• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
gol15.jpg

Smells like tacos!

KuoNd.jpg

Nightz

lol

Antonio Cromartie: I’m the second-best receiver on the Jets
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT
Antonio Cromartie, Eron Riley AP

Antonio Cromartie is still listed as a cornerback, and not a wide receiver. But Cromartie says that if the Jets go through with plans to give him an extensive role in the offense, he’ll be the second-best receiver on the team.

Cromartie said today on ESPN First Take that if he has to rank himself within the Jets’ receiving corps, he’d say he’s the No. 2 option on the team.

“I think I’d put myself as second,” Cromartie said. “I haven’t really played it in the past four or five years, but I can put myself as the second just with raw ability and talent going out there, I think, me separating and being a more physical guy out there on the outside.”

Santonio Holmes is the Jets’ No. 1 receiver, but Cromartie apparently thinks he’s better than the team’s other receivers, including Chaz Schilens, Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill.

“Kerley is a more of a slot receiver, he’s a slot guy,” Cromartie said. “Stephen Hill is a younger guy that can get down the field. I think, for me, I can run every single route in the route tree. I’m not going to take anything away from my ability, so when you ask me that question, I’m going to say, yes, I believe I’m one of the best receivers on the football team, next to Santonio Holmes.”

Jets preseason games will be interesting to watch this year, not just to keep tabs on Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, but to see whether Cromartie gets some opportunities on offense to back up his high opinion of himself.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Uh oh, Peter King's on the Niner wagon now:

I looked out and saw a legitimate Super Bowl contender. The NFC's best defense in 2011 -- the stingiest in both yards and points allowed -- was back intact. How often does a top defense in the Free Agency Era return all 11 starters? The Niners are doing it.

There were times, many times, I never thought I'd see all things Niner hum so smoothly. For eight years before last season, San Francisco hadn't had a winning season. The team kept butting its head against walls trying to get a new stadium built in and around San Francisco. But York, in charge here since late 2008, kept at it and finally got the shovels in the ground in Santa Clara. He hired Baalke, a Bill Parcells disciple, and wooed Harbaugh after his Orange Bowl season at Stanford, and now the personnel and coaching side seem to be set for a few years.

Short-term the 49ers might be limited by the passing game, though Baalke has upgraded Alex Smith's options (Moss, Mario Manningham) in the offseason. Long-term this is the best I've felt about the 49ers since Steve Young walked off the field for the last time in 1999. The NFL has long wrung its hands about the three California franchises (and the fourth one it wants to see in Los Angeles someday) because of stadium issues. But scratch one off the list. The NFL shouldn't have any worries about the 49ers for a long time.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'll join any fantasy league. I had fun last year (except when I got beat by a team made up wholely of Tampa Bay players).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

It's like people forget Alex Smith is still their QB.

Mentioned this the other day but a fun nugget from Bill Barnwell on why the 49ers will suck this year, with a more detailed look to come next week:

The Niners improved by a full seven wins last year, going from 6-10 in 2010 to 13-3 during their huge season last year. Ten other teams have made a seven-win leap since the advent of the 16-game season in 1978. They each declined during the subsequent season, winning an average of 4.7 games less than they had during the previous year.

bionic77

Sorry FMT. No SB and perhaps not even any playoffs for you this year.

King's approval is the kiss of death. I know it well!

Now hopefully he picks the Pats to win the SB as well so at least something good can come out of this tragedy.

Mentioned this the other day but a fun nugget from Bill Barnwell on why the 49ers will suck this year, with a more detailed look to come next week:

The Niners improved by a full seven wins last year, going from 6-10 in 2010 to 13-3 during their huge season last year. Ten other teams have made a seven-win leap since the advent of the 16-game season in 1978. They each declined during the subsequent season, winning an average of 4.7 games less than they had during the previous year.

I could definitely see the Niners having a letdown. The defense was historically great last year, and while they'll still be good, it's unreasonable to think that they will put up those kinds of stats again. Picking up Moss was a nice get for them, but he's still a receiver past his prime, who could mentally check out at the first sign of trouble. He won't turn Tiny Hands into a stud, and he won't single-handedly cure their number one problem on offense last year, red zone efficiency. Something something field goals something something.

Thankfully for them, they still have Andy Lee MVP (as much as we joke about it, his contributions to the team last year in terms of his ability to dictate the field position battle were critical) and they're still in the shitfest known as the NFC West. 9-7, 10-6 could win that division for the Niners comfortably.

Sorry FMT. No SB and perhaps not even any playoffs for you this year.

King's approval is the kiss of death. I know it well!

Now hopefully he picks the Pats to win the SB as well so at least something good can come out of this tragedy.

One day you will make up a Patriot fan if you keep having so much hate for them.

squicken

Jones said during a radio interview Tuesday that he hasn’t spoken with wide receiver Dez Bryant since Bryant was hit with a Class A misdemeanor family violence charge this month. Jones was asked why a micromanager like himself hasn’t spoken to the player and his answer was short and to the point.

“Because I’m too pissed to talk to him,
” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas.

Jerry says the dardiest things

He's having a hell of an offseason

squicken

Whoa I was expecting bad things but Chris Long's deal is actually really good for the team. He's not elite, and isn't going to be paid elite money going forward

5 years 60m 37m guaranteed

I would say that's almost undermarket. What FMT will like is that Long's agent, Marvin Demoff, is Jeff fisher's agent and the father of Rams' president, Kevin Demoff

Striker

Mario Williams money. But if Reese can keep his hot streak going with finding DLs, seems like the Giants type of move would be to franchise and trade
Dude just turned 23. Barring injury, he's gonna get re-signed. Reese has re-signed every player he's wanted so far, and I doubt this changes. He's got to lock up JPP, Cruz, and Nicks in the next three seasons, and all three will command big money, I'm sure.

Striker said:
Dude just turned 23. Barring injury, he's gonna get re-signed. Reese has re-signed every player he's wanted so far, and I doubt this changes. He's got to lock up JPP, Cruz, and Nicks in the next three seasons, and all three will command big money, I'm sure.
Agreed. He'll get JPP under contract when his rookie deal is done. For the time being - Nicks, Cruz and after this season Kenny Phillips are up. Tuck is due up soon as well and I think he'll take reasonable money to remain and retire a Giant.

...and yes I think keeping Phillips is essential. The guy played extremely well last season and I'll take him over Rolle any day of the week. Guys like Chris Canty, Boley and Rolle will need to have some of their money converted to roster bonuses or I can absolutely see Canty and his big cap hit being cut after this season.

t41gb.gif

It appears that I have been sprung from the coop early.

Let us congregate, Packer brothers, it is time to takeover this domicile whilst our brethren obtain our 14th championship trophy!

squicken

Agreed. He'll get JPP under contract when his rookie deal is done. For the time being - Nicks, Cruz and after this season Kenny Phillips are up. Tuck is due up soon as well and I think he'll take reasonable money to remain and retire a Giant.

...and yes I think keeping Phillips is essential. The guy played extremely well last season and I'll take him over Rolle any day of the week. Guys like Chris Canty, Boley and Rolle will need to have some of their money converted to roster bonuses or I can absolutely see Canty and his big cap hit being cut after this season.

If you guys are able to keep all your stars then there truly is no salary cap. Which is weird b/c the Texans are having all sorts of trouble with it

edit: holy crap he's back. But showing back up in preseason is pretty mainstream

t41gb.gif

Guess I got sprung from the coop early.

Let's go Packers. Time to bring home #14.

Whoooooooooo! Are you all buff now? And married?

It seems like there is a lot of interest for the league. Actstriker (or anybody else), can I PM you later tonight when I get home to talk about some specific rules and stuff?

Whoooooooooo! Are you all buff now? And married?
I am married only to my lord Godgers, friend.

In the darkness of the underworld I spoke with all of the great dead chickens of the past.
There I was reborn in the fires of the deep fryer. They imparted me with wisdom of olde and cleansed my soul with the chicken grease of the ancients.

I come to you now pure, detagged, and unspoiled.

Godgers be praised!

If you guys are able to keep all your stars then there truly is no salary cap. Which is weird b/c the Texans are having all sorts of trouble with it

edit: holy crap he's back. But showing back up in preseason is pretty mainstream

I think a lot of it depends on the players and their agents. Joe Banner has talked a lot about how creative the Eagles had to get with some of the contracts they gave out over the years. If guys are not willing to defer money then there isnt much you can do.

This is a dumb fucks argument in all instances. You have nothing to say so just devolve the conversation to "well... Uh... Some other teams in the past 20 years couldn't do it!"

Bill barnwell can eat a bag of dicks and so can his followers

bionic77

t41gb.gif

Let us congregate, Packer brothers, it is time to takeover this domicile whilst our brethren obtain our 14th championship trophy!
Why is it that only Packer fans discuss those pre-SB high school championships like they matter?

I never hear Browns or Eagles fans talk about the way they beat Polk High 5-2 in 1885 to be the best team in the county or whatever the fuck happened before Superbowls.

Why is it that only Packer fans discuss those pre-SB high school championships like they matter?

I never hear Browns or Eagles fans talk about the way they beat Polk High 5-2 in 1885 to be the best team in the county or whatever the fuck happened before Superbowls.

Eagles got 3 of them there championships I reckon.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is a dumb fucks argument in all instances. You have nothing to say so just devolve the conversation to "well... Uh... Some other teams in the past 20 years couldn't do it!"

Or you can understand that teams can have fluke years not reflective of their true talent levels. Like Grover mentioned in another post their defense was historically great last year, one of the best of all time, and its quite unlikely they are that great again. Their quarterback has been a total bum his entire career until last year. There is a lot to point to as to why they will more than likely take some steps backwards this year - the fact that no team in the history of the NFL has ever gotten better after doing what the 49ers did is interesting, obviously its just a historical footnote but it also leads credence to the thought process that perhaps a team that won 6 games and then jumps to 13 is probably not going to win 13 games in the following season.

So for the record, are you saying the Niners are getting 13+ wins this season? No way that happens.

squicken said:
If you guys are able to keep all your stars then there truly is no salary cap.
Oh we won't keep them all. There's going to be cap casualties but I think its going to be the big ticket guys currently on the roster that will be sacrificed in the name of signing some of those other big names. Chris Canty, Michael Boley, etc. Those guys signed hefty contracts in '08 and either won't be resigned, they'll have to take a heavy paycut or will just be cut outright in favor of signing some of those other key names. Nicks, Cruz, JPP, and Tuck are the nucleus of the team alongside Eli, IMO.

Corey Webster also has a pretty bulky contract that will need to be addressed eventually now that I think about it...

In other news, Giants safety Tyler Sash has been suspended four games for violating the performance enhancements policy.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

Giants safety Tyler Sash has been suspended for the first four games of the regular season for performance enhancing drugs. #nyg
Deon Grant signing in 3....2....1......

eznark

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/t41gb.gif[/IMG

Let us congregate, Packer brothers, it is time to takeover this domicile whilst our brethren obtain our 14th championship trophy![/QUOTE]

Didn't you ask to be banned?

Dutch Patriot said:
Your former D coordinator was there as well.
Bill knows who he reps. He may have been turned towards the dark side but deep down he knows where his heart lies. Exactly why he can't beat the Giants.

There is still good in him.....

Or you can understand that teams can have fluke years not reflective of their true talent levels. Like Grover mentioned in another post their defense was historically great last year, one of the best of all time, and its quite unlikely they are that great again. Their quarterback has been a total bum his entire career until last year. There is a lot to point to as to why they will more than likely take some steps backwards this year - the fact that no team in the history of the NFL has ever gotten better after doing what the 49ers did is interesting, obviously its just a historical footnote but it also leads credence to the thought process that perhaps a team that won 6 games and then jumps to 13 is probably not going to win 13 games in the following season.

I won't be surprised if we win less than 13 games but we will be a better team and still get a bye so who gives a shit

squicken

I really hate to wish bad things on people or be happy when they fail, but lol at Bioware. I know GAF goes on how they have sucked since BG2, but I loved KOTOR and ME1. That they shit the bed so completely with an MMO that no one wanted is kind of funny to see

Top Bottom