• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

jergrah

I'm actually glad Miami isnt getting rid of Ireland (cant believe Im saying that) -- but last year, for the first time ever, it seemed like he did his own thing vs follow the Parcells model in the draft.

He actually went after local talent (Lamar Miller, Olivier Vernon), something that team has not done in years. Went after a QB that some/many called a risk -- something he would have never done if Parcells was still around.

And he set Miami up with one of the best cap situations in the league and as the only (I believe) team with 5 picks in the Top 100.

So give him another year to collab with Philbin and try to bring in the talent that the coach wants. Of course my tune may very well change if he goes and spends all the money on 2 aging offensive linemen, a DT and a journeyman Nickel CB. But for now, I have faith/hope that he'll put together a decent draft/FA plan and better the team.

Edit: Though in regards to local talent Im still pissed they didnt pull the trigger on TY Hilton and instead took Egnew at that spot. Dude was a playmaker at FIU - and yeah had some injury concerns, but they had to have more knowledge of him in general than Egnew.

Hunter S.

Peyton made your defense stout just like he did in Indy. Teams know they will be playing from behind and the D pins their ears back. It is what it is not, not a knock on them as a whole but the truth

Everyone will attribute a great work ethic of the entire team to Manning and rightfully so. Though Del Rio has had the team focus first on stopping the rush attack. This allows the broncos to pass rush constantly and has lead them to being the top sacking team in the league. From what, I have seen Peyton works more like a coach with rookie qb Brock Osweiler (not Hanie he is a lost cause) and with the young receivers and running backs. Moreno of course. They work on those one handed catches all the time that we saw later in the broncos' season. But his presence obviously inspires the D too.

Godslay

Banned
Peyton made your defense stout just like he did in Indy. Teams know they will be playing from behind and the D pins their ears back. It is what it is not, not a knock on them as a whole but the truth

Sure, it never hurts to play defense with a lead.

Del Rio has done a very good job with the LBs, has shored up and made them effective against the run, and has been excellent on 3rd down. He's done a great job. In some of those games the defense has kept the game close while the offense sputtered.

beast786

Cutler on Lovie firing

"change is not always a bad thing, sometimes its good"

TC4jv.gif

Brinbe

Finally freed from Reid, feels so good. =D

Not sure why all the Eagles talk has centered on QB. Any half-decent QB will be a drastic improvement on Mike Pick.

As I see it, Foles, as a rook, was competent enough and I think he'll be fine as the starter next season. He's already a decent game manager, has good pocket presence and as long as he works on avoiding some of those dumber throws, I'm fine with him returning. The weapons at RB/WR are already there, we don't need a superstar QB there to succeed as a team, as long as they work to take care of the ball.

The real issue is still that horrible defense, and whoever comes in will have to rebuild that secondary, especially the safety positions.

effzee

I would love to see Lovie Smith come to Philly as DC.

WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Hire Kelly or Brien as the HC. Let them run the offense and give them all the tools to restructure the offense, even if that means drafting a new franchise QB. Let Lovie run the D.

EDIT: Lurie apparently meeting with Dirk Koetter of the Falcons later today. He recruited Foles in college. Falcons fans how much do you credit him with the improved offense? Any more info on him?

harSon

Banned
Not that they wanted to lose, but they were playing Vanilla defense against a rookie quarterback and the opponents best impact player on the sidelines.

We always manage to fuck up something. We had a chance at being Number 1 on pass and rush defense, a feat that hasn't been done in a long time, so what do we do? Let the Browns rush for 140 yards.

Mrbob

WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Hire Kelly or Brien as the HC. Let them run the offense and give them all the tools to restructure the offense, even if that means drafting a new franchise QB. Let Lovie run the D.

EDIT: Lurie apparently meeting with Dirk Koetter of the Falcons later today. He recruited Foles in college. Falcons fans how much do you credit him with the improved offense? Any more info on him?

I wouldn't mind seeing Lovie stay in Chicago as a DC. Of course this wouldn't happen. Lovie knows what he is doing on this side of the ball. His problem is he doesn't have an ounce of knowledge for offense. If the Eagles can land him at DC, it would be a good hire.

I think we can put Lovie back in the pool of very good to great coordinator who is not head coaching material.

Tannehill has thrown 12 TDs and 13 INTs this season. Compare that to the other rookie QBs who've thrown in the twenties. I know it's his rookie season, but damn. I'm not very optimistic. Also, we really need some explosive recievers and a RB in the caliber of CJ and AP.
He had some good games and some bad games but it's way too early to know how he'll shape up in the long run considering the horrible personnel Miami has around him on offense. The kid was sacked 7 times yesterday and from what I saw (I missed some of the second half) the majority of those weren't his fault. The o-line has been spotty all year and it's a miracle when one of his receivers gets open.

I like what I've seen of Tannehill so far but he needs help. His decision making has gotten progressively better as the year has gone on (4 straight games with 0 INT's before yesterday) and he's also become more comfortable running with the ball. Miami has a ton of draft picks and cap room, time to get the guy some weapons.

Went after a QB that some/many called a risk -- something he would have never done if Parcells was still around.
I'm sure Sherman had a lot to do with that as well considering his history with Tannehill.

squicken

Cutler found out about Lovie via text message while doing his show. The crowd cheered when they heard and Cutler teared up

Godslay

Banned
If McCoy leaves wonder what Norv is doing? Tom Moore is also being floated out there. Either one sounds like a good fit. Although I wonder what a Norv/Manning offense would look like.

KingGondo

Banned
What team doesn't? The can be a good squad if they could get a serviceable QB. The talent is there on both sides of the ball. Just need a halfway decent GM and coach, and serviceable QB.
That was the joke.

It's like saying an NBA team just needs a cornerstone player of the caliber of KD or LeBron, or a big man with the skills of Hakeem.

WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Lovie Smith is not taking a job as a DC. He can sit out a year and have any number of HC gigs. Same for Reid.

effzee

Finally freed from Reid, feels so good. =D

Not sure why all the Eagles talk has centered on QB. Any half-decent QB will be a drastic improvement on Mike Pick.

As I see it, Foles, as a rook, was competent enough and I think he'll be fine as the starter next season. He's already a decent game manager, has good pocket presence and as long as he works on avoiding some of those dumber throws, I'm fine with him returning. The weapons at RB/WR are already there, we don't need a superstar QB there to succeed as a team, as long as they work to take care of the ball.

The real issue is still that horrible defense, and whoever comes in will have to rebuild that secondary, especially the safety positions.

Well whatever you think of Vick, we shouldn't settle with Foles simply because he was less turnover prone than Vick.

That shouldn't be the bar or standard.

Though for the record with a much improved OLINE and and offense that relies heavy on running the ball could be run by Vick.

ari

Banned
Aaron Rodgers bitch out McCartney yesterday about the challenge flag. Where is the up in arms around here?

Or if he doesn't want to sit he can go be a DC and rebuild his rep a bit to get better HC options.

I'm a dreamer!

he doesn't need to rebuild his rep. He may have worn out his welcome in Chicago but any number of shitty franchises like Cleveland or Carolina would love to have him. Guys like Crennel or Rivera, that have had little to no success as head coaches, are the ones that have to become coordinators again to rebuild their rep.

I'm actually glad Miami isnt getting rid of Ireland (cant believe Im saying that) -- but last year, for the first time ever, it seemed like he did his own thing vs follow the Parcells model in the draft.

He actually went after local talent (Lamar Miller, Olivier Vernon), something that team has not done in years. Went after a QB that some/many called a risk -- something he would have never done if Parcells was still around.

And he set Miami up with one of the best cap situations in the league and as the only (I believe) team with 5 picks in the Top 100.

So give him another year to collab with Philbin and try to bring in the talent that the coach wants. Of course my tune may very well change if he goes and spends all the money on 2 aging offensive linemen, a DT and a journeyman Nickel CB. But for now, I have faith/hope that he'll put together a decent draft/FA plan and better the team.

Edit: Though in regards to local talent Im still pissed they didnt pull the trigger on TY Hilton and instead took Egnew at that spot. Dude was a playmaker at FIU - and yeah had some injury concerns, but they had to have more knowledge of him in general than Egnew.

Good points. What bothers me about Ireland and this season is why not trade Long last season? We gutted the team for the future(Goodbye VD and BMarsh) knowing Long is gonna get cut at the end of this season and we just accepted that. That and the Vontae Davis trade, but that may have been Philbin. If we had Vontae instead of Nolan Caroll on the field we're a playoff team. The fact that we have the most picks in the top 100 doesn't do much for me when I think of the talent we gave up for those picks.

Egnew was definitely our bust of that draft, but man what a good draft that was, especially if Martin grows into a sure starter. Tho even looking back on the draft I kept calling for us to draft Kuechly, and to think we could have had him + Wilson... But every team is capable of that kind of hindsight following a draft.

ari

Banned
Cutler is an asshole.

beast just posted the most out of context thing ever, and your first response is cutler is an asshole without any research? lol

Cutler found out about Lovie via text message while doing his show. The crowd cheered when they heard and Cutler teared up

Its on espn1000.com if you want to hear.

JABEE

beast just posted the most out of context thing ever, and your first response is cutler is an asshole? lol
I have seen him curse out his teammates, get his coaches fired, and get traded out of a town because of his attitude.

Godslay

Banned
That was the joke.

It's like saying an NBA team just needs a cornerstone player of the caliber of KD or LeBron, or a big man with the skills of Hakeem.

Sure, but if you really look at their team, they are short a decent QB and a decent coach away from being a wildcard playoff team in my opinion.

https://twitter.com/SidelineFB

-Romeo ran lax practices
-Showed up late to meetings himself
-no discipline for players being late/hustling
-WRs didn't run out plays, routes

Pioli putting out that spin?

Wouldn't surprise me. It's a been a fucked up place under Pioli. I'm sure a Chiefs fan can attest to that.

Hester retiring would suck, because then the Bears couldn't trade him. He's been completely worthless for two seasons now. It's painfully obvious he's not a receiver, and now Lovie won't be around to push him into that role. He's gone from the best returning in history, to one of the worst. I'm surprised he hasn't downed a free kick on the five yet. Hopefully they can get a late round pick out of him, if not the next coach should cut him. It would be a mercy killing.

Brinbe

Well whatever you think of Vick, we shouldn't settle with Foles simply because he was less turnover prone than Vick.

That shouldn't be the bar or standard.

Though for the record with a much improved OLINE and and offense that relies heavy on running the ball could be run by Vick.

I disagree. All those stupid turnovers killed our season, especially in the first part of the year when the D actually bothered to show up under Juan. And it's not just that, it's also that this isn't a strong draft for QBs, and I doubt we'll splurge for a replacement in FA (although that could definitely change depending on who gets brought in as Reid's successor).

And no way, on the 2nd point. Vick is way past it, he is awful now without that athleticism to save him. He's still as dumb as ever, he can't stay healthy and he's gonna be way overpaid. Cut him now, save the money, and put it toward improving the defense.

jergrah

Good points. What bothers me about Ireland and this season is why not trade Long last season? We gutted the team for the future(Goodbye VD and BMarsh) knowing Long is gonna get cut at the end of this season and we just accepted that. That and the Vontae Davis trade, but that may have been Philbin. If we had Vontae instead of Nolan Caroll on the field we're a playoff team. The fact that we have the most picks in the top 100 doesn't do much for me when I think of the talent we gave up for those picks.

Egnew was definitely our bust of that draft, but man what a good draft that was, especially if Martin grows into a sure starter. Tho even looking back on the draft I kept calling for us to draft Kuechly, and to think we could have had him + Wilson... But every team is capable of that kind of hindsight following a draft.

I agree especially about Long. I didnt really have issue with Philbin/Ireland letting Marshall go, as good as he is, I think he would have been bad with a rookie QB. And Davis I was fine with as well, he never played to potential and I lost all respect for him when he showed up to practice last year late/drunk and him and Marshall got in a fight.

Nolan Carroll is garbage though. McCann is far better - and that's saying something. I also liked the Richard Marshall pickup, just a shame that for the first time in his career he got hit with the injury bug.

And totally agree about the hindsight is 20/20 with the draft -- but my issue with them passing on Hilton is that he was a local kid that they should have had tons of access/info on and they passed for a guy they didnt know much about at all.

JABEE

Who did he get fired? I also thought he wanted a trade because McDaniels wanted Cassel?
I thought when he had so many OCs that he was not in support of them. Cutler was traded out of Denver because McDaniels didn't like him. Maybe I'm wrong.

He consistently shouts at his lineman and shows them up.

Keep your damn hands off our OC!

I like him a lot better than Mularkey, which isn't saying much, I know. He's definitely more creative and willing to take more chances down the field.

I don't want to praise him or Nolan too much until I see what they do in the playoffs.

ari

Banned
I thought when he had so many OCs that he was not in support of them. Cutler was traded out of Denver because McDaniels didn't like him. Maybe I'm wrong.

there are plenty of reports where McDaniels wanted to bring along Cassel from the patriots and bench Cutler. Cutler got upset and asked for a trade and bounced.

I don't know about Denver, but in Chicago the offense coordinators didn't panned out.

bearshoe_medium.gif

Truly one of history's greatest monsters.

Top Bottom