• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Milchjon

Man, I miss snes a lot:

milchjon
are you happy about Sony losing money?

snesfreak
They brought that on themselves, by being idiots

milchjon
so, if nintendo loses money too, that means....?

snesfreak
Nintendo didn't release a system that lost hundreds of dollars per system sold

snesfreak
There's a lot of things that screwed with Nintendo

snesfreak
And they were selling the 3DS at a loss for a while, after the price cut

I hope Evilore ends up somewhere reasonably close, so I can protest that ban.

Who is this Snesfreak gentleman you're talking about? I don't remember anybody named Snesfreak.

Also, have I ever mentioned to you guys how Allison Brie is not even remotely close to Emma Stone her level of hotness? Just for no reason.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Who is this Snesfreak gentleman you're talking about? I don't remember anybody named Snesfreak.

Also, have I ever mentioned to you guys how Allison Brie is not even remotely close to Emma Stone her level of hotness? Just for no reason.

When you get perma'd, I'll make a thread full of Emma Stone images in your honor.

K-19

Banned
Emma stone is definitly the hottest. She can buy me a dinner and ...

... rape me with Tom and Gisele.

Srly, she is the perfect nerd GF. We must to clone her.

G-Fex

Child please, I ride in this:

cleveland-browns-dumdog-1.jpg

I never felt so bad for Browns fans as I do right now.

So very very bad.

Almost depressing.

I'm so sorry Kave.

I can't even make fun of that picture.

squicken

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/8/...ial-interviews-with-rotoworlds-evan-silva-and

If you guys don't mind a little football talk, that Chris Brown interview is pretty good. He's going to be a regular contributor at Grantland for CFB and NFL come fall, which is awesome.

Anyway, nothing really earth-shattering in the podcasts.

-Space player was the it thing to discuss last year. This year, it will be the hybrid defensive player used to counteract the encroachment of spread concepts.

-Big nickle is now the default formation to stop that and be able to adapt to hurry up

-NFL is basically a spread league without the mobile QBs, and no one knows if those will work (my thinking on this is it won't as it does in college. Oilers fooled around with the option as a goal line gimmick with Warren Moon. Thing is, no one would take the pitch man if they could lay out the QB [who is a runner and thus can be hit in the head])

-All coaches at every level looking for a "war daddy". Big DT/NG that can play two gap

LJ11

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/8/...ial-interviews-with-rotoworlds-evan-silva-and

If you guys don't mind a little football talk, that Chris Brown interview is pretty good. He's going to be a regular contributor at Grantland for CFB and NFL come fall, which is awesome.

Anyway, nothing really earth-shattering in the podcasts.

-Space player was the it thing to discuss last year. This year, it will be the hybrid defensive player used to counteract the encroachment of spread concepts.

-Big nickle is now the default formation to stop that and be able to adapt to hurry up

-NFL is basically a spread league without the mobile QBs, and no one knows if those will work (my thinking on this is it won't as it does in college. Oilers fooled around with the option as a goal line gimmick with Warren Moon. Thing is, no one would take the pitch man if they could lay out the QB [who is a runner and thus can be hit in the head])

-All coaches at every level looking for a "war daddy". Big DT/NG that can play two gap

Brown was a Grantland contributor last year as well. Has a book out right now, ebook is only 3 or 4 bucks, well worth it if you want to learn a thing or two. Nothing mind blowing but it covers a bit of everything.

squicken

Brown was a Grantland contributor last year as well. Has a book out right now, ebook is only 3 or 4 bucks, well worth it if you want to learn a thing or two. Nothing mind blowing but it covers a bit of everything.

Is his book new stuff or just a compilation from his site? I got the sense from the interview that he was taking on a bigger role than he had last year. More than one column a week. Would love for him to do a featured All 22 column in addition to his college stuff

LJ11

Is his book new stuff or just a compilation from his site? I got the sense from the interview that he was taking on a bigger role than he had last year. More than one column a week. Would love for him to do a featured All 22 column in addition to his college stuff

It's mostly a compilation, but it's now all in one place and easily searchable. For someone who doesn't want read the site or doesn't know where to begin when reading it for the first time, it's a good buy.

squicken

As much as I like a more technical discussion to football, his stuff can get a little dense. I'll hit the part with Xs and Os and my eyes will glaze over. I just learn better when it's video or screen shot and not diagrams.

Replacement refs are struggling in camp

And as the replacements disperse through a number of camps, there’s a growing sense they’re in over their heads.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune quoted a veteran scout who had seen the replacements as saying they were in “awe” and thought they’d “call only what is obvious.”

And offensive linemen in particular know what that means, since they operate in the closest quarters that don’t allow room to reflect.

Fantastic

When you get perma'd, I'll make a thread full of Emma Stone images in your honor.

I don't think that that will ever happen, like I said before I'm not interesting nor do I have a really strong/controversial opinion on most things here on GAF, so chances are pretty big that I don't get banned/tagged.

That doesn't mean you can't make a Emma Stone OP anyway.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
New columnist at NFL.com. This has to be one of you guys in reality.

The Myth: Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh, and will be a top-tier contender.
The Truth: The Steelers have issues and look like a third-place team.

The Myth: Peyton Manning is the Denver Broncos' savior.
The Truth: Peyton Manning quarterbacks the third-best team in the AFC West.

The Myth: The San Francisco 49ers can't win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith under center.
The Truth: Smith is only getting better and the Niners are one of the NFL's four best teams.

The Myth: The New York Jets are a chaotic mess at quarterback.
The Truth: Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow will work.

The Myth: The Carolina Panthers will win the Super Bowl.
The Truth: Carolina will finish last in the NFC South.

The Myth: Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh, and will be a top-tier contender.
The Truth: The Steelers have issues and look like a third-place team. Maybe

The Myth: Peyton Manning is the Denver Broncos' savior.
The Truth: Peyton Manning quarterbacks the third-best team in the AFC West. LOLNO

The Myth: The San Francisco 49ers can't win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith under center.
The Truth: Smith is only getting better and the Niners are one of the NFL's four best teams. NO

The Myth: The New York Jets are a chaotic mess at quarterback.
The Truth: Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow will work. Both suck, so probably not.

The Myth: The Carolina Panthers will win the Super Bowl.
The Truth: Carolina will finish last in the NFC South.
34676429_disapoint_gif.gif

I don't think that that will ever happen, like I said before I'm not interesting nor do I have a really strong/controversial opinion on most things here on GAF, so chances are pretty big that I don't get banned/tagged.

That doesn't mean you can't make a Emma Stone OP anyway.

All it takes is one post taken out of context.

LJ11

As much as I like a more technical discussion to football, his stuff can get a little dense. I'll hit the part with Xs and Os and my eyes will glaze over. I just learn better when it's video or screen shot and not diagrams.

The only thing that sucks about videos is that theres a good chance they get nuked. Remember some great cut ups of blitzes Utah used in their bowl game against Bama, vid has been long dead which is a shame.

squicken

The only thing that sucks about videos is that theres a good chance they get nuked. Remember some great cut ups of blitzes Utah used in their bowl game against Bama, vid has been long dead which is a shame.

Oh for sure. That's why SBN went to animated GIFs on everything. But the All 22 thing has a built in telestrater. You can't post video I'm sure but they are encouraging screencaps. It's not narrated video but it's good enough

McClellin makes eye-opening plays at Bears' practice
The most impressive feat was snagging an interception from quarterback Jason Campbell after identifying the play. He didn’t bat it up in the air and catch it, he snared it.

“I saw the quarterback dropping back and I was going for an inside rush but I saw him dropping back further so I stopped and waited for him to throw it,” McClellin said. “Luckily, it was right in my hands.”

I'm pretty sure the plan is to use him as a situational pass rusher only. I hope he can deliver the goods in that role.

squicken

It's the 70s again in sTL

"This offense is ground, pound and we’re in your face," Jackson said. "Regardless of how much a team studies about us, they are probably going to be able to tell, out of this formation, this is what they like to run. So now the mentality has gone from trying to be tricky or crafty to more so, 'This is my hole, this is where I’m going, stop me.' Completely different attitude."

"Sitting in our first offensive meeting, it was made clear that our identity as an offense, we’re going to be known as being a physical unit that can run the ball versus whatever," Bradford said. "It doesn’t matter if people put 8-9 in the box,we’re going to run the ball. That’s what we’re going to do, and we’re going to pound them and we’re going to wear them out, and then we’re going to take our shots."

Stupid generally, but if they can't pass protect and have no legitimate WR threat, it's probably all that they can do.

Just to make it known

Mary Kay Cabot‏ @ MaryKayCabot BREAKING: Former # Eagles president Joe Banner will be joining Jimmy Haslam in Cleveland once the sale is approved, league sources told PD.

squicken

Just to make it official

Mary Kay Cabot‏ @ MaryKayCabot BREAKING: Former # Eagles president Joe Banner will be joining Jimmy Haslam in Cleveland once the sale is approved, league sources told PD.

Wonder if he will fire Holmgren immediately or wait? Shurmur is Holmgren's boy, and Holmgren wasted a year with Mangini. Do the Steamers, a month before the season, have a lame duck owner, preisdent, GM, and head coach?

Wonder if he will fire Holmgren immediately or wait? Shurmur is Holmgren's boy, and Holmgren wasted a year with Mangini. Do the Steamers, a month before the season, have a lame duck owner, preisdent, GM, and head coach?

Don't forget a rookie QB who is almost ready to receive social security payments.

It's the 70s again in sTL

Stupid generally, but if they can't pass protect and have no legitimate WR threat, it's probably all that they can do.

you have no QB, no line and no WR's so yes you're going to run the ball. but as last year showed, if you have a competent head coach/offensive coordinator, you can do great things with a disciplined QB.

unfortunately you don't have a good offensive coordinator. or maybe you do i don't know.... maybe it was mark sanchez holding shotty back!

squicken

Don't forget a rookie QB who is almost ready to receive social security payments.

The thing is, they could be wasting a year. If it was just a new owner it would be one thing, but Banner is going to want his people in charge. He'll want to hire a personnel staff and coach. Obviously if they have a good year that can change, but I doubt it. He clashed with Reid in a power struggle and he's not going to want anyone there he didn't hire

Shurmur will stay. Don't want to confuse your rookie QB/RB combo with a coach change a month before your season opener. Everyone else is gone.

The only one i think is gone for certain is Holmgren and he would of been gone soon anyway. I think all the rest of the staff has a pretty good chance of staying. Press conference tomorrow, the owners just need to approve this already

Godslay

Banned
you have no QB, no line and no WR's so yes you're going to run the ball. but as last year showed, if you have a competent head coach/offensive coordinator, you can do great things with a disciplined QB.

unfortunately you don't have a good offensive coordinator. or maybe you do i don't know.... maybe it was mark sanchez holding shotty back!

Deadspin is shit, but these are pretty funny...

Why Your Team Sucks 2012: San Francisco 49ers

Deep down, you know that NFC Title Game Alex Smith is the REAL Alex Smith. Goddamn, the Niners are loaded. The front seven is arguably the best in football, AND they get to play six games against the Rams, Cardinals and Seahawks, all of whom ranked in the top 4 of sacks allowed last season (as we noted here before, the NFC West is where offensive line play goes to die). They also upgraded the receiving corps, added touchdown vulture and professional helmet-putter Brandon Jacobs to the backfield, drafted LaMichael James to become Darren Sproles Jr., and they still have freakshow Vernon Davis catching seam routes down the middle of the field. This team could easily make it to the Super Bowl...

EXCEPT that Alex Smith is still hanging around. Smith's vintage performance against the Saints in last season's divisional playoff will end up hurting the Niners in the long term, because it made it that much harder to rid themselves of Smith for good. The real Alex Smith is a skittish backup with tyrannosaurus hands and a penchant for underperforming against competent defenses. There's a certain tragedy in seeing a roster this good become co-dependent with Alex Smith for success. Some teams have the misfortune of seeing peak roster years coincide with off-peak quarterbacking years, and vice versa. You don't want that. You want your years of good quarterbacking to coincide with your years of having a talented roster. Otherwise, your good roster goes to waste on an average QB, and by the time you've corrected your QB problem, the roster is dogshit again. Jim Harbaugh was this close to sacking up and bringing in Peyton Manning, but he just couldn't do it. That'll sting when Smith hangs a 12-26 fartjob in another playoff game.

http://deadspin.com/5930455/why-your-team-sucks-2012-san-francisco-49ers

squicken

Mike Sando:

Who is the best QB in the division?
Mike Sando
(1:28 PM)

Alex Smith, until Sam Bradford proves otherwise, which he will as soon as the Rams give him a little more help (could be this season, not sure).

-

Alex Smith is the best QB in the NFCW, until Bradford gets protection? But but, did you not see Flynn vs the Lions and the other game?

Mike Sando

Sam Bradford is the most talented quarterback in the division. Sure, you put Flynn with the 49ers' team from last season and I'll be he'd get good results. I think the 49ers would be better with Bradford at quarterback. Just think he's different from a talent standpoint. Has all the intangibles. Can flat-out throw the ball too.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/44744/nfl-blogger-mike-sando

I wondered coming into camp whether last season inflicted irreparable damage to Bradford. That was not the case. There hasn't been a more impressive player on the practice field to this point. It's stunning, in retrospect, that a team with such a talented quarterback could suffer through a 2-14 season. So many things had to go wrong.

Day after day, play after play, Bradford impresses even the most seasoned observers. Receivers coach Ray Sherman, most recently with the Dallas Cowboys, has been around accomplished quarterbacks throughout his coaching career. The list includes Warren Moon, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Randall Cunningham, Brett Favre, Steve McNair and Tony Romo. He used the word "special" to describe Bradford.

"His temperament is just so calm," Sherman said of Bradford. "He has a demeanor about him and Brett was like that -- when he spoke, guys listened. They tune in. They know, 'We take care of this guy, he's going to take us a long way. He's going to do some special things.'"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

Comments are beautiful with 49ers fans going nuts. Pretty much all like FMT

can't disagree too much. alex smith missed an easy TD toss to kyle williams early (although he probably would've dropped it or even better yet caught it, ran a few steps and then fumble the ball untouched which would be recovered by the giants) and one to crabcakes in the 2nd half but aside from those 2 throws i challenge anyone to go back to that game and tell me an obvious throw he missed.

it is unfortunate that alex smith is who he is. he basically has no room for error. if i told you before the season that alex smith would play in the NFC title game, have a 97 QB rating with 2 TD's and 0 int's you would call bullshit. but he did it, and it was probably his 3rd worst game of the season. think about that: alex had 2 TD's, 0 int's and that was his 3rd worst game. he has come along way.

if alex doesn't improve this year we won't make it to the superbowl. that's all there is to it. will he improve? will our passing game improve? who knows. but you don't get rid of a guy until you have someone who is better to replace him. i like kap and tolzien and josh johnson but none of them are better than alex. we went after peypey and struck out so we'll just have to ride this out

p.s.

peypey won't start double digit games this year

Top Bottom