• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

squicken

Why do you sound so touchy? At least one of your teams made the playoffs.

I like football. It sucks watching great players surrounded by bad coaches and players. Wayne Fontes killed Barry Sanders' career and made him hate the game. How many years must Peterson waste with middling to awful head coaches?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hey look, more reports of Schwartz losing control of the team:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/m...-among-players-coaches-core-to-lions-problems

One of the Detroit Lions' players described the team's locker room this way: "At the end, we were a fractured group. Everything fell apart because we didn't have unity."

What does that mean exactly?

"I think players first and foremost are at fault," said the player. "I also think Coach [Jim Schwartz] lost control of the team a little. I hope he comes back. It would be stupid to fire him, but we were an undisciplined team. Most of that is on us.

"But everyone needs to be accountable. The coaches, the players, the front office. Guys need to stop acting like assholes off the field. Need to stop getting stupid penalties. The truth is coaches need to punish guys more when they screw up."

I also love how the player basically says, "Hey, he lost control of the team, BUT DON'T GET RID OF HIM!"

To me, that shows he has no balls to stand up to the players and probably lets them do whatever they want. Ugh. I hate to say it but this team will do absolutely nothing until the owner finally passes control of the team to his son, and that won't happen until he dies.

DSmalls84

Lovie should have gone. Right call. Missed playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. That's pretty bad.

I don't follow the Bears much but haven't their slides started when Cutler/Forte got injured the last couple of years? Kinda surprised to see him get fired, because he didn't seem like a terrible coach.

Jets update:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

Jets signed S Jaiquawn Jarrett today. He was one of those disastrous Eagles draft picks from '11 Lurie referenced today.

Oh and for Giants fans that are still questioning:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/12/fewells-contract-quietly-extended-through-2013

Tom Coughlin made it clear on Monday that Perry Fewell will remain the Giants’ defensive coordinator, and it turns out they won’t even have to re-sign him. Fewell was quietly given contract extension last winter, according to two league sources, as a reward for helping the Giants win Super Bowl XLVI.

Mrbob

Hey look, more reports of Schwartz losing control of the team:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/m...-among-players-coaches-core-to-lions-problems

I also love how the player basically says, "Hey, he lost control of the team, BUT DON'T GET RID OF HIM!"

To me, that shows he has no balls to stand up to the players and probably lets them do whatever they want. Ugh. I hate to say it but this team will do absolutely nothing until the owner finally passes control of the team to his son, and that won't happen until he dies.

At this point, the Lions might as well keep Schwartz. If a team is going to replace the head coach, they have to move fast. There are only so many decent candidates out there for not only head coach, but also coordinators.

I don't follow the Bears much but haven't their slides started when Cutler/Forte got injured the last couple of years? Kinda surprised to see him get fired, because he didn't seem like a terrible coach.

Lovie isn't a bad coach. He can turn around a bad team and make them good. But he isn't a coach who can win a Super Bowl unless a lot of lucky things fall his way. Lovie is the coach you hire to turn around a bad team. Then you get rid of him and hire someone who can win a Super Bowl.

Afrikan

Mark Sanchez to N.Y. Jets fans: 'Good things to come'

how do you do it Jets fans?....I mean when Alex was forced down my throat by Nolan and Singletary, it was just a horrible horrible helpless feeling. It was like when Bush won his second term.

Bowser

Updates:

NYPost_Schwartz: On addition to Jets, Panthers have also asked Giants for permission to speak with Marc Ross about GM job

YEAH BUDDY

JayGlazer: The outrage I'm hearing from Bears' players regarding Lovie Smith firing is about as strong as I've ever heard after a coach's dismissal

ruh oh

Tabris

Sanchez has proven he can be a decent QB and a game manager. He beat both Brady and Manning in the playoffs before (well Jim Caldwell beat Manning, fuck Jim Caldwell!!!)

You get rid of the distractions, like Tebow, and work on your O-Line and Running Game, and you can make a good team around that defence.

Madtown_

At this point, the Lions might as well keep Schwartz. If a team is going to replace the head coach, they have to move fast. There are only so many decent candidates out there for not only head coach, but also coordinators.

At this point? It's 3:40pm the first day after the season ended. There's plenty of time, if that's the decision they want to make.

Lovie isn't a bad coach. He can turn around a bad team and make them good. But he isn't a coach who can win a Super Bowl unless a lot of lucky things fall his way. Lovie is the coach you hire to turn around a bad team. Then you get rid of him and hire someone who can win a Super Bowl.

The problem with this is that you can't just fire your coach out of the blue after he turns a team around. Ideally you need a situation like the Lions have right now with Schwartz. Lovie had a bunch of mildly successful years and a Super Bowl run, making it tough to fire him until now.

Mrbob

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

The outrage I'm hearing from Bears' players regarding Lovie Smith firing is about as strong as I've ever heard after a coach's dismissal

Shouldn't have sucked after the 7-1 start then!

At this point? It's 3:40pm the first day after the season ended. There's plenty of time, if that's the decision they want to make.

The problem with this is that you can't just fire your coach out of the blue after he turns a team around. Ideally you need a situation like the Lions have right now with Schwartz. Lovie had a bunch of mildly successful years and a Super Bowl run, making it tough to fire him until now.

Lovie had 9 years. He has had plenty of chances. Bears only made the playoffs one time in the last five seasons. You obviously don't fire him right away, but at some point you realize you'll never win a Super Bowl with him at head coach.

Macmanus

I like football. It sucks watching great players surrounded by bad coaches and players. Wayne Fontes killed Barry Sanders' career and made him hate the game. How many years must Peterson waste with middling to awful head coaches?

So focus on an actual problem like Megatron and Schwartz, versus Frazier and AD. Frazier has improved the team. If there are coaching issues, it's Bill Musgrave by a country mile.

jakncoke

Banned
]Sanchez has proven he can be a decent QB and a game manager. [/B]He beat both Brady and Manning in the playoffs before (well Jim Caldwell beat Manning, fuck Jim Caldwell!!!)

You get rid of the distractions, like Tebow, and work on your O-Line and Running Game, and you can make a good team around that defence.

lol no

I'd love for this to play out the way Tampa Bay did after they fired Dungy and hired Gruden. Of course, minus the maddening descent into mediocrity and morbidly obese quarterbacks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lions release RB, TE, and WR coach

Let the scapegoating begin!

Special teams coach? The one that set the record for most ST TDs scored against them in a short amount of games? STILL HAS HIS JOB.

Bowser

Colts the first team in league history to have a negative point differential

to make the playoffs, I assume? I'm sure there are plenty of teams with negative point differentials littered throughout NFL history

edit: didn't the Giants have a negative point differential entering the playoffs last year?

edit2: Yeah, the Giants had a -6 point differential last year and they still won the SB

Bowser said:
edit: didn't the Giants have a negative point differential entering the playoffs last year?
Yep. No clue what squicken means.

Giants had a negative point differential and first 9-7 to even get to a Super Bowl (much less win).

I have a lot of sympathy for the Lions and Vikings fans assuming they aren't firing their coaches. I'm glad Gailey got fired, he probably deserved it the most. Besides Norv, what a glorious day this is in San Diego. It almost makes up for missing the playoffs.

Oh and is the consensus Peterson = MVP after yesterday's game?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Sanchez has proven he can be a decent QB and a game manager. He beat both Brady and Manning in the playoffs before (well Jim Caldwell beat Manning, fuck Jim Caldwell!!!)

Let's assume this is true. (I personally don't think Sanchez is mentally tough enough and is prone to making too many panic mistakes, in addition to just not having an accurate enough arm.) The Jets need to hire a proper OC that knows how to grow a quarterback properly. Not a guy that subscribes to ground and pound like Rex, not an offensive line coach like Sparano.

What the fuck happened to the jets defense anyhow?
Besides just getting older and injuries, not a whole lot. They were still one of the better defenses in the league. It doesn't help when your offense is literally non-existent. Bad field position and all that time on the field hurts.

Wins and losses don't matter for a QB. Sanchez is awful. You can win in spite of him if you have a beastly defense, like the Jets used to have, but he has not developed one bit since his rookie year. He's not just that good. He can't handle pressure in the pocket and is shit at reading defenses.

Madtown_

Lovie had 9 years. He has had plenty of chances. Bears only made the playoffs one time in the last five seasons. You obviously don't fire him right away, but at some point you realize you'll never win a Super Bowl with him at head coach.

Right. His super bowl was in the third year, so he had a few years, went back to the nfc title game in 2010 and it would have been tough to fire him after the injuries last season. Firing now makes sense, I'm not disputing that.

Tabris

Wins and losses don't matter for a QB. Sanchez is awful. You can win in spite of him if you have a beastly defense, like the Jets used to have, but he has not developed one bit since his rookie year. He's not just that good. He can't handle pressure in the pocket and is shit at reading defenses.

I agree he's not that good, but there's quite a gap between the top 10 QB's to the top 20 QB's (which he was in before this season) to the top 30's.

He's in that middle area and you're trying to judge him like a top 10. Lower expectations. Before this year, he was a decent middle of the pack QB.

Cagey

Banned
Revis Island closed in Miami.

dat 4-4-3 future

Edit: 49ers waive Jacobs. Who wants to not use him??

Ugh, dat 4-2-5 future, with Antrel Rolle in the slot and Chase Blackburn on delayed outside blitzes.

When it comes to Brandon Jacobs, I'm a god damn five year old. I want him on the roster just so I can see him waving a towel on the sidelines and going bananas. Can't he be our Brian Scalabrine (besides Zak DeOssie, Pro Bowler)? Please? I need Juggernaut in my life again.

Mrbob

Right. His super bowl was in the third year, so he had a few years, went back to the nfc title game in 2010 and it would have been tough to fire him after the injuries last season. Firing now makes sense, I'm not disputing that.

Then I don't know what you are disputing.

ari

Banned
3 of these twilight zone eps fucked me something major. The old lady with death, that town with the alien invasion, and that serial killer on the loose with two women locked in a room. Good shit.

M night ain't got shit on those twists.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
3 of these twilight zone eps fucked me something major. The old lady with death, that town with the alien invasion, and that serial killer on the loose with two women locked in a room. Good shit.

M night ain't got shit on those twists.

I'm waiting for the Apocalypse one, always enjoyed that one

Last man earth, starts to read and his glasses break

That shit was fucking EPIC!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sigh. Even though i just laughed at bacons cornballer bowl comment, trash talking racist is not what i am.

Edit: Fuck off cardinals, keep away from McCoy.

I'm just messing with ya cause it's fuuuuuuun. Bears fans just deserve it. You just happened to take the crown from Bob this season with shit talking down the Texans all year and despite how shitty the Texans are now, Bears are always right by their side or worse.

Top Bottom