• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

Miroku

That is not saying much either. Cutler also has been given the best WR than any other recent past QB either. History of chicago QB is not that great to compare.

Because his contract is coming up. I would agree, there isnt anything out there better in FA or draft.

Yes and we went 10-6 and almost made the playoffs if not for a few mistakes in any one of the close games. We were only blown out once. What in the world is your point? That we need and elite QB like Matthew Stafford so we can go 4-12?

effzee

Man such a sad day today. I really hope they can find someone better but I really doubt it. I dont have any numbers to bback this up but I would be willing to bet that most coaching changes dont work out, and there are so many other teams this year competing for coaches. I wish they had fired Reid last year, then they could have traded up and gotten a great QB like Wilson to build the team around. Sucks that there were 3 great QBs in the draft and the Eagles couldnt get one. Hopefully they get the new coach in place quickly and they can start this long painful rebuilding process.

Rebuilding in the NFL isn't a long 5 year plan process anymore.

Teams turnaround in a year or two all the time. They do need to make the right hires and moves at QB but its not some impossible task.

Nor is Reid the only coach who can coach in Philly.

McCoy might be an excellent coach, but if I was doing hiring I'd want to see him elevate a mediocre QB to the playoffs, not benefit from the resurgence of one of the best QBs ever.

tebow7f-1-web.jpg

Hunter S.

Personally, I hope the broncos keep defensive coach Jack Del Rio over offensive coordinator McCoy. The broncos offense will be just as potent without McCoy while Jack Del Rio turned the D into a top NFL system.

Godslay

Banned
@JayGlazer

The Bears have already asked for permission to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. He's a very, very hot name right now

I've had my ups and downs with McCoy. He's gotten progressive better over this season in his playcalling. He was interviewed for a couple of HC jobs last year irc. I think he can be replaced fairly easily due to Manning, Del Rio would be the bigger loss if he goes imo.

Hunter S. read my mind!

Bowser

Yes and we went 10-6 and almost made the playoffs if not for a few mistakes in any one of the close games. We were only blown out once. What in the world is your point? That we need and elite QB like Matthew Stafford so we can go 4-12?

:jnc

Hunter S.

I've had my ups and downs with McCoy. He's gotten progressive better over this season in his playcalling. He was interviewed for a couple of HC jobs last year irc. I think he can be replaced fairly easily due to Manning, Del Rio would be the bigger loss if he goes imo.

Stop copying me. :D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/31/report-jeff-ireland-safe-in-miami/

PFT said:
There hasn’t been too much speculation about big changes to the Dolphins organization this offseason and it sounds like there’s no smoke on that front because there’s no fire.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reported Monday that owner Stephen Ross will speak with the media later this week, but that the departure of General Manager Jeff Ireland will not be part of the chat. Ireland’s job was under fire at the end of last season and he entered this year on what many thought was shaky ground after an offseason that didn’t live up to many expectations, but things are more settled this time around.

The Dolphins weren’t great at 7-9 and a 3-6 finish sank any playoff hopes they may have harbored, neither of which takes away from the fact that the team is better situated now than they were at this time last year. Ryan Tannehill was solid for much of his rookie season, Joe Philbin handled himself well in his first year as the team’s head coach and they have a ton of cap space to use to make more improvements this offseason.

Wide receiver is expected to be one of the places the Dolphins spend some of that money. Barring a change as the week unfolds, Ireland will be the one trying to secure those targets for Tannehill.

jakncoke

Banned
Playoffs, schmayoffs. It's time for off-season talk.

Steelers FA list:

Must resign Allen, Mundy, Lewis and Sanders. Others may be brought back for depth. Plenty of retirements on this list. Odd that all three NT's are FA's.

S Will Allen QB Charlie Batch WR Plaxico Burress S Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith LB Larry Foote RG Ramon Foster WR David Gilreath NT Casey Hampton CB Justin King QB Byron Leftwich OG Doug Legursky CB Keenan Lewis LB Marshall McFadden RB Rashard Mendenhall FS Ryan Mundy TE Leonard Pope LT Max Starks NT Alameda Ta'amu LS Greg Warren

Steelers 2013 Restricted Free Agents

RB Jonathan Dwyer NT Steve McLendon RB Issac Redman WR Emmanuel Sanders LB Stevenson Sylvester CB Josh Victorian

Keep Will Allen on for depth
let Batch retire
shoot burress in the thigh
let Da'mon go(has he ever seen the field, maybe steam that i dont pay attention to)
larry foote go
ramon foster go or maybe for cheap depth
gilreath stay to see what he go
hampton to a cheap 1 year del
justin king fuck his couch
sandwich, back to fight a rookie for back ups or another cheap vet
lurgursky depth
keenan bring back
marshal do whatever
truther let go
mundy go
pope go because his td dance was bad
starks for depth
let the guy who tried to run cops over stay on the ps
ls keep i guess

i wonder if they tender both dwyer and redman

Rebuilding in the NFL isn't a long 5 year plan process anymore.

Teams turnaround in a year or two all the time. They do need to make the right hires and moves at QB but its not some impossible task.

Nor is Reid the only coach who can coach in Philly.

I hope you are right but I dont see any evidence to believe it. How many teams actually make quick turnarounds? I bet that all the teams that do make quick turnarounds all have 1 thing in common, they all get franchises QBs. Eagles dont have a franchise QB on their team and I am very worried that they wont be able to find 1 any time soon. I felt way better about where the team was when Ray Rhodes was fired then I do now.

Godslay

Banned
OK I FUCKING GET IT

(Although I'd attribute a lot of what happened last year to being in a terrible division and lucky breaks down the stretch of close games... And the defense was also legit last year)

There was more parity in the division last year, than there was this year.

3 teams @ 8-8
1 team @ 7-9

I hope you are right but I dont see any evidence to believe it. How many teams actually make quick turnarounds? I bet that all the teams that do make quick turnarounds all have 1 thing in common, they all get franchises QBs. Eagles dont have a franchise QB on their team and I am very worried that they wont be able to find 1 any time soon. I felt way better about where the team was when Ray Rhodes was fired then I do now.

Which is why you go with Foles until you can target a guy who you think is a true franchise QB.

You get into trouble when you listen to the noise and start drafting the Weedens and Colt McCoys of the world. Just go with who you've got--not tanking per say, but not trying to invest in guys who you know aren't long term options.

Wow I didnt expect that at all. Wonder who they will get to come in. Are they stuck with Fitz next year?

Which is why you go with Foles until you can target a guy who you think is a true franchise QB.

You get into trouble when you listen to the noise and start drafting the Weedens and Colt McCoys of the world. Just go with who you've got--not tanking per say, but not trying to invest in guys who you know aren't long term options.

I totally get what you are saying but I hate the idea of wasting years with Foles. Eli and RGIII are going to be around for a while, and eventually Jerry will dump Romo and the Cowboys will improve. I am really worried that the division is going to go from a bit of as joke to incredibly difficult. The sooner the Eagles can get competitive the better. I do think you are right that they will ride with Foles next year for better or worse though.

ari

Banned
That is not saying much either. Cutler also has been given the best WR than any other recent past QB either. History of chicago QB is not that great to compare.
Before Marshall, you do know that Forte was the leading receiver on the bears...right? Marshall first year he had over 1500 yards.

You can't be serious with this beast...Cutler had second tier talent around him with a good back and a shitty O-line before it became a thing in the league before this season.

Beast, come on son.

effzee

Well obviously if you miss on a QB you set yourself back. But if you hit you can turnaround rather quick. Used to be that even when you draft your franchise QB it would take 2-3 years before he would emerge and the rest of the team would have to built up in that time.

Now? As long as you get a good-great QB in you can compete almost immediately.

I think we can improve WRs and we do need a big body target but based on age and talent we are pretty set at WR, RB, and even TE. The OLINE needs to be upgraded. Hit on a QB or maybe Foles is that guy. QB class might not be great potential wise but some of the greatest supposed classes didn't pan out.

Lets just hope they make the right sensible choices. If they want to keep Foles, then please draft the best tackle, improve the OLINE through depth in the draft and FA, and address the D.

Speaking of D though the line didn't play well at all, they do have pieces there. LB and CB/Safeties need upgrades severely. Attitude adjustments too. Never seen so many defensive players unwilling to tackle.

I'd love to see Bill O Brien and a top up and coming defensive mind manning the D.

Godslay

Banned
It still wasn't a good division.

Sure. It wasn't terrible though. Teams were much more competitive last year.

As far as McCoy, he's had to do complete 180s. From Orton in a traditional offense to Tebow's option. Then swing back to a traditional offense. He does make some interesting and frustrating playcalls, and at times seems to go conservative. Even so he does adapt and adjust. He also seems to get along and form good bonds with the players. I wish him nothing but the best if he lands a HC job.

Dragon

Banned
Sure. It wasn't terrible though. Teams were much more competitive last year.

As far as McCoy, he's had to do complete 180s. From Orton in a traditional offense to Tebow's option. Then swing back to a traditional offense. He does make some interesting and frustrating playcalls, and at times seems to go conservative. Even so he does adapt and adjust. He also seems to get along and form good bonds with the players. I wish him nothing but the best if he lands a HC job.

John Fox is also a highly conservative coach too. I know he's a defensive guy and all but I'm assuming that may have something to do with some of those conservative playcalls.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The midget's little brother is playing qb on tv. At least this brother has chosen a decent school to get an education. Not that crappy Cal-Berkeley.

beast786

Your offense avg 14 points. If you cant identify your problem then good luck.

krzy123

not making that Gabbert move was the underrated skins move, actually turning the Gabbert pick into Ryan Kerrigan, Leonard Hankerson, Roy Helu (IR this year), Aldrick Robinson, and Maurice Hurt* was money.

There were other trades involved but basically it was Gabbert for those guys.

ari

Banned
TC4jv.gif

MechDX

Personally, I hope the broncos keep defensive coach Jack Del Rio over offensive coordinator McCoy. The broncos offense will be just as potent without McCoy while Jack Del Rio turned the D into a top NFL system.

Peyton made your defense stout just like he did in Indy. Teams know they will be playing from behind and the D pins their ears back. It is what it is not, not a knock on them as a whole but the truth

effzee

I wouldn't mind keeping Foles so long as the new coach recognizes his strengths and weaknesses and doesn't force him into something he can't do.

Tannehill has thrown 12 TDs and 13 INTs this season. Compare that to the other rookie QBs who've thrown in the twenties. I know it's his rookie season, but damn. I'm not very optimistic. Also, we really need some explosive recievers and a RB in the caliber of CJ and AP.

Godslay

Banned
John Fox is also a highly conservative coach too. I know he's a defensive guy and all but I'm assuming that may have something to do with some of those conservative playcalls.

Possibly. From my understanding, Fox is less hands on with the offense than he is with the defense. It seems as Fox/McCoy and Manning got more comfortable, the shackles came off so to speak. I'm not sure who is entirely responsible, but at the beginning of the year you could see the difference in a Fox/McCoy offense and a Peyton offense. Now it seems like a hybrid, although some Colts fans around here seem to see more Colts in the offense than McCoy. I'm not entirely sure either way.

MechDX

Tannehill has thrown 12 TDs and 13 INTs this season. Compare that to the other rookie QBs who've thrown in the twenties. I know it's his rookie season, but damn. I'm not very optimistic. Also, we really need some explosive recievers and a RB in the caliber of CJ and AP.

You answered your own concerns.

I wouldn't mind keeping Foles so long as the new coach recognizes his strengths and weaknesses and doesn't force him into something he can't do.

Like throw the ball more then 20 yards downfield? What does everyone think of Tyler Wilson from Arkansas? I didnt get to see him play this year but it sounds like he could be a guy at the top of the 2nd round.

jbug617

Banned

Miami will be in play for Bowe and Wallace.

Top Bottom