• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

HUT was awesome for the first few days, now its getting really dull and shitty and way too much work to get players you'd actually enoy using

Marvie_3

Banned
BigJonsson said:
HUT was awesome for the first few days, now its getting really dull and shitty and way too much work to get players you'd actually enoy using
That and it's just too damn much micromanagement. I don't want to have to fuck around with contracts every 3 games and have to apply a bunch of training cards, etc etc.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Man you guys are really unlucky, only run into glitchers once in like 60 games

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, there is way too much bullshit play online anymore. Nothing but cherry pickers and glitch shots. Can't blame you for quitting. I'm sure I'll get to that point sooner than later this year.

Then I'll come back.

Repeat four dozen times.....

HUT sucks balls. :/

Did you change what league we were in? Didn't you say we were in a different one previously?

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, there is way too much bullshit play online anymore. Nothing but cherry pickers and glitch shots. Can't blame you for quitting. I'm sure I'll get to that point sooner than later this year.

Then I'll come back.

Repeat four dozen times.....

HUT sucks balls. :/

.....I'm glad I didn't go get that 360 last night

What is going on, I thought NHL 11 was supposed to be the promised land :(

TheVisualizer said:
im officially retired from the eashl, it was a good run but its making me the hate the game with the style of play thats going

gg's to all that i played with and good luck with the team

My guy finally doesn't suck where our dmen have to break into the zone for me and you bail on me? :(

I think it's all a story to hide that he really wants to play reach. ;)

ph33nix said:
.....I'm glad I didn't go get that 360 last night

What is going on, I thought NHL 11 was supposed to be the promised land :(

Be real, you wouldn't have gotten one anyhow.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe I'll just retire too...

You should. I tried for a while to figure out what kind of a moron who I've never talked to would troll me in here, and then I remembered:

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
RW over my dead body.

It makes more sense now.

Marvie/everyone else I need you to be damn honest though. Does the game really have terribly annoying issues? I decided for sure I'd have a 360 (motivated by the mWo forming in South Beach) but if I'm getting a 60 dollar game I gotta know that I'll be playing it for the whole year with a consistent crew and getting my money's worth. I don't really game that much anymore because I need to save money to pay off school so I only get games where I play in leagues or play online and shit, every money saved is worth it for me.

ph33nix said:
You should. I tried for a while to figure out what kind of a moron who I've never talked to would troll me in here, and then I remembered:

It makes more sense now.

Marvie/everyone else I need you to be damn honest though. Does the game really have terribly annoying issues? I decided for sure I'd have a 360 (motivated by the mWo forming in South Beach) but if I'm getting a 60 dollar game I gotta know that I'll be playing it for the whole year with a consistent crew and getting my money's worth. I don't really game that much anymore because I need to save money to pay off school so I only get games where I play in leagues or play online and shit, every money saved is worth it for me.

Whatever dude, I thought you were the guy who kept saying you were getting an xbox and kept not getting it. I made a mistake.

The game is still broken in the sense that you can still bullshit but it's definitely a step up from last year. Even though you can milk the system it's not as easy or prevelent as last year. It's always going to be broken to some extent unless they take out features I think. I didn't even think of spamming fighting in front of the net to prevent people from getting shots off but I ran into that last night. If you're afraid there won't be enough people on then wait a week or two. We knew we would get hit hard in attendence once reach came out so in another week or two I'm assuming we should have a pretty solid idea of who's going to be a regular. Team 2 is still pretty here except for now visualizer and we pretty much always had 4 to 5 people a night so if you and marvie and a couple others from Team 1 play then we should pretty much always have a full team but like I said you might want to wait to know for sure.

Edit: And it depends on if you sucking for a while in the beginning bothers you since everyone will be destroying you since you won't have pretty much any stats.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Are people honestly quitting already? I hope not.

One thing we need to stop doing (and I am guilty of it) is turning the puck over at the blue line as most of us are moving forward. I think if we slow the game down more and try to set up, we will play better. Plus, why are we playing Pros already?

LiveWire

DenogginizerOS said:

I'm not quitting; I'm more likely to quit on Madden this year than NHL. Speaking of, Marv, I checked my club invitations and I didn't see anything for the new team. I'll check again when I get home tonight, maybe I missed it somehow.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I've only played one game but NHL is keeping me turning on my 360 most nights now. I can say I might be able to help a bit with cherry pickers. I'm trying to focus exclusively on defense, so not jumping into the play unless it's absolutely needed and hanging back to prevent any breakaways.

Oddly enough I actually enjoy that. But anyways I have Monday and Tuesday off work next week so I play to finally test out this HUT and play a crapload of games online this weekend.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Man you guys are really unlucky, only run into glitchers once in like 60 games
I'm assuming it's because you fill up the glitcher quota for each game already.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Did you change what league we were in? Didn't you say we were in a different one previously?
It adjusts based on the team's play. We were bumped down to amateur already.

ph33nix said:

It makes more sense now.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The game is as broken as last year. The cross crease bullshit is much harder to do(which is fine because you can't make that pass anyway ;) ). The goalies are still retarded. The physics engine is nice though because guys dont bounce off you when you go for a check.

If you still have your PS3, play the demo.

DenogginizerOS said:

One thing we need to stop doing (and I am guilty of it) is turning the puck over at the blue line as most of us are moving forward. I think if we slow the game down more and try to set up, we will play better. Plus, why are we playing Pros already?
We're all guilty of that. Dump and chase is something we need to do a lot more. Even if the other team beats us to the puck, I'd rather lose the puck deep in their zone.

LiveWire said:
I'm not quitting; I'm more likely to quit on Madden this year than NHL. Speaking of, Marv, I checked my club invitations and I didn't see anything for the new team. I'll check again when I get home tonight, maybe I missed it somehow.
I know it's there as it's still listed in the pending invites list. You're checking your player hub right? If for whatever reason it's not there, search for the club and send a join request.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I earned my Pro card last night. I am converting from an offensive defenseman to a defensive one. Hopefully, I can move people off the puck more effectively now.

Anybody who needs an invite now should just send a request to the team. We have a few GMs, so you should get in pretty quickly.

Sorry to see you go Viz. =/ We only played one game together, but it was fun. And it was the game that made you quit. Which makes me sad. =( I was just joshing you about passing to me more. =P

Also, everyone else needs to chill out in here bros. You guys are too tense.

Pheenix............ Love to have you back man, but I can't honestly say this game is worth getting a 360 for. I mean, if you wanted one anyway for Halo and other leagues, then hockey is worth getting if you have a 360. But I wouldn't put it the other way around.

Marvie_3

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I earned my Pro card last night. I am converting from an offensive defenseman to a defensive one. Hopefully, I can move people off the puck more effectively now.
I got my veteran card last night. As I said before, when anyone gets close to a legend card, let us know. We'll help you get it since the grading system is fuckin broken in this series.

LiveWire, I went and resent the invite just in case it wasn't showing up for some reason.

Marvie_3

Banned
Amateur - 1 game played (OTP, EASHL, drop-in games only)
Rookie - 10 games played with a C- grade overall
Professional - 30 games played with a C grade overall
Veteran - 60 games and a B- overall
Superstar - 100 games and a B overall
Legend - 150 games with an A- overall

We'll see what happens because I was interested in doing the NCAA dynasty and the whole 2k/Jam thing with the 360 people but fuck, I'd have to spend a lot of money and I frankly don't feel good about spending on this stuff anymore since it often feels so short lived.

I'll probably feel different when I get my next few paychecks though!

By the way are they still bitches with grading? I felt so retarded playing the "EA" way for 150 games just to get the legend card.

Marvie_3 said:
I'm assuming it's because you fill up the glitcher quota for each game already.

It adjusts based on the team's play. We were bumped down to amateur already.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

The game is as broken as last year. The cross crease bullshit is much harder to do(which is fine because you can't make that pass anyway ;) ). The goalies are still retarded. The physics engine is nice though because guys dont bounce off you when you go for a check.

If you still have your PS3, play the demo.

We're all guilty of that. Dump and chase is something we need to do a lot more. Even if the other team beats us to the puck, I'd rather lose the puck deep in their zone.

I know it's there as it's still listed in the pending invites list. You're checking your player hub right? If for whatever reason it's not there, search for the club and send a join request.

No you just bounce off of them now. :lol Fucking weakass playmakers. Playmaker is more fun now that I have the stats to boost my checking but I get crushed now instead of taking hits.

ph33nix said:
We'll see what happens because I was interested in doing the NCAA dynasty and the whole 2k/Jam thing with the 360 people but fuck, I'd have to spend a lot of money and I frankly don't feel good about spending on this stuff anymore since it often feels so short lived.

I'll probably feel different when I get my next few paychecks though!

By the way are they still bitches with grading? I felt so retarded playing the "EA" way for 150 games just to get the legend card.

Maybe others disagree but I sure don't think so. They don't really give you much leeway with grading unless you play how they want you to. It says you're always out of position unless it's how they want you to play and stuff like that. And if you're only getting a 360 to play this game I don't think it's changed enough for you to be satisfied with your purchase in the long run if the old issues bother you a lot.

Heya! Is team #2 gone? Didn't find it when I searched for it.

I've applied for the NeoGAF team now though. Accept my appliance as soon as possible! I really want to play.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No you just bounce off of them now. :lol Fucking weakass playmakers. Playmaker is more fun now that I have the stats to boost my checking but I get crushed now instead of taking hits.

Maybe others disagree but I sure don't think so. They don't really give you much leeway with grading unless you play how they want you to. It says you're always out of position unless it's how they want you to play and stuff like that. And if you're only getting a 360 to play this game I don't think it's changed enough for you to be satisfied with your purchase in the long run if the old issues bother you a lot.
I've never had a problem with positioning grading... I don't think I've ever gone below A- in 11, and am usually A+. Maybe you ARE just playing out of position? Are you a D man who frequently receives the puck on the breakout? Are you a forward who receives 50% or more of his passes beyond 2 lines?

SnakeswithLasers said:
I've never had a problem with positioning grading... I don't think I've ever gone below A- in 11, and am usually A+. Maybe you ARE just playing out of position? Are you a D man who frequently receives the puck on the breakout? Are you a forward who receives 50% or more of his passes beyond 2 lines?

I've gotten B's when I've been faster so I break ahead for a pass that would lead to a breakaway and it's bitching at me that I'm completely out of position. I've gotten A's if I follow their arrows but lower if you try to anticipate something. I wish too I could find out how they weight the stats under team play and if one is more important than another. Like my checking is high but my poke checks are shit so is that hurting me?
Sniper McBlaze said:
Heya! Is team #2 gone? Didn't find it when I searched for it.

I've applied for the NeoGAF team now though. Accept my appliance as soon as possible! I really want to play.

Ya, team 1 and 2 are gone and now there's one team. You sent a join request to the new one? It's the traveling gypsies or something now just to make sure you sent it to the right team. Marvie is usually pretty good at checking so I'm sure he'll accept it when he gets a chance.

LiveWire

Yea I always get high marks, As or B- at worst for position and team play, my problem is stats. As a center I get graded on faceoff wins, goals scored, assists, points and plus/minus. In these pickup public games I'm getting like Ds and Fs thanks to my random teammates calling for the puck when the goalie is trying to freeze it and all 5 skaters from the opposing team are in the crease. :lol

LiveWire said:
Yea I always get high marks, As or B- at worst for position and team play, my problem is stats. As a center I get graded on faceoff wins, goals scored, assists, points and plus/minus. In these pickup public games I'm getting like Ds and Fs thanks to my random teammates calling for the puck when the goalie is trying to freeze it and all 5 skaters from the opposing team are in the crease. :lol

Unless we get our asses handled to us I can usually get a C so as long as I can keep my other two up then I should be ok for most of the new cards. I'm not even trying to get A- now because I just don't see that happening ever for me. :lol I'm definitely glad I'm not graded on faceoffs, I hate having to do them but I did ok my last couple of games. Timing online is totally different from offline which makes it weird.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've gotten B's when I've been faster so I break ahead for a pass that would lead to a breakaway and it's bitching at me that I'm completely out of position. I've gotten A's if I follow their arrows but lower if you try to anticipate something. I wish too I could find out how they weight the stats under team play and if one is more important than another. Like my checking is high but my poke checks are shit so is that hurting me?

Ya, team 1 and 2 are gone and now there's one team. You sent a join request to the new one? It's the traveling gypsies or something now just to make sure you sent it to the right team. Marvie is usually pretty good at checking so I'm sure he'll accept it when he gets a chance.

So it itsn't that Axis Force NeoGAF team with 8 members? Couldn't find anything when I searched for "gypsies".

Sniper McBlaze said:
So it itsn't that Axis Force NeoGAF team with 8 members? Couldn't find anything when I searched for "gypsies".

Nope. Do you have any of us on your friend's list? You can see what clubs other people are in by looking at friends in search clubs thing. If not if you let Marvie know I'm sure he can send you an invite if you can't find it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've gotten B's when I've been faster so I break ahead for a pass that would lead to a breakaway and it's bitching at me that I'm completely out of position. I've gotten A's if I follow their arrows but lower if you try to anticipate something.
So you get lower position grades for trying to cherry pick....imagine that. :lol

Sniper McBlaze said:
I sent you an invite to the new club.

Edit: What the fuck is your avatar? :lol

Nozdeuce

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It seemingly doesn't make a difference what stat you've increased. In practical terms though if you straight up flatten someone it's less likely he'll get the puck back, so more successful turnovers -> higher teamplay rating

Marvie_3 said:
So you get lower position grades for trying to cherry pick....imagine that. :lol

Cram it. :p

Nozdeuce said:
It seemingly doesn't make a difference what stat you've increased. In practical terms though if you straight up flatten someone it's less likely he'll get the puck back, so more successful turnovers -> higher teamplay rating

Ah, that's probably why then. When I check no one is usually close enough to gain control of the puck so they get it back a lot of times. I'm assuming my own turnovers don't help. I think I need to change camera angle so I can actually see my Dmen so when I get pressured coming into the zone I can pass back to them.

Also, does goalie have like no controls? I tried the tutorial it had and all it is is one drill where I stop three pucks from 3 different angles. I noticed LT makes you butterfly and stuff but am I going to the wrong place for a tutorial or is it just that shitty?

Nozdeuce

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, that's probably why then. When I check no one is usually close enough to gain control of the puck so they get it back a lot of times. I'm assuming my own turnovers don't help. I think I need to change camera angle so I can actually see my Dmen so when I get pressured coming into the zone I can pass back to them.
Yeah you're only awarded with a turnover if you free the puck and someone on your team gets it. Your own turnovers, bad passes and penalties will drop your teamplay rating. Coach likes checking though so keep doing that and you should be okay.

Marvie_3 said:

Edit: What the fuck is your avatar? :lol

Thanks man! You can ignore the PM I sent you. :)

Hehe, he's Sweden's first winner of Idol. Sexy as hell.

Marvie_3

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
Thanks man! You can ignore the PM I sent you. :)

Hehe, he's Sweden's first winner of Idol. Sexy as hell.
255ujc8.jpg

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Cram it. :p

Also, does goalie have like no controls? I tried the tutorial it had and all it is is one drill where I stop three pucks from 3 different angles. I noticed LT makes you butterfly and stuff but am I going to the wrong place for a tutorial or is it just that shitty?
Goalie is pretty much just the sticks and the triggers. LT drops you to butterfly, as you discovered, and RT glues you to the post. Right stick makes a "save" in the direction, but as far as I can tell, it's useless. Just stay in position and let the game autosave for you. Y covers the puck, but that's useless. Up on the right stick poke checks, but that's useless. Some of the other buttons do things, but they're mostly useless as well.

bumpkin

Geez, I miss a few nights and our captain (I think?) is throwing in the towel 'cuz of glitchers? That's no good. Although having had a fair amount of experience getting raped by glitches and lag-switchers in Gears of War 2, I guess I can understand the sentiment. I didn't really feel like the losses we endured a few days ago were nothing more than simply being out-played (except for that shit goal that one of us accidentally kicked in). It actually sounded like everyone was starting to gel the other night.

I'll still try to pop on tonight at some point, hopefully when some of you guys are still playing. Last night I was too little, too late; saw you guys on, but were playing other games. :lol

But yeah, I spent some time playing some of the "Ultimate" hockey team, and I got my ass utterly handed to me. Is it just me, or is it god-awfully hard to get goals on Pro difficulty? It seems like my teammates are never open for a pass/shot, and any time I try to slink a pass into a crowd, some CPU player *always* intercepts it. Is there a trick I'm just not getting?

This is of course night-and-day compared to how hard I raped the CPU (on Pro) in 2K9. I had several double digit goal games where the CPU scored less than 2 or 3.

Marvie_3

Banned
bumpkin said:
But yeah, I spent some time playing some of the "Ultimate" hockey team, and I got my ass utterly handed to me. Is it just me, or is it god-awfully hard to get goals on Pro difficulty? It seems like my teammates are never open for a pass/shot, and any time I try to slink a pass into a crowd, some CPU player *always* intercepts it. Is there a trick I'm just not getting
Um.....try not slinking a pass into a crowd. ;)

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:
Um.....try not slinking a pass into a crowd. ;)
I rarely have a choice; the morons never get open! :lol The one nice, satisfying goal I got in the games I played last night was a second chance shot after a juicy rebound on the goalie's blocker side.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hardyboy1224 said:
does nobody play thursdays???? this sucks got a club full of people and no one on.
I would have played if I hadn't been cramming OTP games trying to get my next card unlocked. 15 more to go!

BigJonsson said:
No one played tonight? I guess Halo has a great deal of "Reach"
:lol

:(

bumpkin

BigJonsson said:
No one played tonight? I guess Halo has a great deal of "Reach"
I was on for a little bit, but it was at like 11:30pm-ish (EST). Played a few games in HUT mode and called it a night.

I think it's official... The game has broken me. I finally downed the difficulty to rookie -- after being 0-3-0 on Pro -- and was finally able to win one. Sadly even that almost didn't happen! The CPU tied the game with 30 seconds left in the second, I tied it midway through the third, and literally got the game winner with 10 seconds left in the third.

This is a world of different from my 2K9 playing, for sure.

Marvie_3

Banned
bumpkin said:
I was on for a little bit, but it was at like 11:30pm-ish (EST). Played a few games in HUT mode and called it a night.

I think it's official... The game has broken me. I finally downed the difficulty to rookie -- after being 0-3-0 on Pro -- and was finally able to win one. Sadly even that almost didn't happen! The CPU tied the game with 30 seconds left in the second, I tied it midway through the third, and literally got the game winner with 10 seconds left in the third.

This is a world of different from my 2K9 playing, for sure.
The 2K series has gotten so arcadey in the last few years though. At least offline, NHL 11 forces you to play smart, legit hockey. It takes some getting used to(I was a 2K guy myself), but once you get the game down, you'll learn to love it. Obviously the game isn't perfect but it does seem to reward you for cycling and setting up good scoring chances.

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:
The 2K series has gotten so arcadey in the last few years though. At least offline, NHL 11 forces you to play smart, legit hockey. It takes some getting used to(I was a 2K guy myself), but once you get the game down, you'll learn to love it. Obviously the game isn't perfect but it does seem to reward you for cycling and setting up good scoring chances.
Yeah, it's a much different experience. When I played 2K, I used the classic/basic control scheme instead of the "Pro-stick". In NHL 11 I've been sticking exclusively to using the default controls (analog shot stick). I find that passing is my biggest problem; they get intercepted A LOT and frequently don't go to the player I was trying to pass to. It makes me wish it had an icon-passing indicator.

I'd say I'm so out of sync on the passing game that I've never had a single one-timer attempt. Usually I'm just stuck playing hot potato with the puck and eventually realizing I can't work it inside, so I just put a wrister on net; nine times out of ten, the goalie catches and freezes it. I'd say that 95% of the goals I've gotten playing the game have been second chance shots after a juicy rebound.

Just once I'd like to blast a slapper and have it beat the goalie glove side or something. Rebounds work, sure, but they aren't as satisfying. Not to mention it's all about having that trailing skater in the right place at the right time.

Marvie_3

Banned
bumpkin said:
Yeah, it's a much different experience. When I played 2K, I used the classic/basic control scheme instead of the "Pro-stick". In NHL 11 I've been sticking exclusively to using the default controls (analog shot stick). I find that passing is my biggest problem; they get intercepted A LOT and frequently don't go to the player I was trying to pass to. It makes me wish it had an icon-passing indicator.

I'd say I'm so out of sync on the passing game that I've never had a single one-timer attempt. Usually I'm just stuck playing hot potato with the puck and eventually realizing I can't work it inside, so I just put a wrister on net; nine times out of ten, the goalie catches and freezes it. I'd say that 95% of the goals I've gotten playing the game have been second chance shots after a juicy rebound.

Just once I'd like to blast a slapper and have it beat the goalie glove side or something. Rebounds work, sure, but they aren't as satisfying. Not to mention it's all about having that trailing skater in the right place at the right time.
It takes awhile to get used to. NHL 09 was my first EA hockey game in a long time. At first, when playing online, I'd use the classic controls. I'd practice offline with the new controls until I was comfortable enough with them to play online. Just keep at it and you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Sorry, I went out to dinner last night and was sick when I got home. Still feeling shit this morning. =/

Maybe later tonight for NHL depending on how I'm feeling.

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Sorry, I went out to dinner last night and was sick when I got home. Still feeling shit this morning. =/

Maybe later tonight for NHL depending on how I'm feeling.
That's what you get for being a vegan.

I'll definitely be on tonight. Picking up my new TV today so I'm going to be glued to it all weekend. :D

Top Bottom