• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
IT'S FINALLY HERE #NOMORENORV OR AJ

Palance1.gif
[

Let me steal that gif kave

Go right ahead.

The healing can begin now!

Coughlin presser this morning. Was asked flat out if Fewell was still his defensive coordinator moving forward. He confirmed that Fewell is safe. (good).
You know you're in NY when a Super Bowl-winning DC has to have his employment confirmed even after a technically winning season.

(Yes, even considering where the defense ranked this year...)

ari

Banned
Bill o brien
Bruce Arians
Mike Mccoy
Kirk Ferentz
Chip Kelly

All targeted HC for the bears as per Emery's war room and beat writers from halas hall.

Yes please.

Mrbob

Bruce Arians is too old for my liking to sign him as head coach, but I love the offensive thinking mentality in potential head coaches.

Emery understands where this league is evolving.

Bill o brien
Bruce Arians
Mike Mccoy
Kirk Ferentz
Chip Kelly

All targeted HC for the bears as per Emery's war room and beat writers from halas hall.

Yes please.

The Bears, Who can't block for shit and complain like crazy about Martz and Tice, want BRUCE ARIANS as their Head Coach?

Slo

Bill o brien
Bruce Arians
Mike Mccoy
Kirk Ferentz
Chip Kelly

Yes please.

Don't forget the obvious choice. Promote from within.

Mike%20Tice%20121912.jpg

DeaconKnowledge said:
I wanted to ask you Future, since the Giants and Steelers season's went in the same direction, what do you feel your team did wrong and what do they need to do in order to contend?

"Win more games" is obvious, but how would evaluate the personnel they have?
I think it's a combination of issues that include:

- Complacency having just one the big game a year ago. It's difficult to repeat for a reason and while they were a Super Bowl team, the roster didn't change significantly from the 9-7 Giants last year (same record this season). I question the teams want at the end of the season plain and simple. They seemingly felt that they could show up and teams would lay down for them.

- Personnel issues for sure. The Giants have gotten old at key positions and it's catching up to them. Certain spots on the offensive line need addressed, the defensive line needs major restocking (Tuck and Osi are both 30/31 years old) and though we don't need amazing CB's, even the good ones we had are in decline (Webster). We've got a starting running back who's wheels have literally fallen off as well along with other holes to fill.

That having been said, a wholesale rebuilding project is not in the cards. The core is still there for this team to contend. My opinion on this draft is that it should be VERY defense heavy. If we restock and Fewell isn't able to field a competent unit, then I would agree with others here saying it's time to find a new coordinator. As we get into the offseason I want to do a big post on the Giants roster and identify problem areas and where I think that focus should be.

- Some injuries and FA losses hurt. Nicks being banged up was a bigger loss to the offense than I expected. If anyone ever tells you that Cruz is the #1 receiver on this team, laugh in their face. Cruz is productive and damn good but he's THAT much better when Hakeem is across from him. Losing Manningham proved to be an issue as well. We played musical chairs at third WR all year long and while some guys had stand out games - no one really grabbed the position until Randle started stepping up. I think this offense has all of the weapons to be as potent as it ever was in 2011. I think next year with a little luck and health it can be.

Vyroxis

Banned
I have a good feeling that there will be even more coaches getting the boot before this week is over. Gonna be a fun offseason me thinks.

Although not as fun as trying to pull a uhaul trailer up an ice covered 30% grade. People who move in winter should be condemned to be Browns fans for life...

Jets and Jags update:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Jets and Jaguars have asked permission from San Francisco to interview 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble for their GM jobs.

Chiefs update:

Chris Mortensen @mortreport

Chiefs granted permission by Falcons to interview OC Dirk Koetter on Tuesday.

Mrbob

Joe Webb would be perfect for Chip Kelly's offense. We're now accepting offers.

Just remember, your head coach is a Lovie Smith disciple. Without a career year from AP the Vikings are back into the toilet. They will more than likely be there again as soon as next season.

Listening to Lurie right now. I do like him and he is very candid.

Hopefully he makes all the right moves from here on. I trust in Lurie. I believe in Lurie.
Surprised you are okay with him saying Roseman will be in charge of personal going forward.

Reid should have been fired last season. At the least Wussel would have been our starting QB right now.

Man this hurts so much. Russel is a fucking superstar and the Eagles absolutely could have had him last year.

Mrbob

All these coaches getting tossed, and Jim Schwartz is going to survive. Good thing he signed that contract extension last season!

Can't.

Stop.

Laughing.

Lions culture. Maybe in another decade the team can get lucky and hang one more playoff banner.

So casualties thus far

HC:
Wisenhunt (ARI)
Crennel (KC)
Lovie Smith (CHI)
Shurmur (CLE)
Gailey (BUF)
Reid (PHI)
Turner (SD)

GM:
Graves (ARI)
AJ Smith (SD)
Heckert (CLE)
Tannenbaum (NYJ)
Gene Smith (JAX)

Missing anyone?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
All these coaches getting tossed, and Jim Schwartz is going to survive. Good thing he signed that contract extension last season!

Can't.

Stop.

Laughing.

Lions culture. Maybe in another decade the team can get lucky and hang one more playoff banner.

That's why I'm infuriated.

See, this is why the Bears will get to another Super Bowl before the Lions even get close. Chicago is smart and doesn't accept mediocrity. I'm so angry right now :(

Mrbob

That's why I'm infuriated.

See, this is why the Bears will get to another Super Bowl before the Lions even get close. Chicago is smart and doesn't accept mediocrity. I'm so angry right now :(

I do know the feel. Before Emery, any other Bears GM would have accepted another 9-7 or 10-6 non Super Bowl season. This is a bit a shock in what happened today. No one thought Emery had the stones to fire Smith after a 10 win season.

Nightz

Norv and AJ gone. So happy.

hell_yes.gif

I'm just thinking, should AJ Smith get fired?

Dude has a few busts on Offense (Mainly Ryan Matthews) but the Chargers seem okay on both sides of the ball. They're just underperformers.

Our biggest issue this year was the offensive line. AJ hasn't done anything in the past few years to improve it. Jeromey Clary has got to be one of the worst tackles in the league and he's been starting for us for 5 years. Couple that with the fact that he's wasted 1st and 2nd round picks in the past few years (Buster Davis, Larry English, Jonas Mouton) and let guys like Sproles and Vincent Jackson go with nothing in return. Also, Jared Gaither and Robert Meachem have to be two of the worst signings this year.

ari

Banned
I do know the feel. Before Emery, any other Bears GM would have accepted another 9-7 or 10-6 non Super Bowl season. This is a bit a shock in what happened today.
Jerry Angelo would never had gotten Marshall. Real talk

In Emery we trust.

WHIZ AND GRAVES ARE GONE!!! WHIZ AND GRAVES ARE GONE!!! WHIZ AND GRAVES ARE GONE!!! WHIZ AND GRAVES ARE GOOOOOOOOOONE!!! Party and happy tear.gifs all over the place!

You're no longer the crown jewel Levi Brown! Please based Football gods, let Joeckel fall to us!

effzee

Panthers update:

Man I was hoping Howie would be let go so they could bring in Ross.

Surprised you are okay with him saying Roseman will be in charge of personal going forward.

I'm not ok with it. I'd rather have Ross from the Giants or another veteran GM. But I'll take Reid being fired. I'll take one step in the right direction even if I think Howie isn't great.

Lurie also said Howie ran the show for the 2012 draft which is the least terrible of the past three under him, implying Reid had much more say previously. We saw how the 10 and 11 class turned out. Lurie also said the new coach won't answer to Howie but rather to Lurie directly.

But mostly I liked what he said about his decision making process and what he looks for in coaches. I liked how he mentioned he recognizes the changes in the NFL and the new needs and tasks.

Of course its all PR talk and it could mean nothing but I did like what I heard.

EDIT: On the QB he said the new coach will decide on Foles. Called the season an embarrassment. Me like.

Top Bottom