• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

Wrayfield

Nothing wrong with being a gamer. Hell I like videogames. But I do think there is something wrong with you if you are over 12 and get involved in console wars. Especially the kind of people who get upset by others enjoying games and console they do not have.

Same applies to phone wars, Pats fans, etc.

I know what you mean. There are a few things that rile me up, I would get a quick moment of rage, but I would normally just edit my post before posting something too childish. If I can't write something like that, I just don't write at all.

As for taste and console hate this or that, I never understood it. Even as a kid. I wanted them all. Shitty or not. If anything, I was glad to hear about other console and games because they made me curious about stuff I hadn't played yet. Now, I am just happy I find games that interest me enough. When that's the case, I don't care if it's a 55 Metascore indie title or a bullshit AAA from a horrible publisher, I just enjoy it.

squicken said:
If he had helped my team win a SB, I'd probably be skeptical on all reports that he wasn't actually good at his job.
Except I'm not. Good try but I don't have the love affair with Spags that most Giants fans seem to have. I appreciate what he did for us but that was then and this is now. I also don't argue that he wasn't a shit head coach. I don't argue that his job has been poor with the Saints when you coordinate a defense that is ranked as one of the worst of all time. As the coordinator you must take part of the blame for that (just as Fewell has to take part of the blame for the Giants defense being what it is right now) but then the players have to have a certain level of accountability as well.

I am, however skeptical of much of anything that comes out of a players mouth who:

- Can't be bothered to attach his name to it.
- Is part of a unit that couldn't tackle or perform prior to his arrival anyway.

"Oh it's the coordinator!" So what was the excuse in 2011? Or when Lynch ran all up and down your asses in the playoffs while Spags was in St. Louis?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The more I read about Chip Kelly the more I want him.

And really Mallet? If we get him Dutch might ban me from the shirtless league. :(

squicken

For what he was dealt, I liked his planning in 2008 more. He had no depth on the DL so the top backups were Jay Alford, Dave Tollefson (loved these guys, but they were not top backup material), and journeyman Renaldo Wynn. The LB's were Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, and old man Pierce. He's probably a far better DC than HC, but the situation in NO was never going to be pretty no matter what. Big mistake on his own part by going there.

I can see that. He actually did a somewhat decent job in the last half of the year of triage with his defense. Had 9 DBs on IR. The thing was, it took him 5 weeks of getting blown out to stop blitzing and just play bend don't break. Like McDaniels, his major flaw was adapting to lesser talent. Kept trying to run schemes like they had Giants and Pats talent. Coaching vacancies exist for a reason, and talent is usually one of them

Rorschach

Alfred Morris is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week

Stevie Brown is the NFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Interesting sidenote:

Not much of a concession prize for being out of the playoffs but Stevie was a nice FA pickup. Makes Kenny's likely departure easier to deal with.

Happy for him, but it pisses me off. His play warranted a roster spot and they just tossed him aside while shitty players remained on the team. smh I still hate you, Hue!

cundiff?

amazing how fast the niners fell off if they are going to resort to that level of fail

dude single handedly lost the skins a couple of games this year

SonnyBoy

Mike on RG3's knee

Interesting, the doctors say that he's 100% but Mike goes on to say that RG3 has to wear the brace. I'm assuming that the brace (as alluded to in the article) is providing him the mental assurance that he's not going to further injure himself.

Seems like this is good news, maybe he'll show up without it this week. #shrug

Dragon

Banned
I love the Cundiff signing by the Niners. Very smart. Playoff time is when he thrives.

2012-01-22T233519Z_01_FOX134_RTRIDSP_3_NFL-PLAYOFFS-AFC--606x404.jpg

Talon

Mike on RG3's knee

Interesting, the doctors say that he's 100% but Mike goes on to say that RG3 has to wear the brace. I'm assuming that the brace (as alluded to in the article) is providing him the mental assurance that he's not going to further injure himself.

Seems like this is good news, maybe he'll show up without it this week. #shrug
QBs will wear braces as a safety measure to protect your knee from locking up. Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan wear them sans injuries. LORD Brady and Peyton used to - dunno if they still do.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The more I read about Chip Kelly the more I want him.

And really Mallet? If we get him Dutch might ban me from the shirtless league. :(

Well if you get Mallet, you don't have to worry about bounce passes anymore. If there's one thing he's good at it's hitting receivers anywhere on the field.

His biggest weakness that I could ever see at Arkansas is that he's the slowest person on earth. Don't look for him to roll out of the pocket very successfully or being able to tuck the ball and run very far.

jergrah

Scoring a field goal in Foxboro would be a start.

I'd prefer if they built through draft instead of big FA signings. With Ireland calling the shots, that's kind of hard, I know. FAs rarely work out, see Dansby. He might be serviceble, but he's never worth that kinda money. Haven't followed college ball much this season so can't tell who is any good at WR. I should probably ask our Senior Director of GAF NFL Scouting, LJ, to give me his prospect list, but he is a Bills fan so I can understand he wouldn't want to share with a Phins fan. :)

For what it's worth, I don't think a no 1 WR will make that much difference. Our playcalling has been really mediocre. I hope it's Philbin just not asking too much from Tannehill in his first year so maybe we will need a genuine big WR with top speed, but drafting at, what is it, 12, I'm not sure we will get him. Still not sold on him, Tannehill that is. Like no-nonsense Philbin. Came across a bit awkward in Hard Knocks, but turned out better. I say, invest in lesser a couple of known O-linemen with a bit more upside in FA for depth, try to find some more speed at WR but not necessarily first round talent. Add a bruising back a la Tolbert for redzone stuff. Add one or two TEs who are bigger but have less STD-problems. Franchise-tag Long and deal him for a couple of picks, even if they won't be very high. Maybe the Raiders will give us five 1st rounders or the Cards give us Fitzgerald and Dockett plus a 2nd rounder :). The rest, just shore up D. I mean it. Go for young hungry LBs who knock the living shit out of opponents. Speed, strength, attitude.

In all honesty, we've talked about this before, all I want them is to have a plan. Try to improve every position, all the way down the depth chart and stick to the plan. Don't do anything crazy. I'm more of a conservative guy in that respect. Open up the playbook a bit more, then we could be a Wildcard next year.

You be quiet now. Grrrr!

Why would Miami tag Long for a huge sum? And who is going to pay for a guy with no contract that hasn't played a full healthy season for the last 2+ years and when he has played he's been far from dominant.

Dansby got paid his market value -- if Miami didn't pay him that, someone would. He's been their leader on defense and is solid -- just lacking explosive turnovers.

I agree with other pieces though -- they need to mix building through draft and FA. I do think they need someone to stretch the field that can also catch (Wallace). Draft, I'd like first to go to a DE opposite Cam. A WR + CB in 2nd and best available with the 3rds.

Also, I think Daniel Thomas can be the bruiser back, if he can just stay healthy.

And hopefully play calling next year improves and is opened up with Tannehills comfort. Though some of it is based on lack of talent, rewatching the NE game most of the sacks came because WRs got zero separation. That's not a playcall issue, it's a talent issue.

eznark

Banned
as if the cardinals have ever had many steals over the years in the draft

some franchises deserve to fail

Keim has been a hot commodity for like three years. Not sure why no one ever gives him the job but he has been interviewed for pretty much every GM opening since 2008.

MechDX

Well if you get Mallet, you don't have to worry about bounce passes anymore. If there's one thing he's good at it's hitting receivers anywhere on the field.

His biggest weakness that I could ever see at Arkansas is that he's the slowest person on earth. Don't look for him to roll out of the pocket very successfully or being able to tuck the ball and run very far.

So he is basically Schaub but with actual arm strength.

After reading the thread NinjaScooter got banned in, I'm feeling pretty lucky my divorce thread didn't go like that. People are ruthless. And awesome.

LJ (or any Bills fans)...any comment on Michael Jasper from his time with the Bills? The Giants are apparently bringing him in for a workout.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Ah so he's Brandon Weeden but younger.

Weeden has his osteoporosis as his excuse for being slow. What's Mallett's excuse?

brentech

Interesting 49ers sign Cundiff for him to compete w Akers. I'm guessing that Harbaugh is going to stick w Akers.....

Yeah, I don't see a switch happening. Think they're just hoping to motivate him....although i'm not sure that really works for kickers. Adding extra mind games to an already jacked up head

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I can't believe Devo and Scooter got banned in that thread. That was the hardest I've laughed in a bit.

Scooter :(

After reading the thread NinjaScooter got banned in, I'm feeling pretty lucky my divorce thread didn't go like that. People are ruthless. And awesome.

A divorce is different than a huge thread about "the one that got away (because I lack the balls to make a move)"

How can there be a market for him? At least Cassel had that full season. Is BB going to list one of Mallet's coke dealers as a reference?

I never trust Patriots players being traded away. They never seem to pan out. Then again, it's not like there's a mountain of film of the guy or really any real demonstration of his abilities when it matters. We all know that they like to keep Brady in to run up the score!

Milchjon

Honestly, what kind of story is some ESPN dude "suggesting" that a team "could show interest". Is there even a real rumor or is it only Clayton throwing some ideas around?

effzee

Link

The fact that the cheat doesnt think much of Roseman makes me think the Eagles might actually have the right guy. I also find it really funny that OBrien talked most of the players into staying at Pedo State and now he is either going to jump ship after 1 year or hold the university hostage for more money. I really hope the Eagles dont get him, he seems like a real scumbag.

Wait what? How does Belichek have such a strong opinion on Roseman? And if he does and its negative then it must be something that's believed across the league. Because before this and the exception of Fred Ex I have never heard anything negative about anything Eagles related from Belichek.

Didn't have a high opinion of Roseman to begin with and now this makes me worry more. If potential coaches don't want to come here because of him, we might have to settle on someone who isn't the top choice. Sort of like how because of Washburn we couldn't get any legit DC to come here.

Top Bottom