitration, especially if they're going to be slow to introduce penalties for infractions ahead of time.

Instead Lord Goddell comes down from on high and assigns you an offense number based on how much you or your representatives lick his balls.

Having such a transient player base means the union will be incredibly weak compared to the other sports leagues. Its usually the long time vets who are the strongest union reps.

The NFLPA was weak under DeMaurice Smith, they were weak under Upshaw, and they were weak under Garvey.

I know but you are like the only one except for the Hoodie Fidelas guy who only posts when they actually win.
Hell nah I post all the time. Can't remember when we had a winning record!! :jnc

E: I'm looking forward to Bishop playing. That and Jacob playing majority of the season

Fox318

Jb7vHkx.png

JABEE

It's good that they're instituting stricter punishments for domestic abuse incidents, but isn't it awfully convenient that this letter is sent out or leaked to the public the day after the Gordon suspension when the common refrain was "you lose an entire season for smoking weed, but you only get two games for beating your girlfriend."

I guess Goodell wanted to try to address it while these suspensions were still hot topics.

Nori Chan

Got a question of whether or not I should pull the trade. The trade is Zac Stacy, Pierre Garcon, and Mike Evans for Golden Tate, Doug Martin, and Knowshon Moreno

Michael Floyd
Ty Hilton
Golden tate
Dwayne bowe
Jericho cotchery

Marshawn lynch
Doug Martin
Cj spiller
Knowshon Moreno
Steven Ridley
Donald brown

eznark

Banned
It's good that they're instituting stricter punishments for domestic abuse incidents, but isn't it awfully convenient that this letter is sent out or leaked to the public the day after the Gordon suspension when the common refrain was "you lose an entire season for smoking weed, but you only get two games for beating your girlfriend."

I guess Goodell wanted to try to address it while these suspensions were still hot topics.

Now is when he should be addressing the situation, so yeah I guess it's convenient?

Spinluck

It's just now hitting me that we have zero depth everywhere except WR and TE, and that this will just be another year of Luck carrying a shit team.

Important to note

Mark Dominik ‏@MarkdominikESPN 6m
The new policy certainly covers domestic violence, but also covers ALL personal conduct: Assaults, battery, weapons, etc it's significant

Also, Greg Hardy may be fucked. But that will probably be a headache for another team to deal with.

cdyhybrid

Isn't this effectively how the current NFL drug punishment functions for the third offense? I'm pretty sure all players that receive a 1-year suspension aren't automatically back in afterward, they have to apply for reinstatement.

I believe you are correct.

It's just now hitting me that we have zero depth everywhere except WR and TE, and that this will just be another year of Luck carrying a shit team.

Isn't the QB carrying a shit roster a Colts tradition at this point?

Important to note

Mark Dominik ‏@MarkdominikESPN 6m
The new policy certainly covers domestic violence, but also covers ALL personal conduct: Assaults, battery, weapons, etc it's significant

Also, Greg Hardy may be fucked. But that will probably be a headache for another team to deal with.

Aldon Smith had a good run.

JABEE

Now is when he should be addressing the situation, so yeah I guess it's convenient?
You're right. He would have to address it sometime before the season started.

I think they needed the Gordon case to be answered before this new policy could come out.

Hell yeah I am

Never followed the Jags before, but I was a big fan of Gerhart when he was a Viking. A solid back that was playing behind one of the greatest that will ever play the position. Typical shitty-ass Bill Musgrave never utilized him enough in that offense, but he's a strong back that really progresses through a game with each carry.

I'm anxious to see Toby get a chance to shine as a #1 on a team, so I hope he does well for you guys. :)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880670.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Metal Sonic & Outrun DLC -- MB-5378803575CEF83C - Taken by Vyroxis. 1 entrants total.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-6D06CEC1399556DC - Taken by BigAT. 1 entrants total.
What will happen first: The Lakers learn how to play basketball or Stafford learns how to diet?

t1409266404z1.png

bionic77

Ben's accuser went into Goodell's office and pleaded on his behalf for him not to be punished?
Why hasn't Rodgers been punished for punching a stomach cancer victim in the stomach for asking for free autograph?

Ray had a really strong reputation before that, and Ben had a toxic reputation (which I think has now totally rebounded and now better before that). These reps do matter (see the Brandon Merriweather suspension).
What? This makes no sense.

Who gives a fuck what your reputation is. Sandusky also had a great reputation but he is serving life in prison because there was a lot of evidence that he was a child molester.

These kind of punishments should be based on the evidence. I am not a lawyer but I would imagine that video evidence is probably pretty persuasive in a courtroom and should be similarly persuasive with the NFL.

Greatest play of all time in a Superbowl.

cdyhybrid

Never followed the Jags before, but I was a big fan of Gerhart when he was a Viking. A solid back that was playing behind one of the greatest that will ever play the position. Typical shitty-ass Bill Musgrave never utilized him enough in that offense, but he's a strong back that really progresses through a game with each carry.

I'm anxious to see Toby get a chance to shine as a #1 on a team, so I hope he does well for you guys. :)

:jnc

Bowser

Wtf is up with all this fantasy football talk?

Ah yes, no fantasy talk, but yes let's talk about Champions League in this thread.

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880670.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Metal Sonic & Outrun DLC -- MB-5378803575CEF83C - Taken by Vyroxis. 1 entrants total.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-6D06CEC1399556DC - Taken by BigAT. 1 entrants total.
What will happen first: The Lakers learn how to play basketball or Stafford learns how to diet?

t1409266404z1.png

1363863597925139587.GIF

(^@^)

Narag

Luck is so good he doesnt need much around him. The Colts will still win that division no problem.

Yeah but it's just an extension of the Manning era where they can get into the playoffs no problem but have issues proceeding since the QB can't do it all.

Having such a transient player base means the union will be incredibly weak compared to the other sports leagues. Its usually the long time vets who are the strongest union reps.

The NFLPA was weak under DeMaurice Smith, they were weak under Upshaw, and they were weak under Garvey.

I don't recall Upshaw being as...nonexistent on player issues though. Granted I didn't follow PA issues as closely then.

bionic77

Luck is so good he doesnt need much around him. The Colts will still win that division no problem.
Luck is great but he will only win the division by default because of how shitty it is.

His team is not good enough to win against good teams consistently. They need more talent. Be interesting to see how good they get if that ever happens.

Bowser

Luck is great but he will only win the division by default because of how shitty it is.

His team is not good enough to win against good teams consistently. They need more talent. Be interesting to see how good they get if that ever happens.

I envy Indy. Time and again, we've seen that all you need to do is make it to the playoffs and give yourself a chance. Once you're in the playoffs, whether you're a 14 win team or a 9 win team, all bets are off. I wish Carolina was in a shit sandwich division like the AFC South which basically guarantees us a playoff spot year after year.

bionic77

I envy Indy. Time and again, we've seen that all you need to do is make it to the playoffs and give yourself a chance. Once you're in the playoffs, whether you're a 14 win team or a 9 win team, all bets are off. I wish Carolina was in a shit sandwich division like the AFC South which basically guarantees us a playoff spot year after year.
Yeah being in shitty division really is a godsend in the NFL as a fan.

Draxal

What? This makes no sense.

Who gives a fuck what your reputation is. Sandusky also had a great reputation but he is serving life in prison because there was a lot of evidence that he was a child molester.

These kind of punishments should be based on the evidence. I am not a lawyer but I would imagine that video evidence is probably pretty persuasive in a courtroom and should be similarly persuasive with the NFL.

Greatest play of all time in a Superbowl.

This isn't the court of law or an arbitrator, it's the court of Roger Goodell.

Spinluck

You still have to have talent that plays up to or past their potential to win.

Despite making it there with good records the Colts have not proven that they have that kind of team. It took a herculean effort from Luck to drag the Colts back against the Chiefs last year.

When the Steelers/Colts/Giants/Packers won theirs respective QBs were the finishing touch to their run, not the whole freaking show.

Bowser

You still have to have talent that plays up to or past their potential to win.

Despite making it there with good records the Colts have not proven that they have that kind of team. It took a herculean effort from Luck to drag the Colts back against the Chiefs last year.

When the Steelers/Colts/Giants/Packers won theirs respective QBs were the finishing touch to their run, not the whole freaking show.

Like I said, you never know what will happen when you get in. Case in point, didn't both the Colts and Giants have one of, if not the worst, regular season run defenses in the league in the years they won the Super Bowl? Then they got into the playoffs and magically they became competent.

Like I said, you never know what will happen when you get in. Case in point, didn't both the Colts and Giants have one of, if not the worst, regular season run defenses in the league in the years they won the Super Bowl? Then they got into the playoffs and magically they became competent.

Can't say anything about the Colts, but the Giants were sleepwalking that year. They were expected to be much better than they were.

This is my personal opinion, but I don't feel the current Colts have anywhere near the talent those two teams had, particularly on defense.

Draxal

I don't recall Upshaw being as...nonexistent on player issues though. Granted I didn't follow PA issues as closely then.

Upshaw was a complete pushover; not that your criticism of Smith isn't valid. It's just that when players aren't the best financial planners, who couldn't survive a lockout/strike; it really hamstrings the negotiating power of that union.

cdyhybrid

Didn't the Colts only win that year because Bob Sanders stayed healthy for multiple games in a row and single-handedly gave them a defense?

Bowser

Can't say anything about the Colts, but the Giants were sleepwalking that year. They were expected to be much better than they were.

This is my personal opinion, but I don't feel the current Colts have anywhere near the talent those two teams had, particularly on defense.

You do realize the 2006 Colts were one of the worst defenses in history, right?

What the Colts defense did in the 2006 playoffs is truly remarkable. They didn’t end the season on a particularly good note going 2-3 in December while allowing 363 yards per game in that stretch. The big difference between December and the playoffs? In those 5 regular season games, the Colts managed only a combined 5 takeaways. Once the playoffs started, it was a different story with Indianapolis getting 13 takeaways in 4 games. Furthermore, they forced 21 punts in those 4 playoff games. In the entire regular season, they only forced 47. Key 3rd down stops and takeaways are the two biggest elements of a great defense and in the 2006 playoffs, Indianapolis’ defense managed to get both – despite struggling mightily from September-December.

http://pick256.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/the-worst-defense-to-ever-win-a-super-bowl-the-2006-colts/

All that to say, if you can get into the playoffs, you've got a decent chance to produce some magic, even with roster holes, given the single game elimination nature of the playoffs.

Giants defense in 2011 didn't become competent, they allowed a little over 14 point per game in the playoffs that season. They became pretty dominant.

They were the 28th ranked defense in the league that year up until that point. Years later I still don't know when/how that switch over happened.:)

Upshaw was a complete pushover; not that your criticism of Smith isn't valid. It's just that when players aren't the best financial planners, who couldn't survive a lockout/strike; it really hamstrings the negotiating power of that union.

Right, but i'm talking about more day to day issues here. Granted Tags was never the overlord Goodell is but I remember player disputes at very least being acknowledged by the PA under Upshaw. Conversely the only time I remember Smith exists is when someone mentions him by name in an article or on TV, which isn't often.

Top Bottom