• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

KingGondo

Banned
I don't like how this article seems to imply the Browns won't get either guy.
It was pretty wishy-washy. I think Banner and Haslam will do a good job selling O'Brien or Kelly that it's a new day in Cleveland.

I'm sorry I shouldn't of said that, should of thought about your feelings. If we didn't get chip ...hm I think i would want whiz.. Maybe Obrien idk yet.....but then again he might Share my love for great TEs
Nah, I'm just joking. I'd be a bit bummed if Weeden is traded, but I'll still be a Browns fan.

Unless they draft Landry Jones. Fuck that scrub.

It was pretty wishy-washy. I think Banner and Haslam will do a good job selling O'Brien or Kelly that it's a new day in Cleveland.

Nah, I'm just joking. I'd be a bit bummed if Weeden is traded, but I'll still be a Browns fan.

Unless they draft Landry Jones. Fuck that scrub.
I hate Landry too, and don't worry I doubt he's going any place. His contract is fully promised, he's a smart old guy

squicken

Tannehill's stats on the year:

The numbers that jump out the most to me are 40-plus passes and TD's. While he definitely missed some big passes this year I think this mostly speaks to just how dire the Dolphins need for a deep (and redzone) threat WR is.

Yeah by the second half of the year, teams kind of picked up on your schemes and made them go on long drives. It's so miserable watching WRs barely get open and then never make anyone miss. Definitely need an infusion there, but there doesn't seem to be any big time WRs in this draft. Or really any skill players. Not even sure about RBs

Dolphins MVP for two years running:
Brandon Fields
Gross punting average: 1st (50.2)
Net punting average: 6th (41.2)
Inside the 20: T-11th (29)
Touchbacks: T-38th (9)
Return average: 29th (11.3)
What a beast.

Yeah by the second half of the year, teams kind of picked up on your schemes and made them go on long drives. It's so miserable watching WRs barely get open and then never make anyone miss. Definitely need an infusion there, but there doesn't seem to be any big time WRs in this draft. Or really any skill players. Not even sure about RBs
I think free agency might end up being the best way to fix the WR situation, and the picks could be spent on various other needs (T, CB, TE, etc).

squicken

Andrew Siciliano ‏@AndrewSiciliano
Adrian Peterson's 409 yards in two games against the Packers would have made him the Cardinals leading rusher.

Adrian Peterson's 409 yards in two games against the Packers would have made him the Cardinals leading rusher.
Hahah, what! I wonder what team Beanie will play for next season
But honestly reminds me of the Browns last season

Jerry Reese is on WFAN. Some bullet points:

- Is Jerry Reese looking to rebuild? "The team’s going to look different," he said, "but we don’t have to blow the thing up here right now."

- Jerry Reese plans to reach out to Michael Strahan to see if he'll talk to Jason Pierre-Paul about fighting through double/triple teams he's been seeing.

- Jerry Reese says again of Justin Tuck: "We do believe he’ll come back, be healthy, have a good season and be the old Tuck that we know."

- Reese wasn't as strong about Corey Webster's return, said he "struggled mightily" vs. Baltimore. Does think he'll bounce back, though.

- On Terrell Thomas, Reese said they'll reach out to him to see where he is, is unsure about his return and he might be one of those guys that has to move to safety moving forward. (considering the money he is owed, doubtful he returns)

- Reese: "I don’t think there’s any question that (David Wilson) can be the lead back" in the NFL. (Ahmad is either outright gone or will be brought back for less money)

Nap time is best time

tumblr_m3hkirykLk1qjq9e2.gif

Cagey

Banned
Jerry Reese is on WFAN. Some bullet points:

- Is Jerry Reese looking to rebuild? "The team’s going to look different," he said, "but we don’t have to blow the thing up here right now."

- Jerry Reese plans to reach out to Michael Strahan to see if he'll talk to Jason Pierre-Paul about fighting through double/triple teams he's been seeing.

- Jerry Reese says again of Justin Tuck: "We do believe he’ll come back, be healthy, have a good season and be the old Tuck that we know."

- Reese wasn't as strong about Corey Webster's return, said he "struggled mightily" vs. Baltimore. Does think he'll bounce back, though.

- On Terrell Thomas, Reese said they'll reach out to him to see where he is, is unsure about his return and he might be one of those guys that has to move to safety moving forward. (considering the money he is owed, doubtful he returns)

- Reese: "I don’t think there’s any question that (David Wilson) can be the lead back" in the NFL. (Ahmad is either outright gone or will be brought back for less money)

Given it's an interview with the media, I'm content with what he revealed and how he answered some of these questions. If he wants JPP to reach out to Strahan for advice, maybe he should reach out to Fewell and have JPP moved to LE.

Cagey said:
maybe he should reach out to Fewell and have JPP moved to LE.
Osi is gone. JPP will start at LE regardless.

Outside of that, he'll be moved all over the line just as Tuck, Kiwi etc. are. That's not new. He was moved all over the line in 2011 as well.

Godslay

Banned
I only brought up the live in the moment because we have the luxury. hahaha. Anyways, what happened with the last drop to mediocrity by the Broncos had to do with the also immediate fall of Terrel Davis, and Brian Griese being Elway's replacement. Brock Osweiler was far more impressive in one year at Arizona state the Griese ever was in 3-4 years at Michigan in terms of personal stat success. Of course, we can only wait.

The other reason I think the broncos have a less chance of falling has to do with a lot of the rising stars on both defense and offense being rather young. From Thomas, Decker, Von Miller. Only main guys aging are Bailey and Dumerville. Both seem likely to remain if they can play as long as Peyton does. And yes, Super Bowls followed by mediocrity is often normal and few teams defy it. Elway's leadership as vice executive has been nothing, but successful so far. I see him as continuing to help make good choices, especially now as he made sure Bowlen would spend the money to make the broncos competitive again, which was not happening before Elway signed on.

Yeah, I don't know what will happen. I have faith in Osweiler over this time period to be the man when Manning is done. I also trust Elway as well. I hope he does the right thing and makes good moves. I guess only time will tell, and as we've talked about we have to enjoy what is in front of us. We can talk about this stuff February 4th!

No, no, and no. We're dying for a first round QB.. Even if we have to reach a bit in the first.

Barkley? Who would you take with that pick even if it was a reach?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Tell him you just misspoke when you said you can't run his offense, Brandon!

He'll believe you!

Honestly unless something drastic happens I expect at worse that Weeden will still get a shot at being the starter next year.

At worse it just won't be handed to him and he'll be in an open competition with a FA or rookie.

That's amazing.

What is it with Kelly that gets you guys so hot and bothered? What makes you think he can run an NFL team/offense?

Striker

Given it's an interview with the media, I'm content with what he revealed and how he answered some of these questions. If he wants JPP to reach out to Strahan for advice, maybe he should reach out to Fewell and have JPP moved to LE.
Yeah, I hope so. Allow Kiwanuka to play the other end. Rotate Tuck in so he isn't always dinged up (probably will be anyways). Hope to see them look at DL early anyways.

From the comments, though, it seems like Reese plans to target CB very early (1st pick). I have no issue with that as Corey is gone after 2013, if not sooner. Safety seems to be in okay shape if they keep ahold of Stevie Brown, and Will Hill stays healthy.

Linebacker wasn't mentioned, but I think that position will be overhauled. Blackburn and Rivers both FA's, Boley is a likely candidate to be released, and Kiwanuka is going to the DL. Williams could be one probable starter. Health is the most important factor for these guys, notably Williams and Rivers. Look for an under-the-radar type pickup in free agency.

KingGondo

Banned
Honestly unless something drastic happens I expect at worse that Weeden will still get a shot at being the starter next year.

At worse it just won't be handed to him and he'll be in an open competition with a FA or rookie.
Yeah, there simply aren't any great options out there to replace him atm.

Like I said, I'm not too worried about it anyways. It's not like Weeden set the world on fire last year.

He didn't play well enough to be the anointed starter, especially since he'll probably be asked to run a new offensive system next year.

In other Chip Kelly news:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday...p-kelly-has-a-van-for-the-styling-and-comfort

My response to Dutch:

Pat Shurmur.

That is all.
When you get in the "what have we got to lose?" mindset I think it makes someone like Kelly a lot more appealing. There is definitely a pretty big risk involved but there is always the chance that he could bring an exciting new offense to Cleveland, and what have you got to lose?

Striker said:
From the comments, though, it seems like Reese plans to target CB very early (1st pick). I have no issue with that as Corey is gone after 2013, if not sooner.
Prefer DE or OL personally, but CB wouldn't bother me. Who though? Will a Banks or Xavier Rhodes be there at 19?

So who's the big ticket QB in next year's draft? Wouldn't it make more sense for the Chiefs to just ride out another year with what they have/pick up a veteran free agent?

They already suck, pick up the best player in the draft, suck it up again next year and pick a young QB then. Geno Smith will most likely suck.

cdyhybrid

If he can make the Browns a top 10 offense within 3 years I will crown him the greatest coach of all time.

That's not that hard. Just get a pretty boy QB that complains for a flag anytime someone looks in his general direction and they'll have no problem.

So who's the big ticket QB in next year's draft? Wouldn't it make more sense for the Chiefs to just ride out another year with what they have/pick up a veteran free agent?

They already suck, pick up the best player in the draft, suck it up again next year and pick a young QB then. Geno Smith will most likely suck.

Pretty much.

People act like the Skins paid a lot for RGIII...that's clearly not the case now, but teams have been drafting multiple 1st round picks on trash QB's for years. Giving up a couple of first rounders for a guaranteed franchise QB seems like a no brainer.

And I don't hate the Browns :(

KingGondo

Banned

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014

There might be a few underclassmen who declare (like Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville). I could also see a guy like Tajh Boyd climbing up the ranks. I think he could very definitely run a zone-read style offense at the NFL level.

jakncoke

Banned

357 as your leading rusher got to some kind of low since the 50's or some shit. that is crazy low

The exact Offense Kelly would run isn't really know, he says he adapts to his players strengths.

Also Geno really isn't all that mobile/fast

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

ESPNStatsInfo
Chiefs have played 414 games in a row w/out a win by QB they drafted. Last drafted Chiefs QB to win for them? Todd Blackledge Sept 13, 1987

Top Bottom