• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I just said that I had no interest in tablets, but after seeing the quick look on tested I have to say that the N7 looks alright.

More interesting than the iPad (at least for me).

Might get one for the kids to play with next year for any long trips in the car as it is pretty cheap and I can get 2 for the price of one iPad2. Hopefully Android has all of the good games and baby apps that iOS does.

They need to make an N10. That screen is too small. Otherwise, it's pretty cool.

squicken

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-pressure-plays-offense

On QBs and how they handle pressure. Don't love FO and their charting but I generally agree with the conclusions in this article

Of course, successfully combatting pressure isn't a one-dimensional skill. Quarterbacks like Michael Vick use their legs. Others like Peyton Manning use their quick release and omniscient grasp of play design. Ben Roethlisberger seems to have a sixth sense for oncoming opponents developed during schoolyard games of tag. Rarely, a guy like Rodgers comes along, and uses all of the above. Whatever the means, the ends of these offenses require success under pressure.

Instead, we'll use Sanchez and Tebow as a jumping-off point for a more general discussion of young quarterbacks. Like beating press coverage is for young receivers, beating pressure is a tried and true indicator of the career trajectory for young quarterbacks.The table clearly separates the ones who seem to "get it" from those that don't (at least not yet). Joining old standbys Brady, Roethlisberger, and Drew Brees in the top 10 of DVOA under pressure are neophytes Stafford, Josh Freeman, Cam Newton, and Andy Dalton. At 20th or worse, there's the aforementioned Sanchez, along with Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, and John Skelton. I suppose you can give Ponder and Gabbert a pass because of their high DVOA-difference rankings, but those are simply byproducts of being the only two qualifying quarterbacks with a below-average DVOA without pressure.

Freeman's performance in particular, despite a down year overall, should give Buccaneers fans some optimism for the future, especially in the face of left tackle Donald Penn's injury. It gives us a clue that 2011 was Freeman's fluke, not 2010. That's because he ranked first in DVOA with pressure two years ago; third on hurried throws, while facing pressure on 34.7 percent of pass plays no less. What killed him last season was falling from eighth to 29th in DVOA without pressure, but that seems eminently more fixable than if he had all-of-a-sudden displayed the shell shock of David Carr. Also, contrast Freeman's stats with Bradford's, which were similar both in 2011 and his "good" rookie year in 2010 (20th in DVOA with pressure, 25th on hurried throws). In that context, it's no wonder we're more bullish on Freeman than Bradford going forward.

eznark

Banned
I just said that I had no interest in tablets, but after seeing the quick look on tested I have to say that the N7 looks alright.

More interesting than the iPad (at least for me).

Might get one for the kids to play with next year for any long trips in the car as it is pretty cheap and I can get 2 for the price of one iPad2. Hopefully Android has all of the good games and baby apps that iOS does.

Seems like the only thing Android isn't getting are the awesome board game ports.

On one hand, I know you're smart enough to know what I'm really getting at and there's no need for you to distort the situation

On the other hand I don't really want to get into an argument with you. Underneath it all you're still a likable dude and I'm sorry for insulting you.

Love you too honey, lets never fight again.

They need to make an N10. That screen is too small. Otherwise, it's pretty cool.
Good for reading though, that's probably why I'll end up grabbing one.

squicken

Nice timing by SI with article on Bradford and pressure, with Fox's boy Schotty making an appearance

"You can say what you want, but if somebody comes up and punches you in the face, the first time you might shake it off, the second time you'd probably blink and the third time common sense is kicking in and you're looking to avoid it," said new Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. "Hits on the quarterback is not something you worry about with just Sam Bradford; everybody is worried about it with their quarterbacks. There's such a big emphasis on these pass rushers -- obviously blitzes have gone to a high level. Everybody is being creative with the blitzes they're throwing at offenses, and we have to adapt with the way we design our protections, the way we call games. We have a few things that we can use to our advantage, like our cadence and screens. But if any coach said 'I don't worry when my quarterback gets hit,' he's lying to you. Over time if you get hit enough it's going to affect you, just like if a corner gets beat a couple of times on deep routes early in the game. You can say what you want, but it's going to affect him. Maybe not consciously but subconsciously it's in his mind."

Bradford is far from gun shy, but during his film study in the offseason he was surprised to see that the hits had affected his play.

"You can come out and say it doesn't affect you, but subconsciously you start to be a little more aware of what's going on up front," he said. "You probably start to drop your eyes a little bit, or escape the pocket just half a count earlier instead of sliding to avoid pressure. The more I went back and watched the tape after the season, I saw myself doing that more than I (noticed) during the year.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...adford-st-louis-rams/index.html#ixzz22JUMXmxC

Fox318

Get a Xoom WiFi!
fHb6n.png

brentech

Good for reading though, that's probably why I'll end up grabbing one.

For what kind of reading? Magazines?

Otherwise, it's good for burning your retinas out. Kindle and other B&W eInk is the way to go for actual book reading. I can't imagine not having a headache reading 100 straight pages on a backlit device.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Get a Xoom WiFi!
http://i.imgur.com/fHb6n.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Not a chance. I won't be buying a Google device from a 3rd party when there's a 1st party device available. Same goes for the MS tablet. And they wonder why their oem's are pissed.

eznark

Banned
For what kind of reading? Magazines?

Otherwise, it's good for burning your retinas out. Kindle and other B&W eInk is the way to go for actual book reading. I can't imagine not having a headache reading 100 straight pages on a backlit device.

I have a kindle and a nook and while they are way better, I hate having to have a light on when reading at night. Sepia with brightness all the way down on nice screens is fantastic and doesn't cause much strain at all.

Fox318

Not a chance. I won't be buying a Google device from a 3rd party when there's a 1st party device available. Same goes for the MS tablet. And they wonder why their oem's are pissed.
Xoom has been updated like a nexus device. They also own moto.

bionic77

I have a kindle and a nook and while they are way better, I hate having to have a light on when reading at night. Sepia with brightness all the way down on nice screens is fantastic and doesn't cause much strain at all.
You have a Kindle and a Nook?

I have the OG Kindle and I love it. Why would you have both?

brentech

Yeah, really my only problem with my Kindle. I just toss a shirt over my lamp on the nightstand and have extra shade, lol.

WedgeX

Banned
Training camp practices with pads are happening!

I might yet survive until the regular season!
Unlike Aaron Berry's career.

Yes.

There you go.

This man will eat Brady for breakfast.

You mean when after Tom scores a touchdown after showing his Greg-like vertical jumping ability, that disgusting murderer tries to injure him? That sounds like a Lewis thing to do.

Oh wait

brady6.gif

What a horrible human being.

Milchjon

You mean when after Tom scores a touchdown after showing his Greg-like vertical jumping ability, that disgusting murderer tries to injure him? That sounds like a Lewis thing to do.

Oh wait

brady6.gif

What a horrible human being.

There's moments like this where you really feel a player is looking old. Another example was Troy in the SB against the Packers, always being late like Ray was here.

What a spear!

Brady can take it.

Oh wait, Brady doesn't have a spine, my bad.

Off course Brady can take it, Ray his 'hits' are softer than a kittens hugs, the only problem is that they are disgustingly late because he is slow and thus Brady might already think he is safe after the play is over.

But Tom can also take hits from real LBs like Elvis Dumberville. Somebody post that .gif.

G-Fex

Off course Brady can take it, Ray his 'hits' are softer than a kittens hugs, the only problem is that they are disgustingly late because he is slow and thus Brady might already think he is safe after the play is over.

But Tom can also take hits from real LBs like Elvis Dumberville. Somebody post that .gif.

That's the worst name I ever heard.

Even worse than Joey JoJo Shabadoo.

Fantomex

Hey Dutch, remember when the pats won superbowls? You think they'll be back soon?

bionic77

It seems to me to make more sense to have one ebook reader so that you don't have to ever take more than one device with you. With my kindle (which transfers to pretty much every mobile device) I always have all of my books with me all of the time.

Skol Vikings, let's win this game,
Skol Vikings, honor your name,
Go get that first down,
Then get a touchdown.
Rock 'em . . . Sock 'em
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Vikings, run up the score,
You'll hear us yell for more. . .
V-I-K-I-N-G-S
Skol, Vikings, let's go!

VIKEBIKE VIKEBIKE VIKEBIKE VIKEBIKE!

Top Bottom