• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

bionic77 said:
Heh, I know you're being facetious but if anything I think the rule is almost insulting to minority candidates more often than not. Honestly - if Kansas City had Andy Reid in mind as their coach and he's their #1 guy do you honestly think that Keith Armstrong was ever under any real consideration?

Grover Cleveland said:
The spirit of the rule is good, and in theory it would work to promote more minorities in the coaching ranks. But in practice, it's terrible. Instead of more minorities getting actual chances to land these jobs, teams are just bringing in the same three or four dudes and giving them "interviews" just to comply with the rule when they've (the team) already made their decision anyway. It's a total waste of everyone's time.
Bingo.

Kind of surprised at the Reid to KC idea. Not expected, but hey, they must be promising him a lot. The Haley to AZ thing kind of makes sense though. Fitz probably loves the idea. If that happened, would be very interesting to see what the Steelers do for an OC. I'm not even sure where they would begin to look.

squicken

I've driven through Tejas, from Amarillo and El Paso all the way across and back several times. Long and boring drive. The worst scenery of any state I've traveled through and it takes a whole day. I've been to/through 41 states. Nevada also sucks, but it's smaller.

Eastern New Mexico isn't much fun either. Same with Western Kansas-Eastern Colorado. Never been up to the Badlands but I can't see how it's worse

MechDX

Heh, I know you're being facetious but if anything I think the rule is almost insulting to minority candidates more often than not. Honestly - if Kansas City had Andy Reid in mind as their coach and he's their #1 guy do you honestly thing that Keith Armstrong was ever under any real consideration?

Didnt the Cowboys do this when they fired Wade? Already basically had signed Garrett then randomly interviewed one of their black assistants just to comply?

Spectral Glider said:
If that happened, would be very interesting to see what the Steelers do for an OC. I'm not even sure where they would begin to look.
Bruce Arians comes home. Ben breaks his ankle again doing a jig.

effzee

Kind of surprised at the Reid to KC idea. Not expected, but hey, they must be promising him a lot. The Haley to AZ thing kind of makes sense though. Fitz probably loves the idea. If that happened, would be very interesting to see what the Steelers do for an OC. I'm not even sure where they would begin to look.

Marty!

On the Reid rumors...

I'd actually prefer him going to KC and or SD over Arizona. Get out of the NFC.

Though KC is surprising because that seems like a much bigger project than Arizona, which has a defense, or SD, which has a QB. Or did.

Fox318

All minorities are included under the Rooney Rule.

Which is a garbage rule by the way. The spirit of the rule is good, and in theory it would work to promote more minorities in the coaching ranks. But in practice, it's terrible. Instead of more minorities getting actual chances to land these jobs, teams are just bringing in the same three or four dudes and giving them "interviews" just to comply with the rule when they've (the team) already made their decision anyway. It's a total waste of everyone's time.

But is it minorities in America or in NFL coaching organizations?

There are no Dutch or gator coaches. I demand that they get interviews!

effzee

Bruce Arians comes home. Ben breaks his ankle again doing a jig.

Speaking of Arians, any updates or rumors on where he might go?

I'd figure after two rings with the Steelers and now the job he did in Indy that he will for sure get a HC job.

I know some Philly reporters think he is the guy the Eagles will eventually end up with.

effzee said:
Though KC is surprising because that seems like a much bigger project than Arizona, which has a defense, or SD, which has a QB. Or did.
KC has defensive talent. Their defense is consistently put in a horrible positions thanks to bottom of the barrel QB play, etc. If Reid can get a QB in place, he can do some things with that team.

MechDX

btw loser bros, and I do Kings of Losers, Oilers fans. Today is the 20 year anniversary of Oilers-Bills.

Fitting. Texans will wear alternate helmets this weekend to honor this grand anniversary:

toilers_zps3ad9df14.gif

Striker

KC has defensive talent. Their defense is consistently put in a horrible positions thanks to bottom of the barrel QB play, etc. If Reid can get a QB in place, he can do some things with that team.
One of the better RB's in the league too. We know Andy loves running the ball. :p

Seriously though, if Andy can get a semi-decent QB in there the Chiefs should at the very least contend for a Wild Card.

Smokey

btw loser bros, and I do Kings of Losers, Oilers fans. Today is the 20 year anniversary of Oilers-Bills.

I was 6 and not even living in Texas at the time. I am glad I did not experience this game. It seems to be burned into everybody's memory. Not mine!

Cruz expected to look for 8-10 million per year from the Giants:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/on_receiving_end_HNxZ5ewtqMvKqFlZLrp39M

A year ago, the free agent market produced some hefty salaries for receivers and Cruz will benefit from that spending spree. After all, he compares favorably to DeSean Jackson (five years, $47 million), Robert Meachem (four years, $25.9 million) and Pierre Garcon (five years, $42.5 million). Cruz’ two-year totals (168 catches, 2,628 yards, 19 touchdowns) are better than any two seasons put together by Vincent Jackson and he signed a five year, $55.6 million mega deal with the Buccaneers.

“I feel positive,’’ said Cruz, a Paterson, N.J., native. “Obviously you never know, it’s all negotiations but I feel positive that I’m gonna be in New York for a very long time and I feel positive myself and my agents will get something done with the management of the Giants.’’

Factoring into a new contract for Cruz is how the Giants view Nicks, who is entering the final year on his deal, scheduled to make $2.4 million. Nicks is coming off an injury-slowed season (53 receptions, 692 yards, three TDs) and will likely have to play out the 2013 season to re-establish his value.

Victor is an RFA so the situation is very much like Mike Wallace. The Giants could play hard ball and choose to give him a first round tender and if some team does want him they would get a first rounder out of the deal. I'm guessing Reese wants him at 6-7 million per year.

eznark

Banned
eznark said:
Continued Salsa was always going to get pricey.:)

The challenge for Reese really is how to keep both Cruz and Nicks. If that's what he wants that is. He's drafted a slew of WR since (Jernigan, Barden, Randle) so we'll see how that goes...

Current D Line coach for OC; its the hot new trend

harSon

Banned
All minorities are included under the Rooney Rule.

Which is a garbage rule by the way. The spirit of the rule is good, and in theory it would work to promote more minorities in the coaching ranks. But in practice, it's terrible. Instead of more minorities getting actual chances to land these jobs, teams are just bringing in the same three or four dudes and giving them "interviews" just to comply with the rule when they've (the team) already made their decision anyway. It's a total waste of everyone's time.

Eh, it works in some cases. Weren't the Steelers likely to go with Whisenhunt before they were impressed when interviewing Tomlin?

Bowser

Eh, it works in some cases. Weren't the Steelers likely to go with Whisenhunt before they were impressed when interviewing Tomlin?

Yeah, I remember hearing that the Steelers job was likely to come down to either Whisenhunt or Grimm before Tomlin was actually hired

Giants update:

Giants may be getting UConn Football Offensive Coordinator George DeLeone, not sure what position he would take on the Giants staff. - From Hartford Courant

The assistant offensive line position is open for the Giants after Matt Rhule moved on.

Ooo yeah I forgot about that Rg3/romo thing after the game, that shits hilarious! Imagine how Romo must of felt!?
Like shit!

So Jerry Jones says that big changes are coming in Dallas and that no one should feel comfortable. I wonder what he can really do, the GM isnt going anywhere, and he isnt going to change the HC or QB.

MechDX

So Jerry Jones says that big changes are coming in Dallas and that no one should feel comfortable. I wonder what he can really do, the GM isnt going anywhere, and he isnt going to change the HC or QB.

BIgger screen for his stadium. Cant let those people in Houston get the drop on him!

Hunter S.

One of the better RB's in the league too. We know Andy loves running the ball. :p

Seriously though, if Andy can get a semi-decent QB in there the Chiefs should at the very least contend for a Wild Card.

I do not see KC clicking quickly, even if Reid heads the main duties of the organization. Going back to 7-9 or 8-8 seems the highest to reach. That would not be enough this year and most years. The chargers are still in the best position to be more than negligible peons to the rest of the league nest year.

yankeehater said:
So Jerry Jones says that big changes are coming in Dallas and that no one should feel comfortable.
He'll bring in an offensive coordinator and take play calling off of Garrett's plate. I'm betting thats the extent of the changes. There's some rumors I've read that Rob Ryan could be out as DC but it's from outlier sites and I don't put much stock in that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I just googled it. Not gonna lie when I saw it was called "the comeback" I expected the bills got humiliated again but I was wrong!

Quikies83

We (KC) have a great bit of defensive talent.. On the QB, first pick of the draft for Reid to pick one.
I'm hoping we move from a 3-4 back to a 4-3.

Pretty exciting day, so far, for us Chief fans.

Every player and coach to have an entrance theme and video at every home game. Themes will be available for download at each seat in the stadium.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Sounds like nothing.

Most coaches tend to get at least 3 years before getting fired (unless they were experimenting with an interim coach like Romeo Crennel) so Garrett has at least one more season (although you could argue he was practically the head coach under Wade Phillips for a while)

And you're right, he won't fire himself. The only question mark I think is Romo since he's due for a new contract.

He'll bring in an offensive coordinator and take play calling off of Garrett's plate. I'm betting thats the extent of the changes. There's some rumors I've read that Rob Ryan could be out as DC but it's from outlier sites and I don't put much stock in that.

So he'll do Jason Garrett like Wade Phillips? I thought Garrett was the offensive playcaller though.

Quikies83

@RapSheet
Andy Reid is telling #Chiefs owner Clark Hunt that he will bring ex-#Browns GM Tom Heckert with him to KC. They worked together with #Eagles

So long Pioli?? Please be true

effzee

Oh I just know Reid will all of sudden decide to run the ball now with Charles. I'll fly out to KC personally to slap him across his walrus face if he does.

With the way the Rooneys ran him out of town, there's probably better odds that Santonio comes back.

I missed this. What happened?

Hunter S.

Sounds like nothing.

Most coaches tend to get at least 3 years before getting fired (unless they were experimenting with an interim coach like Romeo Crennel) so Garrett has at least one more season (although you could argue he was practically the head coach under Wade Phillips for a while)

And you're right, he won't fire himself. The only question mark I think is Romo since he's due for a new contract.

So he'll do Jason Garrett like Wade Phillips? I thought Garrett was the offensive playcaller though.

Crennel only got the job when neck beard beat the Packers and he looked inspiring. No neck beard no Crennel. Once again the broncos helped the Chiefs suck.

Is neck beard still in Dallas?

MechDX

Watt named AFC Defensive player of the month for December. Our lone bright spot...we should trade him for like 3 first rounders.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Whiz.
Eastern New Mexico isn't much fun either. Same with Western Kansas-Eastern Colorado. Never been up to the Badlands but I can't see how it's worse
But they don't stretch for 800+ miles.
Speaking of Arians, any updates or rumors on where he might go?

I'd figure after two rings with the Steelers and now the job he did in Indy that he will for sure get a HC job.

I know some Philly reporters think he is the guy the Eagles will eventually end up with.
Arians can't do anything until Indy is out of the playoffs.

squicken

The ultimate kick in the nuts. Burned all my Oilers gear after that game. just couldnt take it anymore.

KC next year sort of sealed it for me. I didn't give a shit that they left. Couldn't believe that dumbfuck Bud Adams thought he could get more money after that. Still a terrible owner. Hope he never dies and has to watch his team always suck

effzee

@RapSheet
Andy Reid is telling #Chiefs owner Clark Hunt that he will bring ex-#Browns GM Tom Heckert with him to KC. They worked together with #Eagles

So long Pioli?? Please be true

Makes sense. Feeling in Philly was that after another NFCCG loss, they wanted to make some changes. And they did. Even if they didn't make too much sense. Heckert was replaced by boy wonder Howie, our current GM. Now Lurie claims Howie is only fully responsible for this last draft, placing majority of the blame for the last few (5!) drafts on Reid and Heckert.

Don't know how much is true or just saving face, but if Howie is the culprit making the bad moves, Reid + Heckert is a good team up. But if Heckert and Reid were the ones making the bad decisions, and Heckert's time with the Browns attests to that, then it might not be so good.

Then again it all depends on which Reid KC gets. The one who came to Philly with a full 5 year plan in his 3 inch binder and that executed it almost perfectly? Or the Reid of the past 5 seasons who had no clue, plan, and was playing games experimenting with the DC position?

Smokey

Watt named AFC Defensive player of the month for December. Our lone bright spot...we should trade him for like 3 first rounders.

We have sucked it up the last month but I guarantee you this:

We are going to beat the Bengals on Saturday
Then we're gonna head to Foxboro the following week and win
Then we're gonna go to Denver and beat them too

We'll get to the SB and everybody will say what a great run it was

#PaulWestphal, #BullsonParade

wooooooooo

MechDX

wooooooooo

slow-clap.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

wooooooooo

Guarantee? Does that mean you'll refund all of Miguel's jersey money?

Just found this on NFL.com ranking the QBs in the playoffs. Thought this was interesting:

ONE MORE OBSERVATION

In the past, the officiating crews that worked the playoffs were the same crews that worked together during the regular season. This season, however, the postseason crews will be made up based on a rating system, comprised of the highest-rated individual officials. The lower-ranked officials will work Wild Card Weekend.

Weird.

Top Bottom