• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

Montresor said:
Thanks guys.

Does anyone else find the HUT mode dreadful?

I actually don't think it's half bad. When I played my first HUT online match, my opponent had guys like Krejci, Ryder, Bieksa, Campbell, Schenn, Selanne, etc... and I had a bunch of no name scrubs. So I thought, you know what, it would probably be really fun earning those player cards and building a team with real NHL talent.

But there's this whole contract and retirement BS. Just reading about it makes me want to not even touch the mode. How bad does it get trying to ice a legitimate team with contracts running out and contract cards running out? Or... is this not the place to talk about this? The main thread is dead.

it was fun while i was heavily invested into it, but theres too much micromanagement. I stopped worrying about getting superstars on my roster and focused more on line chemistry, which is getting a line from the same team/league. Contracts can be a mess, but you can just stock up on those when you buy a Pee Wee pack or buy them in the auctions for cheap. There's also a certain way to maximize each player through consumables, which is finding the highest rated consumable and applying certain areas. I've seen a ton of Semyon Varlmalov cards that are maxed at at 99 using something like 6-7 consumables.

RS4-

I like the idea of HUT, just not the way EA handled it; besides they should have focused, improved and fixed the online components first.

I can't really score on human goalies that just sit there deep in the net and let the auto saves do all the work.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
If we can wrangle a few people together I'd be up for some more games whenever

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
i still love the idea of HUT. the achievements and unlocks/time needed to get stuff in that mode are complete bullshit though. just some generally execution faults that kept it from being totally awesome. maybe next year... or the year after

zsswimmer

I played HUT for like 5 minutes and got bored. All the singe player parts of the game bore me, because the game essentially (to me) plays the same. But yes I do love the achievements and it angers me that I most likely won't be getting NHL 11's achievements, especially since a ton are focused on HUT >:|

Montresor, don't worry too much about your experience on defense. It takes a good bit of time to start feeling comfortable playing it. I'll probably write some tips later if I remember :D

Montresor said:
I bought a Tim Connolly card (84 overall) for 750 pucks at the auction house. Is that a good deal?

depends on if he has lots of "career" time left. A card is useless if they have ZERO career time because you can never boost their career limit up, only their contracts.

750 pucks seems fair if he has something like 50+ career left in him

Montresor

This is some bullshit. I was leading 4-1 on a guy in HUT mode, and was thinking "sweet, I'm gonna get this achievement (for winning a HUT match online)." Then he rage quits.

I love that in this game your stats get credited for wins if someone rage quits on you and that you get credited for a loss if you do the same. I watch my brother play MVC3 a lot and it's just funny that there doesn't seem to be any consequences to quitting ranked matches in that game. I.E. if someone quits on my brother, he gets no credit for a win).

STILL, it's a shame that you don't get an achievement that you were all but guaranteed when someone rage quits on you.

Giant Robot said:
depends on if he has lots of "career" time left. A card is useless if they have ZERO career time because you can never boost their career limit up, only their contracts.

750 pucks seems fair if he has something like 50+ career left in him

20 games left on his contract and 63 games left in his career. What happens when they have zero career time left? And how do I boost someone's career limit?

you can never boost up career, only contract lengths. Once career hits zero that player card can never be used again, you'll have to search/buy for the same card. That's why its key to look at remaining careers left.

Montresor

Giant Robot said:
you can never boost up career, only contract lengths. Once career hits zero that player card can never be used again, you'll have to search/buy for the same card. That's why its key to look at remaining careers left.

Wait, let's say Connolly is down to 1 career game left. What happens if I give him a 20 game contract card?

edit: Also, when do EASHL playoffs start?

zsswimmer

Montresor said:
Wait, let's say Connolly is down to 1 career game left. What happens if I give him a 20 game contract card?

edit: Also, when do EASHL playoffs start?
I believe they start this weekend, Friday or Saturday

Montresor

How do I drop into a match that is already in progress? I see that you guys are online and playing but I'm not sure how to join.

Marcie, oh you.

Nozdeuce

Montresor said:
How do I drop into a match that is already in progress? I see that you guys are online and playing but I'm not sure how to join.

Marcie, oh you.
You can't join mid game, it'll be over soon though

RS4-

Montresor said:
Whoops.

What is up with the drop-in feature on EASHL? It just says loading over and over and gives me no option to back out.
Yeah it's been happening lately and here and there overall.

There's a way to do it through the xbox live menu in the game, I'll find out the steps later; it works a bit better than trying to do it through the eashl menu

Marvie_3

Banned
Montresor said:
Whoops.

What is up with the drop-in feature on EASHL? It just says loading over and over and gives me no option to back out.
It's a slightly faster way of getting into OTP games. If there are no games starting you'll get the never ending loading screen.

Nozdeuce

Sorry I wasn't able to get back in time to join in.

Really liked the games I did play though with House and then with Montresor as well.

-House!! (calling you RS4 seems weird, but RS is doable) You and I are really clicking well on offense. My forechecking has been kinda weird because I haven't been able to hit people well the last couple nights, but despite that we've been playing really well together in the offensive and neutral zones. We don't seem to be all that great together trying to play defense, but thats my fault for not being able to KO anyone recently. Actually knocking people down will help us tons since we both seem to go after the same guy, it'll make for a delicious turnover. I like that you've been flattening people too though, always awesome. I feel really good about our breakouts, you do a fantastic job of springing me and then getting yourself open as we near or get into the offensive end. I know I play really confusingly, so if you see me do a loop, just keep going in whatever direction and I'll get it too you after my fucking around. (it tends to work pretty well in drawing people to me, aaand if it doesn't it's all my fault and you're out of range to do anything anyway so meh, keep flooring it) Our offense is effective but mostly because it's determined? There's an awful lot of us randomly (aimlessly) circling around trying to get open for each other, but our puck movement is so good it kind of doesn't matter, and has been damned effective anyway. That'll improve as we play more together, our goals have been kinda ad-hoc. My two goals from the point were total aberrations (especially the slapshot earlier but also the wrister, neither are shots I ever take from there).

-Montresor. I think you did a really great job on D for playing your first ever games. Already I noticed you adjusted from playing this afternoon to playing tonight. There were maybe a couple times you could've been a bit more stay at home, but you're new and not yet used to the complex intricacies of asshole online douchebags. From being a blind forward (not 1 iota of defensive skill) I liked your positioning for the most part. Liked how often (and easy!) it was to get a pass back to you. Once or twice I think I launched it all the way down your boards figuring you were just kinda in your normal spot and could grab it, but really you were still en route (which works for me and is my bad, I didn't look). Your goal was totally sweet! If you're leading the charge up the ice and are clear to go into the offensive zone, don't worry about offending us forwards. Do what you think is best, it's clear you like jumping into the play so if you can go for it, someone will cover. Soo keep at it, it'll all get better and easier as you play more and level up.

-Swiiiiim! Sorry I'm still terribad at passing it to you :(

-Marcie. You lookin fine tonight girl

Montresor

Thank you nozdeuce. I think I played a really good game with you yesterday night (we won 4-2, correct?). But I shit the bed with Marvie and House a couple of times, haha.

Marvie_3

Banned
Wasn't your fault man. Those two teams were nothing but shit-tactic scrubs. If you're going to be playing D, those games were great introductions to the garbage people use online.

Nozdeuce

Montresor said:
Thank you nozdeuce. I think I played a really good game with you yesterday night (we won 4-2, correct?). But I shit the bed with Marvie and House a couple of times, haha.
Yeah, was a great win too. You did great, really able to lock everything down. I don't really remember their goals (prolly one lame breakaway at least, those never fail) but iirc we kept them to like under 5 shots through 2 periods or something.

And it's like Marcie says, no worries, you just have to be exposed to the shitty way people play online.

RS4-

Ugh, the game where we blew the 4-1 lead, I had some huge issues with my passing and not being able to dominate the faceoffs like I did during periods one and two.

I have to get used to playing with Marvie and stop trying to force passes through the middle; I'm starting to hate going for open ice hits that almost always have the puck magically end up on the other guys stick.

zsswimmer

RS4- said:
Ugh, the game where we blew the 4-1 lead, I had some huge issues with my passing and not being able to dominate the faceoffs like I did during periods one and two.

I have to get used to playing with Marvie and stop trying to force passes through the middle; I'm starting to hate going for open ice hits that almost always have the puck magically end up on the other guys stick.
Welcome to my world -_-

I use to average like 10 hits a game but now I think its around 5. I mean I'm still the hits leader for the team but I'm sure one of the forwards will pass me.

lol @ marcie

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:
Welcome to my world -_-

I use to average like 10 hits a game but now I think its around 5. I mean I'm still the hits leader for the team but I'm sure one of the forwards will pass me.

lol @ marcie
I HAVE A NAME : (

My hitting is down too, it's awful

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Anyone playing before like 3AM for once?

that was a quick trip to Russia, Jagr... What happened they didn't want you either? :)

I'm gonna watch the Flyers/Pens game and I'll be after, probably around 10pm EST

Giant Robot said:
i'll be on 10pm PST while Marcie is playing Battlefield 2 or whatever and Viz navigating Xbox menus for hours.

sorry man, I get lost sometimes, there are so many sub-menus to navigate

not sure if you got my message last night, I responded to yours saying I was ready to play and when I hopped on you started up an online game so I hopped on Crysis 2 with my brother

Top Bottom