• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

effzee

You were sure? Still haunts your soul?

delhomme.gif

When the Cards beat the Falcons I was giddy with delight, thinking we had a cakewalk to the NFC Championship game. Then we returned the opening kickoff to midfield, and I think 3 runs later we were in the endzone up 7-0. BofA was rocking...and then it all fell apart :(

We haven't been to the playoffs since...

That was the exact same story for us against the Bucs back in the 02 NFCCG.

I know that feel :(

Dragon

Banned
You were sure? Still haunts your soul?

delhomme.gif

When the Cards beat the Falcons I was giddy with delight, thinking we had a cakewalk to the NFC Championship game. Then we returned the opening kickoff to midfield, and I think 3 runs later we were in the endzone up 7-0. BofA was rocking...and then it all fell apart :(

We haven't been to the playoffs since...

I was in the Fox and Hound in Uptown for that game. Man the people there wanted to murder Delhomme.

squicken

I like Lovie as a coach in general. But if he couldn't find an offense coordinator in Chicago, why would he be able to find one in Buffalo?

Bowser

Cards update:

With Andy Reid still in talks with the Kansas City Chiefs, and his scheduled trip to Arizona still in limbo, the Cardinals are preparing other options. In addition to their interview with Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, scheduled for Saturday in Denver, the Cards are also preparing to request permission to interview Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, league sources said. Haley was formerly Arizona's offensive coordinator.

Browns update:

And with the Browns focused on landing a coach before addressing their reshaped front office, league sources said the team is high on Seattle's John Idzik, who has a strong contract/salary cap background, as well as former NFL personnel executive Mike Lombardi, in a talent evaluation role.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21491721/coaching-roundup-teams-line-up-to-interview-chip-kelly-in-arizona

Bowser

La Canfora reports the Chargers have arranged talks with Reid for this weekend, but it remains to be seen if he makes it out there. If the Chargers really have requested to interview him, he'd be an idiot to take the KC job. I think Reid could thrive in SD with Rivers.

Reid to KC seems more and more likely:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

From @mortreport and me: Chiefs on verge of a deal with Andy Reid. One source said “the major issues have been discussed and agreed upon.”

Bowser

Looks like early bird gets the (fat) worm:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
From @mortreport and me: Cheifs on verge of a deal with Andy Reid. One source said "the major issues have been discussed and agreed upon."

Chris Mortensen @mortreport
Andy Reid and #Cheifs are on verge of a deal. Story up on ESPN.com short on on SportsCenter via myself and @AdamSchefter

Bowser

Link for Reid to Chiefs report: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8809040/andy-reid-verge-agreement-kansas-city-chiefs-sources

Bowser

ESPN is on the verge of adding Ray Lewis to its talent lineup.

Multiple sources told SI.com the Ravens linebacker is close to signing a multi-year contract with the network. At ESPN, Lewis is expected to have a significant role on the network's Monday Night Countdown program. As with most ESPN NFL talent, Lewis would also be featured on multiple platforms, including ESPN Radio.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130103/ray-lewis-espn/#ixzz2GvZv4QTb

Bowser

Then why does Pioli still have a job if they are thinking of replacing him?

Cause they're KC and they're fucking retarded. Read this:

Owner Clark Hunt released a statement announcing Crennel’s firing. In it, he apologized to fans for the terrible season and said this about Pioli: "The entire football operation will remain under review, and there may be additional changes to come. No final determination has been made at this point on the future of general manager Scott Pioli.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Hunt will lead the charge to hire a new coach and then Hunt and the new coach will discuss the direction they want to take at general manager. That is very unusual, especially when there is a strong-willed general manager such as Pioli in place.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/69466/romeo-crennel-out-scott-pioli-in-limbo

I have a co-worker who moved from Poughkeepsie->Austin->Raleigh. She couldn't wait to get out of Austin. Said it was brown all the time. Dead grass, dusty, etc. Hated it.

When you hate Austin worse than Poughkeepsie, NY... damn.

She's fucking nuts. Austin is extremely green from Feb-July (can get brownish around late July/August). It's even pretty green in the winter!

Bowser

Albert Breer says Reid is still scheduled to interview with the Cards and Chargers but KC is trying to get him to cancel and lock him up.

This tweet made me chuckle a little.

Peter King @SI_PeterKing

RT @discoTab311: How do the Reid rumors affect the RooneyRule? ... KC interviewed Atl spec-tms coach Keith Armstrong Tues. He is black.

Rooney rule is so stupid.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I drove to el Paso from Houston once. You don't really understand how big Texas is until you do that. 85mph speed limit was sweet tho. Means you could go 95-100!

I've driven through Tejas, from Amarillo and El Paso all the way across and back several times. Long and boring drive. The worst scenery of any state I've traveled through and it takes a whole day. I've been to/through 41 states. Nevada also sucks, but it's smaller.

Godslay

Banned
Then why does Pioli still have a job if they are thinking of replacing him?

Not so fast. What I understand is happening to a certain degree is that Hunt is using Pioli as insurance to a certain degree. If they land Reid, then Reid is a Coach/GM, and Pioli is either fired or shuffled around into obscurity within the Chiefs org until his contract is up. If Hunt can't land a coach/gm like Reid and have to settle for a less experienced coach, then Pioli stays on and plays GM in the meanwhile. It seems like a smart plan until things become more clear.

Landing Reid would be great for the Chiefs imo. He's a good coach. The problems still remains that they don't have a QB and the draft is dry for the position. It can turn around quick for them if they get a QB though, even just a Smith tier guy imo.

cajunator

Banned
I've driven through Tejas, from Amarillo and El Paso all the way across and back several times. Long and boring drive. The worst scenery of any state I've traveled through and it takes a whole day. I've been to/through 41 states. Nevada also sucks, but it's smaller.

I heard the scenery is gorgeous around Possum Kingdom Lake though.

Bowser

Why isn't their a rule to promote Hispanic coaches? Last time I checked Ron Rivera is the only one.

What about female coaches or Asian coaches?

The Rooney Rule isn't a rule that black candidates must be interviewed, it's a rule that minority coaches must be interviewed which includes Asians and Hispanics.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Loser of my bet has to wear the winner's team on a shirt for our super bowl party. He's a Bills fan...

I'm sure WanderingWind is salivating thinking of me wearing that terrible teams logo.

Why isn't their a rule to promote Hispanic coaches? Last time I checked Ron Rivera is the only one.

What about female coaches or Asian coaches?

All minorities are included under the Rooney Rule.

Which is a garbage rule by the way. The spirit of the rule is good, and in theory it would work to promote more minorities in the coaching ranks. But in practice, it's terrible. Instead of more minorities getting actual chances to land these jobs, teams are just bringing in the same three or four dudes and giving them "interviews" just to comply with the rule when they've (the team) already made their decision anyway. It's a total waste of everyone's time.

Striker

La Canfora reports the Chargers have arranged talks with Reid for this weekend, but it remains to be seen if he makes it out there. If the Chargers really have requested to interview him, he'd be an idiot to take the KC job. I think Reid could thrive in SD with Rivers.
I like the talent in KC too. They just need to find a QB. I wonder if Andy goes to KC that Mike Vick will attempt to follow.

Top Bottom