• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

Scoring a field goal in Foxboro would be a start.
I'm still salty about that pathetic performance on Sunday. So disgraceful.

I'd prefer if they built through draft instead of big FA signings. With Ireland calling the shots, that's kind of hard, I know. FAs rarely work out, see Dansby. He might be serviceble, but he's never worth that kinda money. Haven't followed college ball much this season so can't tell who is any good at WR. I should probably ask our Senior Director of GAF NFL Scouting, LJ, to give me his prospect list, but he is a Bills fan so I can understand he wouldn't want to share with a Phins fan. :)
Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on this. The idea of spending big money on a FA doesn't get me very excited. In fact, I hope the Dolphins let go of Reggie Bush even. Long probably isn't going to be worth what he's asking either.

For what it's worth, I don't think a no 1 WR will make that much difference. Our playcalling has been really mediocre. I hope it's Philbin just not asking too much from Tannehill in his first year so maybe we will need a genuine big WR with top speed, but drafting at, what is it, 12, I'm not sure we will get him. Still not sold on him, Tannehill that is. Like no-nonsense Philbin. Came across a bit awkward in Hard Knocks, but turned out better. I say, invest in lesser a couple of known O-linemen with a bit more upside in FA for depth, try to find some more speed at WR but not necessarily first round talent. Add a bruising back a la Tolbert for redzone stuff. Add one or two TEs who are bigger but have less STD-problems. Franchise-tag Long and deal him for a couple of picks, even if they won't be very high. Maybe the Raiders will give us five 1st rounders or the Cards give us Fitzgerald and Dockett plus a 2nd rounder :). The rest, just shore up D. I mean it. Go for young hungry LBs who knock the living shit out of opponents. Speed, strength, attitude.
See, where you see bad playcalling I see playcalling that is restricted as result of personnel problems. If anyone knows how best to use Tannehill it's Sherman and honestly I thought his playcalling was pretty solid all year. There wasn't much flash and you didn't see a lot of big plays but how could you with the guys on that roster? Hartline isn't going to consistently create separation against the best corner a team has (unless it's the Raiders) and Bess is rarely going to be open because of how little the D has to respect the long ball. The lack of a dynamic TE plays into this as well as Fasano seems to have lost a step or three over the past year or two. The Dolphins need size and speed at TE and WR if you ask me, and I don't think any amount of good playcalling is going to make up for how much they lack in those areas.

Also, I don't think any of the teams drafting ahead of the Dolphins will be interested in taking a WR in the first round so the opportunity is definitely there to take the best one available (or at least one of the top three). I don't know a lot about who's available, though.

They definitely need a bruiser for redzone/3rd and short situations as well (man, I miss Polite) so I agree with you there. I agree with your thoughts on the D as well, although I think S/CB is a bigger issue than LB currently. Depth is needed everywhere though, and Dansby's only getting worse from here so I can understand the concerns there. Burnett and Misi aren't exactly stellar in pass coverage, either.

In all honesty, we've talked about this before, all I want them is to have a plan. Try to improve every position, all the way down the depth chart and stick to the plan. Don't do anything crazy. I'm more of a conservative guy in that respect. Open up the playbook a bit more, then we could be a Wildcard next year.
Next year we will find out if Ireland has what it takes. Parcells isn't around to influence any decisions this time so if this draft is a failure it's all on him. As far as opening up the playbook I think that goes hand in hand with the personnel like I said earlier, so hopefully both of those issues will be addressed.

Now, with all of that said, the Dolphins will probably go 7-9 again next year, haha.

Chiefs update:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Plot thickens: Before arriving in Arizona tonight, Andy Reid will interview today in Philadelphia with the KC Chiefs, via @mortreport.

Shocking that Andy Reid is the most in demand coach at the moment.

It really isn't

I'm slowly chipping away at my wife's casual Patriots fandom. She really wants to go to Disney World sometime this year so I told her we should go to Miami for a Dolphins game while we're down there (or maybe to Tampa when they visit the Bucs). She found a Dolphins shirt that was "cute" and said she would wear it if we actually made the trip. I like where this is headed!

Milchjon

I'm slowly chipping away at my wife's casual Patriots fandom. She really wants to go to Disney World sometime this year so I told her we should go to Miami for a Dolphins game while we're down there (or maybe to Tampa when they visit the Bucs). She found a Dolphins shirt that was "cute" and said she would wear it if we actually made the trip. I like where this is headed!

Congrats, you married a squicken.

Also, this is unfair. Our mascot can't compete with a helmeted dolphin whenit comes to cuteness.

Alfred Morris is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week

Stevie Brown is the NFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Interesting sidenote:

Randall Liu @RLiuNFL

Stevie Brown is 1st S in @giants history to win Defensive Player of Week multiple times

Not much of a concession prize for being out of the playoffs but Stevie was a nice FA pickup. Makes Kenny's likely departure easier to deal with.

MechDX

Also, this is unfair. Our mascot can't compete with a helmeted dolphin whenit comes to cuteness.

ImgDyn.cfm

What 5 year wouldnt want to go to bed with this staring at them from under the sheets?

What can I say, hardcore NFL fandom isn't really what I look for in a woman.

Your point about the mascots is a good one, but what about after the logo change? That could prove to be somewhat of a setback to this operation.

Wes

venison crêpe
"ESPN's John Clayton suggests the Browns could show trade interest in Patriots backup QB Ryan Mallett."

Weeden/Mallett/McCoy/T9 QB controversy camp competition woooooooooooooooooo

eznark

Banned
So he's complaining that the coach is the guy who runs things? Am I the only one who thinks that's the way it is supposed to be?

He was complaining that the coach wouldn't let him commit tax fraud by accepting illegal and unreported bonuses for assault.

ari

Banned
I just cursed out my interviewer from a job thinking it was a telemarketing scum...fucking embarrassing. :(

She was cool about it but that sucks. :(

squicken

Funny how he was considered a players coach and a very popular one at that when he was with the Giants, too.

Also, if you're going to trash a coach have the balls to put your name behind it. Don't just play the anonymous card.

(this would be the perfect time for that Saints CB player shaking his head and saying no at Spags as he comes over to talk to him during the Giants game. I can't find the gif at the moment)

He was loathed by Rams players, but STL doesn't have the kind of media that will do stories like that, so it never shows up. But after the season, the players went to the owner and begged him to hire Fisher, saying they were sick of novice guys like Spags. Little comments all year like"Fisher behaves as a coach instead of running around all practice trying to convince you he is one"

edit: Same as McDaniels. Want to know why lots of careers stalled? Spags, Shurmur, McDaniels

Dragon

Banned
McDaniels did make Cassel into a decent QB for a year. Having Moss helped of course. But when you add that with what the Patriots did in 2007 I don't see why he shouldn't have cache as an offensive coordinator. Don't know that he should ever get personnel decisions though.

I just cursed out my interviewer from a job thinking it was a telemarketing scum...fucking embarrassing. :(

She was cool about it but that sucks. :(

Oh well, you're a Bears fan at least you can look forward to September 2013.

bionic77

Holy shit at Ninja shutting down that virgin. :lol

Boo @ OPs for banning the medal. He should have been given a mdeal for his performance in that thread.

What thread is this happening in now? (the Scooter ban I mean)

squicken said:
But after the season, the players went to the owner and begged him to hire Fisher, saying they were sick of novice guys like Spags.
Plenty of examples of quality coordinators making shit head coaches. Nothing new in that regard. I've argued with you before that Spags was given far too much responsibility with the Rams much in the same way that McDaniels was given FAR too much responsibility in Denver. I think its a massive mistake at an organizational level to bring in a first time head coach and hand over the reigns to the franchise.

I know you dislike his tenure but I don't buy the bullshit about Spags being some dictator type anymore than Drew Brees yelling about Bounty Gate innocence.

bionic77

That didn't deserve a ban. He was only helping with tough love.
Wonder how old that guy was. If he is over 20 what are the odds that he ever gets laid without paying for it?

RIP Scooter. I will be cheering for RG3 this weekend and against Brady for the rest of my life!

Wonder how old that guy was. If he is over 20 what are the odds that he ever gets laid without paying for it?

RIP Scooter. I will be cheering for RG3 this weekend and against Brady for the rest of my life!

After reading that thread I don't think it matters what side of 20 he falls on.

squicken

I know you dislike his tenure but I don't buy the bullshit about Spags being some dictator type anymore than Drew Brees yelling about Bounty Gate innocence.

If he had helped my team win a SB, I'd probably be skeptical on all reports that he wasn't actually good at his job.

bionic77

After reading that thread I don't think it matters what side of 20 he falls on.
He was a gaming only guy apparently before he waded in OT waters.

:lol I wonder how much of gaming age is exactly like that dude. Hard to get so worked up about Nintendo or Square once you start getting laid.

Wrayfield

He was a gaming only guy apparently before he waded in OT waters.

:lol I wonder how much of gaming age is exactly like that dude. Hard to get so worked up about Nintendo or Square once you start getting laid.

I dunno, I think he was either trolling or just the living cliche of gaming side. As in exception. Know plenty of gamers with no sex life who are quite normal. :)

bionic77

I dunno, I think he was either trolling or just the living cliche of gaming side. As in exception. Know plenty of gamers with no sex life who are quite normal. :)
Nothing wrong with being a gamer. Hell I like videogames. But I do think there is something wrong with you if you are over 12 and get involved in console wars. Especially the kind of people who get upset by others enjoying games and console they do not have.

Same applies to phone wars, Pats fans, etc.

Striker

His leadership in STL was referred to as Nixonian. His success level w/o NYG awesome defensive line and Jim Johnson ...
For what he was dealt, I liked his planning in 2008 more. He had no depth on the DL so the top backups were Jay Alford, Dave Tollefson (loved these guys, but they were not top backup material), and journeyman Renaldo Wynn. The LB's were Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, and old man Pierce. He's probably a far better DC than HC, but the situation in NO was never going to be pretty no matter what. Big mistake on his own part by going there.

Top Bottom