• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

They're in a tough spot for a QB. Is Geno good enough for that #1? Is there anyone else out there in the draft? Not many FA QBs available in 2013 either. Who could they trade for? Alex Smith, Kolb, Flynn?

I wonder if they don't find a different guy and trade out of that #1 spot.

I guess I don't really know what they should do.
Atleast they have the option of any Qb they want in the draft, I'm sure once combine comes well have some surprise risers

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I haven't really seen Geno Smith play but if he's something similar to the play style of McRibb, I'll be shocked if Reid passes him up.

Godslay

Banned
Come now, you got to live in the moment, especially when your team is playing as good as practically possible. John won his super bowls at 37 and 38. Brady is only one year younger than Manning, both could be good for quite a few more years (Please not Brady). It could work out that the Broncos either get another guy over Osweiler in the mean time, and even if not we have so little to judge Osweiler on other than he is learning to win and can hand off the ball, and take knees really well.

I am living in the moment to a certain degree. Trust me I'm enjoying this season.

Even with that said, it's pretty well agreed upon that we've got Manning for 5 years max. It really depends on what happens in terms of his longevity. If he wins big, then he is going to retire (big = 2 SBs). If we don't win big then he will be here the 5 years giving it his all, most likely retiring at the end of the contract assuming his health holds.

If we win big, it's likely that we will have the down years following the retirement, just like we did with John. Unless Brock is damn good, and the team reloads sufficiently. Most likely we will be decent to bad for awhile, and another team in the division will likely take over.

Similar situation if we don't win big. Manning retires, another team ascents, unless Brock is great and the team reloads. If he is just okay, and we exhale, then someone in the division is going to ascend.

The only question in my mind is how fast it is going to happen.

Edit: As far as I can tell Brock is the guy. He was drafted young so that he could develop under Manning. People may laugh and point at Curtis Painter and compare him to Osweiler, but I don't think Painter was selected to be developed. He was backup QB material from the get go. Osweiler was drafted on his potential to be developed. He knows that he is being developed and is the go to guy when Manning is done. Hanie is the backup, and Osweiler pretty much shadows Manning at this point.

Kind of surprised at the Reid to KC idea. Not expected, but hey, they must be promising him a lot. The Haley to AZ thing kind of makes sense though. Fitz probably loves the idea. If that happened, would be very interesting to see what the Steelers do for an OC. I'm not even sure where they would begin to look.
Norv

effzee

how is there "blame" on reid for drafting? I think he's a bad coach but his best attribute by far is finding talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Defensively there've been duds...but he's got a good overall record.

The thing there is no clear distinction who made what moves and from when to when.

When Reid came in we had Tom Modrak. He was responsible for some of the original studs we found in drafts. Him and Reid didn't see eye to eye so he was let go. I think he went to Buffalo. Still some conflicting reports on who was the real man behind some of the good moves.

Also keep in mind Reid inherited some really good players from the previous staff put together by Ray Rhodes.

From Modrak on it gets really confusing on who did what. Reid held the title of VP of player personnel and he did have considerable say in drafts and FAs. So did Banner and Heckert. Depending on who you believe it was all Reid, all Banner, all Heckert, or some combo of the three.

Then after the 08-09 NFCCG, they really felt like they needed to make some changes. Along with blowing up the OLINE, letting Dawkins walk, they also changed up the FO. Heckert was on his way out and Howie Roseman, the guy with no football background whatsoever was promoted to GM. Maybe Banner didn't see eye to eye with Heckert and its also why he already fired him as soon as he took over the Browns.

The drafts have been disasters since basically 2006, before Heckert was let go and Howie took over, with few exceptions like Maclin and McCoy. The defensive picks have been horrendous. Don't know who gets majority of the blame but you can't let Reid slide here since at that time he had Heckert at his side.. He had personnel power and Lurie trusted him completely. Its why Lurie let him make the dumb coaching staff moves.

There were also reports that Reid and Howie collided and with Heckert out Reid was left by himself vs Banner and or Howie. Apparently Howie pulled the trigger on trading McNabb which Reid was completely against.

Who knows. Hopefully KC gets the good Reid. Not the dumb Reid who made crazy moves with players and coaches. Do know his offense won't change much especially if Marty is coming with him.

Bears update:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Report: Bears request interview with Bruce Arians

Cutler and that offensive line with Arians running the offense and making play calls? :J N FUCKING C. Cutler will be dead by Week 4.

Hunter S.

I am living in the moment to a certain degree. Trust me I'm enjoying this season.

Even with that said, it's pretty well agreed upon that we've got Manning for 5 years max. It really depends on what happens in terms of his longevity. If he wins big, then he is going to retire (big = 2 SBs). If we don't win big then he will be here the 5 years giving it his all, most likely retiring at the end of the contract assuming his health holds.

If we win big, it's likely that we will have the down years following the retirement, just like we did with John. Unless Brock is damn good, and the team reloads sufficiently. Most likely we will be decent to bad for awhile, and another team in the division will likely take over.

Similar situation if we don't win big. Manning retires, another team ascents, unless Brock is great and the team reloads. If he is just okay, and we exhale, then someone in the division is going to ascend.

The only question in my mind is how fast it is going to happen.

Edit: As far as I can tell Brock is the guy. He was drafted young so that he could develop under Manning. People may laugh and point at Curtis Painter and compare him to Osweiler, but I don't think Painter was selected to be developed. He was backup QB material from the get go. Osweiler was drafted on his potential to be developed. He knows that he is being developed and is the go to guy when Manning is done. Hanie is the backup, and Osweiler pretty much shadows Manning at this point.

I only brought up the live in the moment because we have the luxury. hahaha. Anyways, what happened with the last drop to mediocrity by the Broncos had to do with the also immediate fall of Terrel Davis, and Brian Griese being Elway's replacement. Brock Osweiler was far more impressive in one year at Arizona state the Griese ever was in 3-4 years at Michigan in terms of personal stat success. Of course, we can only wait.

The other reason I think the broncos have a less chance of falling has to do with a lot of the rising stars on both defense and offense being rather young. From Thomas, Decker, Von Miller. Only main guys aging are Bailey and Dumerville. Both seem likely to remain if they can play as long as Peyton does. And yes, Super Bowls followed by mediocrity is often normal and few teams defy it. Elway's leadership as vice executive has been nothing, but successful so far. I see him as continuing to help make good choices, especially now as he made sure Bowlen would spend the money to make the broncos competitive again, which was not happening before Elway signed on.

it looks like Wario64 is actually banned, anyone knows why?

He responded to a LTTP thread saying he thought the person wasn't late enough to the party. He claims on twitter that it's a perma. The mod indicated it's for 2 weeks. I'm more inclined to believe the mod.

34tBM.jpg

He prob gonna end up on NFLN replacing Sapp..lol

Was reported today that the contract for his gig at ESPN is just awaiting his final game with the Ravens this weekend...and his signature...and for a background check to ensure the bodies will never be found. I kid, Ray! I kid. Please dont stab me.

Quikies83

They're in a tough spot for a QB. Is Geno good enough for that #1? Is there anyone else out there in the draft? Not many FA QBs available in 2013 either. Who could they trade for? Alex Smith, Kolb, Flynn?

I wonder if they don't find a different guy and trade out of that #1 spot.

I guess I don't really know what they should do.

No, no, and no. We're dying for a first round QB.. Even if we have to reach a bit in the first.

BlackGhost:

Manti Te'o or Jarvis Jones?
I'm torn at this point I love Manti/jones, and I'm afraid of Jones injury/health history right now. I really just want to trade down. I'd add Werner/Moore into the mix. Manti could be a great face for our Defense and Afc north.
I'd love to trade down and still get one of them.

Top Bottom