• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
TheVisualizer said:
I vow that I will regain my title one day!

Those pink and blue jerseys aint bad Noz, but I wouldn't want to rock them because you already used them. The green ones are terrible though, I'm surprised Marvie doesn't like them with his sense of style...
lol thanks. I like the pink with our black jerseys, but the grey feels too dark for a "light" getup. The green ones were built for function. Tried making cool red and black ones (favorite colors) and gave up since everyone uses them, just went with the green. They never clashed at least.

zsswimmer

Shit. Well good luck tomorrow or whenever you guys play. Im assuming we are still in the Pro Division so I'm expecting to see a pro banner raise when I get back to playing!

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Shit. Well good luck tomorrow or whenever you guys play. Im assuming we are still in the Pro Division so I'm expecting to see a pro banner raise when I get back to playing!
How can we win without you? You were our secret weapon in the last playoffs!

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
How can we win without you? You were our secret weapon in the last playoffs!
I will temporarily give the team with the essence of Knuckles Smith :]

Use it wisely.

I wish I could play them but as you all know by the many times I've posted, my internet sucks for gaming at night for the majority of the week :(

Marvie_3 said:
You're just jealous that my Winnipeg Jets unis looked better than anything you've made.

I'll be figuring out the playoff roster tonight. They don't start until tomorrow though. I'm sure I could find a way to give you manchot's spot.

That's quite the retirement speech though. We'll miss you buddy. :(

We try to get a good mix going but sometimes we press and our offense becomes really one dimensional.

I think we should run through some practices just to get everybody back on the same page.

el oh el, what a fucking shocker... If I'm on the roster, I think we should play early enough to get in one or two practice games. Those help me a lot at least.

RS4-

We need to start getting into the zone with speed again and when we can't, we can always dump instead of forcing things and losing the puck at the blue line.

I know I've been making mistakes lately and not taking it in/dumping instead of passing it to one of you guys that don't have much space by the line

ph33nix said:
Alright this is an official announcement :(

If I'm on the playoff roster this is my last stand. Unfortunately I have had a shit surprise circumstance thrown at me in real life; let's just say I have to find and move to a new place in NYC a month earlier than I thought, while I'm in the middle of working and schooling and preparing for basically what you would call a end-of-grad-school-rape-assignment. So April is absolutely shittastic for me and I just don't think I'll have any time. And in May I'm going to be pretty much partying all the fucking time till I move away lol.

...and if I'm not on the playoff roster then bye :(

sorry to hear about your troubles my man, hope I didn't pile on with my comments about your play the other night, wasn't personal, we all played shitty. You can def get a spot on the playoff team and go out in a blaze of glory.

Montresor

Anyone playing tonight?

late edit: I played a fun game with Nozz, TheVisualizer and another guy. Then I had to bolt early out of another game to help my brother who was spazzing about his midnight deadline on a java lab. Eeeeeh, and it turned out that it just took a couple of minutes to fix his problems. I *hope* that game went well for you guys.

Nozdeuce

Sorry about the penalties, that was some great pk work though. Was kinda floating around aimlessly that first game trying to flatten people, wasn't much of a help to anyone I'm afraid. Blargh

ggs' Noz, Tackle & Montresor, we kicked ass in that first game, and the other team scrapped out an OT win over us that they prob didnt deserve in the 2nd one, after the new guy abandoned us.

He had the nerve to message me and say something "urgent" came up. First rule of this club is nothing is more urgent than a club game, nothing! I don't care if you are dying of internal bleeding and need to go to the hospital to live, you damn well better sit there and finish that game even if it kills you... :)

Marvie, your excellency, you need to lighten up the gray in the jerseys as its kind of dark right now. When I mocked them up I used the 1st gray color in the 2nd row and they didnt look as dark, more of a silver is what I was going for. Thanks in advance, btw they look fucking sharp, son!

Nozdeuce

TheVisualizer said:
Marvie, your excellency, you need to lighten up the gray in the jerseys as its kind of dark right now. When I mocked them up I used the 1st gray color in the 2nd row and they didnt look as dark, more of a silver is what I was going for. Thanks in advance, btw they look fucking sharp, son!
I changed it, looks much better.

I should be better for tomorrow, glad to get a couple games in to get to breaking people again. I know I was wildly out of position a lot offensively. Was kinda slow on the structured offense uptake. Apropos of nothing I would like to try more passes to me in the slot, dude along right boards passing it in a little to me usually scores. Which I know is kinda hard to do since Viz usually ends up playing RW for me and taking it into the corner. But if the situation does present itself I'd at least like to be the one whoring myself in the slot

Nozdeuce said:
I changed it, looks much better.

I should be better for tomorrow, glad to get a couple games in to get to breaking people again. I know I was wildly out of position a lot offensively. Was kinda slow on the structured offense uptake. Apropos of nothing I would like to try more passes to me in the slot, dude along right boards passing it in a little to me usually scores. Which I know is kinda hard to do since Viz usually ends up playing RW for me and taking it into the corner. But if the situation does present itself I'd at least like to be the one whoring myself in the slot

I always look to pass first, believe me I know you are a better finisher than me. I made some good moves along the wall in that 2nd game and was looking for both you and TackleJerry to cut to the net for some cross-crease goodness, but it just never materialized. I think not being on the mic kind of makes a difference too as me and Tackle were doing some good communicating.

I also had to abandon my strategy on faceoffs as the guy was killing me in the 2nd game so I was forced to sticklift him. I tried a few tieups in the offensive zone when the puck was on your side of the ice because sticklifts are automatic turnovers in the o-zone but there was no way for you to know and Tackle couldn't get there in time to retrieve them. Good effort all around though, you on a bad day is still better than most people.

Nozdeuce

TheVisualizer said:
I always look to pass first, believe me I know you are a better finisher than me. I made some good moves along the wall in that 2nd game and was looking for both you and TackleJerry to cut to the net for some cross-crease goodness, but it just never materialized. I think not being on the mic kind of makes a difference too as me and Tackle were doing some good communicating.

I also had to abandon my strategy on faceoffs as the guy was killing me in the 2nd game so I was forced to sticklift him. I tried a few tieups in the offensive zone when the puck was on your side of the ice because sticklifts are automatic turnovers in the o-zone but there was no way for you to know and Tackle couldn't get there in time to retrieve them. Good effort all around though, you on a bad day is still better than most people.
lol <3 that's all mighty generous of you. I absolutely know you were trying to hook someone up and it just wasn't happening. I think when you have the puck I need to default to doing things properly and then when I have it just wing it me style. All those passes you compliment me on start out horrible, it's just you scoring that makes them so good :p

I saw and tried to grab a couple, but mostly I just go for ramming the defense.

I'm not sure what it was but I really wasn't able to set you up as much as I usually do, which is always a total bummer since you score assloads. Aaaand me not scoring is never good

Hey guys,

So I'm sorry I can't be on the playoff roster tonight. Something last minute...gotta be doing something in the city so I won't be back till laaaaaaate.

Tomorrow night probably would work but I'm not gonna delay anything.

peace-out-mj_238x328.jpg

Most of the times when we're in the Offensive Zone, Viz will try to tie them up and the board side Wing should come take the puck and pass it to the opposite wing near the post. At least that's what Viz and I try to do.

Or if Viz wins the faceoff and passes back to the board side D man, the board side Wing should take the boards or go low behind the net for a board pass.

2 things that help out when on mics ;)

Actually, psyche!

I'm here if there is still space. Don't want to talk about why, but I am.

Girls can go fuck themselves

Marvie_3

Banned
Playoff roster

Forwards:
1. ph33nix (farewell tour exemption)
2. Noz
3. Marvie
4. Viz
5. Manchot
6. TackleJerry

Defensemen
1. House
2. Swim
3. Schuey
4. Montesor

I'll be on around 9pm EST so we can practice.

Are we starting that late? I thought we were doing 8....oh well, if I can at least get one game in that would be great. Otherwise back to Michael Jackson peace.gif!

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Playoff roster

Forwards:
1. ph33nix (farewell tour exemption)
2. Noz
3. Marvie
4. Viz
5. Manchot
6. TackleJerry

Defensemen
1. House
2. Swim
3. Schuey
4. Montesor

I'll be on around 9pm EST so we can practice.
I'm pretty sure my internet will be too slow to play tonight. I guess we'll see how it goes, I'm on black ops right now and it doesnt seem too bad

zsswimmer

Good luck tonight guys. I'll be sitting out due to lag, Montresor or Vis can hop in defense and get a full game. Do it for pheenix! Do it for me!

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:
Good luck tonight guys. I'll be sitting out due to lag, Montresor or Vis can hop in defense and get a full game. Do it for pheenix! Do it for me!
I THINK THINGS ARE GOING TO GO WELL

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:
What happened
Whole lotta nothin. I opened the scoring with a sweet cross crease pass that went off one of their guys and straight in. And later scored the tying goal during the final few seconds of the game.

Viz being miraculously offline for the exact duration of the game was for the best. He really is the smart one.

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
It's all good. That game just reminded me of all the pains I won't have to deal with anymore.
Yeah I can only imagine how good it must feel not to have to play hockey with manchot anymore.

Nozdeuce

ph33nix said:
It's all good. That game just reminded me of all the pains I won't have to deal with anymore.
Godspeed Pheenix, where you're going NHL can't hurt you anymore. You're safe now.

Hey GAF, I've been recently browsing this thread (only the last couple of pages) because I've been interested in playing in the EASHL leagues at some point in the next iteration. I still only have NHL 09, but I was just curious if you guys have used/ever use a Human Goaltender? Goal-tending is spotty at best in NHL 09 but I'm curious about any/all refinements they may have made to it in 11.

zsswimmer

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Hey GAF, I've been recently browsing this thread (only the last couple of pages) because I've been interested in playing in the EASHL leagues at some point in the next iteration. I still only have NHL 09, but I was just curious if you guys have used/ever use a Human Goaltender? Goal-tending is spotty at best in NHL 09 but I'm curious about any/all refinements they may have made to it in 11.
Generally we don't, unless were playing with a full team. Even then it doesn't last long cuz someone always rage quits.

It's still really hard to play goalie online because of the numerous dumb things that EA has done with the defense. You can literally burn right through an AI dman by a simple deke. Plus, I know that the goalie still 'squares' up to the puck, even on angles, so it makes it frustrating to play butterfly because your goalie almost moves out of the way from the puck handler.

But I can't say whether or not we would use a goalie if we had one, gotta ask Marvie03 on that ;)

Only part of playing goalie in NHL11 that bothers me is how there is no good way to deal with rebounds/loose pucks right in front of the net.

The camera views they give you obstruct your view so it's near impossible to tell how close the puck is and the "cover the puck" button is so inconsistent that it's generally not even worth it.

They need some kind of auto-cover up mechanic and better camera angles for the masses to start using manual goalies more next year.

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
Only part of playing goalie in NHL11 that bothers me is how there is no good way to deal with rebounds/loose pucks right in front of the net.

The camera views they give you obstruct your view so it's near impossible to tell how close the puck is and the "cover the puck" button is so inconsistent that it's generally not even worth it.

They need some kind of auto-cover up mechanic and better camera angles for the masses to start using manual goalies more next year.
Yeah that too. I believe they had an auto cover mechanic in NHL 10 but it was really shitty. Cost me a lot of goals because my goalie would come out and try to save a puck with like 3 guys crashing the crease.

to Marvie & all others interested, here is the Faceoff Guide I posted awhile back: http://www.operationsports.com/strategyguides/921/nhl-11-faceoff-guide/

I've studied it and applied it's principles and think I have the system totally figured out, here are some important points:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BASICS

FORMATIONS

-Before the beginning of each faceoff anyone on the team can call for a specific faceoff formation by holding the LEFT STICK (UP for Aggressive, DOWN for Defensive, or RIGHT for Normal). As a center I generally am holding the direction I want to entire time during the stoppage before the faceoff, whoever inputs last gets their way.

1) In the Defensive Zone I like to use the Aggressive formation so 3 players are on the inside to defend against the deke between the legs, a shot off of a tie-up or a quick shot from the point.

2) In the Offensive Zone I like to use the Defensive formation so the defensemen as back as far as possible to prevent a counter-rush.

HOW TO WIN

-Each kind of faceoff win has a counter. There are generally 3 good ways to win (forehand scoop, backhand, deke between the legs)

-Winning depends on 4 things:
1)TIMING
2)Your Player's FACEOFF RATING
3)How Long You HOLD Your Backhand/Forehand
4)METHOD.

FLICKING TECHNIQUES

-I've found a method of flicking the stick that seems to have improved my timing, instead of just flicking the right stick UP or DOWN to win a faceoff, I instead flick it the same direction twice quickly then hold it that direction. So instead of flicking DOWN, I instead flick it DOWN, DOWN and hold DOWN. I do this because there are times where it seems the game doesn't recognize my input when I flick it once.

-Also if you didn't know you can also affect the direction of your win by holding diagonally down and right or left on any faceoff which is very important in the offensive zone for picking which defensemen you want to win the puck back to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIMING

Timing is different is each zone (offensive, center ice, and defensive zones).

1) In the offensive zone the timing is to start your flicking as the puck is dropping, I refer to this timing as in-between. As it's after the ref first moves his arm and before the puck hits the ground.

2) In the defensive zone you are going off first movement of the refs arm. Early bird wins, and it's really important that you are early because you can all but eliminate the threat of the deke between the legs.

3) At center ice you need to wait for the puck to hit the ice, so this is the latest timing of the 3.

Last note about timing, you sometimes have to take into account lag. If your guy is moving sluggishly during the game and these timings aren't working you need to speed them all up a notch except defensive zone where it won't matter. So center ice you flick as the puck is falling and offensive zone you flick when the ref starts to move his arm to drop the puck.

HOLDING YOUR BACKHAND/FOREHAND

As soon as possible you need to "declare" which handedness you are going to attempt to take the faceoff with by holding the RS out to the left or right to pick forehand or backhand. If both players have the similar faceoff ratings and try the same move the one who was ready for the longest will gain the advantage and win the faceoff.

METHODS

FOREHAND SCOOP

The hands down best method of winning a faceoff against a human opponent is what I call the FOREHAND SCOOP. To do this hold the RS out towards your forehand side and flick DOWN on the Right Stick to turn your body while winning the faceoff. Only downside is you can't win this back towards your defenseman on the forehand side. For whatever reason it doesn't work as well against a CPU opponent.

The most important thing I've found is that this FOREHAND SCOOP is the counter for the DEKE IN BETWEEN THE LEGS. If you do the scoop early enough against the deke you will win every single time. **All of you forwards who are taking defensive zone faceoffs while the center is in the penalty box need to remember this**

There is a counter to the FOREHAND SCOOP, the STICK LIFT. If you are getting dominated by this scoop move even if you have a crappy faceoff rating you can beat the other player if you time the STICK LIFT properly. To do the STICK LIFT hold your stick out to either forehand or backhand then roll it around towards UP in like a (Street Fighter Fireball motion). The only downside is that you will win the puck back really slow. For this reason I never use it in the offensive zone because the other team can pretty much rush up the ice and intercept the puck before it gets back to your d-man.

More notes on the STICK LIFT. Holding to the forehand or backhand will get you 2 different results. Your player will kick the puck towards your backhand side on the backhand and draw the puck back to the forehand side on the forehand. If you absolutely want to use this move in the offensive zone you need to call for the AGGRESSIVE faceoff formation beforehand (UP on the LS) where the other winger is stacked right behind the center.

BACKHAND

This is the best way to win a faceoff against a CPU player, it is also good in the offensive zone for aiming the puck back to the defensemen on your backhand side. You should only use it for these reasons because...

The DEKE BETWEEN THE LEGS is pretty much guaranteed to work against this method, so NEVER, EVER, EVER try to win a faceoff backhand in the defensive zone against a human player. Also you are much more susceptible to get TIED UP while attempting a backhand win.

As I mentioned above the counter to the BACKHAND win is the TIE UP. So if you notice a human player is winning a lot of faceoffs from his backhand, you need to start using this counter. The TIE UP is considered a counter so it doesn't matter what your faceoff rating is, as long as you time it correctly against a backhand attempt you will tie up everytime. Like the STICK LIFT the TIE UP can be done out of either forehand or backhand grip. I've found the backhand grip seems to work better. To TIE-UP flick the Left Stick UP.

You can also seal off to specific directions on the TIE-UP. If you want your winger to the right of you to take the faceoff, instead of just flicking UP, flick diagonally UP & RIGHT to seal that direction and give that winger a better path to the puck.

Final note on the TIE UP, as some of you have seen by playing with me this can be very useful in the offensive zone to setup scoring chances. That's where I use it the most.

DEKE BETWEEN THE LEGS

We all know what this is. To do it, hold LB than flick the RS UP to deke between the legs of your opponent. It only works against backhand and neutral hand faceoff wins. It will also beat a TIE-UP and STICK LIFT most of the time. This doesn't take into account your faceoff rating either so it's all timing and taking advantage of your opponent if he doesn't know it's coming and/or how to stop it.

Nozdeuce

OH GOD WE'RE DOING QUARTER CIRCLES IN THE FACEOFF CIRCLE NOW? Sweet guide...I failed to even tie people up last night, it was totally sweet. The flicking thing really annoys me, and it sounds like your technique really is the best. It was all pretty dumb last night, couldn't successfully tie the guy up but could occasionally string together a few wins. It pains.

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
Very true. How about you just play center from now on instead of skipping the playoffs to play some non-important game? :D
Dude's brilliant, I could have been playing Sworcery :(

Top Bottom