• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

brentech

I'd be shocked if they got more than a 3rd for Weeden at this point.
Why bother moving him? If he isn't their starter he at least has the chops to play back up for a good few years. His contract won't sink them like a first rounders' used to

That CBS article mentions that the Dorsey is all but certain to be Reid's GM. So looks like you'll be losing him Packers fans.

Reid will report directly to the owner. (they've completely handed the keys to the car to Andy Reid as mentioned earlier)

Florio also has a report up with GM dominos and how they will fall. It's Florio though so take it with a fatr grain of salt:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/g-m-dominoes-could-start-falling-soon/

1. The Jets are expected to hire 49ers exec Tom Gamble (pictured).

2. The Jaguars are expected to hire Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell.

3. The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.

4. The Cardinals are expected to promote Steve Keim.

5. The Panthers are believed to be leaning toward Giants executive Dave Gettleman.

Losing Gettleman would suck but having Ross stay put would be a plus. Losing both in the same season....:(

MechDX

While discussing the anniversary of the 93 Oilers debacle today McClain mentioned it was also the last year the bengals won a playoff game.

Coincidence?

That CBS article mentions that the Dorsey is all but certain to be Reid's GM. So looks like you'll be losing him Packers fans.

Reid will report directly to the owner. (they've completely handed the keys to the car to Andy Reid as mentioned earlier)

Florio also has a report up with GM dominos and how they will fall. It's Florio though so take it with a fatr grain of salt:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/g-m-dominoes-could-start-falling-soon/

Losing Gettleman would suck but having Ross stay put would be a plus. Losing both in the same season....:(

So Reid is in effect the GM. So is Dorsey the numbers guy? What will his responsibilities be if Reid controls personnel?

Godslay

Banned
I like you Godslay. Dont make me actively support the Broncos....

:jnc

We've yet to see what Schaub can do in the playoffs, he could snap out of his drought. Kubiak and staff will be ready. The coaching staff has Superbowl winning experience. I know that people are saying they are beatable because of things like DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average), but I feel that we are sleeping on the Texans.

Just my opinion, and it's just as likely to be wrong as it is right.

Edit:

A little read from ESPN:

The first playoff game of this NFL season pits two teams going in opposite directions. The Houston Texans, once 10-1, lost three out of four to end the year, costing themselves home-field advantage and a first-round bye in the process. The Cincinnati Bengals come into the postseason winning seven of their past eight games, with their only loss in that span coming on a last-minute field goal.

Given the momentum of these two teams, should we expect the Bengals to win in Houston this weekend? Who is more likely to win in the playoffs, a strong team that finished the year badly, or a weaker team that played its best football in December?

We can answer that using DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) and its cousin, weighted DVOA. The main statistic used by Football Outsiders, DVOA breaks down the entire season play-by-play, comparing success on each play to the league average based on a number of variables including down, distance, location on field, current score gap, quarter and opponent quality. Weighted DVOA is the same statistic, only minimizing the results of games at the beginning of the season and emphasizing those later in the year. In short, DVOA tells us which teams have played best over the course of the season, while weighted DVOA should tell us which teams are playing best right now.

The question remains, though, which of these statistics is a stronger predictor of playoff success. To find out, we went back over every playoff game in the NFL since the 1991 season, the first year for which we have calculated DVOA.

Coincidentally, that season's Super Bowl champions, the Washington Redskins, have the highest ratings of any team in our database, with a DVOA of 56.9 percent and a weighted DVOA of 52.4 percent. The Redskins that year were first in scoring offense and second in scoring defense. They went 14-2, with the two losses coming by a combined five points, and beat the Buffalo Bills 37-24 in the Super Bowl.

The weakest team to make the playoffs? That depends on which statistic you use. The 2004 St. Louis Rams went 8-8 and gave up 73 more points than they scored, and had a DVOA of minus-27.2 percent. The 2010 Seattle Seahawks, meanwhile, went 7-9, including one stretch in which they lost seven of nine games, and had a weighted DVOA of minus-31.0 percent.

The table to the right shows how often the team with the better DVOA won each playoff game, and the same information for weighted DVOA. We also looked at games in which one team had an advantage of at least 10 percent in either statistic, then 20 percent, then 30 percent, to see if there was any difference when looking at what appeared to be bigger mismatches in the postseason. It turns out entering the playoffs on a hot streak doesn't matter much at all.

Yes, teams with a higher DVOA than their opponents have the exact same win-loss record as those with an advantage in weighted DVOA. There's a little variation in matchups with greater gaps in the statistics, but no kind of pattern. In short, peaking in December is meaningless when it comes to predicting the winner of playoff games.

With that in mind, here's a quick DVOA preview of each of this weekend's four playoff games. For fun, we'll list DVOA and weighted DVOA for each team, but remember that neither is more predictive than the other. Remember also that there's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to the NFL playoffs. The 2004 Rams and 2010 Seahawks, the worst playoff teams of the DVOA era, both managed to win a playoff game.

:jnc

We've yet to see what Schaub can do in the playoffs, he could snap out of his drought. Kubiak and staff will be ready. The coaching staff has Superbowl winning experience. I know that people are saying they are beatable because of things like DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average), but I feel that we are sleeping on the Texans.

Just my opinion, and it's just as likely to be wrong as it is right.

I really don't think Schaub has it in him.

Though he could always just pull a Peyton Manning and ride his defense to a Super Bowl win. ;)

Alright, got the Rooney nonsense addressed for both positions, now we can actually get going with the hiring. Probably will promote Keim without bothering with anymore interviews but no idea how the HC search will go. We interview McCoy tomorrow in Denver and that's the only scheduled interview we have. Interest was stated for Haley interview but nothing has come of it thus far and supposedly Haley is unsure if he wants to leave Pitts. I think that's bull and I'm sure we'll end up interviewing him. Pray to the football god that we don't hire him. I wonder if that's really the extent of our search, surely there is another candidate or two we have in mind.

Godslay

Banned
I really don't think Schaub has it in him.

Though he could always just pull a Peyton Manning and ride his defense to a Super Bowl win. ;)

I see what you did there.

I think Schaub will show up. Either one of us could be right though.

I know the Pats beat them pretty badly, but to me it feels like 2010 all over again for some reason. Remember how the Jets got their head beat in by the Pats week 13? Then came back in the divisional round and beat them? With Mark Sanchez? I wouldn't be shocked to see that with the Texans. The have to burn the letter men's jackets though, it's the only way.

Alright, got the Rooney nonsense addressed for both positions, now we can actually get going with the hiring. Probably will promote Keim without bothering with anymore interviews but no idea how the HC search will go. We interview McCoy tomorrow in Denver and that's the only scheduled interview we have. Interest was stated for Haley interview but nothing has come of it thus far and supposedly Haley is unsure if he wants to leave Pitts. I think that's bull and I'm sure we'll end up interviewing him. Pray to the football god that we don't hire him. I wonder if that's really the extent of our search, surely there is another candidate or two we have in mind.

forgot to talk shit to you. crabtree owns the cardinals. just shits on them everytime we play. sucks for you guys that he's in your division :(

forgot to talk shit to you. crabtree owns the cardinals. just shits on them everytime we play. sucks for you guys that he's in your division :(

He was the one getting owned initially but yes, had a nice game when all was said and done. At least it wasn't all against P2. Not really worried about him, P2 will only get better and so will our D. Also, more fucks will be given the next time we meet. They played for Horton, but you still have to believe a team will be more motivated when they aren't having a 5 win season.

At least my prediction of the Niners never winning the SB with small hands as their QB came true! My one victory :)

I'm just amazed there are KC fans on here. No one showed up for our GAF mock draft last year. Now we just need a Bungles fan and I think we'll be covered across the board. Cue comment about EZ.

He was the one getting owned initially but yes, had a nice game when all was said and done. At least it wasn't all against P2. Not really worried about him, P2 will only get better and so will our D. Also, more fucks will be given the next time we meet. They played for Horton, but you still have to believe a team will be more motivated when they aren't having a 5 win season.

At least my prediction of the Niners never winning the SB with small hands as their QB came true! My one victory :)

never say never bruh! maybe kap suffers a devestating injury on the game winning play for the niners in the NFC championship game and alex has to play in the superbowl. and then harbs will say "alex i know this is tough but.... i really need you in the superbowl" and alex will say "i can't do this for you, jim..... but i can do it for THEM!" and he points to the rest of his teammates and they start the slow clap which builds into an eruption and then harbaugh is fired on the spot and alex becomes the first head coach/player to win a superbowl

never say never bruh! maybe kap suffers a devestating injury on the game winning play for the niners in the NFC championship game and alex has to play in the superbowl. and then harbs will say "alex i know this is tough but.... i really need you in the superbowl" and alex will say "i can't do this for you, jim..... but i can do it for THEM!" and he points to the rest of his teammates and they start the slow clap which builds into an eruption and then harbaugh is fired on the spot and alex becomes the first head coach/player to win a superbowl

jnc

I love you.

JABEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0dbwDc2FE

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
They wont. GUARANTEED. How would you feel if the Broncos lost 3 of their last 4 and Von Miller was on twitter giving away tickets the night before a big game?

wow. it might be time to take a step back.

Who gives a shit if he's giving away tickets on twitter? Also you have no idea what "focus" for every player means.

I would rather them be loose anyway, they've played way to tight the last month.
Also Kubiak needs to ban them from saying the phrase "this is the biggest game in franchise history." Now and for next year. You know what the biggest game was in franchise history? the first playoff game. you know what the next one will be? if and or when they make it to the AFC championship. Until then no fucking regular season game is bigger than that, so stop saying it and putting so much pressure on.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Chip Kelly told Colt McCoy he has plans for him.

0004_m5uc.gif

I really love this perpetual rebuilding process. Can't wait to do it again in 3 years!

Drakeon

That's the way I feel. Could be great...could be horrible...doubt it will be anywhere in between though. And I'm ok with that.

If it makes you feel better, I felt the same way about Harbaugh. Up til that point, hadn't seen a ton of College coaches come in and have success in the NFL, at least in a while (or maybe I wasn't paying attention). Or maybe Steve Spurrier/Bobby Petrino were just on my mind.

Slo

0004_m5uc.gif

I really love this perpetual rebuilding process. Can't wait to do it again in 3 years!

I've never really seen Colt play in the NFL, what was the fatal flaw in his game? At Texas he seemed to be a Kellen Moore type that could run a bit.

Bowser

UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee
Keep an eye on Jim Mora. Hearing there's interest. Keeps John Pagano & offensive coordinator is Noel Mazzone, Philip Rivers' OC at NC State.

APjuY.gif

I'm sorry Nori Chan

Top Bottom