• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

You were sure? Still haunts your soul?

delhomme.gif

When the Cards beat the Falcons I was giddy with delight, thinking we had a cakewalk to the NFC Championship game. Then we returned the opening kickoff to midfield, and I think 3 runs later we were in the endzone up 7-0. BofA was rocking...and then it all fell apart :(

We haven't been to the playoffs since...

Nothing to say, I just love this gif.

I missed this. What happened?

Front Office wanted him gone. His offense serves up QB's on a plate and the Steelers didn't want their Franchise QB Out of the League at 32.

I missed this. What happened?

Well, the word is that the idea of removing Arians had been afoot since early 2010 but they didn't want to do it after going to the SB following that season. After the '11 season, Tomlin supposedly told Arians that he wasn't making any changes...but word came from on high that Bruce was out. Then somebody came up with the idea of announcing it as Bruce retiring, which he obviously didn't. Though there is a theory out there that Bruce was always worried about getting the ax after almost every season and that he had talked of retirement. In any event, the whole thing was handled sloppily and I doubt Bruce would ever be back in any capacity.

Crennel only got the job when neck beard beat the Packers and he looked inspiring. No neck beard no Crennel. Once again the broncos helped the Chiefs suck.

Is neck beard still in Dallas?
Chiefs were so stupid to not bring back neckbeard. He looked much better then Cassel did. They have to get Pioli out of there. He is making bad moves now to try and justify the bad moves he made before. I think Reid and Heckert will be a huge upgrade for them over Pioli and some first time coach.

Makes sense. Feeling in Philly was that after another NFCCG loss, they wanted to make some changes. And they did. Even if they didn't make too much sense. Heckert was replaced by boy wonder Howie, our current GM. Now Lurie claims Howie is only fully responsible for this last draft, placing majority of the blame for the last few (5!) drafts on Reid and Heckert.

Don't know how much is true or just saving face, but if Howie is the culprit making the bad moves, Reid + Heckert is a good team up. But if Heckert and Reid were the ones making the bad decisions, and Heckert's time with the Browns attests to that, then it might not be so good.

Then again it all depends on which Reid KC gets. The one who came to Philly with a full 5 year plan in his 3 inch binder and that executed it almost perfectly? Or the Reid of the past 5 seasons who had no clue, plan, and was playing games experimenting with the DC position?

That part by Lurie was a total lie. Tommy Lawlor years ago was talking about Roseman having more responsiblity over the players that were brought in. I understand Lurie wants to get people excited about the guy he kept, but he is distorting the facts to do so.

how is there "blame" on reid for drafting? I think he's a bad coach but his best attribute by far is finding talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Defensively there've been duds...but he's got a good overall record.

WedgeX

Banned
My uncle passed away at 42 this weekend. Had the memorial service yesterday. He had jumped around jobs from Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, all over. Yet remained a loyal Lions fan. My uncles decided that everyone should wear Lions gear to the memorial. Amazingly, all my family, all of his friends, and friends of the family, everyone wore jerseys, t-shirts. And one of his best friends, who I vaguely remember helping my family move a few times growing up, sang Gridiron Heroes at the close of the memorial. It was all very surreal, but touching.

how is there "blame" on reid for drafting? I think he's a bad coach but his best attribute by far is finding talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Defensively there've been duds...but he's got a good overall record.

Since 2008 until last year the Eagles drafts are looked at as being weak, someone has to take the blame for that. Lurie has been trying very hard to push that blame onto Banner and Reid, the guys he got rid of, and not Roseman the guy he kept.

Andy Reid stayed in KC. Didn't fly to AZ
He never went to KC, KC came to him in Philly. It's true he didn't fly here last night, however.

These hiring rumors are all over the place. First we are a sure thing to hire Reid before we even interview him and now he does one interview and is supposedly a lock with KC. I'll believe it when I see it. News pundits just want to get the word out first and will spout anything. Right now he is still scheduled to interview with us and I believe SD so until he cancels that, KC isn't a lock right now.

It still feels like yesterday. I hope we meet them again.

My uncle passed away at 42 this weekend. Had the memorial service yesterday. He had jumped around jobs from Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, all over. Yet remained a loyal Lions fan. My uncles decided that everyone should wear Lions gear to the memorial. Amazingly, all my family, all of his friends, and friends of the family, everyone wore jerseys, t-shirts. And one of his best friends, who I vaguely remember helping my family move a few times growing up, sang Gridiron Heroes at the close of the memorial. It was all very surreal, but touching.

My condolences

He never went to KC, KC came to him in Philly. It's true he didn't fly here last night, however.

These hiring rumors are all over the place. First we are a sure thing to hire Reid before we even interview him and now he does one interview and is supposedly a lock with KC. I'll believe it when I see it. News pundits just want to get the word out first and will spout anything. Right now he is still scheduled to interview with us and I believe SD so until he cancels that, KC isn't a lock right now.

Mort on Mike and Mike just said Reid to KC was a lock. Sounds like the Chiefs are the only team willing to let him have Heckert as his GM.

Mort on Mike and Mike just said Reid to KC was a lock. Sounds like the Chiefs are the only team willing to let him have Heckert as his GM.

They also said KC was trying to keep him from leaving KC when he never went there. The information is confused and scrambled. I'm not saying it's not going to happen, if anything being said is true, things look good for KC fans and at least they had an interview before the comments were made unlike when we were picked as the destination the other day.

Hunter S.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8808820/bill-barnwell-saturday-slate-nfl-playoff-games

fwiw Texans fans, Barnwell thinks it's all over-reaction and you'll still go to the SB

I would believe this more if football did not only have one game per week, rugby is the only comparable sport that has such a long break between games, as well as such a great number of players participating in each game, more pieces of the puzzle to be injured and make a large difference. Streaks mean a lot in a small number of games while hockey, the NBA and baseball all have streaks based on more games in shorter amounts of time. The sports are hardly comparable at all, like I said you pretty much can only look at rugby in which streaks seem to matter a lot in a small amount of games.

Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala

Busy week ahead for Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross. Will interview for GM openings w/ Jets, Panthers, Jags, Chargers.

Rooney rule candidate!

Please. I know its only an eventuality that he'll move on but Ross has been fantastic for us:(

I cant see any GM with other options taking that Jets job. They are stuck with Rex, the owner seems to meddle a ton, they are an old team way over the cap. That seems like such a long term rebuild.

Bowser

lol now it looks like Rivera and Richardson will meet tomorrow, not today. lol wtf is JR doing, vacationing with Rex in the Caribbean?

Greg

Sorry for your loss.

Godslay

Banned

Schefty is reporting the same thing. An assistant close to Reid reported that he (not Reid), is going to KC. It sounds like a done deal at this point, barring any hiccups.

I welcome Reid to the West. I think he will make KC a decent team in the coming years, and if they solve the QB puzzle then I could see them being pretty good in 2-3 years. I'm all for competition, and I hope that the Raiders, and San Diego can get it figured out too. By the time they do though it will be the end of the Manning era most likely. Unless Osweiler is good we might be back at the bottom at that point.

Ultratech

Just found this on NFL.com ranking the QBs in the playoffs. Thought this was interesting:

Weird.

So scrub refs for the Wild Card? Heh.

He'll bring in an offensive coordinator and take play calling off of Garrett's plate. I'm betting thats the extent of the changes. There's some rumors I've read that Rob Ryan could be out as DC but it's from outlier sites and I don't put much stock in that.

Yeah, I heard the rumors about possibly replacing Ryan, but who knows.

Romo won't be getting replaced this year. I think if JJ decides to do anything with Romo, it'll happen next year, but that depends on whatever happens next season.
(Prediction: Lesser than or Equal to 8-8; Cowboys being 1-2 games off making the Playoffs.)

I really wouldn't be surprised to see some changes on Defense, as it was just pitiful this season.

Bowser

La Canfora tweets

sorry, my bad here- deal between Chiefs and Andy Reid is NOW imminent. As in will be finalized likely by end of day

Reid will not be traveling to San Diego or Arizona. Issues of staff and structure were hashed out today.

A deal between the Chiefs and Andy Reid is not imminent following latest meetings. expect sweeping changes and announcement likely today...

Schefty is reporting the same thing. An assistant close to Reid reported that he (not Reid), is going to KC. It sounds like a done deal at this point, barring any hiccups.

I welcome Reid to the West. I think he will make KC a decent team in the coming years, and if they solve the QB puzzle then I could see them being pretty good in 2-3 years. I'm all for competition, and I hope that the Raiders, and San Diego can get it figured out too. By the time they do though it will be the end of the Manning era most likely. Unless Osweiler is good we might be back at the bottom at that point.

I wonder what assistant? If it is Marty then I feel really bad for Chiefs fans. That guy was so bad and the biggest thing holding back the Eagles the last few years, 2012 excluded.

It'll be interesting to see what Qb Reid/Kc target in the draft, lot of interesting prospects even though done are quite Luck/Rg3 level

Ultratech said:
I really wouldn't be surprised to see some changes on Defense, as it was just pitiful this season.
The Cowboys defense was completely decimated by injury. One of the most beat-up units in the league. They lost key player after key player.

It'll be interesting to see what Qb Reid/Kc target in the draft, lot of interesting prospects even though done are quite Luck/Rg3 level

I could see Reid working with Geno Smith. Andy does like to grab the 2nd/3rd round guys who are maybe a bit looked over. I wonder if he would be willing to trade down to the end of the first and grab a guy there. Is UGA's QB coming out?

Godslay

Banned
I wonder what assistant? If it is Marty then I feel really bad for Chiefs fans. That guy was so bad and the biggest thing holding back the Eagles the last few years, 2012 excluded.

Maybe I misread it, thought it sounded like the assistant is going with Reid, he might be talking about Reid:

One assistant coach aligned with Reid even told ESPN on Thursday morning that he is going to Kansas City, not Arizona.

I could see Reid working with Geno Smith. Andy does like to grab the 2nd/3rd round guys who are maybe a bit looked over. I wonder if he would be willing to trade down to the end of the first and grab a guy there. Is UGA's QB coming out?
Murry? I'm interested to see what could happen with Tajh Boyd, Ej Manuel, and Wilson

Hunter S.

By the time they do though it will be the end of the Manning era most likely. Unless Osweiler is good we might be back at the bottom at that point.

Come now, you got to live in the moment, especially when your team is playing as good as practically possible. John won his super bowls at 37 and 38. Brady is only one year younger than Manning, both could be good for quite a few more years (Please not Brady). It could work out that the Broncos either get another guy over Osweiler in the mean time, and even if not we have so little to judge Osweiler on other than he is learning to win and can hand off the ball, and take knees really well.

Godslay

Banned

They're in a tough spot for a QB. Is Geno good enough for that #1? Is there anyone else out there in the draft? Not many FA QBs available in 2013 either. Who could they trade for? Alex Smith, Kolb, Flynn?

I wonder if they don't find a different guy and trade out of that #1 spot.

I guess I don't really know what they should do.

Top Bottom