• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Ended up falling asleep on the couch last night (probably from a long work week and staying up until 230 on Saturday night playing NHL).

Team 2. We definitely need to set up more in the offensive zone. As a defenseman, I feel reluctant to come up more because of the cherry picking that results from quick shots on our part and because if I get my momentum going towards the goal, and the other team is already breaking back towards our goal, the chances of them getting past me is better. I think dumping the puck in more into the corners will help as well as moving more when you don't have the puck (good point, Vis). I have to pitch 2 games tonight in softball, but I should be around Tuesday evening.

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
GG's Team 2, I sucked tonight, only managed 1 point and 1 win in like 8 games and that was a double OT win against a team of 2 players that apparently put their controllers down halfway thru the game and stopped playing, was a sad sight for sure...

bumpkin, welcome aboard, don't worry about your performance tonight, no one was really on-point. Noticed your defense was solid but you need to work on staying onsides more than anything.

As a team I think we are too predictable on offense right now and not creating better scoring chances. We like most teams rely too much on bringing the puck up the ice then cutting back inside the slot for that long wrister and hoping a rebound goes our way. I think it couldn't hurt to try to work some back and forth on the walls and behind the net to get the D moving once in awhile. I'll be on tomorrow afternoon and evening EST time if anyone wants to play then.
Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, the offsides thing kills me. To be honest, I really don't understand the rule at all or how to avoid it. I'm coming to NHL 11 from 2K9 where offsides wasn't a rule that got enforced/whistled against. I know in the first game I was thrown off by the fact our opponents' jerseys were almost the same color as ours. :lol

When I was controlling the puck going into the attacking zone, I was trying my best to get close and then dish it across to someone for a shot. The problem was I still don't quite have a handle on how to bring it up "in traffic" and not get stripped. Seems like the poke check is just far too potent in this game (compared to 2K9). Later in the game, I was trying to grip it and rip it with players in the goalie's line of sight, with the intention being to either get a lucky goal or create rebound opportunities.

Though on the other hand, I'll give EA credit for one thing; the ebb and flow of games feels a lot more "real" than any I played in 2K9.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Depending on how boring the Monday night games are tonight I'll be on to play some finally.

Was gone most of the weekend to the cottage and then to Buffalo for the Bills home opener.

LiveWire

Marvie_3 said:
Watching football this afternoon. I'll probably be on around 7:30EST though. No way in hell I'm sitting through a Cowboys/Redskins game. :lol

haters-gonna-hate.gif

LiveWire

Marvie_3 said:
I ended up watching the game anyway since I was at a bar. :lol

Team 1 needs to get some games in. There's rarely more than 2 or 3 of us on.

I have the day off from work so if anyone on Team 1 is around let's get some games going.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Marvie_3 said:
I ended up watching the game anyway since I was at a bar. :lol

Team 1 needs to get some games in. There's rarely more than 2 or 3 of us on.

I'll be good to go this whole week after work for the most part. All my baseball seasons are over, all I have now is the gym, NHL 11 and a half finished bottle of Jamaican rum. :(

bumpkin said:
Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, the offsides thing kills me. To be honest, I really don't understand the rule at all or how to avoid it. I'm coming to NHL 11 from 2K9 where offsides wasn't a rule that got enforced/whistled against. I know in the first game I was thrown off by the fact our opponents' jerseys were almost the same color as ours. :lol

When I was controlling the puck going into the attacking zone, I was trying my best to get close and then dish it across to someone for a shot. The problem was I still don't quite have a handle on how to bring it up "in traffic" and not get stripped. Seems like the poke check is just far too potent in this game (compared to 2K9). Later in the game, I was trying to grip it and rip it with players in the goalie's line of sight, with the intention being to either get a lucky goal or create rebound opportunities.

Though on the other hand, I'll give EA credit for one thing; the ebb and flow of games feels a lot more "real" than any I played in 2K9.

The simplest explanation of the offsides is: The puck and/or puckhandler have to cross the offensive blue line before any other offensive players. It's basically a rule to prevent cherry picking. So when our team has possession and is moving up the ice you need to keep 1 eye on whoever has the puck and wait for them to cross the blue line before you go in.

Works pretty much the same way when you dump the puck in. You need to watch the shadow of the puck in the air as it's being dumping and wait for it to go over the blue line, then you can cross the line and go after it.

Your ideas on offense you fine, for someone that isn't comfortable puck handling yet, stick to your philosophy from above. If there is a good scoring chance, screen, or players in position for a rebound put the puck on net, otherwise quickly make the easiest open pass and can then move to an open position and look to get the puck back.

For you and others, puckhandling really isn't too difficult when you realize what to do. Practice using the R-stick to move the puck left and right. Then it's all about reading the closest defenders stick and/or body position and moving the puck to the correct side to prevent him from easily taking it from you. If I remember correctly you were using the protect puck button a lot so you at least understand the concept. Unfortunately the protect puck button doesn't always hold the puck out to the correct side, I mainly use this when I am towards the outside of the ice. In the middle of the ice the protect puck button doesn't work as well as it usually holds it towards your inside hand. The other thing you need to know about protect puck is that it gradually slows down your player so if you do it for an extended period of time you are gonna be a sitting duck for body checks.

Hope this helps out some, I'll be on starting at about 1:30pm EST if anyone is available for some early games today.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well said, Viz. If you need more help just ask somebody to hop in practice mode with you. It could be easier to understand if you actually saw a demonstration of the rules.

I'm skipping my afternoon class then taking a weekend of drinking induced nap. Then I'm playing hockey.

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
The simplest explanation of the offsides is: The puck and/or puckhandler have to cross the offensive blue line before any other offensive players. It's basically a rule to prevent cherry picking. So when our team has possession and is moving up the ice you need to keep 1 eye on whoever has the puck and wait for them to cross the blue line before you go in.

Works pretty much the same way when you dump the puck in. You need to watch the shadow of the puck in the air as it's being dumping and wait for it to go over the blue line, then you can cross the line and go after it.

Your ideas on offense you fine, for someone that isn't comfortable puck handling yet, stick to your philosophy from above. If there is a good scoring chance, screen, or players in position for a rebound put the puck on net, otherwise quickly make the easiest open pass and can then move to an open position and look to get the puck back.

For you and others, puckhandling really isn't too difficult when you realize what to do. Practice using the R-stick to move the puck left and right. Then it's all about reading the closest defenders stick and/or body position and moving the puck to the correct side to prevent him from easily taking it from you. If I remember correctly you were using the protect puck button a lot so you at least understand the concept. Unfortunately the protect puck button doesn't always hold the puck out to the correct side, I mainly use this when I am towards the outside of the ice. In the middle of the ice the protect puck button doesn't work as well as it usually holds it towards your inside hand. The other thing you need to know about protect puck is that it gradually slows down your player so if you do it for an extended period of time you are gonna be a sitting duck for body checks.

Hope this helps out some, I'll be on starting at about 1:30pm EST if anyone is available for some early games today.
Your explanation of offsides makes sense. I guess it's just something that requires me to be a bit more attentive to the puck-handler's movement.

In terms of trying to create scoring opportunities, I think what I find the most difficult is when I have possession, the camera switches to that pseudo behind-the-back view. That makes it hard to see who else is around me; I was basically passing where I thought someone else was and got lucky most of the time. Is there a setting to make it stay in a normal/standard view?

Just so you and the others on team 2 know when I can play, I'm a regular 9 to 5'er (EST) Monday through Friday. I'm usually home/available after 7 most week nights, and I have weekends off. The catch 22 of course is that my ability to hop on and play are subject to if the wife wants the TV or we have plans. :lol

Repgnar

Most people switch their cameras I believe which helped me a lot. Camera options should be under visual settings when in be a pro mode. Pretty sure there's a way to change it before entering a game, just don't remeber the exact route to get there. I'm still trying to learn how to create those scoring oppurtunities and definantly guilty of passing it off/shooting it when a better oppurtunity was open. Also guilty of not handling/protecting the puck most of the times, opting to pass it off when an opposing body gets up on me. I'll be picking up Reach tonight so i'll be absent for a night or two but i'll get some games in later this week.

yeah i play with classic camera too, i wouldnt play with the regular be a pro cameras as they put u at too much of a disadvantage

another tip especially for defensemen is to disable "auto backskate" in the controller options from the main menu. Its kinda hidden, you have to scroll the menu down inside the 360 controller options menu. Disabling this gives you more control and helps prevent defenders from being beaten with speed to the outside because the game forces you to continue skating backwards for a few seconds even after you are clearly beaten in a footrace.

note: for whatever reason this particular change to the controls will not save to your profile so you have to remember to change it everytime you turn on the game

note2: this setting cannot be changed in the pause menu of eashl games, so take care of it from the main menu before you start playing

Fixed1979

TheVisualizer said:
yeah i play with classic camera too, i wouldnt play with the regular be a pro cameras as they put u at too much of a disadvantage

another tip especially for defensemen is to disable "auto backskate" in the controller options from the main menu. Its kinda hidden, you have to scroll the menu down inside the 360 controller options menu. Disabling this gives you more control and helps prevent defenders from being beaten with speed to the outside because the game forces you to continue skating backwards for a few seconds even after you are clearly beaten in a footrace.

note: for whatever reason this particular change to the controls will not save to your profile so you have to remember to change it everytime you turn on the game

note2: this setting cannot be changed in the pause menu of eashl games, so take care of it from the main menu before you start playing

I'll be switching to classic today, I didn't mind BaP or Ice camera for offence. But playing when playing D you really need to see more of the ice.

I know eventually things will sort themselves out so sorry for bouncing around from position to position. If there's an open D spot available then I'll play otherwise I'll just wait until one opens up.

I just wanted to make a quick note (I'm guilty of this stuff as well), but I really find that we're bunching up a lot when we're playing. We really need to make a conscious effort of spreading out a bit more when playing defense and not play "chase the puck". It's too easy for the other team to find an open man when doing that, and it will also make a breakout easier as you'll have a passing option that's more than 5 feet away from you.

I'm probably the worst offender for this one but trying to cross the blueline when there's 2-3 defenders right in front of you, dump the puck or turn back and try to set it up again. It kills plays right away because you rarely have a shot of getting through. Every time I try to do it and loose the puck I get pissed off because I know it was a stupid thing to be doing.

Those are just a couple things that have really stood out to me while playing, and I think we can really improve our W/L ratio by paying a bit more attention to it.

DenogginizerOS said:
Be sure to turn off autozoom!
And this! Worst feature.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Fucking game misconducts in the first period are the worst thing ever. Jesus fuck

Fixed1979 said:
I'll be switching to classic today, I didn't mind BaP or Ice camera for offence. But playing when playing D you really need to see more of the ice.

I know eventually things will sort themselves out so sorry for bouncing around from position to position. If there's an open D spot available then I'll play otherwise I'll just wait until one opens up.

I just wanted to make a quick note (I'm guilty of this stuff as well), but I really find that we're bunching up a lot when we're playing. We really need to make a conscious effort of spreading out a bit more when playing defense and not play "chase the puck". It's too easy for the other team to find an open man when doing that, and it will also make a breakout easier as you'll have a passing option that's more than 5 feet away from you.

I'm probably the worst offender for this one but trying to cross the blueline when there's 2-3 defenders right in front of you, dump the puck or turn back and try to set it up again. It kills plays right away because you rarely have a shot of getting through. Every time I try to do it and loose the puck I get pissed off because I know it was a stupid thing to be doing.

Those are just a couple things that have really stood out to me while playing, and I think we can really improve our W/L ratio by paying a bit more attention to it.

And this! Worst feature.

agreedon everything, funny thing is we seemed to be doing some really good smart dumps on the 1st two days when the game came out and then just got away from it

TheVisualizer said:
agreedon everything, funny thing is we seemed to be doing some really good smart dumps on the 1st two days when the game came out and then just got away from it

That's because some of us slowed down. :lol My guy was way too slow to chase after pucks. It seems more than anything we need to setup for often to try and get some nice cycling going rather than the one and done we seem to do a lot. Our puck movement is still lacking.

RS4-

Oh man, we should just keep on switching teams whenever someone is on :lol

Anyway, GGs Vis, nice cycle going on, getting between the gaps and redirecting pucks in.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
Oh man, we should just keep on switching teams whenever someone is on :lol

Anyway, GGs Vis, nice cycle going on, getting between the gaps and redirecting pucks in.
It's pure chaos then. No familiarity with the people you're playing with. :lol

RS4-

haha, think of it like drop-in games!

Speaking of which, it's pretty easy to get a good overall grade compared to last year. I'm holding a B+ after 54 games or so, which would be...like a C- in 10 :lol

edit - ugh, I really have to change the soundtrack one of these days.

RS4- said:
haha, think of it like drop-in games!

Speaking of which, it's pretty easy to get a good overall grade compared to last year. I'm holding a B+ after 54 games or so, which would be...like a C- in 10 :lol

edit - ugh, I really have to change the soundtrack one of these days.
Wanna trade? I can't get over the C+ hump.

GG's RS4 and Fixed, my bad about that last one, played crappy as a winger, but we ran into 3 guys that looked like they spent their lifesavings buying up all the boosts, they were faster and stronger than any team i've played so far

Fixed1979

TheVisualizer said:
GG's RS4 and Fixed, my bad about that last one, played crappy as a winger, but we ran into 3 guys that looked like they spent their lifesavings buying up all the boosts, they were faster and stronger than any team i've played so far

They were a very good team, had that cherry pick play down pretty good as well. I'm not sure the best way to defend against that.

Marvie_3

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
This is the first NHL game I put my own music in, they really screwed up this year, other years weren't that bad, but man, this year sucks.
They're shitty every year (except for Airbourne :D). I spent a couple hours making custom packs for each category last year. Just gonna use those again.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
God, they should fix the boarding calls. Love tap from behind = game misconduct. I've had 4 today :lol
It's the opposite for me. I get fuckin destroyed into the boards from behind and don't get a call. EVER.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
I'll make sure to change that when I play you :lol
You'll be fine. Refs won't call you for shit if its against me. You could probably kick my player's neck with a skate and attempt to slapshot his balls and the refs would just look the other way. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Actually finished a season of BAP tonight and met the requirements for a ton of boosts/slots. Of course none of the fucking things unlock. Really glad they spent time on broken sticks instead of making sure this game wasn't a totally fuckin broken piece of shit.

Marvie_3 said:
Actually finished a season of BAP tonight and met the requirements for a ton of boosts/slots. Of course none of the fucking things unlock. Really glad they spent time on broken sticks instead of making sure this game wasn't a totally fuckin broken piece of shit.

It is fixed it's a simple 80 MS points or whatever a piece. :lol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Alright team 1, who's going to be playing tonight? We need to catch up to Team 2, they're killing us in games played.

I only have to hit the gym tonight so I'm good to go majority of the night from 5pm to 1am. (minus 2 hours in there for whenever I hit the gym)

Marvie_3 said:

I had the same thing happen, had to up the difficulty from Rookie to Pro

RS4-

I got all the usual unlocks by playing on rookie. Just missing 2 slots I think; one is for the 100 EASHL games/2 seasons of BAP. Forgot what the other slot was, maybe a glove or skate one.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It is fixed it's a simple 80 MS points or whatever a piece. :lol
2s0e1w7.jpg

Kave_Man said:
Alright team 1, who's going to be playing tonight? We need to catch up to Team 2, they're killing us in games played.

I only have to hit the gym tonight so I'm good to go majority of the night from 5pm to 1am. (minus 2 hours in there for whenever I hit the gym)
I have class tonight so I'll be on around 11pm EST.

TheVisualizer said:
I had the same thing happen, had to up the difficulty from Rookie to Pro
I was already on Pro. :/

bumpkin

RS4- said:
lol I get called for a delayed penalty, they score, then I get a game misconduct all in the same play.
Ouch!

I remember when I first started playing the game, the very first goal I scored was one of those goals they review to potentially disallow (for a high-stick in this case). Thankfully they ruled it as good, but way to smack me upside the head with one of this year's new "features." :lol

Is anyone from team 2 going to be on tonight? I might be down to play a couple games this evening.

Top Bottom